Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt "he is just awesome" Thread

that was a kinda a cheap shot on Met and I'm ok with that. Wish every time Watt made a good play on defense the crowd would yell, "SHUT YOU DOWWWWN!!!!". :swatter:

What was cheap about it?

I do not get the 'cheap shot' angle, either.

Was there a flag on it? Nope.

People like to bitch about the NFL putting flags and skirts on QBs, but then you see a hit like that - perfectly legal - and I do not see flags or skirts.

And screw Pancakes McClain (I, for one, refuse to call him the general...a name I suspect he gave himself, btw) for his insinuations. J.J. caught that tone in his press conference and I'm glad he called out Pancakes for it. Starting controversy when there is none is lame and very lazy journalism, which Pancakes has been known for awhile. He backtracked quickly when J.J. gave him a scowl.

I didn't think JJ had a shot at catching that pass. I thought it came in too hot for anybody to even see it, but damn that JJ hands is like a black hole.

Why do they throw to JJW, when they have tight ends? That is a slap in the face to the receivers. Those guys get bonus bucks for touchdown receptions and JJW is stealing their money. The 85 Bears threw a pass to refrigerator William Perry once and only once. This is an insult and Watts needs to get off the "me,me,me" show.

Alright mettenburger get your butt back over to the taks board.

Alright mettenburger get your butt back over to the taks board.

He's got somewhat of a point though, at some point people will get tired of the JJ talk, and it'll brew into a problem in the locker room. Hopefully the hype and how good JJ is doesn't go to his head and continue to spark jealousy/problems in the locker room.

JJ is a great player but you can't expect everyone to give up everything all the time as much as he does. Some of the things such as the selfiegate raised a few eyebrows on his actions of late, will be interesting to see if the hype doesn't turn him into Mike Tyson.

I do not get the 'cheap shot' angle, either.

Was there a flag on it? Nope.

People like to bitch about the NFL putting flags and skirts on QBs, but then you see a hit like that - perfectly legal - and I do not see flags or skirts.

And screw Pancakes McClain (I, for one, refuse to call him the general...a name I suspect he gave himself, btw) for his insinuations. J.J. caught that tone in his press conference and I'm glad he called out Pancakes for it. Starting controversy when there is none is lame and very lazy journalism, which Pancakes has been known for awhile. He backtracked quickly when J.J. gave him a scowl.

There was no flag but there dam sure should of been one. I'm not saying that I like it that way just that that is the way the game is called now. 15 years ago that was the norm. In fact I liked it better that way. Which is why I said i have no problem with it.

You know good and well that if the table was turned and that was our QB getting smashed well after he threw the ball this board would erupt with, that was a cheap shot post.

He's got somewhat of a point though, at some point people will get tired of the JJ talk, and it'll brew into a problem in the locker room. Hopefully the hype and how good JJ is doesn't go to his head and continue to spark jealousy/problems in the locker room.

JJ is a great player but you can't expect everyone to give up everything all the time as much as he does. Some of the things such as the selfiegate raised a few eyebrows on his actions of late, will be interesting to see if the hype doesn't turn him into Mike Tyson.

I'm sure it will eventually. I sure it already has with our rival fans. Lots of People start haten when a person gets to popular. Any little thing he does will be scrutinized and blown out of proportion. Nothing you can do about that. It's nice that someone with that kind of notoriety is on our team.:fans: Screw the haters!!!

1. Anyone who has an issue with the JJ talk is just jealous. There is no way you can hate his effort if you have any shred of pride in your craft (you meaning players). Who is going to be able to legitimately hate JJ for his accomplishments? None of the veterans appear to be that pathetic and no rookie is going to step up to Watt without action to backup talk. That's the sort of locker room I believe our team has, in large part, thanks to McNair.

2. Sure you can. I don't expect the same results of course, but I sure as hell expect a NFL player to lay it out on every down. Does that happen? Of course not, but I still expect it. If they don't, I have a feeling they will get traded, waived, or marginalized in the team before they try to ***** about the well-deserved attention Watt gets.

I doubt his success will get into Watt's head personally. He seems to have too much pride for it. We are talking about a guy who strived to get better AFTER signing his mega contract to prove he deserved it instead of coasting (Fat Albert anyone?) and continues to convince that he actually might be worth more to than his contract.

There was no flag but there dam sure should of been one. I'm not saying that I like it that way just that that is the way the game is called now. 15 years ago that was the norm. In fact I liked it better that way. Which is why I said i have no problem with it.

You know good and well that if the table was turned and that was our QB getting smashed well after he threw the ball this board would erupt with, that was a cheap shot post.

