Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Can you imagine what he'd look like if he had to wear those large Guardian safety helmets in practice? Have to wonder if he would be strong enough to lift his head.

View attachment 12104

Unless, of course, he opted to wear the Cleveland Browns version.

View attachment 12105

“Lord Dark Helmet” wouldn’t live solely in the intergalactic world of “Spaceballs”.

1683977409606.png

This is the best evaluation of Bryce Young I have heard yet. Tank Dell's evaluation is also interesting to listen to.

There's a lot of comparing these players vs. the norm. But what's relevant is comparing them to players to the current players in the draft class. All things equal, then sure. I'm taking the bigger player. But I am not taking a player of lesser skill, ability, and production just because of their size. Young, Dell, and Kancey produced. And have skills. I'm more willing to project those things than how a player fits a certain mold.

It's going to be interesting watching the Browns cap situation over the next couple of years... before this trade or signing of draft picks, they had $7M for this year and (-$63M) in 2024

It's going to be interesting watching the Browns cap situation over the next couple of years... before this trade or signing of draft picks, they had $7M for this year and (-$63M) in 2024

I expect this to be a one year rental. Smith seems like he’s going to be a mercenary at this point in his career. Browns got him for a good price though if he continues being a 10 sack performer.

Reactions: JB
Have you seen the Saints that went from 30m over to 26m under? All of their top 7 have $1m salaries, but have a 25'45m dead cap hit. Eventually, if someone gets hurt or retires or socks, it's going to hurt really bad, but they've been doing it for at least 7 or 8 years. The cap is a traffic cone

You mess with the bull.......you get the horns..........

*************************************************************************************

Many teams that opposed Thursday flexing got two short-week games
Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2023, 1:42 PM EDT

This season, seven teams will play on twice Thursday after playing on the prior Sunday: Steelers, Bears, Saints, Commanders, 49ers, Lions, and Packers. Of those seven teams, PFT has learned that at least six of them opposed late-season Thursday flexing.

Per various league sources, the Steelers, Bears, Saints, Commanders, Lions, and Packers opposed flexing on Thursday nights.
Only eight teams were against it. The Jets, who opposed the proposal, got a short-week Black Friday game. (The Jets are nevertheless very happy with that assignment._

We’ve been unable to determine whether the 49ers voted against late-season Thursday flexing. The fact that the Giants also opposed the change would seem to suggest that the 49ers didn’t, since that would be nine total opponents, not eight. (The Panthers and Broncos reportedly abstained.)

The league denies that this was a case of retribution for opposing Thursday flexing.

“There was absolutely no consideration or discussion regarding a team’s position on this issue when developing the schedule,” Chief NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT by email. “You’ve probably looked at the breakdown as well. Four of the teams are playing on Thanksgiving and also on Thursday night, which reflects their national appeal. Also, keep in mind that the vote to permit teams to play multiple short weeks passed.”

That vote passed by margin of 29-3. The Bears opposed it. The two other teams to vote no did not receive multiple short-week games.

The four teams that play both on Thanksgiving and on a short-week Thursday are the Lions, Packers, Commanders, and 49ers. (We’ll defer to others as to whether and to what extent each of those four teams currently have significant “national appeal.”)

With 22 teams voting in favor of late-season Thursday flexing, why not give the extra short weeks to the teams that had no apparent problem with having multiple short-week games? As national appeal goes, the Chiefs, Cowboys, Bills, Bengals,

Eagles have cachet up the yang yang. Regardless, the fact that so many of the teams that said “no” to late-season Thursday flexing got multiple short-week games is one hell of a coincidence, at best.

As to the Giants, some would wonder why they didn’t get a pair of short-week games, too. The simple explanation could be that, because co-owner John Mara was so vocal in his opposition to late-season flexing (he calls it “abusive” to fans), it would have been too obvious if the Giants hadn’t gotten the short end of the short-week stick.

So maybe Mara got his bushel of how-do-you-like-them-apples in a different way. Such as, for example, an unprecedented seven road trips in the team’s first 10 games of the season.

The purpose of this item isn’t to get to the bottom of the rabbit hole. We learned about the issue because one or more teams that receive multiple short-week assignments suspect a connection.

That alone makes it worthy of a mention, and of giving the NFL a chance to address the concern that is percolating among those who opted to block the plan to boost the Thursday night package.

He looks like one of the coaches' kid throwing warm-up passes.. I think my 8th grade QB was bigger than Bryce Young 🤔.

Lovie probably did us all a favor by winning that last game. I did NOT want Houston to draft B. Young. He could prove me wrong, but I just don't see how he's going to hold up physically in the NFL.

I guess on the bright side, when you barely have to squat down for the snap exchange, that's one less thing that can go wrong..

