Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt "he is just awesome" Thread

This is what I said.

We're 4-5..... & regularly give up 30 points. DPOY?

Really?

This is the list of AP DPOY winners:

Non-Play-off winners (not counting strike years):
1992 Cortez Kennedy 2-14 Seattle Seahawks (10th ranked defense... 17th scoring D)

2001 Michael Strahan 7-9 New York Giants (sets single season sack record in 2001)

2004 Ed Reed 9-7 Baltimore Ravens (6th rank defense, 6th scoring D)

2006 Jason Taylor 6-10 Miami Dolphins (4th ranked defense, 5th in scoring)

Since 2007, all DPOY winners were at least in the play offs.

So while it is possible for Jj Watt to win the DPOY on a losing team, I think it's highly unlikely. So if you're one of those guys who think we're going to finish 8-8 or worse, forget about Jj winning DPOY... & he has no chance of winning MVP. OR just get ready for disappointment.

I've heard this told several times now and my understanding is Rick wanted Petersen and the trade was in place. When Petersen was selected one spot ahead of San Francisco's pick, the decision had to be made whether to still follow through with the trade or just pick at 11. Wade convinced the room "they'd be alright with Watt", so Rick didn't get to make the trade.

My wife was just asking me if JJ had a lot of pub during the Draft, and I told her not really as I recall ? The guy I remember as being the big target for the Texans was Aldon Smith as I can remember pre-Draft reports in the Chronicle that he was Wade's guy. Now maybe that was a red herring the wile Phillips was spreading to the local media, but that's why I was curious about Wade's apparent luke-warm apparaisal of Clowney because of course he was this years version of Aldon Smith.

Well, that's mighty gracious of you.

I can entertain an argument that your football takes are not awful, but I'm not sure many here aside from you would take it up.

Fitting me with the dunce cap are you ? Well go right ahead, I'm not the least bit thin-skinned when it comes to these things. Actually I like to think I fill the role of devil's advocate around here from time to time, a little dissention often spices up the discussion.

My wife was just asking me if JJ had a lot of pub during the Draft, and I told her not really as I recall ? The guy I remember as being the big target for the Texans was Aldon Smith as I can remember pre-Draft reports in the Chronicle that he was Wade's guy. Now maybe that was a red herring the wile Phillips was spreading to the local media, but that's why I was curious about Wade's apparent luke-warm apparaisal of Clowney because of course he was this years version of Aldon Smith.

As I recall, JJ was a sure top-20 pick. There wasn't a lot of hype here for him, although a lot of the guys that follow the draft were really high on him, because most of us felt like he played the same position that Mario played and we didn't expect them to "double-draft" that position.

However, JJ was known to be a high-motor, high-IQ, extremely talented guy and there were some people (I wasn't one of them) who really, really, really wanted us to draft him.

Personally, I was confused by the pick. After all the good things I'd heard about him, I was glad to have him on the team, but I didn't see how Wade was going to make all the pieces fit.

:vincepalm:

So while it is possible for Jj Watt to win the DPOY on a losing team, I think it's highly unlikely. So if you're one of those guys who think we're going to finish 8-8 or worse, forget about Jj winning DPOY... & he has no chance of winning MVP. OR just get ready for disappointment.

Have you seen the pundits fawn over J.J.? The guy would have to finish the year playing ring around the rosie instead of tackle football to lose the DPOY.

He's in that rare status right now of a guy whose name has become practically synonymous with a particular award.

Folks there are two very distinct camps here. Those of you who buy into the Heisman has to be on a winning team and a QB or ........ maybe RB thing. And those of us who actually look at players.

Yes you don't give a **** about merits folks have won in Heisman voting. It's a disrespected honor now because of what you have done even if you continue to win.

So continue on with your stupid criteria instead of looking at individual performance. History will show JJ as a better Bob Lilly and y'all as, well, ...

Have you seen the pundits fawn over J.J.? The guy would have to finish the year playing ring around the rosie instead of tackle football to lose the DPOY.

He's in that rare status right now of a guy whose name has become practically synonymous with a particular award.

Last year he got two votes. Last year arguably the best performance from a defensive end to date.

Two votes.

This is what I said.

This is the list of AP DPOY winners:

Non-Play-off winners (not counting strike years):
1992 Cortez Kennedy 2-14 Seattle Seahawks (10th ranked defense... 17th scoring D)

2001 Michael Strahan 7-9 New York Giants (sets single season sack record in 2001)

2004 Ed Reed 9-7 Baltimore Ravens (6th rank defense, 6th scoring D)

2006 Jason Taylor 6-10 Miami Dolphins (4th ranked defense, 5th in scoring)

Since 2007, all DPOY winners were at least in the play offs.

You just proved the opposite. Only one winning team.

Last year he got two votes. Last year arguably the best performance from a defensive end to date.

Two votes.

Don't you mean two years ago was the best performance? Last year he had half the sacks and less than half the PD's that he had the previous year. Still solid numbers but not DPOY level numbers.

