Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Mercilus will have his shoulder re-evaluated. With shoulder subluxation/dislocation, the concern is extent of labrum tear. As I've posted numerous times in the past, most players will attempt to play through the injury with the help of a shoulder harness if they can until the end of the season. If they do suffer a recurrent injury, they will need to undergo repair before the end of the season. Depending on the damage to the labrum, even if the player can make it through the season, they will often opt to undergo surgery in order to avoid extending the damage in the future.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Akins had recently cleared the concussion protocol, but now that he was trying to practice, his ankle sprain has not responded to treatment............it is actually now classified as a high ankle sprain............he is OUT for Sunday.

Howell and Kalambayi as expected have also been rule OUT for Sunday.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Conley's rehab has hit a brick wall. He has had at least 2 second opinions without any conclusions as to the underlying trouble. what was to be simple screw removal from an old ankle fracture has simply left him and the Texans screwed. There is no expectation for his return any time soon. And remember, he will be a FA following the season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Conley's rehab has hit a brick wall. He has had at least 2 second opinions without any conclusions as to the underlying trouble. what was to be simple screw removal from an old ankle fracture has simply left him and the Texans screwed. There is no expectation for his return any time soon. And remember, he will be a FA following the season.
Do you think it's time to go in and find out what's wrong with Conley? It would end his season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
For Conley to be out this long, I can't help but think that he has had a non-union of the old fracture with instability, or complicating smoldering infection of the bone (osteomyelitis) where the screw was (which would explain why the screw was removed in the first place). In either case, I believe that conservative rehab is futile.......and I would be surprised if he can return at all this season. There are no options I can see at this point that would not require surgery in order to address his problem properly.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Hargreaves left the game with complaints of significant heel pain. The most likely cause for a skill player in my experience would be plantar fasciitis. Other lesser possibilities would be a heel stress fracture and Achilles tendinitis/tendinosis. None of these is particularly good for a DB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Any thoughts on Roby's injury against GBay leading to his disciplinary action and being held out of Jacksonville game? Crennel as late as Friday expected him to play. Thanks!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Any thoughts on Roby's injury against GBay leading to his disciplinary action and being held out of Jacksonville game? Crennel as late as Friday expected him to play. Thanks!
I already posted on the disciplinary action as relates to his vocal thoughts on the Texans D scheme and how he is utilized in another thread. As far as the injury "treatment" portion of the disciplinary, I have an idea why, but have not been able to confirm it at this time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I already posted on the disciplinary action as relates to his vocal thoughts on the Texans D scheme and how he is utilized in another thread. As far as the injury "treatment" portion of the disciplinary, I have an idea why, but have not been able to confirm it at this time.
Ok I will search for that thread.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Conley's ankle has not responded to rehab utilizing any treatment modalities thus far. He has had 2nd opinions with very little value in solving his continued loss of mobility and pain. I have posted several possibilities of potential underlying causes. No doubt in my mind, he is experiencing a complication of his surgery. But I need to add another that may just play into all of his problems. In 2017, he had that tibial shaft fracture for which he received a tibial rod/nail. Approximately 45% of these patients will experience significant ankle mobility issues accompanied many times with pain upon movement, especially if the rod has loosened. With length of time, I am still thinking that an underlying smoldering bone marrow infection is at least part of the issue.............one that would be treated with long-term antibiotics. This is also the time that you would expect a painful post traumatic arthritis to develop. Lots of possibilities, and very likely a combination of those I've listed, with no quick solutions..........and with some possibilities potentially jeopardizing his career from continuing. With that said, with all this going on, consider his season over.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Stills suffered a quad tear. No doubt this is a result of a compensatory injury to damage to his core. The severity of his tear will be known after he received an MRI.

