Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Is Tom Savage A Long Term Option?

best believe is MClovin comes in and beats us WC game he will end up Being a Texan LOL cus billy loves taking players who wipped us

I wouldn't mind bringing mallet back cept this time by him a alarm clock Glennon will be the hot commodity this year so we cant afford him

I had high hopes for Ervin but he has not impressed.
Hunt added some spark but he seems like he has come back to the pack a bit too.
Maybe he can get fired up a bit more but I do agree we need to draft a T in the first round and with the addition of Nick Martin the line should be greatly improved.
I hate it we lost Brooks, but that is water under the bridge - perhaps we can try for a decent G in FA.
I bet Tyrod Taylor gets added to this list.
Seriously, at this point, I would rather stick with Savage who knows our system and try to build around him for '17.
We are already in it with Osweiler's contract and Savage is still on his rookie contract.
Draft a guy and develop him for a year to compete with Savage and another draftee for the '18 season.

What exactly does the defense need?

On the DL we have Watt coming back (please), Reader is a beast and Wilfork's heir apparent I think. We could use a guy to put on the other side unless we're going to keep Clowney there. I think he'll be going back and forth between OLB and DE his entire career. Covington just isn't anything special. LB's are also not an empty cupboard situation. McKinney is a pretty nice ILB and Cushing is capable if not spectacular at this point after the injuries. The secondary needs help at safety but we have tons of the depth at CB.

I'd argue that we could actually get away with mostly ignoring the defense again this one time. Like snatch up a safety or a DE if we see one we can't pass up on but otherwise get that damn OL stocked up properly.

Of course some of that can happen in free agency if the team can maybe not sign anymore "shopping carts" from other teams.

late in the mexico city game, Oakland began exposing our lb corps in coverage; KC did it in both games last year & began doing it late in our game this year. I think we all know NE would've done it if TB12 had've been playing when we matched up this year. As long as we continue to ask McKinney (who's a thumper) and a clearly not-what-he-once-was Cush to cover guys like Tyreke Hill, Latavius Murray and Travis Kelce in space it'll always be this defense's weakness. And as good as we have the potential to be on the DL generating a pass rush when Watt gets back, the pass rush will still need help getting home at times. McKinney has proven to be a solid pick up & contributor to this defense this year, but i would've loved it if we'd have snatched the guy taken just 2 picks after him in Erik Kendricks to be that every down lb covering backs and TE's in space........... & instead turn Cush's ass into the thumper that McKinney is now. We're a pretty good defense as we are now, but I think we'd be that much better had we had someone like Kendricks covering backs out of the backfield instead of McKinney.

I say all that to say I'd be more than ok with them going defense with 1 of the 1st 2 picks if they snatched a coverage lb with 1 of them. Cush is giving it a valiant effort, but its time to move on from him & get another real playmaker next to McKinney.

As for the o-line, we should have Martin coming back next year to hopefully solidfy the center position, Mancz has done ok this year, but at the very least he he's got 1 year under his belt on the pro level & should be better for next year...but could easily slide his ass over where he's more comfy to the right guard position..You already have a young guy FINALLY coming into his own at left guard position in Suafilo, you've got a few more years with Brown at LT, so really you just need a RT...I'm fine with them taking a 1st or 2nd rounder at that position....Keep Jeff Allen/Aboushi's asses on the bench as back ups where they belong.

Motton, McGlinchey..the kid out of Wisconsin come on down...Steelb, 76Texan, Texian do a breakdown on these 3 guys.

Per Schefter tweet the Patriots want a 1st and 4th for Garoppolo.

I would Gladly give that up if I didn't think Savage could be the guy. If I were the Browns/Chicago/Jets I would be all over this. Of course my man crush for Jimmy G is well known.

The way I see it is Jiimy G can be young Romo, a 1st and a 4th for a young Romo for a franchise like the Browns is a game changer. Imagine if Denver traded for him and drafted a couple of OL in the 2nd/3rd rds.

I would Gladly give that up if I didn't think Savage could be the guy. If I were the Browns/Chicago/Jets I would be all over this. Of course my man crush for Jimmy G is well known.

