Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

Metchie was kept out of the Saints game reportedly as a precaution. He sustained a Grade II hamstring the very beginning of OTAs and only in July returned to practice. Metchie has had setbacks since his OTA injury. When he recently returned, he has actually still had further issues with his hamstring..............so technically he has been kept out as a precaution..........as to not extend his injury and prolong his recovery.

From July 25>

1693234751267.png

Green sustained a shoulder injury. There is debate over trying to play with a harness after attempting conservative rehab, or undergoing surgery and being lost for the season.
What would be best for his long-term career?

What they're doing now certainly isn't working.

Even with a harness, he is likely to re-sublux/dislocate......and ultimately benefit from surgery.

Then they should just go ahead and do the surgery. No need to put him out there and have him perform like an UDFA. How long is the recovery time on this surgery? Obviously they aren't going to put him on IR or they already would've done this. How much rest would it take for Green to be able to perform at an avg level. Is this shoulder injury related to the shoulder injury that happened last yr and if so why didn't they do the surgery this offseason?

I wish they would get him the surgery, get him healthy and get a complete offseason with the NFL S&C coach. You probably would see a guy worthy of a 1st rd pick if the Texans chose this direction. They wont do this because of draft status and the money he's being paid.

Last edited:
Then they should just go ahead and do the surgery. No need to put him out there and have him perform like an UDFA. How long is the recovery time on this surgery? Obviously they aren't going to put him on IR or they already would've done this. How much rest would it take for Green to be able to perform at an avg level. Is this shoulder injury related to the shoulder injury that happened last yr and if so why didn't they do the surgery this offseason?

I wish they would get him the surgery, get him healthy and get a complete offseason with the NFL S&C coach. You probably would see a guy worthy of a 1st rd pick if the Texans chose this direction. They wont do this because of draft status and the money he's being paid.
Last year the shoulder injury was actually a pectoralis tendon sprain. Rehab was appropriate. As far as IR by now vs surgery.........if he were IRed now as opposed to after the cut, he definitely would be out for the season. This way they can take the time to assess the situation and choose between rehab and surgery.

And even so will still be at increased risk for re-injury. How the Texans ever thought he might return for the opener is beyond me.
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous.

It's such a sports wide thing where everything is so short-sighted to the next game rather than looking at the long term. Get the guy healthy and have him play 10+ games rather than play him in 1 or 2 and then he's out for the rest of the season.

Kenyon Green, as I expected would ultimately be needed, will be having shoulder surgery to repair a labrum tear............out for the season.
Honestly? Good.

Not good that he's injured but good he can get IRd take some time, regain some confidence, get fit and get a better shot down the road. Maybe it never works out, but this is probably the best path for him.

Honestly? Good.

Not good that he's injured but good he can get IRd take some time, regain some confidence, get fit and get a better shot down the road. Maybe it never works out, but this is probably the best path for him.
Good for how the Texans are approaching him now. But not so good that this is just another significant injury his body must deal with long term.

He will require ~9 months to return to play..........if he is one of the 75% that can following this surgery. Then he can look forward to having only a 70% chance of returning to his pre-injury performance level.

Truthfully, I am much more overall concerned re. the condition of his knee.

Kenyon Green, as I expected would ultimately be needed, will be having shoulder surgery to repair a labrum tear............out for the season.
That sucks for everyone involved. Not an easy surgery to rehab from. Will never be 100% again.
Good for how the Texans are approaching him now. But not so good that this is just another significant injury his body must deal with long term.

He will require ~9 months to return to play..........if he is one of the 75% that can following this surgery. Then he can look forward to having only a 70% chance of returning to his pre-injury performance level.

Truthfully, I am much more overall concerned re. the condition of his knee.
Total reverse replacement is easier to recover from than either labrum repair or rotator cuff repair. I've had all three.

That sucks for everyone involved. Not an easy surgery to rehab from. Will never be 100% again.

