Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt "he is just awesome" Thread

Which would be dumb because he's *clearly* the most valuable player in football at this juncture.

ThFw4hE.gif

Because he does commercials and makes a couple of appearances on a TV show that makes him a media whore?
Yep, doing commercials, stopping by a pee-wee league practice and buying your mom a new car make you a media whore. :boogereater:

Funny - I've never heard that take (media whore) from anyone who met him in person. A very humble guy who's thrilled to be doing what he does for a living.

He has no shot at the MVP if we're not in the play offs.

Maybe the law of averages kicks in, as it has been 41 years since someone won the MVP on a non-playoff team (OJ Simpson with the '73 Bills). Of course, OJ was the first player in history to rush for 2,000 yards that year, so JJ would have to really keep doing what he's doing for another 10 games.

Because he does commercials and makes a couple of appearances on a TV show that makes him a media whore?

I base than on what my Houston friends tell me, which is, he's on just about every commercial in Houston. He doesn't need the money, why the massive amount of commercials? He likes attention. No big deal, just an observation. That's the only turn-off in my book. In other words, I think Watt is awesome.

Disaacks, sorry to hurt your feelings. I clearly wasn't talking about anything but the attention he seeks. Geez, sorry for the sacrilege....lol.

I base than on what my Houston friends tell me, which is, he's on just about every commercial in Houston. He doesn't need the money, why the massive amount of commercials? He likes attention. No big deal, just an observation. That's the only turn-off in my book. In other words, I think Watt is awesome.

Disaacks, sorry to hurt your feelings. I clearly wasn't talking about anything but the attention he seeks. Geez, sorry for the sacrilege....lol.

Verizon and HEB are running a lot of commercials but I'd hardly say he was doing a ton of them. He does a few and they run them a ton of times...

Marketing

Verizon and HEB are running a lot of commercials but I'd hardly say he was doing a ton of them. He does a few and they run them a ton of times...

Marketing

Disagree. A ton of commercials.

Please understand, I come from the Bill Hicks train of thought. I love JJ Watt, but hate his Doritos commercials (ala Jay Leno).

He's fantastic as a football player, that's where it ends for me. I just don't worship people.

Disagree. A ton of commercials.

Please understand, I come from the Bill Hicks train of thought. I love JJ Watt, but hate his Doritos commercials (ala Jay Leno).

He's fantastic as a football player, that's where it ends for me. I just don't worship people.

I can agree with the bolded...

Don't know if I've seen the doritos commercial

Btw, I thought you were in Austin... you getting his commercials up there?

I can agree with the bolded...

Don't know if I've seen the doritos commercial

Btw, I thought you were in Austin... you getting his commercials up there?

God yes...and they suck, all of them. :D

I think what started me on this was his commercial saying "this is the official [Ford] truck of JJ Watt and the Houston Texans."

Fast forward to the opener against the Redskins. They showed JJ coming to the stadium in a black sports car that had 450 horses if it had one.

My old school train of thought despised that. He's going to the Texans game, full of cash from the Ford company, and driving something else. Of all times to drive something else.

I'm not naive, but what a bullsh!t thing for a guy to whore a product and not use it.

God yes...and they suck, all of them. :D

I think what started me on this was his commercial saying "this is the official [Ford] truck of JJ Watt and the Houston Texans."

Fast forward to the opener against the Redskins. They showed JJ coming to the stadium in a black sports car that had 450 horses if it had one.

My old school train of thought despised that. He's going to the Texans game, full of cash from the Ford company, and driving something else. Of all times to drive something else.

I'm not naive, but what a bullsh!t thing for a guy to whore a product and not use it.

Yeah it's always bothered me that he's doing those Ford truck commercials like he drives one every day

I saw Peyton Manning eating a pizza once... and it WASN'T PAPA JOHN'S!!!!!!

Aaron Rogers rear ended me once. We exchanged insurance info and his was ALL STATE!!!!!

I saw LeBron James once... in A BURGER KING!!!!!

That's it. I've lost faith in humanity. If I can't trust a commercial shill, who can I trust?

I'm not subjected to the media overload, but the talk of it reminds me of my sig line. It's a take from a game called Mass Effect 2. You get to a point in the game where you are on a space station and being the famous guy you now are when you go to a store they ask you to cut a promo and say it's your favorite store on the station. You can do it for EVERY store and no one ever seems to catch on.

