Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Is Tom Savage A Long Term Option?

You'd recommend hiring a guy who by any and all accounts has absolutely no intention of ever leaving the team he currently works for?

Not that DeCosta.. this guy

61e981f69bc1faedcff0541115fa7ab7.jpg

Look, the Osweiler signing was a mistake. But it was an honest mistake, because at the the time, without that superfluous little detail that is known as 20/20 hindsight, the owner, the HC, the GM, and the rest of the front office, thought, at the time, that signing him was the best move to finally get "the" QB.

I plum forgot how many came on here and was praising them for at least going out and making a move, instead of not even trying.

I can safely say that the entire organization is just as sick at the rest of us are that Oz didn't work out like we all hoped. But at least they tried, which seems to have been forgotten lately. Now, of course it's entertainment for some to engage in the finger pointing, or play the blame game, in hopes that someone will take a fall, or get fired over it, all with the idea that it might make us feel better. It isn't going to turn out that way.

You'd recommend hiring a guy who by any and all accounts has absolutely no intention of ever leaving the team he currently works for?

If you pay the guy enough and give him full and total control I bet he would leave.

I will give you another- Alonzo Highsmith

If you pay the guy enough and give him full and total control I bet he would leave.

He's being payed like a GM now, with more surely waiting for Ozzie to hang 'em up. He seems to love Baltimore (the organization and the town).

And a third of the league has offered him in the last handful of years with him continually refusing to even interview.

Don't know a lot about Highsmith as a personnel guy, tbh.

Look, the Osweiler signing was a mistake. But it was an honest mistake, because at the the time, without that superfluous little detail that is known as 20/20 hindsight, the owner, the HC, the GM, and the rest of the front office, thought, at the time, that signing him was the best move to finally get "the" QB.

I plum forgot how many came on here and was praising them for at least going out and making a move, instead of not even trying.

I can safely say that the entire organization is just as sick at the rest of us are that Oz didn't work out like we all hoped. But at least they tried, which seems to have been forgotten lately. Now, of course it's entertainment for some to engage in the finger pointing, or play the blame game, in hopes that someone will take a fall, or get fired over it, all with the idea that it might make us feel better. It isn't going to turn out that way.
I agree. I know I praised the Os signing and, although it didn't work out, still do. They might have swung & missed but at least they took a swing. That's more than I can for the Fitzpatrick and Hoyer signings.

I agree. I know I praised the Os signing and, although it didn't work out, still do. They might have swung & missed but at least they took a swing. That's more than I can for the Fitzpatrick and Hoyer signings.
I agree as well. Osweiller was considered to be the best QB available via free agency last year. They took a shot. It didn't work. I'm not about to crucify them for taking the shot. They gave up nothing to get him other than money and an uncomfortable cap situation next year. All in all, it was a pretty low risk gamble.

I agree with this. They took an aggressive shot to get that QB finally, and they picked the wrong guy to do it. As long as they are out there making big moves to make something happen then I'll support their efforts, and will believe that better is yet to come due to the commitment.

DeCosta

Because the McNair's put restrictions on the types of players that can be added to the roster. Os was a McNair directive, Ed Reed etc....
Fair enough, they have won two SB's since '96 but how would you go about getting him from the Ravens grasp?

DeCosta

Because the McNair's put restrictions on the types of players that can be added to the roster. Os was a McNair directive, Ed Reed etc....
Fair enough, they have won two SB's since '96 but how would you go about getting him from the Ravens grasp?
DeCosta

Over the last ten years, Ravens rank 8th and Texans 18th. (Chargers rank 10th)
Ravens have 7 pro bowlers and 3 all pros. Texans have 7 pro bowlers (JJWatt and DBrown are not all pros?) Arian Foster was not a bad choice either eh?

DeCosta

DeCosta

Over the last ten years, Ravens rank 8th and Texans 18th. (Chargers rank 10th)
Ravens have 7 pro bowlers and 3 all pros. Texans have 7 pro bowlers (JJWatt and DBrown are not all pros?) Arian Foster was not a bad choice either eh?

I agree as well. Osweiller was considered to be the best QB available via free agency last year. They took a shot. It didn't work. I'm not about to crucify them for taking the shot. They gave up nothing to get him other than money and an uncomfortable cap situation next year. All in all, it was a pretty low risk gamble.

If they don't try, we criticize them. If they try, but fail, we criticize them. Only when they both try and succeed will they get any slack.

