Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt "he is just awesome" Thread

Nice rant...

...other than the fact the fines are agreed to by the players.

Yes that is the rule they justified the fines under. But JJ hit him on the thigh pad both times and so should not have drawn a flag for either

Here is an article that makes your argument...........it includes nice screen shots of the 2 plays.

Just as a medical commentary on a hit like this, whether considered legal or illegal,........such a hit is very dangerous to the health of the knees, especially the ACL (protection of the knees being the real intent behind the rule to begin with).

When hitting the thigh just above the knee, the thigh is forcefully pushed backwards. At the same time, when the arms are wrapped around the legs below the knees, the defender is forcefully pulling the leg (tibia) towards himself.

These are the same forces and mechanics that you see the medical staff checking for ACLs on the field following injury. They are checking for the "Anterior Drawer Sign." In other words, they are checking if by holding the femur back or stable (ala., shoulder pads on thighs), while pulling forward on the tibia (ala., defender pulling the leg towards himself)........the tibia moves forward over the femur (thigh bone).........thus showing the ACL is likely torn as this ligament acts as a check ligament that, when intact, precludes such abnormal movement in the knee joint.

ca0911_acl-fig1_191029_191032.jpg

ca0911_acl-fig2_191033_191036.jpg

knee-comparison.gif

Just as a medical commentary on a hit like this, whether considered legal or illegal,........such a hit is very dangerous to the health of the knees, especially the ACL (protection of the knees being the real intent behind the rule to begin with).

Oh I understand they are dangerous, but according to the rule they are supposed to be legal. The league covered up mistakes in this instance IMO.

Stat question. You listed it as 9 QB hits, 7 of which were legal. Are you sure the two which were flagged were included in the 9 hits? Generally they take away any associated stats if the play is ruled illegal. So it may have been 11 QB hits with 2 not counted since flagged.

I will say this. IMO JJ has made a conscious decision to hit the QB to the full extent allowed. He knows the ball is gone and will go ahead and hit the QB if he thinks he can get away with it. I say that as a good thing and great extra effort...but it's going to draw some flags when refs disagree that he could have pulled up, etc.

Can't believe they even FLAGGED Watt on those ***** ass plays, but I can believe they fined him.

SMH. This league sucks. Watt and the Texans are the only thing truly holding my interest.

I'm with you on that, i love football, always have but the NFL is no longer the football i like. If not for the texans i would not watch a single game besides college and even that is getting to be less like football.

Oh I understand they are dangerous, but according to the rule they are supposed to be legal. The league covered up mistakes in this instance IMO.

Stat question. You listed it as 9 QB hits, 7 of which were legal. Are you sure the two which were flagged were included in the 9 hits? Generally they take away any associated stats if the play is ruled illegal. So it may have been 11 QB hits with 2 not counted since flagged.

I will say this. IMO JJ has made a conscious decision to hit the QB to the full extent allowed. He knows the ball is gone and will go ahead and hit the QB if he thinks he can get away with it. I say that as a good thing and great extra effort...but it's going to draw some flags when refs disagree that he could have pulled up, etc.

This is actually from PFF.....I can't interpret this beyond what was posted.

The original PFF wording is even more confusing:

Watt’s nine hits (including one negated by his own roughing the passer penalty) were more than all but eight other 3-4 defensive ends had in the entire 2013 season.

I'm with you on that, i love football, always have but the NFL is no longer the football i like. If not for the texans i would not watch a single game besides college and even that is getting to be less like football.

While I totally agree that the game is being wussified, it's always been give and take, especially from a historical standpoint. I mean, what are you going to do? Go back to the slow, plodding game that football was in the '70s when WRs had their hands in the dirt at the line of scrimmage, for God's sake? Or how about the overtly huge emphesis on the run game back in the '60s?

For my money we'll never see football again like that perfect decade between the early-80s to the mid-90s. That decade and change, to me, was the height of the game. Not out of nostalgia, but with the more even rules, the balance on both sides of the ball...God bless Pete Rozelle.

I'll have to go back & watch the second one. The first one, I didn't think it deserved a fine, unless they are saying he had time to pull up, which is arguable.
The second one occured on a screen play. The RT job was to hold Watt and release but JJ was too quick blowing by the guy, he panicked and pushed Watt in the back(foul) causing him to loose elevation on his launch to the QB. On special teams there is no roughing the punter if a defender is pushed into the kicker. I would think the same applies on pass rush? But I would say JJ shoulder pads did aligned very close to EJ knees on that second one.