From the stuff I have seen on AFN and ESPN I can see how it could get a tad old after awhile.

On the bright side it's not Johnny Footbal.

Aaron Rogers rear ended me once. We exchanged insurance info and his was ALL STATE!!!!!

That's it. I've lost faith in humanity. If I can't trust a commercial shill, who can I trust?

I guess some people view honesty in different lights.

Does the Papa John commercials ever tout themselves as the official pizza of Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos? If so, then if you ask me he's no more honest with the public than JJ Watt is if JJ doesn't drive a Ford truck

The dude's a multi millionaire. Isn't it possible he owns more than one car? I guess I'm just used to watching celebrities sell products. It's marketing. I don't think Shaq and Tiger drive everywhere in a Buick. I don't think Pit Bull only drinks Dr. Pepper. I mean, Ford is the official truck/SUV of the Texans, Hyundai is the official car of the Texans, and BMW is the official luxury car of the Texans. I don't think it's a big deal if Watt doesn't drive a truck one day or McNair shows up in a Bentley.

BTW yes, Papa John's is the official Pizza of the Denver Broncos (and the Texans) -- according to Peyton Manning:

"I've been a fan of Papa John's pizza for a long time, and now knowing John Schnatter, his team and the business intimately over the past year, I am thrilled to formally join Papa John's as a franchisee in partnership with the brand," Manning said. "It's a smart investment now and will be long after I'm done playing football. I'm particularly impressed by John's drive to make everything about Papa John's better along with his ambition and plan to continue growing the brand around the world. Also, Papa John's being the Official Pizza of the Denver Broncos makes this even more exciting."

http://ir.papajohns.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=716522

Other than the fact that a big deal is made of him not buying anything other than a car for his mom, yeah.

I get that's it's just marketing 101

Only thing I said was that it bothered me a bit, just like it would if he does doritos commercials saying that they were his choice of chips, if he never ate the damn things but did enjoy Wavy Lays from time to time

The dude's a multi millionaire. Isn't it possible he owns more than one car? I guess I'm just used to watching celebrities sell products. It's marketing. I don't think Shaq and Tiger drive everywhere in a Buick. I don't think Pit Bull only drinks Dr. Pepper. I mean, Ford is the official truck/SUV of the Texans, Hyundai is the official car of the Texans, and BMW is the official luxury car of the Texans. I don't think it's a big deal if Watt doesn't drive a truck one day or McNair shows up in a Bentley.

BTW yes, Papa John's is the official Pizza of the Denver Broncos (and the Texans) -- according to Peyton Manning:

http://ir.papajohns.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=716522

Not worth it.

If. . . you. . .

I mean he's playing at the highest level we've seen a DL play in decades. Who gives a **** if he's in a bunch of commercials to make money? This guy is a mega sports star because he is really damn good at football. If his play on the field isn't suffering then who cares if he is in HEB, Verizon, Doritos or whatever else commercials?

These guys's careers are short enough as it is, and run the huge risk of being cripple by the time they are 60. If he wants to get as much money as he can while he's got the spotlight who are we to deride him for this? Are we better than him?

The dude's a multi millionaire. Isn't it possible he owns more than one car?

Yeah car makes this complaint all that much worse. Rich folks have one for each mood. Now if he has a pickup and it's not a Ford, then I can understand a complaint.

And for a 2nd dose of reality, this isn't Ford's first endorsement rodeo. If they wanted an exclusive deal, they'd have gotten one.

Pretty sure this is sarcasm:clap:

Yeah car makes this complaint all that much worse. Rich folks have one for each mood. Now if he has a pickup and it's not a Ford, then I can understand a complaint.

Where would he keep them? I read he is still in his same old house with a two car garage.

Wonder if he was just driving the same black Lexus he's had for years.

Where would he keep them? I read he is still in his same old house with a two car garage.

Wonder if he was just driving the same black Lexus he's had for years.

No idea on his parking situation.

But my main point was Ford's a big boy and this isn't their first rodeo. If they wanted exclusive (or even to all Texans' events) they know how to get it.