I still don't get why you (and others) think there should have been a flag on that play

For what?

Popular opinion still does not change that it was not a cheap shot.

And my own opinion does not sway with the breeze of forum opinion.

If it was a dirty shot, we would have seen a flag in this day and age of QB safety-bubble regulations.

Football is a contact sport.

I just saw the replay for the first time. It looked like JJ thought he had a sack and was tackling the QB. I'm not sure he knew the ball was thrown. Maybe if the Possum fans whine enough, they will feel better.

Funny. The only way I would call that WELL AFTER is if I lived my life in slow motion. But at real speed, I dare you to time it at even close to a half second and .3 seconds is the traditional time thought requires to react to an outside stimulus. At the time he acted, the arm still could have been either a pass or pump. From our perspective looking back, perhaps it seems more obvious than it really was in real time.

Popular opinion still does not change that it was not a cheap shot.

And my own opinion does not sway with the breeze of forum opinion.

If it was a dirty shot, we would have seen a flag in this day and age of QB safety-bubble regulations.

Football is a contact sport.

I don't know what you mean by popular opinion. Just because there was no flag doesn't mean there was no foul. JJ was held on at least five plays in that game alone and there was no flag. JJ has had flags thrown against him for hits less illegal than that IMO many times. Clowney was lined up in the nuetral zone on the INT TD by Joseph last week and there was no flag.

I love the guy and I'm glad there was no call but to suggest that was not a foul in todays game is just being a homer. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Someone make an animated gif of the play. I can't seem to find one.

Anyone have video of the hit in question. For all I am reading here, I would think it would be everywhere, but nothing. Did see Foster do a nice job making sure a little kid wasn't "Saints Fan'd" after his TD though. :-)

I don't know what you mean by popular opinion. Just because there was no flag doesn't mean there was no foul. JJ was held on at least five plays in that game alone and there was no flag. JJ has had flags thrown against him for hits less illegal than that IMO many times. Clowney was lined up in the nuetral zone on the INT TD by Joseph last week and there was no flag.

I love the guy and I'm glad there was no call but to suggest that was not a foul in todays game is just being a homer. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Someone make an animated gif of the play. I can't seem to find one.

Ok I finally just found a replay and man I have to say, it looked a lot worse when I watched it live. I was wrong. That was not a cheap shot. If I hadn't seen that replay I would have been here arguing with you guys all night. :strangle: Wow I can't believe it looks that much different now. My bad guys!:wadepalm:

Ok I finally just found a replay and man I have to say, it looked a lot worse when I watched it live. I was wrong. That was not a cheap shot. If I hadn't seen that replay I would have been here arguing with you guys all night. :strangle: Wow I can't believe it looks that much different now. My bad guys!:wadepalm:

That's how it's done when you change your mind for whatever reason, right there. Props, man! :fans:

He has run unimpeded routes. Not knocking the throws or catches.

But my 2nd point was the main one. The QBs stay focused on getting him the ball. He hasn't done anything special but they pull the trigger.

That is the key right there...

If they would pull the trigger for AJ and trust him to make a play, he would have averaged about 20 td's a season

Maybe AJ needs to do something with his career that would make a QB trust him! I'm being facetious, of course, but it does make you wonder why, over the entire course of AJ's career, no QB/coach has "trusted" him with that. Well, one QB did, but for a very short stretch.

Maybe AJ needs to do something with his career that would make a QB trust him! I'm being facetious, of course, but it does make you wonder why, over the entire course of AJ's career, no QB/coach has "trusted" him with that. Well, one QB did, but for a very short stretch.

Cak nailed it earlier... he's been an outstanding decoy and they assume he's going to be double covered or covered by the best db so they don't even look his way. His number is never called in the red zone because of assumptions in my opinion

Cak nailed it earlier... he's been an outstanding decoy and they assume he's going to be double covered or covered by the best db so they don't even look his way. His number is never called in the red zone because of assumptions in my opinion

I would have to assume that 11 years of watching film has either reinforced that opinion or shown that he's good enough to beat it.

That looks like it's good but I have no idea what WPA and EPA is.

WPA - Works Progress Administration for us old farts. I'm sure this was not intended.

EPA - Evil government Agency that takes your property without just compensation if you spill a cup of coffee on it. Again, probably not intended.

But it is interesting how the jargon changes over time.

I would have to assume that 11 years of watching film has either reinforced that opinion or shown that he's good enough to beat it.

That's the thing - in the redzone it isn't so much beating as being thrown the ball where only the receiver can catch it or where you trust them to just go get. And when we have needed those must have TDs and 2 pt conversions they've gone to him and he's made the plays. But absent desperation Kubiak schemed someone else open.

