Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is Tom Savage A Long Term Option?

Dude, if the Texans don't advance in the playoffs it will be because of shoddy OL play. Of that I am absolutely certain.

And that will happen. We go home after next week no doubt in my mind. The first round of the playoffs can be neatly summarized as "Will everyone who didn't bring an OL please exit stage left".

well, looks like it will be the battle of inexperienced QBs playing behind below average Ols...if were possible for both to get eliminated in one week, it might happen.

can we please draft a bloody ******* qb in the first 2 rounds??? why is this so hard?

bobby boy, it's been a long time since david carr. let it go already old man.

Dungy predicted Raiders over Texans 2-0. LOL. Not that I blame him. Kind of funny. But if it's going to be 2-0, I think it's more likely the other way around.

well, looks like it will be the battle of inexperienced QBs playing behind below average Ols...if were possible for both to get eliminated in one week, it might happen.

Except that Oakland's O-line is considered one of the best in the NFL, not "below average." The Texans O-line on the other hand....... well, lets just say it stinks! Our QB's, whether experienced or not, have no chance!

Except that Oakland's O-line is considered one of the best in the NFL, not "below average." The Texans O-line on the other hand....... well, lets just say it stinks! Our QB's, whether experienced or not, have no chance!

I am using the "2 QBs got injured in back to back weeks" system versus any logical, even semi-educated analysis.

Please allow the same liberty as other posters demand,"Regard my Lazy Boy generated utterance as superior to actual professional fact based analysis" I thank you in advance.

I am using the "2 QBs got injured in back to back weeks" system versus any logical, even semi-educated analysis.

Please allow the same liberty as other posters demand,"Regard my Lazy Boy generated utterance as superior to actual professional fact based analysis" I thank you in advance.

:fingergun: Gotcha!

You do know that McGloin excels when paired with OB?

Savage is not the permanent answer but he'll do until we can try to draft a starter in round 1 or 2. And if we don't at least try to draft one I'm going to say this franchise sucks donkey dix.

Up until this past weekend I was thinking "Maybe?"

After watching Sunday and particularly in light of how O'Brien appears to not really care much about his welfare I'd say the Texans don't believe so.

Up until this past weekend I was thinking "Maybe?"

After watching Sunday and particularly in light of how O'Brien appears to not really care much about his welfare I'd say the Texans don't believe so.

I don't know if O'b doesn't care about Savage's welfare.

His biggest issue has been availability. For as big as he is, he seems to be pretty darn fragile. I don't think I've ever seen a QB injured on a 1 yard QB sneak.

You want to know if Savage is the long term answer... that play needed to happen. Now, we know. Savage should not be in the long term plans.

His biggest issue has been availability. For as big as he is, he seems to be pretty darn fragile. I don't think I've ever seen a QB injured on a 1 yard QB sneak.

You want to know if Savage is the long term answer... that play needed to happen. Now, we know. Savage should not be in the long term plans.

Didn't Schaub get hurt on a QB sneak when Haynesworth crushed his foot (albeit most likely on purpose).

As for the concussion on Savage he was ready to play. In past years, maybe not advisedly he would have gone right back out there and probably never would have left the game. An official asked to have him evaluated. I get that. He came up slowly and they're trying really hard to look like they care about player safety as a league. He went to the sidelines and was further evaluated, then went into the locker room. Makes sense to me. Take him away from the game and evaluate him in a quiet, calm area where there's no cheering crowd or game activity going on. Again that makes perfect sense to me.

Then he supposedly passed the test and came out to play again. Then he was evaluated again at halftime and he didn't. That's where the whole process gets screwy to me and something starts to stink.

We'll never know what exactly took place but I believe that the Houston Texans (LLC) decided to see if Osweiler who they have invested all that money in could come out and catch a little fire. I don't know if O'Brien was party to it or not (seems like maybe not in light of a lot of the talk around the team and he not meshing) but if Tom Savage truly needs to be in the concussion protocol then I need some hip waders because the BS coming out of that marketing company (with a football division) on Kirby is deep and wet.

IMO.

Just to clarify... are you saying that Savage is not the long term answer because you can't recall a QB ever being injured on a QB sneak?

Just to clarify... are you saying that Savage is not the long term answer because you can't recall a QB ever being injured on a QB sneak?

I'm saying his availability has been suspect. It would be foolish to expect him to play 16 games, or even 9 games as your "answer" to the QB question.

I'm saying his availability has been suspect. It would be foolish to expect him to play 16 games, or even 9 games as your "answer" to the QB question.

It seems in almost every game he is in he has an injury scare. The Cinci game it was his leg. In Jacksonville I can't remember if anything happened, but in others there is always something. We are talking a small sample size but still...almost every game?

It seems in almost every game he is in he has an injury scare. The Cinci game it was his leg. In Jacksonville I can't remember if anything happened, but in others there is always something. We are talking a small sample size but still...almost every game?