But my main point was Ford's a big boy and this isn't their first rodeo. If they wanted exclusive (or even to all Texans' events) they know how to get it.

Yeah...I think if they cared, they might have given him a Ford for his mom too.

My point, like yours I think, is that its a silly subject.

JJ is either the real deal humble guy or the greatest marketer on the planet.

My point, like yours I think, is that its a silly subject.

Yup.

On a side note, I'm always baffled by marketing period. I simply find it incredible to believe there is anyone out there whose choice between Chevy, Dodge and Ford comes down to "well JJ drives a Ford."

Yup.On a side note, I'm always baffled by marketing period. I simply find it incredible to believe there is anyone out there whose choice between Chevy, Dodge and Ford comes down to "well JJ drives a Ford."

Never underestimate the potential stupidity a fellow human can possess.

Yeah and some people take **** way too serious...

Never knew expressing an opinion would offend so many

Guess if you don't toe the majority line you must be stupid

I guess some people view honesty in different lights.

Does the Papa John commercials ever tout themselves as the official pizza of Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos? If so, then if you ask me he's no more honest with the public than JJ Watt is if JJ doesn't drive a Ford truck

Does Manning drive around only in a Buick Verano calling audibles? More to the point, does JJ Watt have a contract with Ford stating he only drives their brand to the stadium? im guessing the answer to both questions is "no". Advertising and marketing is dishonest by nature. Not Manning or Watt's dishonesty here.

JJ Watt is awesome but, since joining the team in the seven games where Watt has been his most disruptive (five or more combined sacks, batted passes and stuffs), the Texans are just 3-4, according to Stats LLC.

Meanwhile, Texans are 15-17 when Watt collects two or less sacks, batted passes and stuffs. When he finishes with three or more, they’re 12-10. When Watt has been completely shut down by the opposing team and limited to less than one sack, batted pass and run stuff, the Texans are only 7-8.

Not an indictment against Watt, just that he needs more help around him, especially on the other side of the ball.

Does Manning drive around only in a Buick Verano calling audibles? More to the point, does JJ Watt have a contract with Ford stating he only drives their brand to the stadium? im guessing the answer to both questions is "no". Advertising and marketing is dishonest by nature. Not Manning or Watt's dishonesty here.
I dunno man, I heard Manning spent his last family vacation in Hawaii. Ohama must have been pissed at wasting all that money on him.

Lying asshole!

Really since Ford is the "Official truck and SUV" of the Texans, driving a car isn't dishonest in the slightest....marketing, Watt, or otherwise.

DE J.J. Watt
(on if he’s concerned about a trend forming after losing three games in a row by seven or less this year and nine by seven or less in 2013) “Losing is a bad trend. I said it after the game, you give away points, you’re not going to have too much success. We need to make sure we get all that figured out.”

(on if what the Texans need to figure out is mental or physical) “It’s both. I mean, it’s concentration. It’s discipline. We need to do a better job in all three phases.”

(on if he’s confident the team can get it figured out this season) “Yeah. I like the way that we work. I like the way that we fight. And I said it after the game and I mean it, we do a good job of fighting back. (I’m) just getting real sick of saying that we do a good job of fighting back. So if we put ourselves in good position and we don’t just hand away points like we’ve been doing, we’ll be just fine.”

(on if he feels a real sense of urgency in the locker room) “Yeah, I mean we want to win. Every single week you play the game of football you have a sense of urgency. I don’t think I’ve ever been part of a week where there wasn’t urgency. If I am, I think that’ll be the day that I probably should hang it up but I don’t see that day coming for a long, long time.”

(on if there is anything new this year that he has to adjust to, as far as how teams play him) “There are always things, yeah. Everybody has their own version of throwing something at me and that’s fine, whether it’s double-teams, triple-teams, chips, extra guys, slides. You name it, I’ve seen it and that’s fine. That’s part of the challenge. I’ve always enjoyed it. If you’re going to send two or three guys at me, there are 10 other guys on the defense you have to worry about. That also doesn’t guarantee that you’re going to slow me down. That’s part of my favorite (thing), is the challenge of knowing that they’re trying to stop me and going out there and trying to find a way to beat it.”

Needs its own thread, imo... So good!

It's not a question of you or him... because it's always him.

He's the hammer, everyone else is the nail.

Back