That's the thing - in the redzone it isn't so much beating as being thrown the ball where only the receiver can catch it or where you trust them to just go get. And when we have needed those must have TDs and 2 pt conversions they've gone to him and he's made the plays. But absent desperation Kubiak schemed someone else open.

^^^ Yep! And perhaps because he's always been the focal point, it was figured that while he was a good decoy someone else could get a bone for once. It's not like he complained

Anyone have video of the hit in question. For all I am reading here, I would think it would be everywhere, but nothing. Did see Foster do a nice job making sure a little kid wasn't "Saints Fan'd" after his TD though. :-)

Found it.

TheScore.com

Reactions: TD
The thing that bothered me the most about this was he absolutely knew the ball was out and he rolled his hips driving him into the ground. If that would have been our QB we all would have been climbing out of seats to take to the field ourselves.

You're seeing something I don't see at all. I agree we would be upset if it was our QB, it has been many times in the past, but that is because we are fans, not because it was deserved

The thing that bothered me the most about this was he absolutely knew the ball was out and he rolled his hips driving him into the ground. If that would have been our QB we all would have been climbing out of seats to take to the field ourselves.

That doesn't bother me at all. I've seen that done in lots of games by lots of players to lots of QBs, by us, against us, by others, against others. If a pass rusher is able to get to a QB without getting a penalty, they will lean on them, push them down, and do everything they can to knock the QB down, trying to just push the envelope of roughing the passer.

I don't see the issue. He was in the air and his momentum was carrying him forward. What exactly should he have done instead of what he did?

None of this is true. Look again. All he did was hang on because the laws of physics (particularly momentum) and gravity were all that there was to work with.

Just a point. If you want to make this illegal, then you have to make the pump illegal as well because stopping on the anticipation of a throw is the only way to change this play.

ps This is not a dismissal of that rule change possibility. There are several archaic rules which should be modified, even though ingrained into out tradition. The most common is the stiff arm to the head (ie Heisman pose). Head slaps should be universally outlawed regardless of the position played just as leading with the helmet, whether top, bottom or faceguard. Perhaps limit the tackle zone to mid thigh to under the arms. But there would be some new techniques or rule changes needed to keep runners from going to their traditional head down, low to the ground form for short yardage.

if you watch closely watt jumped just before (at the same time) the QB was throwing the ball.
He then had the time just to tip his toes to the ground, I don't think with the speed he had it would have been possible to stop.

And if you watch how he falls on the QB, notice how his arms are extended to absorb the hit. He could have fallen flat with all his weight on the QB.

Unfortunately mettenberg was on a side rather than on his back, that's why he got injuried.

Or at least this is what I see in the video

It's actually kind of embarrassing but I'd rather admit I was wrong than keep arguing a stupid take.

With the way things are called these days I thought it could've been flagged. To me, it wasn't going to be flagged for a late hit. It'd be called for driving him into the ground. Which, after I re-watched, wasn't the case after all.

The rookie T Lewan, who wasn't playing, took issue with it. He doesn't seem like an ass about it. Sounds like he might've gotten up in Watt's grill after though.

"That pissed me off – it really did," Lewan said. "Because (Watt) hit him and then he kind of picked him up a little bit … That wasn't OK."

Did Watt cross the line by driving Mettenberger into the turf?

"I'm not even going to comment on that," Lewan said of the hit, which was not penalized. "It's football. Injuries happen. Things happen. But I probably would have tried to do something if I was out there."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/tit...an-frustrated-watt-hit-mettenberger/19752387/

My point on the flag is that hits to the QB are called 99.9% of the time if they are in violation of the rules. There is a referee specifically watching the QB for that specific reason. There is no comparison to the line of scrimmage with 10-12 players engaged with each other in tight quarters.

It's all good, man. I had the benefit of DVR and literally rewatched the play at least a dozen times when it happened.

It was a tough hit, no doubt about it. But I noticed the momentum and split second decisions being made, and when the referee on the scene did not call it when it happened right in front of him, I felt it was safe to say it was legal.

Props for being a man and changing your perspective. Not enough of that from dudes these days. Much respect.

Are you a mind reader? How can you possibly know with absolute certainty what Watt was thinking at that specific moment in time?

And our QBs have taken numerous hits without fans crying about it. Remember the sack record set by David Carr? This city has seen more than its fair share of Texans QBs getting hit hard without resorting to climbing out of seats.

It is football. You know, a collision sport.