Total reverse replacement is easier to recover from than either labrum repair or rotator cuff repair. I've had all three.
Unfortunately, total reverse shoulder replacement per very limited surgical literature is usually performed for rotator cuff and extremely painful shoulder arthritis......mostly in older adults (average age 70). When "return to sports" was addressed, this category was typically referring to sports activities such as swimming, fishing, golf........and reported ~ 60% success in return to these activities...lasting for usually only ~4 years post surgery. Contact sports such as football in young patients are not advocated as a good idea because of the many known potential shoulder replacement problems using any technique in this scenario........therefore no studies have included them.

For those who are not familiar with total reverse shoulder replacement, in that technique, the ball and socket placement is reversed [ILLUSTRATED IN RIGHT PIC BELOW]:

1693396441269.png

Last edited:
I am copying my post on Kenyon Green's injuries from the original Kenyon Green thread, as I believe it is important to be able to easily retrieve it.

I've been posting on his injuries forever. His knee, his pec and his shoulder. At this point, when you are assessing a player with a history of left pec followed by a left labrum injury, you take into consideration what position they play. An offensive lineman with these injuries is extremely unlikely to be able to conservatively rehab without re-injury and without extending the damage. The team physician is the one that should know that. He, not the player nor the coach or GM are expected to have that knowledge and act upon it. Of course, today with NFL team doctors paying significant monies for the privilege of their position, they too often seem to veer from their ethical duties to the patient/player...........ultimately being influenced in their medical decisions by their business relationship to the team.

At the time of the pec injury last year, there was already associated concern with his labrum. To begin with, the pec injury typically results in weakening of the shoulder to some extent. This was further agravated by being put back at LG using his outstretched left arm to hold back the D (the same mechanism for his pec injury). Surgery was always going to ultimately be necessary for him to practice his trade.

I will take it a step further. I've previously emphasized that Green was never a quick, light on his feet player. Add to that 2 meniscus excisions (not repairs) leaving him well on his way to future microfracture surgery, his ability to move quickly and square off with a defender on his left is definitely even more strongly compromised................with him frequently having to compensate by holding his opponent back with an outstretched arm...........putting all of the weight and leverage of his opponent on his arm............placing him in a perfect position for his arm/shoulder to be torqued backwards resulting in serious shoulder injury.

Whoever participated in the decision for him to rehab then practice/play before addressing his problem surgically was wrong. Saying it was wrong is not a 20/20 hindsight, it should have been a 20/20 foresight.

Tytus Howard returns to Texans practice
By Josh Alper
Published September 4, 2023 01:43 PM

Texans right tackle Tytus Howard took a big step back toward the lineup on Monday.

Reporters at Monday’s practice sent video of Howard taking part in the session. It’s the first time Howard has participated in practice since he suffered a left hand injury in early August.

Howard, who signed a three-year extension this offseason. is wearing a protective cast on the hand. More word on his participation level and outlook for Sunday’s game against the Ravens will come with Wednesday’s initial injury report of the regular season.

George Fant would likely get the start in Howard’s place if he isn’t ready to go this week.

For Baltimore, Humphrey (foot) and OBJ (ankle) won't be there Sunday. Andrews (quad) may possibly try to return but would be high risk for re-injury. Stanley is still having issues with his left ankle..........the same ankle which required season-ending surgery in both 2020 and 2021. I expect him to play Sunday.

Do you know if it's the same one from last year? I wonder if this is going to be problematic especially for a LB.
Harris suffered a subluxation of his right shoulder last November against the Dolphins. But most don't know that as a sophomore at Alabama Dec 2020, he suffered a similar injury of his left shoulder and was able to avoid surgery. I have not been able to confirm which shoulder he injured this most recent incident. But he has obviously sustained 2 such injuries to one of the shoulders. When repeated subluxations occur to the same shoulder, it will be closer to surgical territory. When he does return (if he returns), I suspect it will be with protective shoulder harness.

Back