I want to see the Texans come out up tempo Sunday. That is a strength of Savage's and when he looks the best. Get Savage in a rhythm early and the running game will develop on its own. Max protect, if need be, with two TE sets. They can always peel off and get to the flat or a soft spot in zone coverage.

I agree, man. Hopefully O'Brien opens up the playbook and gives Savage some trust to make some plays. Right now the offense is very predictable and bland. O'Brien has said in the past that it is a "gameplan offense", and I've watched very closely to see how things change from game to game. This season has been not so much, but I do wonder if that's because of the limitations of Brock.

The offense needs to be shaken up if they stand a chance to win a playoff game.

Well said, man, and I agree completely. I will never criticize the Brock signing, because they were doing their best to find what they hoped was a good QB.

Now, that said, I will heavily criticize if Brock is penciled in as the starter without true competition in 2017 because of his salary.

There's a ton of Fire Rick Smith soap around this place lol

Yes, there is, but it is very salty.

I was on board with the move because atleast they were trying to fix the abomination of the Hoyer 30-0 playoff disaster. It didn't work out. The fault lies with McNair, Rick was just following orders and BOB didn't want Os by all accounts. That's troubling. Nobody is or should get fired over the Os move because you cant fire the owner.

I was on board with the move because atleast they were trying to fix the abomination of the Hoyer 30-0 playoff disaster. It didn't work out. The fault lies with McNair, Rick was just following orders and BOB didn't want Os by all accounts. That's troubling. Nobody is or should get fired over the Os move because you cant fire the owner.

McNair just said get a QB.

Just like all of us. He didn't tell Rick to fall in love with Osweiler. If O'b had his way, we'd probably have drafted Hackenberg & started Savage & Weeden this year.

We could have drafted Connor Cook, Dak Presscott, Cody Kessler, or Nate Sudfield based off what McNair said.

If they don't try, we criticize them. If they try, but fail, we criticize them. Only when they both try and succeed will they get any slack.

I think the criticizing is total BS, unless they criticized it from the jump. I actually did, and didn't like it much. The more I considered it amongst other moves that they likely wouldn't have made any way, I was able to live with it just fine and get excited to see how it played out. The two year release was a huge reliever to me in the entire thing and that changed my mind a lot when it initially concerned me as hasty move paying him all that money. Overall I still like it, because Rick Smith had never done that before, and it was sneaky shrewd move by the Texans that I don't think Elway will forget about down the road even though it burned us bad and dodged a bullet for them. I still like the mentality of how we went and "took" Oz from Denver the way we did. That showed a little moxy from the organization that we really hadn't seen before, and I wish we'd see a lot more of it. The move to get Oz also seemed a lot less risky than to give up draft picks to move up for this year's crop of QB's. So, even though it is a total bust I like still like it. I just hate that it didn't work out.

Getting back to Savage, I really like his calmness in the pocket and that he can deliver a catcheable ball even when he know's he's going to get hit. All of his numbers are better when he has pressure, in the last 2 minutes of a half and when his team is behind. Very small sample size, I know, but those are the intangibles for a successful QB in the NFL. At least imho.

Hell no. He is not our quarterback of the future. He has only started one game all year and he couldn't even throw a touchdown pass in that one. We will loose this last game and it will still be painfully obvious why. WE STILL NEED A QUARTERBACK. Rick Smith is an idiot.

The fault lies with McNair, Rick was just following orders and BOB didn't want Os by all accounts.

I know I've asked this before, but where did you come across that information? I know you're not just assuming all of that.

Rick Smith is another one of those guys that talks a good game but then can't deliver. For crying out loud, after all these years and money, we still don't have a good quarterback on this team.

Hell no. He is not our quarterback of the future. He has only started one game all year and he couldn't even throw a touchdown pass in that one. We will loose this last game and it will still be painfully obvious why. WE STILL NEED A QUARTERBACK. Rick Smith is an idiot.

There are statements in your post that might be true and might not, however there is one statement that is an "Irrefutable Absolute Fact". Rick Smith is an Idiot. :)

From what I can see, we currently have three of them on the roster.
Giving up on Savage already? Whatever happened to giving a guy a chance?
We all saw what Savage can do v Jags - why not try to build a decent line? Why not get him another good back?
You people hide behind keyboards and call other people idiots.
There's a term for that.

Last edited:
McNair just said get a QB.