Fans have no patience. Folks here were saying the same thing about Clowney last year going into this year...since then the dude has emerged as our defensive MVP on a #1 ranked defense. Some guys are just unlucky & that looks to be the case with Savage as well. Hell the guy hasn't taken consistent contact in almost 2-3 years. Besides, the way our o-line blocks, he would've been hurt in 2-3 games tops.

Fans have no patience.

Although I completely agree with that, apparently in Savage's case, it appears the Texans don't either. Now, I will agree that it seems like he gets hurt a lot, but it also seems like injuries occur at "very convenient" times. Like going on IR for the entire season after getting hurt in the 4th quarter of the last preseason game. And that concussion stuff on Sunday, it's like they (whoever "they" is) were looking for the flimsiest excuse possible.

I don't remember if I said this here, or in another thread, but if I were Savage, I'd be blowing this popstand.

Although I completely agree with that, apparently in Savage's case, it appears the Texans don't either. Now, I will agree that it seems like he gets hurt a lot, but it also seems like injuries occur at "very convenient" times. Like going on IR for the entire season after getting hurt in the 4th quarter of the last preseason game. And that concussion stuff on Sunday, it's like they (whoever "they" is) were looking for the flimsiest excuse possible.

I don't remember if I said this here, or in another thread, but if I were Savage, I'd be blowing this popstand.

To go where? Lol!

What team is dying to have Tom Savage on their team? He wouldn't go to any other situation where he'd have a better shot.

His injuries are unfortunate for him, but it isn't the team's fault in any way that he can't stay healthy to "get himself" a real shot. Maybe he ought to get some better nutrition or stretching exercises. Hell, it seems to work wonders for Tom Brady. A QB who can't stay healthy is the worst kind to have, and he has gone far beyond showing that he is injury prone.

You can blame the Texans for a lot of things, but there is no logical complaint that can be made about Savage not getting a fair shot with the Texans. You guys keep talking as if he was some high first round pick in the first place. Do you guys go around kicking and screaming at other teams for not trying to force their 4th round draft picks to be starters of their franchises at the most important positions? Savage hasn't done squat to gain all this confidence. Hell, Oz has done way more to be perfectly honest. Oz has at least played on a winning team outside of here where he faired pretty well to actually earn a big contract where two teams were interested in him. Savage has just ridden the pine. You guys are starting to mimick the whole "Case Keenum" stuff in here all over again. The guys in here that made those arguments for years have no business ever even discussing QB's at this point.

I can agree to this. I just read your post as that specific play - getting concussed on a QB sneak - needed to happen in order to show he was not the answer.

That being said, I'm cutting some slack on the concussion aspect. First, the league is clearly CYA about concussions now. Second, any player on any play can get a concussion. This particular incident IMO plays into the "injury prone" narrative as much as Cushing's knee injuries.

I can agree to this. I just read your post as that specific play - getting concussed on a QB sneak - needed to happen in order to show he was not the answer.

That being said, I'm cutting some slack on the concussion aspect. First, the league is clearly CYA about concussions now. Second, any player on any play can get a concussion. This particular incident IMO plays into the "injury prone" narrative as much as Cushing's knee injuries.

Not really when it involves a guy that has had a rather extensive injury history not only in the NFL but also going back to college. The same goes for Cushing as well actually. He stayed injured at USC.

Savage had what I consider to be the ugliest concussion ever seen in a game. I would hope he wants to be able to run around after his kids, remember all their names and not have to piss into a tube attached to a bag he carries around.

He is not an NFL QB sorry. Not even a backup.

So, is Savage scrap pile material?
If so, who do we bring in to be a reliable backup behind DW4?

Savage is not under contract for 2018. He's UFA. But yes, for the Texans he should be scrapheap.

Find someone with some mobility.

We should be investigating players who (like infantrycak said) have some mobility. I'm thinking RGIII gets a phone call from me if I'm GM. I want to talk to him about resurrecting his career in Houston while backing up DW4 because he can play in our offense and he's a guy we could get in here on a reasonable backup QB contract who we might actually be able to move later in the deal for picks. He's 27 years old, should be desperate to get his career back on track, and most likely we wouldn't have to change a thing if DW4 went down. Now the results might not be quite where they are under our starter but I wouldn't expect our offense to go into "Hibernation Mode" like it did with Savage under center.

Now obviously if you talk to him and don't detect a hunger to get back in the NFL or a love of football you pass on the man. If you get a strange vibe from him that makes you think he might be tough to coach you pass. He should be all-in though right now. He just sat out a whole season waiting for a phone call that never came. Kirk Cousins it about to get paid a King's Ransom by someone. RGIII's mind is either right at this moment or it never will be. Call the man and check him out.

Then draft a guy to develop behind the two of them.