Flip side though, if the center ate too many beans.. He's going to blow Bryce Young off his feet. 🤣 Yep, no way he would've made it here.
Bryce won't be under center..............unless the Panthers figure out how to attach one of these to his helmet..........of course, without the NFL noticing................

1684068493408.png

I guess on the bright side, when you barely have to squat down for the snap exchange, that's one less thing that can go wrong..

Flip side though, if the center ate too many beans.. He's going to blow Bryce Young off his feet. 🤣 Yep, no way he would've made it here.

Is it me or can anyone else see a hardsnap getting stuck in Young’s face mask?

Trouble in Sin City:

"I'm going to have to buy into this and try to be as optimistic as possible," Adams said. "It's not what I expected to happen, but it's something that's the reality now."

New owner think Virginia will give twice amount Raiders got for new stadium.
NFL world reacts to absolutely wild Commanders news http://amp.thecomeback.com/nfl/washington-commanders-dan-snyder-stadium.html

When the new owner starts looking for a new stadium.....he better put a lot of thought in a new name. The Commanders with a basic ducking "W" on the helmet looks like shite. New owner needs to pony up whatever the copyright owner of the "Red Hawks" name wants and re-introduce the old "R" in the circle with a feather hanging logo....but ditch the yellow/gold helmets.

YouTube and the NFL are not concerned about the fans' experience.......they both have a captive captured audience with captured monies.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

NFL fans become nervous about YouTube TV after issues with NBA game
Posted by Mike Florio on May 18, 2023, 5:54 AM EDT

The NFL could be flirting with a new-age Heidi situation.

On Wednesday night, technical issues marred the final minutes of YouTube TV’s TNT stream of the Heat-Celtics NBA playoff game. Via SI.com, the game went to commercial with a little more than four minutes remaining and “the stream just lost it.”

“Many fans saw the same ad starting and stopping for what felt like an endless amount of time, and it never came back for the rest of the game,” writes Andy Nesbitt of SI.com.
Apparently, it was a commercial for the new live-action version of Disney’s The Little Mermaid.

YouTube TV acknowledged the existence of a problem: “If you have an issue watching the Miami Heat vs. Boston Celtics game on TNT, we’re aware of it & our team is working on a fix — thx so much for your patience!”
With Sunday Ticket moving to YouTube TV this season, fans are understandably skittish about the potential technical issues with the shift from DirecTV, which had more than its fair share of Sunday Ticket-related technical issues.

The folks behind the Sports TV Ratings account on Twitter believe last night’s glitch happened because TNT was using “dynamic ad insertion” with YouTube TV, something broadcast affiliates don’t use.

The key word to add to this is “yet.” In order to make back their massive investment in Sunday Ticket, YouTube undoubtedly will be exploring any and all strategies to enhance revenue, both from customers and from advertisers.

The good news for NFL fans is that last night’s situation gives the NFL good cause to insist that YouTube TV confirm, re-confirm, and re-confirm again that things will work smoothly when the time comes to stream the full package of out-of-market games.

King propagates the disingenuous company line that Young has only sustained one shoulder injury in college.

Otherwise a very good discussion on considerations of bringing along any rookie QB.
***********************************************************************************

How Panthers are approaching Young’s development
I dunno how good of a coach is McCown, and should we regret that he's not down here in Houston grooming CJ instead of being up in Carolina working with Young ?

I dunno how good of a coach is McCown, and should we regret that he's not down here in Houston grooming CJ instead of being up in Carolina working with Young ?
From all feedback I have received, as far a QB coach, he has been tops in handing down experience to all those younger QBs he worked with on all teams he has been on.

I don't like the proprosed rule either.

**********************************************************************************

Opposition increases to new fair catch rule
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2023, 8:11 PM EDT

The next evolution in the kickoff rule was supposed to be the adoption of the NCAA-style rule that results in a fair catch inside the 25 being placed at the 25. That apparently won’t be happening.

As recently explained by Albert Breer of SI.com, special-teams players and coaches have accelerated the opposition to the rule.

The proposal was passed unanimously by the Competition Committee in March. The issue was tabled from March to May, an acknowledgement that the vote would have failed if it had happened at the annual meeting in Arizona.

Based on Breer’s report, it sounds as if it’s even more likely to fail now.

The issue, according to Breer, was discussed last week during a regularly-scheduled call among the league’s special-teams coordinators. They decided to recruit special-teams players to participate in active opposition against the rule.

One concern with the rule is that it will spark more squib kicks inside the 25, which couldn’t be fair caught and would have to be returned. That could create more, not less, chaos on special teams.

The proposed change comes from an overriding desire to make the most dangerous play in the game, as the league has called it, more safe. It’s been a focal point for the past decade or so, with gradual changes aimed at making the play safer.