Most people never heard of non-QBs outside of the potential top 5 picks until after the draft. Personally I was hoping for Aldon, but I didn't spend near the time on the draft that I do now and didn't know he was cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Media, local and otherwise, has proven many times they have no better insight into not-obvious selections with a few exceptions. See Bortles @ #3 as latest.

Wade, with the info he had, would have drafted Clowney.

And iCak is right. If you're talking rookie football players, Aaron Donald should win DROY... but somebody who sacks the QB or who is a QB/WR likely gets it. I prefer the former.

You just proved the opposite. Only one winning team.

Not exactly. I said we're 4-5 & regularly give up 30 points. The guys who were on losing teams were on pretty good defenses, or set the single season sack record.

Don't you mean two years ago was the best performance? Last year he had half the sacks and less than half the PD's that he had the previous year. Still solid numbers but not DPOY level numbers.

I think two years ago was his best season & this season looks to be playing out better..... but there are those out there saying last year was better, despite the sack totals.

Then again, I still believe we'll have a winning record & we'll be in the play-offs & it will largely be due to the way Jj Watt will play from here on out. So... y'know, just arguing to argue.

Not exactly. I said we're 4-5 & regularly give up 30 points. The guys who were on losing teams were on pretty good defenses, or set the single season sack record.

I think two years ago was his best season & this season looks to be playing out better..... but there are those out there saying last year was better, despite the sack totals.

Then again, I still believe we'll have a winning record & we'll be in the play-offs & it will largely be due to the way Jj Watt will play from here on out. So... y'know, just arguing to argue.

Interesting that in 2012 the Texans were 12-4 and JJ gets the award. In 2013 they were 2-14 and (in the opinion of some) his overall game was better and he never got a sniff at the award. This year the Texans are a .500 team and he is being talked about again. Sounds like team success does matter greatly when giving individual awards.

Interesting that in 2012 the Texans were 12-4 and JJ gets the award. In 2013 they were 2-14 and (in the opinion of some) his overall game was better and he never got a sniff at the award. This year the Texans are a .500 team and he is being talked about again. Sounds like team success does matter greatly when giving individual awards.

Just as much of a correlation can be made between J.J.'s stats and awards from then to now as team record.

2012 - breaks 20 sacks, becomes J.J. "S"watt, gets DPOY
2013 - 10 less sacks, 9 less swats, no DPOY
2014 - 8.5 sacks, 7 swats, 3 TD's through 9 games, the trophy's sent for etching

Just as much of a correlation can be made between J.J.'s stats and awards from then to now as team record.

2012 - breaks 20 sacks, becomes J.J. "S"watt, gets DPOY
2013 - 10 less sacks, 9 less swats, no DPOY
2014 - 8.5 sacks, 7 swats, 3 TD's through 9 games, the trophy's sent for etching

I think we said the same thing...

Except I don't think the voters give half a turd whether we go sub-.500 or not when deciding J.J. is the DPOY.

I didn't see this mentioned, but thought it was appropriate for the "JJ Watt is awesome" thread. I heard Jerrell Powe on the radio say that while with the Chiefs last season, after they watched film on their opponent, the defensive line coach would have them watch film on Watt. Not Watt against their upcoming opponent, but whoever the Texans played the previous week. Every week.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...m-weekly/b3aa8a47-e8a1-4a37-a286-b65bbecb852a

“We always watched film on him when we were in Kansas City,” Powe said on the Verizon Texans Players radio show on Tuesday. “Coach Brasher always used to make us watch his pass rush cut up every Friday so every Friday we had to watch J.J.’s game from last week.”

With the way he started the year, the amount of attention he's gotten, and the lack of a dominant alternate choice, I'd be very surprised if Watt doesn't win DPoY.

This DPOY topic is silly. EVERYONE in the league knows Watt is the best defensive player right now. Even if he doesn't win it the trophy will end up in his hands anyway because whoever wins it will feel so guilty he probably shows up at Watt's front door the next day and say to him shamefully, "Here, I think this belongs to you."

watttd.0.gif

:swatter:

Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome.

He's gotta stop the personal fouls though. First one didn't cost us, second one cost us. All it takes is a stupid personal foul in a more critical game (a la Antonio Smith against the Ravens) and it'll be devastating. At least he's getting the fouls from playing too hard rather than being dirty, which I'm absolutely 100% thrilled about.

I f*king hate dumb motherf*kers who think they own sht.

I never said anything about being #1, only that I doubt the defensive player of the year will be on a team with a losing record, same as the league MVP.

We've played 9 games, gave up 30 points in 4 of them, three of the last four. That could be considered regularity, which is what I said... nothing, not a damn thing about average score.

Then I suggest you change the Award to best player on a winning team if you are going to exclude half the league.

He had a better 2012, and he won it.

He's having a better 2014, and he's clearly out in front.

Those who study the film rather than just the stats would disagree. Most of those conclude his 2013 season was even better because of his non stat disruptions.