J.J. Watt Blew Out The Titans, All On His Own
Deadspin
There was a lot going right for the Texans yesterday, as they beat the brass off the Titans 45-21. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for six touchdowns; DeAndre Hopkins caught nine balls on nine targets for 238 yards and two touchdowns; and in a week of blowouts, flatlined Tennessee's Win probability under 20 percent in the first quarter, and kept it there. But those are all secondary concerns, because to anyone watching closely, J.J. Watt was a one-man Star Destroyer.

The box score tells you enough to get across that Watt had a great game-he had a strip sack and fumble recovery, and scored a touchdown on offense, and pressured the hell out of the Titans QBs. But because pass rush stats are so subjective, different sources have different stats. The ESPN standard box score has Watt down for three solo tackles, two sacks, one tackle for a loss, and six QB hits; Pro Football Focus put him down for two sacks, four hits, four hurries, and three "stops;" my amateur viewing of the game came up with threeish hurries, four hits, and the two sacks.

Just on the surface, that's a fantastic stat line, even against a team as bad as the Titans. At PFF's reckoning of 10 total sacks/hits/hurries, Watt was messing up 28.6 percent of all Tennessee dropbacks, on his own. But even that doesn't tell it all. Watt dominated this game in such a unique way from the defensive end position that it's worth going over in more detail.

By my count, the Titans ran directly at Watt just twice all game, and a few other times he chased a runner out of his lane before he even committed, forcing him inside for a short gain. The Titans QBs also held the ball for 2.5 seconds or more just seven times, going to quick passes out of shotgun to neutralize the rush. While Mettenberger hasn't thrown deep a ton this year, he's done well when he has, and virtually no offense is going to be able to thrive for long when its running backs are shying away from one side of the field and the quarterback is on a fast timer to get the ball out before Watt can get to him.

Here's a drive-by-drive summary of how J.J. broke the Titans.

Titans Drive 1

Some of the above shows up on the stat sheet, some doesn't. But just remember that while J.J. is a minor statistical miracle all on his own, his actual impact on the game is even grosser than the numbers can show.
Deadspin goes drive-by-drive cataloging Watt's disruptions.

Lewan needs to STFU when he's spectating,

And Zachenberger didn't seem too upset with JJ when he sought him out after the game to shake his hand.

Lewan needs to STFU when he's spectating,

And Zachenberger didn't seem too upset with JJ when he sought him out after the game to shake his hand.

I agree. It never sounds good when anybody says "If it weren't for (this) I would have (that)," especially when it's a rookie talking about an All-Pro and possible MVP of the league.

Maybe the Tacks should break out some old home movies of Albert Haynesworth.

(too funny, for spelling purposes on "Haynesworth" I was going to google "Titans Albert" to get it. So I type "Titans" then google auto-adds "dirty players" so I hit that. Sumbitch if Haynesworth's wiki page wasn't right there for me to spell. :lol:)

Whatever "journalist" wrote that doesn't understand the difference between the words assent and ascent.

And the MVP award is a fkn joke that needs to be put to rest already. When you automatically exclude defense from any chance at winning the award, it basically becomes the Offensive Player of the Year award. Oh wait, they already have that. No reason to keep the MVP award then. Just scrap it if you're never going to consider defensive players.

Whatever "journalist" wrote that doesn't understand the difference between the words assent and ascent.

And the MVP award is a fkn joke that needs to be put to rest already. When you automatically exclude defense from any chance at winning the award, it basically becomes the Offensive Player of the Year award. Oh wait, they already have that. No reason to keep the MVP award then. Just scrap it if you're never going to consider defensive players.

I was going to comment about te ascent thing, but I wasn't sure so I dropped it.

I agree with you, but it's not like this is the only example of awards being given this way....

like the whole world champ thing :)

PS: the page URL still reads "assent" :D

I agree completely. They should just make a MVQB award and be done with it.

I watched the replay probably about 20 times, and I really don't see anything wrong with it. I think the only reason it's being talked about is because of the whole selfie thing that went on in the previous game. If Mettenberger wasn't injured on the play it would have just been another sack by JJ. Now, because he was injured, people are gonna sit around and pick the play apart frame by frame and complain about it just to have something to do. :pissed::rant:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-better-99-in-sundays-texans-jaguars-game/

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has become the best known player currently wearing No. 99. But there’s a chance that, come Sunday, he won’t be the best No. 99 at EverBank Field.

That title could go to Jaguars defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Mark, who’s having a career season for a team that has won only two games.

For more from Marks, who deserves serious Pro Bowl consideration for getting seven sacks as an interior defensive lineman on a time that rarely is playing from ahead, click the thing below.

Florio is such a ****ing hack. Poke the bear dipshit, poke the bear. Bortles shall pay for your sins.

Back