It started with efforts to spark fewer returns. Several years ago, a more comprehensive change to the rules was devised to reduce the full-speed nature of the impacts during kick returns.

One question that emerged in the aftermath of the March meetings was whether playing surface has a role in the question of injuries during kickoff returns.

If switching to grass could make the play safer, it’s another reason to switch to grass. But the NFL has no desire to do it, because it would be expensive to do so.

So in lieu of spending a little extra money to make the game safer in all phases, the NFL would rather make dramatic changes to one of the most important aspects of special teams.

This is what happens when crooks deal with crooks. I'm glad I withdrew my bid before all this happened! 1684673431340.png

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Brian Davis’s company seeks $500 billion over failed Commanders purchase
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2023, 9:21 AM

The very strange situation regarding the failed effort by former Duke basketball and NBA player Brian Davis to buy the Washington Commanders could get more strange, sooner than later.

For starters, A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.com reports that Davis’s company, Urban Echo Energy, seeks $500 billion in damages from Bank of America in the lawsuit filed over the alleged failure of Bank of America to communicate a $7.1 billion offer to Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.
https://yeahmotor.com/funny/funny-t-shirts-on-amazon/
In most civil cases, a specific figure is not required in the opening complaint. Damages will be determined through the proceedings. Usually when a dollar amount is demanded — especially a high one — it’s for publicity purposes. And a $500 billion demand will generate plenty of publicity.

The more relevant number, for now, is $5 billion. That’s the amount of the bank draft that allegedly was tendered to Bank of America by Urban Echo. As noted by sports betting attorney Daniel Wallach, the $5 billion apparently comes from the Estate of Severino Garcia Sta. Romana. As also noted by Wallach, research regarding the Estate of Severino Garcia Sta. Romana quickly leads to an “incredible tale of large quantities of gold illegally acquired by former Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos from a CIA operative.”

The tale of Brian Davis’s effort to buy the Commanders already has become incredible. It could become even more incredible as this litigation plays out — especially if the end game is to challenge the NFL’s rules regarding who can buy a team and where the money can come from.

This is what happens when crooks deal with crooks. I'm glad I withdrew my bid before all this happened! View attachment 12142

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Brian Davis’s company seeks $500 billion over failed Commanders purchase
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2023, 9:21 AM

The very strange situation regarding the failed effort by former Duke basketball and NBA player Brian Davis to buy the Washington Commanders could get more strange, sooner than later.

For starters, A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.com reports that Davis’s company, Urban Echo Energy, seeks $500 billion in damages from Bank of America in the lawsuit filed over the alleged failure of Bank of America to communicate a $7.1 billion offer to Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.
https://yeahmotor.com/funny/funny-t-shirts-on-amazon/
In most civil cases, a specific figure is not required in the opening complaint. Damages will be determined through the proceedings. Usually when a dollar amount is demanded — especially a high one — it’s for publicity purposes. And a $500 billion demand will generate plenty of publicity.

The more relevant number, for now, is $5 billion. That’s the amount of the bank draft that allegedly was tendered to Bank of America by Urban Echo. As noted by sports betting attorney Daniel Wallach, the $5 billion apparently comes from the Estate of Severino Garcia Sta. Romana. As also noted by Wallach, research regarding the Estate of Severino Garcia Sta. Romana quickly leads to an “incredible tale of large quantities of gold illegally acquired by former Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos from a CIA operative.”

The tale of Brian Davis’s effort to buy the Commanders already has become incredible. It could become even more incredible as this litigation plays out — especially if the end game is to challenge the NFL’s rules regarding who can buy a team and where the money can come from.

very tasty

Did not any intelligent person foresee this. Next thing we'll hear is that organized crime is getting involved. From what I've heard from friends of mine in Las Vegas, gambling in person and online is already infiltrated.

***************************************************************************************************

Report: NFL is investigating a new wave of violations of gambling policy
Posted by Mike Florio on May 22, 2023, 10:37 AM EDT

As the NFL makes more and more money from legalized gambling, the NFL faces more and more problems from the involvement of players and others connected to the game in wagering on sports.

David Purdum of ESPN.com reports that the NFL is currently investigating a new wave of potential violations of its gambling policy. This development comes just weeks after five players were suspended either for betting on pro football (minimum of one year) or betting on other sports while on team property (six games).

No details have been provided regarding the nature of the violations. It’s one thing for the NFL to have evidence fall into its laps, as it does when sports books tell the league that players and/or non-players are using gambling apps on their own phone. It’s quite another to be proactive and creative in the exploration of more subtle efforts to place bets, the possibility of people influencing the outcome of certain waiters, and/or the handling of inside information.