We should be investigating players who (like infantrycak said) have some mobility. I'm thinking RGIII gets a phone call from me if I'm GM. I want to talk to him about resurrecting his career in Houston while backing up DW4 because he can play in our offense and he's a guy we could get in here on a reasonable backup QB contract who we might actually be able to move later in the deal for picks. He's 27 years old, should be desperate to get his career back on track, and most likely we wouldn't have to change a thing if DW4 went down. Now the results might not be quite where they are under our starter but I wouldn't expect our offense to go into "Hibernation Mode" like it did with Savage under center.

Now obviously if you talk to him and don't detect a hunger to get back in the NFL or a love of football you pass on the man. If you get a strange vibe from him that makes you think he might be tough to coach you pass. He should be all-in though right now. He just sat out a whole season waiting for a phone call that never came. Kirk Cousins it about to get paid a King's Ransom by someone. RGIII's mind is either right at this moment or it never will be. Call the man and check him out.

Then draft a guy to develop behind the two of them.

Griffin would be the perfect backup to DW4.

What rd do you think Lauletta goes in? He looked very good to me in the Sr Bowl practices/game. A.J. McCarron is who I would compare him too.

What rd do you think Lauletta goes in? He looked very good to me in the Sr Bowl practices/game. A.J. McCarron is who I would compare him too.
I think we can surmise that the Texans have zero interest in RGIII. He would already be on the roster, if so.

I think Richmond's Lauletta goes Day 3. The Texans will have 5 picks on that Saturday, and could use one on a development future backup QB. Maybe Lauletta.

Last edited:
I think we can surmise that the Texans have zero interest in RGIII. He would already be on the roster, if so.

I think Richmond's Lauletta goes Day 3. The Texans will have 5 picks on that Saturday, and could use one on a development future backup QB. Maybe Lauletta.

I think you're right on RGIII. I hope you're wrong. Hopefully Gaine will see things differently than Ricky did.

I would love to see Lauletta as a Texan and hope you're right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right on RGIII. I hope you're wrong. Hopefully Gaine will see things differently than Ricky did.

I would love to see Lauletta as a Texan and hope you're right.
That will definitely be something to watch for.
I wonder if the marijuana policy will be relaxed a little under Gaine - that could have repercussions for other positions on the squad as well.

That will definitely be something to watch for.
I wonder if the marijuana policy will be relaxed a little under Gaine - that could have repercussions for other positions on the squad as well.

What marijuana policy? They have twice spent 1sts on guys with positive tests - Okoye, Brown.

What about Kurt Benkert, Virginia? He's not a speedster but buys time and yards and has a nice deep ball. Would probably go higher if he had more prototypical size.

I like him, he had a great game against Miami last yr.

White (Who I also like, Probably a Pats pick) and Lauletta clearly out played Benkert in the Sr Bowl practices/game. Which is why he received the least amount of playing time in the game.

I know those games are important for scouting but I don't hold a middlin week too much against players. That's a quick week of adaptation.

Agreed, the all star practices aren't the be all end all. They help confirm or make the scouts go back and look at more tape. If the all star games mean nothing then why does a former GM (Phil Savage) even waste his time putting together these squads in the 1st place?

But the players who catch on more quickly to the pro schemes and BOB's in this instance help their draft stock.

Lauetta was up and down in Senior Bowl crazy good passes/decisions and then crazy bad passes/decisions; not on my board.

edit: PS..with Texans history with QBs and injuries to same I would rather get a veteran to back up Watson and use picks for other positions. We can sign development QBs for QB3 and practice squad.

Lauetta was up and down in Senior Bowl crazy good passes/decisions and then crazy bad passes/decisions; not on my board.
I've only seen a quarter of his play. He made some off schedule plays that show some promise. Has some athleticism. I would prefer not to use a pick and sign an UDFA QB. But, I could also see O'Brien cotton to Lauletta and use a pick. We'll see.

I've only seen a quarter of his play. He made some off schedule plays that show some promise. Has some athleticism. I would prefer not to use a pick and sign an UDFA QB. But, I could also see O'Brien cotton to Lauletta and use a pick. We'll see.

Do you have an opinion in Benkert? Seems like he's a good fit. Biggest knock I can find is what caught him at the Senior Bowl, inconsistent week to week.

Any interest in A.J. McCarron (that reminds me, where is TK?)?
Cincy was about to let him go but screwed something up and the deal fell through

Reactions: JB
Do you have an opinion in Benkert? Seems like he's a good fit. Biggest knock I can find is what caught him at the Senior Bowl, inconsistent week to week.
I really don't, as I haven't really looked at QBs in this class. I would not be surprised though if O'Brien became fond of at least one of the QBs he coached in Mobile. Seems like an O'Brien-ish thing to do.

Anyway, I don't think Savage is in our future. Too valuable as a trade to somebody who has an established OL. We are still trying to build ours and it may take time.

Savage is unrestricted free agent and cannot be traded without signing with Texans first. He is gone IMO.

Back