The second one occured on a screen play. The RT job was to hold Watt and release but JJ was too quick blowing by the guy, he panicked and pushed Watt in the back(foul) causing him to loose elevation on his launch to the QB. On special teams there is no roughing the punter if a defender is pushed into the kicker. I would think the same applies on pass rush? But I would say JJ shoulder pads did aligned very close to EJ knees on that second one.

yeah i saw that on the replay and thought the block in the back on JJ should of been flagged because it was the reason he was low when hitting the QB

Have to say, outside of a couple of plays JJ was ordinary vs. Cowboys, and I saw a lot of one-on-ones. They play-called around him, no doubt, but he was mostly neutralized. I'm hearing he was injured, so...?

JJ is truly the best defensive player in the league (and I
love the guy, I think he is destined for Texans greatness)

-- but that whiff on Romo cost us the game.
It led directly to a big-play score, something the Texans just
can't seem to stop doing!

He had a wide open shot and instead of making a form
tackle went higher than he should have.

When I watch that play over and over it looks to me like
he was looking to make a strip sack (waiting for Romo
to wind up for a throw) or a pancake tackle for a turnover.

If he just makes the play instead of trying to make
"the big play" we may have won that game.

There were so many mistakes by both teams in the game.
Foster was the reason we had a chance.

Has anyone considered that JJ may have attempted to change his hits on the QB based on the stupid officiating of last game?

That's what I saw. A player attempting to play within a stupid set of rules designed protect the QB. The rules certainly make it much easier to evade a sack and Romo took advantage when JJ tried to move away from any kind of direct contact. An arm tackle if you will. Any other time he would have planted him center mass.

The way the rules are now, a defensive player can't win. Either make a sure tackle and face fines or try to make a tackle using an adjusted style which might allow escape. Get used it. It's the new improved NFL. The only way around it is to get pressure from multiple D linemen at the same time allowing no room for the QB to maneuver.

Did you watch any other games yesterday? We gave up two big plays. I bet that's in the better half... maybe even quarter of the league.

JJ is truly the best defensive player in the league (and I
love the guy, I think he is destined for Texans greatness)

He had a wide open shot and instead of making a form
tackle went higher than he should have.

When I watch that play over and over it looks to me like
he was looking to make a strip sack (waiting for Romo
to wind up for a throw) or a pancake tackle for a turnover.

If he just makes the play instead of trying to make
"the big play" we may have won that game.

There were so many mistakes by both teams in the game.
Foster was the reason we had a chance.

Romo has been doing that for years. Yeah, 'best defensive player in the NFL' needs to make that play, but credit to Romo for the shake-off. It's what he does, and then burns you for the mistake.

Romo has been doing that for years. Yeah, 'best defensive player in the NFL' needs to make that play, but credit to Romo for the shake-off. It's what he does, and then burns you for the mistake.
Yep, Romo does that to everyone. It's his trademark QB evasive move. JJ Watt would need hooks for hands to bring down Romo or any player twisting away from that angle.

It seems to me that the NFL is on a mission to make JJ the MVP this year with all the attention he is getting from official NFL media outlets.

Go JJ!!!!!!!!!!

anybody else see how red and bloodshot jj's eyes were in that latest interview? he smokin?

In this most recent VIDEO, his sclera (white of eyes) are crystal clear.

[watch the video at 00:40] The problem was not that JJ was trying to tackle Romo above the knees. His problem in the missed tackle was that he had an unobstructed straight shot at Romo, but mis-anticipated that he would try to side step to the right instead of like he did....to the left. Had he met him straight on, he would have made the tackle despite any lateral step in either direction by Romo. Sometimes it's not wise to try to be too smart.

In this most recent VIDEO, his sclera (white of eyes) are crystal clear.

[watch the video at 00:40] The problem was not that JJ was trying to tackle Romo above the knees. His problem in the missed tackle was that he had an unobstructed straight shot at Romo, but mis-anticipated that he would try to side step to the right instead of like he did....to the left. Had he met him straight on, he would have made the tackle despite any lateral step in either direction by Romo. Sometimes it's not wise to try to be too smart.

This is what I thought when I saw it. I think JJ was anticipating that Romo would try and "step up" in the pocket. That is why he guessed and went a little to the left.

2 sacks, 7 tackles, 3 passes defensed, 1 fumble recovery, 1 touchdown and i dont know where to find the hits/hurries. singled around 5 times and tripled around 5 - the rest of the game was dedicated doubles.

that alone should be a win.