I'd be surprised if the Browns go for a QB. Looks like Hugh wants them to learn to win without relying on a QB to save them. Once he gets that team playing good ball, probably after next season, then he'll go for his QB... Aj McCarron.

lol you 2 and your man crushes on Jimmy G and AJ McCarron....

QB Man crushes are rampant here.

Texian and his Blake Bortles infatuation
thunderkyss and his AJ McCarron love
steelbtexan gots to have him some JimmyG
I carried a torch for Case Keenum for far too long

We all got a player we believe in a little too much. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it just goes all wrong. Eventually you move on and find yourself ordering a cheap Chinese Tom Savage jersey and starting over.

But deep down inside I just feel a little dirty and wrong for moving on. Can't help it.

QB Man crushes are rampant here.

Texian and his Blake Bortles infatuation
thunderkyss and his AJ McCarron love
steelbtexan gots to have him some JimmyG
I carried a torch for Case Keenum for far too long

We all got a player we believe in a little too much. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it just goes all wrong. Eventually you move on and find yourself ordering a cheap Chinese Tom Savage jersey and starting over.

But deep down inside I just feel a little dirty and wrong for moving on. Can't help it.

Lol yeah you're right....I've not so secretly been crushing on Tom Savage since he got here as well..I just hide it a little better than T-skyss and SteelB I suppose.

The way I see it is Jiimy G can be young Romo, a 1st and a 4th for a young Romo for a franchise like the Browns is a game changer. Imagine if Denver traded for him and drafted a couple of OL in the 2nd/3rd rds.

If Savage plays fairly well the rest of the year BUT doesn't look like he could be "the man", I wonder if the pats would take Savage and a 2 plus a conditional '18 pick for Jimmy G. We're likely stuck with BO for next season, we simply move him to the backup. Savage would give NE a back up the knows their system in case Brady goes down and he's cheap next season. Just a thought

If Savage plays fairly well the rest of the year BUT doesn't look like he could be "the man", I wonder if the pats would take Savage and a 2 plus a conditional '18 pick for Jimmy G. We're likely stuck with BO for next season, we simply move him to the backup. Savage would give NE a back up the knows their system in case Brady goes down and he's cheap next season. Just a thought
I had an interesting thought. What if the Texans traded (Os by paying half his 2017 salary and added a conditional '18 draft pick?

The Patriots have Brissett, who was mentored by Parcells..... they're probably pretty comfortable with their back up situation going forward. With or without Garappolo.

I "Liked" this post but I don't really like it. It just happens to be 100% true. Unfortunately.

I'm in the same place. I've been saying it a lot, trying to get people used to the idea. But that's what it is.

I think Tom & Brock are going to compete for the starting job & the other guy is going to have to be prepared to take the job if he gets the opportunity.

Reactions: JB
I'm in the same place. I've been saying it a lot, trying to get people used to the idea. But that's what it is.

I think Tom & Brock are going to compete for the starting job & the other guy is going to have to be prepared to take the job if he gets the opportunity.

Exactly. I think the only chance Tom Savage has of in some way locking it down is if he "ignites" and maybe wins a playoff game or two while throwing for some TD's and looking better every week which is tough to do since every week after this one the competition will get better and the pressure will increase. He hasn't done enough yet to feel even a little bit comfortable that he's got an inside track. Brock is thinking (I bet) that he'll get another chance to succeed in OTA's and training camp. His salary and our inability to dump it pretty much guarantees that.

If Savage had come in against Jacksonville and won the game (he did) while tossing TD's and then repeated it against Cincinnati and then Tennessee he'd have something to build on. As things are he looks too much like Brock at times (the whole first half against the Bengals) to differentiate himself all that much.

Tom needs to make some TD's happen and it would help if they came through the air.

What we need is for one quality OT or OG in FA and the other high in the draft. And we need a power back that can be a bell cow. We need a power running game that can pickup tough yards. If we can add just that to this team, we can be really good.

I think our struggles to get tough yards on the ground and in the red zone are 85% offensive line. You fix the line, and we start consistently winning the battle in the trenches, and you will fix the short yardage and red zone issues. Our major focus going into free agency and the draft has to be o-line.