Just like all of us. He didn't tell Rick to fall in love with Osweiler. If O'b had his way, we'd probably have drafted Hackenberg & started Savage & Weeden this year.

We could have drafted Connor Cook, Dak Presscott, Cody Kessler, or Nate Sudfield based off what McNair said.

On your QB eval I will say we don't know, Brady didn't tear it up in his 1st start. I don't know what you expected. Savage was about what I expected. Accurate but needs to speed up his reads. You know like a guy starting his 1st game.

As far as Rick Smith, yes he's terrible . He does what yes men do.

Do we now declare players complete failures after one mediocre game?

Yes.
If they are not immediately elite, they need to be kicked to the curb - no need to get them actual game time to gel with their teammates or build a team around them to see if they can be elite.
They either are or aren't - it's all black and white can't you see?

Yes.
If they are not immediately elite, they need to be kicked to the curb - no need to get them actual game time to gel with their teammates or build a team around them to see if they can be elite.
They either are or aren't - it's all black and white can't you see?
In the meantime we complain like a stuck pig and wonder why our dumb FO doesn't simply pluck one off a Elite quarterback tree.

Reactions: ROO
I'm just as much a fan as the rest of you guys but after 3 years of quarterback flip flop, and now Osweiler didn't even work out, it's frustrating.

The move for Osweiler was idiotic, IMHO .

The Texans can do so much with that money.

Personally, I would have used that money on the Oline and a receiver, draft Paxton Lynch to let him sit and learn to play under center.

Let Hoyer, Weeden, and Savage battle it out in camp.

The best out of those three would have been better than Osweiler.

But wait, O' Brien , Rick Smith, and McNair should all be fired first, and that didn't happen.

So as Texecutioner said; it's just fun exercise that I'm having.

Happy New Year.

Case Keenum in his first few starts in 2013 did everything statistically you could ask for and lost them all.

Tom Savage this hear has had good but modest stats and hasn't lost one yet this year.

We don't know **** at this point.

Case Keenum in his first few starts in 2013 did everything statistically you could ask for and lost them all.

Tom Savage this hear has had good but modest stats and hasn't lost one yet this year.

We don't know **** at this point.

We know one thing about Savage and that is - in his brief NFL career he has had difficulty staying healthy. I agree with a lot of people, Savage should be playing this game but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's knocked out of the game and misses the playoffs.

That's what you get with Savage; the never ending anxiety that at any moment he could be shelved for multiple games. That is my biggest concern about Savage.

The Texans should sit Savage, start Weeden, and open up the downfield passing game. I want to see some 70-yard TD passes to Hopkins, Fuller & Braxton!

We know one thing about Savage and that is - in his brief NFL career he has had difficulty staying healthy. I agree with a lot of people, Savage should be playing this game but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's knocked out of the game and misses the playoffs.

That's what you get with Savage; the never ending anxiety that at any moment he could be shelved for multiple games. That is my biggest concern about Savage.

Maybe so. I watched the Cowboys game where he got his shoulder driven into the turf. Most QB's come out of that hurt. One would have to be particularly durable and maybe a bit lucky on top of that to not get injured. That he missed the season was more a matter of his depth chart spot and when the injury occurred than anything else IMO.

What I'm saying is I don't believe he is particularly injury prone but I also think he's on the brink of being widely considered so. He needs to put some games together.

Right on time!

Don't blame me if the Texans don't advance in the post season because of shoddy QB play. I've been calling for Weeden to be the starter since his outstanding play at the end of last season. To this day I still cannot understand why Hoyer wasn't pulled at halftime in the Chiefs playoff game.

Don't blame me if the Texans don't advance in the post season because of shoddy QB play. I've been calling for Weeden to be the starter since his outstanding play at the end of last season. To this day I still cannot understand why Hoyer wasn't pulled at halftime in the Chiefs playoff game.

Dude, if the Texans don't advance in the playoffs it will be because of shoddy OL play. Of that I am absolutely certain.

And that will happen. We go home after next week no doubt in my mind. The first round of the playoffs can be neatly summarized as "Will everyone who didn't bring an OL please exit stage left".

Dude, if the Texans don't advance in the playoffs it will be because of shoddy OL play. Of that I am absolutely certain.

And that will happen. We go home after next week no doubt in my mind. The first round of the playoffs can be neatly summarized as "Will everyone who didn't bring an OL please exit stage left".

Back