A random HOU-TEX thought: JJ was kinda lucky he wasn't flagged on the TD celebration. Not for what he did, but two other players joining him doing the dance.

A random HOU-TEX thought: JJ was kinda lucky he wasn't flagged on the TD celebration. Not for what he did, but two other players joining him doing the dance.

A random mattieuk thought: It is kind of freaking awesome that we have a defensive lineman who is that good that he can plan a touchdown dance rather than go for the "oh my goodness, I scored, I'm gunna wave to my momma" reaction of many linemen taking the ball to the promised land.

Easy big guy. Let's just get on the field first, mmkay

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 5m5 minutes ago
Clowney was asked what he thinks when he sees what Watt's doing. Said he thinks he can do the same thing. #Texans

At this time, I am more than willing to watch us try JJ at QB. I doubt he could do worse than what we have right now.

At this time, I am more than willing to watch us try JJ at QB. I doubt he could do worse than what we have right now.

Maybe he can huck it up high enough to run down and catch it and we'd finally have a TE with a reception in the middle of the field.

Brian Cushing told Schaub once that if he needed a breather he could take over. Said he had a cannon. :kubepalm: Lets try it

Brian Cushing told Schaub once that if he needed a breather he could take over. Said he had a cannon. :kubepalm: Lets try it

Can't be anything worse than what we are seeing from Fitz. We should have an open tryout for QB. "Can you throw the ball through various hoops? Try out for the Texans today!"

Easy big guy. Let's just get on the field first, mmkay

I just watched the video of that and IMO the text is out of context. He was asked and laughed and said he thinks he can do the same because it is what he did in college, Watt told him you need to prove you can do it on this level. It came across as more like he WANTS to do those things and he has always been a big playmaker so he hopes it can continue in this league. JMO

OB questioned about Watt in the MVP conversation...

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
O'Brien on Watt: "He affects the game on almost every play."

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
"I've never heard a stadium that loud in my life," OB says after Watt's TD vs. Colts. #Texans

Sad that his performances are getting wasted.

Through 6 games he is the MVP.

He outshined Luck last night with his strong finish.

And all in front of a national audience.

Even Colt fans were calling Watt the MVP.

I think Clowney will give Watt enough chances to get his sack number over 15, which is probably where it would need to be in order for him to win it.

Texans would also have to win 10 games.

It will be a sad day in sports if JJ don't win the mvp. What he is doing has never been documented and is unprecedented. The next mvp will probably be a QB and their performance will be just another blasé mvp performance for the next 100 years of football. And the next generation of football fans will be grossly misinformed about the 2014 season because the most dominant force in the NFL is buried in a friendly footnote.

He has no shot at the MVP if we're not in the play offs.

Which would be dumb because he's *clearly* the most valuable player in football at this juncture.

Either way, nobody really cares about MVPs in football. Can't even remember who won the MVP two years ago.

I've actually seen JJ quit on a play. At ~7:08 left in the 2nd quarter of Thursday nights game, Andrew Luck rolled out and JJ actually quit chasing him when he was ~ 5 yards behind him. Sad day. He's not the 3'rd coming. If there was a 3rd coming predicted....:kitten::swatter::swatter::swatter:

Through 6 games he is the MVP.

He outshined Luck last night with his strong finish.

And all in front of a national audience.

Even Colt fans were calling Watt the MVP.

I think Clowney will give Watt enough chances to get his sack number over 15, which is probably where it would need to be in order for him to win it.

Texans would also have to win 10 games.

He is but he'll never win MVP. Lets' be honest, he played far better in 2012 and had the greatest defensive season of all time and didn't even garner a vote.

Just let this sink in

20.5 sacks, 23 TFLs, 16 PDs, 4 FFs, 95 plays that resulted in zero or negative gain.

Not even one vote.

I've actually seen JJ quit on a play. At ~7:08 left in the 2nd quarter of Thursday nights game, Andrew Luck rolled out and JJ actually quit chasing him when he was ~ 5 yards behind him. Sad day. He's not the 3'rd coming. If there was a 3rd coming predicted....:kitten::swatter::swatter::swatter:

Yeah, I saw him quit on a play last week as well but didn't want the death threats if I said anything here. :D :D Same deal, he was chasing Romo around. I figure he's human after all.

Yeah, I saw him quit on a play last week as well but didn't want the death threats if I said anything here. :D :D Same deal, he was chasing Romo around. I figure he's human after all.
Just such a rarity that I'd thought I'd mention it.

Back