It will take atleast a 1 and Savage plus something else. There's going to be a bidding war for Jimmy G, most likely between Cleveland/Chicago. Unfortunately I dont think the Texans have enough to keep up, unless the Texans want to give up a 1/2 and Savage in next yrs draft. IMHO

I bet Cleveland bites - they have two firsts.

It will take atleast a 1 and Savage plus something else. There's going to be a bidding war for Jimmy G, most likely between Cleveland/Chicago. Unfortunately I dont think the Texans have enough to keep up, unless the Texans want to give up a 1/2 and Savage in next yrs draft. IMHO

And no one really knows if Jimmy G will turn out any better than Savage or Osweiler at this point

He may be another Matt Cassel

Exactly. I think the only chance Tom Savage has of in some way locking it down is if he "ignites" and maybe wins a playoff game or two while throwing for some TD's and looking better every week which is tough to do since every week after this one the competition will get better and the pressure will increase. He hasn't done enough yet to feel even a little bit comfortable that he's got an inside track. Brock is thinking (I bet) that he'll get another chance to succeed in OTA's and training camp. His salary and our inability to dump it pretty much guarantees that.

If Savage had come in against Jacksonville and won the game (he did) while tossing TD's and then repeated it against Cincinnati and then Tennessee he'd have something to build on. As things are he looks too much like Brock at times (the whole first half against the Bengals) to differentiate himself all that much.

Tom needs to make some TD's happen and it would help if they came through the air.

Unfortunaely that's the way that the McNair's do business. Those that make the $$$$ play. Doesn't matter who the better player is.

And no one really knows if Jimmy G will turn out any better than Savage or Osweiler at this point

He may be another Matt Cassel

Doubtful he is Cassel, but I cant see the Texans giving up that much for Jimmy G after the McNair's just invested so much into Os.

When you think Osweiler, think Paxton Lynch.

He's our "first round" QB. He's going to get a shot next season.

That right there would be a real world example of Albert Einstein's definition of "insanity".

Unfortunately, I believe you are right, too. O'Brien has to make decisions by consensus at the boardroom, so financial considerations will most likely continue to play a part.

They should not be so proud that they are unable to admit a mistake. Brock was clearly a glaring mistake.

I don't think financials will come into play at all as long as Savage acquits himself ok in these next couple of games. Gotta remember,, that money spent on Oz is gone regardless of whether or not he plays as I doubt anyone will give us anything to take him off our hands. For Savage as long as he doesn't have a Brian Hoyer-like blow up, or he gets hurt again between now & the start of the season, I think he goes into next season as the incumbent & Oz is gonna have to outplay him to get the gig back.

That right there would be a real world example of Albert Einstein's definition of "insanity".

Unfortunately, I believe you are right, too. O'Brien has to make decisions by consensus at the boardroom, so financial considerations will most likely continue to play a part.

They should not be so proud that they are unable to admit a mistake. Brock was clearly a glaring mistake.

It's going to look like a "financial" thing. But truth be told, as poorly as Osweiler has played, he could look totally different next season.

It's going to look like a "financial" thing. But truth be told, as poorly as Osweiler has played, he could look totally different next season.

I don't know about that. He's got a sizeable amount of games under his belt now & his issues didn't seem to stem from lack of understanding of the offense or some other thing that just takes time. His main issue from the get go has been his spotty accuracy which from a qb skill set is something that's not easily fixed. It'd be 1 thing if it reared its ugly head when he was under pressure...but this dude was inaccurate even when not under pressure. That int he threw in the chargers game where rich gannon couldn't stop himself from saying during the broadcast "oh!" as soon as he saw the ball sailing over the WR's head coming out of Oz's hands....speaks volumes to me about where Oz is. I honestly don't think Oz even knows where its going when it comes out of his hands.

Last edited:
Doubtful he is Cassel, but I cant see the Texans giving up that much for Jimmy G after the McNair's just invested so much into Os.