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt
That was fun.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/11-November/temp_2MP3310--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/11-November/temp_2MP3311--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/11-November/temp_2MP3314--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]

Last edited:
Just wondering. Is there a special reporting requirement for JJ to come in at TE like a tackle eligible play since he doesn't wear a designated TE number? I didn't know if that was just in college or how that works.

Just wondering. Is there a special reporting requirement for JJ to come in at TE like a tackle eligible play since he doesn't wear a designated TE number? I didn't know if that was just in college or how that works.

Yes, he reported as an eligible receiver.

I'll give O'Brien this much; he may not be overtly politicking for J.J. to win MVP but he sure as hell is keeping him on the national radar by playing him at TE.

Playing on the punt team. What's up with that? Save the guys snaps for defense. And the red zone offense, of course.

I tend to agree for no other reason than let the man rest. My wife commented that he always looks like he's gassed when they show him on the field. He gives all he's got on every play. However, in spite of rumors, he is human and his body needs the occasional rest.

That said, my theory is JJ wants a TD from a blocked punt to complete his own Trifecta of Awesomeness. TDs in every phase of the game would boggle some minds, including mine.

I'll give O'Brien this much; he may not be overtly politicking for J.J. to win MVP but he sure as hell is keeping him on the national radar by playing him at TE.

Wondering about that on the punt team as well. Blocking one is the only thing I can think of missing from his defensive resume.

I tend to agree for no other reason than let the man rest. My wife commented that he always looks like he's gassed when they show him on the field. He gives all he's got on every play. However, in spite of rumors, he is human and his body needs the occasional rest.

That said, my theory is JJ wants a TD from a blocked punt to complete his own Trifecta of Awesomeness. TDs in every phase of the game would boggle some minds, including mine.

I'm pretty sure he does want that...

That said...He's played on field goal block since he's been here....That's special teams too....

I think the reason we'll see him rushing on punt block is because those LB's have no chance at blocking him, and a blocked kick is a huge momentum changing play...even the punter just not getting as much leg into it is good.

And teams can't really adjust to that. They could throw a couple of O-linemen out there, but then they'd hurt themselves trying to cover the kicks.

I agree, he needs rest....but I would still let him try to block a punt or two per game...

I'm pretty sure he does want that...

That said...He's played on field goal block since he's been here....That's special teams too....

I think the reason we'll see him rushing on punt block is because those LB's have no chance at blocking him, and a blocked kick is a huge momentum changing play...even the punter just not getting as much leg into it is good.

And teams can't really adjust to that. They could throw a couple of O-linemen out there, but then they'd hurt themselves trying to cover the kicks.

I agree, he needs rest....but I would still let him try to block a punt or two per game...

yeah, he's a special dude. Elite talent with a selfless attitude that is all about team and most importantly, all about winning.

I loved how fired up he got after those mistakes on the punts. Between his staring down Browns fans and pacing like a caged tiger, dude is so intense and focused that you can't help but get fired up as a fan. I can only imagine what his attitude does for his teammates.

And that TD catch was spectacular. Amazing if it had been AJ or Hopkins, but truly mind blowing to see a DE out there doing it.

Playing on the punt team. What's up with that? Save the guys snaps for defense. And the red zone offense, of course.

Wondering about that on the punt team as well. Blocking one is the only thing I can think of missing from his defensive resume.

I wonder how long until he attempts a pass.

I hope he doesn't start passing.

At the risk of bringing the wrath of the board on my head, has anyone considered that he roughed the punter (twice!) in an effort just to check off Blocked Punt on this year's growing list of accomplishments? Maybe just a little bit too much stat sheet watching?

I am now going to Stop, Drop, and Roll.

I know he has gotten a blocked punt in the past, but I don't remember which game.

I hope he doesn't start passing.

At the risk of bringing the wrath of the board on my head, has anyone considered that he roughed the punter (twice!) in an effort just to check off Blocked Punt on this year's growing list of accomplishments? Maybe just a little bit too much stat sheet watching?

I am now going to Stop, Drop, and Roll.

I agree he probably doesn't need to be in on punts, but the offensive plays are just plain fun... not to mention very distracting to the defense.

I agree he probably doesn't need to be in on punts, but the offensive plays are just plain fun... not to mention very distracting to the defense.

He's gonna be a helluva decoy from here on out, even if not actually used

I think we can relax on the punt thing. O'Brien said that maybe J.J. doesn't need to be on the punt team any more during his coaches show on 610 radio yesterday.

I think we can relax on the punt thing. O'Brien said that maybe J.J. doesn't need to be on the punt team any more during his coaches show on 610 radio yesterday.

Understandable, but I think they should try rushing him from the edge instead of straight on.

This'n right hee-a.

The guy is a legit threat even when he's no surprise and wide left with a DB assigned to him.

LB, and he lined up TE, and motioned wide.

That's all semantics though, lets get some pictures up in this piece. This is from Football Analytics:

jmigX4T.png

Back