The league needs to take it seriously. Just one scandal can spark legislation and/or prosecution and/or regulation.
And if it’s not an issue that lands front and center on the agenda for the spring meetings in Minneapolis, it definitely should be.

Did not any intelligent person foresee this. Next thing we'll hear is that organized crime is getting involved. From what I've heard from friends of mine in Las Vegas, gambling in person and online is already infiltrated.

***************************************************************************************************

Report: NFL is investigating a new wave of violations of gambling policy
Posted by Mike Florio on May 22, 2023, 10:37 AM EDT

As the NFL makes more and more money from legalized gambling, the NFL faces more and more problems from the involvement of players and others connected to the game in wagering on sports.

David Purdum of ESPN.com reports that the NFL is currently investigating a new wave of potential violations of its gambling policy. This development comes just weeks after five players were suspended either for betting on pro football (minimum of one year) or betting on other sports while on team property (six games).

No details have been provided regarding the nature of the violations. It’s one thing for the NFL to have evidence fall into its laps, as it does when sports books tell the league that players and/or non-players are using gambling apps on their own phone. It’s quite another to be proactive and creative in the exploration of more subtle efforts to place bets, the possibility of people influencing the outcome of certain waiters, and/or the handling of inside information.

The league needs to take it seriously. Just one scandal can spark legislation and/or prosecution and/or regulation.
And if it’s not an issue that lands front and center on the agenda for the spring meetings in Minneapolis, it definitely should be.

I need to watch the Last Boyscout again

I don't like the proprosed rule either.

**********************************************************************************

Opposition increases to new fair catch rule
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2023, 8:11 PM EDT

The next evolution in the kickoff rule was supposed to be the adoption of the NCAA-style rule that results in a fair catch inside the 25 being placed at the 25. That apparently won’t be happening.

As recently explained by Albert Breer of SI.com, special-teams players and coaches have accelerated the opposition to the rule.

The proposal was passed unanimously by the Competition Committee in March. The issue was tabled from March to May, an acknowledgement that the vote would have failed if it had happened at the annual meeting in Arizona.

Based on Breer’s report, it sounds as if it’s even more likely to fail now.

The issue, according to Breer, was discussed last week during a regularly-scheduled call among the league’s special-teams coordinators. They decided to recruit special-teams players to participate in active opposition against the rule.

One concern with the rule is that it will spark more squib kicks inside the 25, which couldn’t be fair caught and would have to be returned. That could create more, not less, chaos on special teams.

The proposed change comes from an overriding desire to make the most dangerous play in the game, as the league has called it, more safe. It’s been a focal point for the past decade or so, with gradual changes aimed at making the play safer.

It started with efforts to spark fewer returns. Several years ago, a more comprehensive change to the rules was devised to reduce the full-speed nature of the impacts during kick returns.

One question that emerged in the aftermath of the March meetings was whether playing surface has a role in the question of injuries during kickoff returns.

If switching to grass could make the play safer, it’s another reason to switch to grass. But the NFL has no desire to do it, because it would be expensive to do so.

So in lieu of spending a little extra money to make the game safer in all phases, the NFL would rather make dramatic changes to one of the most important aspects of special teams.

The nfl really needs to adopt one of these spring football leagues, like the xfl. They can use a minor league to get a better look at players (already do) but they could also try out rule changes and collect some data before making changes in the big league.

That said, i actually like the way the xfl does kickoffs. The powers that be may want to look at that and see if its a viable option for the nfl.

The nfl really needs to adopt one of these spring football leagues, like the xfl. They can use a minor league to get a better look at players (already do) but they could also try out rule changes and collect some data before making changes in the big league.

That said, i actually like the way the xfl does kickoffs. The powers that be may want to look at that and see if its a viable option for the nfl.

I believe the XFL and USFL need to get another season and maybe a 3rd before this becomes viable to even approach.

If they could this….then they need to start serious merger talks. Set up the initial team base of 16 teams.

Next, those teams need to be sold as franchises. IMHO, there are several players who’ve played their cards right financially and could really entertain the thoughts of becoming an owner….whereas getting into an NFL franchise requires most to be billionaires.

I believe the new league could get those TV rights sold if they were willing to move the league to Tuesday and Wednesday Night during the CFB and NFL season.

If they really wanted to see the NFL take notice, don’t be afraid to allow a 5 Star HS recruit to sign with one of the teams. That would also let CFB know that there’s a new option on the table. When this happens and a couple of good seasons are in the books….then it would only be a matter of time before talks, about making this league an NFL minor league system, could begin in earnest.

Finally, stadiums would be awesome if they were designed to give 20-25 thousand fans the ultimate game experience.

This is just skimming through the concept, but it gives a basic direction.

Last edited:
Back