I said last off season that he was our guy and wanted our first round pick traded for it, and people laughed and totally denigrated the idea. Lol! They wrote me off as a NE fan, and hated the idea of any NE QB coming here because of Mallet/Hoyer. I reminded them that Mallet never played anywhere near like Jimmy had in NE and neither did Hoyer, but all they cared about was that he was from NE.

We aren't about to give away a bunch of pics for any QB this year. We're going to have to wait until Oz is gone after next year. That is just the mentality and the way that the Texans front office is. You might as well accept that now as painful as that is going to be. We're headed for another year of Oz/Savage/? and whatever other lame duck FA backup they can find or later round draft pick most likely.

I think that NE is going to keep Jimmy G any way, and it might surprise people but Brady could be available for the 2018 season. If Brady doesn't get any major injuries, he'll still be playing, and NE can't afford both most likely without handicapping so many other elements on their team. I think that Bellicheck is going to be faced with Favre/Rodgers type dillema and he is going to consider the long term future more than the potential short term future with whatever Brady has left. I really hope I'm wrong though.

I think we keep forgetting this guy has 9 1/2 quarters of football in his career. And that whole 1st half against the Bengals was his 1st ever start.

I said last off season that he was our guy and wanted our first round pick traded for it, and people laughed and totally denigrated the idea. Lol! They wrote me off as a NE fan, and hated the idea of any NE QB coming here because of Mallet/Hoyer. I reminded them that Mallet never played anywhere near like Jimmy had in NE and neither did Hoyer, but all they cared about was that he was from NE.

We aren't about to give away a bunch of pics for any QB this year. We're going to have to wait until Oz is gone after next year. That is just the mentality and the way that the Texans front office is. You might as well accept that now as painful as that is going to be. We're headed for another year of Oz/Savage/? and whatever other lame duck FA backup they can find or later round draft pick most likely.

I think that NE is going to keep Jimmy G any way, and it might surprise people but Brady could be available for the 2018 season. If Brady doesn't get any major injuries, he'll still be playing, and NE can't afford both most likely without handicapping so many other elements on their team. I think that Bellicheck is going to be faced with Favre/Rodgers type dillema and he is going to consider the long term future more than the potential short term future with whatever Brady has left. I really hope I'm wrong though.

I remember this very well. I was on board with this idea.

The McNair's F'ed up the QB thingy again. Should've just paid the price to get Jimmy G.

I don't think the financial angle will be a factor in Brock starting, but I do think he will be in training camp next year to compete for the job. I doubt any team will absorb the financial hit based on the 2015 film.

As far as him improving, I guess it is possible. However, many of his problems are the same things mentioned in his college scouting report: inaccuracy, staring down receivers, trouble protecting the ball from turnovers, bad decisions. I would think that he would at least improve and not regress by his 5th season in the NFL, regardless of starts. Savage has obviously not started many games, but he's definitely improved on the bench. It should not be too much to expect with Brock, as well, but he obviously did not.

I think we keep forgetting this guy has 9 1/2 quarters of football in his career. And that whole 1st half against the Bengals was his 1st ever start.

I'm not saying he's not meeting expectations. I'm just saying that in order for him to put out the hopes the Texans have for Brock Osweiler and that ridiculous contract he's got Tom has to be far above expectations and that hasn't really happened.

Note: He's still got plenty of time to put up some numbers so nothing's settled yet.

I'm not saying he's not meeting expectations. I'm just saying that in order for him to put out the hopes the Texans have for Brock Osweiler and that ridiculous contract he's got Tom has to be far above expectations and that hasn't really happened.

Note: He's still got plenty of time to put up some numbers so nothing's settled yet.
Savage has two weeks to win the job. If he gets us to 10-6 and past the Chiefs (or Dolphins) into the next round of the playoffs, I don't see Osweiler getting that job back.

late in the mexico city game, Oakland began exposing our lb corps in coverage; KC did it in both games last year & began doing it late in our game this year. I think we all know NE would've done it if TB12 had've been playing when we matched up this year. As long as we continue to ask McKinney (who's a thumper) and a clearly not-what-he-once-was Cush to cover guys like Tyreke Hill, Latavius Murray and Travis Kelce in space it'll always be this defense's weakness. And as good as we have the potential to be on the DL generating a pass rush when Watt gets back, the pass rush will still need help getting home at times. McKinney has proven to be a solid pick up & contributor to this defense this year, but i would've loved it if we'd have snatched the guy taken just 2 picks after him in Erik Kendricks to be that every down lb covering backs and TE's in space........... & instead turn Cush's ass into the thumper that McKinney is now. We're a pretty good defense as we are now, but I think we'd be that much better had we had someone like Kendricks covering backs out of the backfield instead of McKinney.