From the TEXANS VS PATRIOT INJURY REPORT:
Has Stills been nursing a previous injury? Is that why he has been a non-factor this season?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Has Stills been nursing a previous injury? Is that why he has been a non-factor this season?
Stills had been nursing a back and quad injury throughout November. He needed a week or 2 of rest to more safely play out the season. He has had these same soft tissue injuries in the past dating back to 2014. But his injuries were not the primary reasons for his release.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Conley's ankle has not responded to rehab utilizing any treatment modalities thus far. He has had 2nd opinions with very little value in solving his continued loss of mobility and pain. I have posted several possibilities of potential underlying causes. No doubt in my mind, he is experiencing a complication of his surgery. But I need to add another that may just play into all of his problems. In 2017, he had that tibial shaft fracture for which he received a tibial rod/nail. Approximately 45% of these patients will experience significant ankle mobility issues accompanied many times with pain upon movement, especially if the rod has loosened. With length of time, I am still thinking that an underlying smoldering bone marrow infection is at least part of the issue.............one that would be treated with long-term antibiotics. This is also the time that you would expect a painful post traumatic arthritis to develop. Lots of possibilities, and very likely a combination of those I've listed, with no quick solutions..........and with some possibilities potentially jeopardizing his career from continuing. With that said, with all this going on, consider his season over.
Looks like his season is officially over. I just hope this isn't career threatening.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Looks like his season is officially over. I just hope this isn't career threatening.
His recent 2nd surgery yesterday was inevitable. And for as long as it was delayed, does not give a promising future. If he is able to return, he is very unlikely to be the same as pre-injury. This complication included involvement of his ankle joint. Osteomyelitis (infection of the bone) appears to be a part of this problem. It is an atypical consequence of ankle trauma, but is not uncommonly seen with a failed/loosened screw, especially if this causes stress or overt fracture in the vicinity. In such a case, the complication is associated with long-term mental and physical morbidity and persistent pain. Praying for the young man.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
A new method of repairing an ACL that does not leave the morbidity of harvesting tendon from another part of the body, or replacement with an permanent synthetic ligament with the associated foreign body problems. Very early in its development with only short followup. But quite interesting if it proves itself valid in long-term clinical trials. It COULD be a game changer IF it is proven to work long-term without unforeseen problems.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Without examining him, it would be difficult for me to assess. It would not have been a complete rupture of the ligament, or he would not have been able to carry on. But even a Grade I would be treated with a period of no throwing followed by a rehabilitation program. This would not uncommonly take several weeks. Watson would likely not feel the full extent of the injury until 24-48 hour post injury (pain, swelling, guarded movements). Watson will not want to miss a game (which he would be well-advised to do so), so if he continues to play without proper rest/rehab, I can't see his play not being mired with more hesitancy and inaccuracy.
From what I've found out, Watson has been dealing with ulnar collateral ligament issues before the Bengals game, but was never placed on the Injury Report. This last injury will have extended that injury. If he plays this game as I suspect he will, it will play into his performance. And it wouldn't surprise me if he is not listed on the upcoming Injury Report. My fear would be that he could potentially be looking at Tommy John surgery sometime in the future.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hey Doc @CloakNNNdagger , Urbam Meyer just said that he had a medical procedure in 2014 and his condition is much improved. What might that procedure be?

Last edited by a moderator:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Hey Doc @CloakNNNdagger , Urbam Meyer just said that he had a medical procedure in 2014 and his condition is much improved. What might that procedure be?
Meyer was diagnosed with an arachnoid brain cyst in 1998. Over the next 15 years, he suffered multiple bouts of severe symptoms. This was treated with diuretics and medications to bring down the swelling in the brain. Then, in 2014, he underwent brain surgery to deal with the symptoms of the cyst after having debilitating headaches with seizures for almost a month. Most of these cysts cannot be surgically excise and they must be "managed" by removing fluid from the expanding cyst...........a condition which places pressure on the brain leading to the symptoms of headache nausea, vomiting and/or seizures. He had a hole drilled through his skull and a tube temporarily placed to drain the fluid. He has continued to have intermittent bouts of symptoms of varying degrees. But has tried to manage his condition with medications and behavioral changes to keep him from spiking his bloo pressure...........something that could cause additive pressure on the brain with a serious brain implication.

Becoming an NFL HC will not make his plight easier and is likely to make it worse.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Meyer was diagnosed with an arachnoid brain cyst in 1998. Over the next 15 years, he suffered multiple bouts of severe symptoms. This was treated with diuretics and medications to bring down the swelling in the brain. Then, in 2014, he underwent brain surgery to deal with the symptoms of the cyst after having debilitating headaches with seizures for almost a month. Most of these cysts cannot be surgically excise and they must be "managed" by removing fluid from the expanding cyst...........a condition which places pressure on the brain leading to the symptoms of headache nausea, vomiting and/or seizures. He had a hole drilled through his skull and a tube temporarily placed to drain the fluid. He has continued to have intermittent bouts of symptoms of varying degrees. But has tried to manage his condition with medications and behavioral changes to keep him from spiking his bloo pressure...........something that could cause additive pressure on the brain with a serious brain implication.

Becoming an NFL HC will not make his plight easier and is likely to make it worse.
I really don’t understand his thought process here.

Texian

Hall of Fame

As always Doc, Thanks much.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I really don’t understand his thought process here.
One additional thought. Inadequate blood oxygen levels (hypoxia) or excessively high carbon dioxide levels (hypercapnia) cause cerebral blood vessels to dilate, increasing the flow of blood to the brain and causing the intracranial pressure (ICP) to rise. Coaching at Mile High Stadium where the altitude is high and the oxygen availability is low could be worrisome to his condition.

From what I've found out, Watson has been dealing with ulnar collateral ligament issues before the Bengals game, but was never placed on the Injury Report. This last injury will have extended that injury. If he plays this game as I suspect he will, it will play into his performance. And it wouldn't surprise me if he is not listed on the upcoming Injury Report. My fear would be that he could potentially be looking at Tommy John surgery sometime in the future.
How reliable is your information on this?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Is it worth trading Watson now before this pops?
One way or another, he won't be playing for a while since there will be at very least no OTAs............plenty of time to think about things, on both sides. A TommyJohn surgery may not be necessary anytime soon, it is an overuse injury that depends on how much stress the ligament is exposed to. The more he plays, the higher the risk he becomes...........a couple of games, a season, another acute injury??..............the when is not predictable.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Following OTAs, Marcus Cannon underwent "minor" arthroscopic cleanup. From what I have been able to garner, it was a floating piece of meniscus. Cannon has significant problems with his ankles and toes, but not with his knees. He is expected to be able to return for TC.