I say all that to say I'd be more than ok with them going defense with 1 of the 1st 2 picks if they snatched a coverage lb with 1 of them. Cush is giving it a valiant effort, but its time to move on from him & get another real playmaker next to McKinney.

As for the o-line, we should have Martin coming back next year to hopefully solidfy the center position, Mancz has done ok this year, but at the very least he he's got 1 year under his belt on the pro level & should be better for next year...but could easily slide his ass over where he's more comfy to the right guard position..You already have a young guy FINALLY coming into his own at left guard position in Suafilo, you've got a few more years with Brown at LT, so really you just need a RT...I'm fine with them taking a 1st or 2nd rounder at that position....Keep Jeff Allen/Aboushi's asses on the bench as back ups where they belong.

Motton, McGlinchey..the kid out of Wisconsin come on down...Steelb, 76Texan, Texian do a breakdown on these 3 guys.

I agree with you about getting a LBer, like Kendricks, who can cover the TE's. It's something the Texans have needed for awhile. The problem with fixing the O-line is they need a plug-n-play RT from day one next season and this draft is considered thin at the O-line position. McGlinchey has said he's going back to school and "the kid out of Wisconsin," Ramcyzk, is also leaning that way from what I've read. So, that leaves you down 2 of the better OT prospects for this draft already. Sure, there are some "developmental" guys you can pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round but the Texans need a RT now! That leaves them with looking for a FA in the off season and that will cost! Will they have the cap room to pay for one of the better FA OT's on the market? My guess is no. It's going to be an interesting off season!

Savage has two weeks to win the job. If he gets us to 10-6 and past the Chiefs (or Dolphins) into the next round of the playoffs, I don't see Osweiler getting that job back.

I hope you're right but if he just barely does enough to make that happen there might still be doubt and the Texans might still be open to Os "winning" the job back in camp.

... or Raiders.

Which I think is just as likely a scenario, if not more so.

Reactions: JB
I hope you're right but if he just barely does enough to make that happen there might still be doubt and the Texans might still be open to Os "winning" the job back in camp.
I can hear the rhetoric from OB already telling us all that the best man will be the starter.
I just hope he has learned his lesson that talk (saying all the right things), study (watching all the film, constantly absorbing the playbook) and being first on and last off the practice field do not necessarily make the best quarterback - Osweiler was all that and it didn't help him.
I also hope all the decision makers will resist the urge to play Osweiler merely on the strength of his contract.

Sure, there are some "developmental" guys you can pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round but the Texans need a RT now! That leaves them with looking for a FA in the off season and that will cost!

What do you think about Kendall Lamm ad a developmental guy?

I agree with you about getting a LBer, like Kendricks, who can cover the TE's. It's something the Texans have needed for awhile. The problem with fixing the O-line is they need a plug-n-play RT from day one next season and this draft is considered thin at the O-line position. McGlinchey has said he's going back to school and "the kid out of Wisconsin," Ramcyzk, is also leaning that way from what I've read. So, that leaves you down 2 of the better OT prospects for this draft already. Sure, there are some "developmental" guys you can pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round but the Texans need a RT now! That leaves them with looking for a FA in the off season and that will cost! Will they have the cap room to pay for one of the better FA OT's on the market? My guess is no. It's going to be an interesting off season!
This draft sucks for OL. If we're planning on getting a plug in play starter at OT we better be looking for it in FA.

A little over a game and a half in for Savage and he's dealing with another injury. I like almost everything about him, except that. He's not small or frail, maybe he's just unlucky, but it sure seems like he's an injury magnet.

Back