Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

I'm not 100% on the rules for this thread so correct me if I can't do this but anyone know what Fant's injury was? I saw him walking around on the sideline later in the game so I'm crossing my fingers.

Pitre hospitalized with a bruised lung.

CnD- what are your thoughts on Pitre’s injury? Is this a short term thing? I guess it depends on the severity? Thanks.

After getting a knee to the chest by Jackson, Pitre was coughing up blood....something that is consistent with lung contusion. He has been hospitalized. Mild contusions can heal in about a week. They are going to keep him overnight. But pulmonary contusions will commonly progress over 48 hours. Depending on its severity, this injury can progress to breathing problems and pneumonia, and some can turn into chronic pulmonary problems. This condition by its name seems quite benign, but studies show that even moderate contusions can result in death in 10% of cases.

I've taken care of many of these injuries and I would not consider discharging a patient having experienced coughing up blood before 48 hours following the trauma.

After getting a knee to the chest by Jackson, Pitre was coughing up blood....something that is consistent with lung contusion. He has been hospitalized. Mild contusions can heal in about a week. They are going to keep him overnight. But pulmonary contusions will commonly progress over 48 hours. Depending on its severity, this injury can progress to breathing problems and pneumonia, and some can turn into chronic pulmonary problems. This condition by its name seems quite benign, but studies show that even moderate contusions can result in death in 10% of cases.

I've taken care of many of these injuries and I would not consider discharging a patient having experienced coughing up blood before 48 hours following the trauma.
Thanks for the info! Hope he recovers quickly

Any known bone damage?

Does the fact that he's a professional athlete lessen the potential for such severe outcomes (nice way of saying death)

Does the fact that he's a professional athlete lessen the potential for such severe outcomes (nice way of saying death)
Not really. There are no real treatments for lung contusions except for supportive.........such as rest, oxygen and/or ventilatory assistance if needed, encouraging deep breathing and coughing to minimize collapse of the slung. If the lung damage progresses, multiple resulting pathology would need to be individually addressed........a subject that is too extensive to cover here.

Hopefully, appropriate observation and supportive response is performed, and Pitre recovers uneventfully.

I had read that Fant had a shoulder stinger. Best case he’s back this week most likely scenario is out 1-2 weeks… This is just what I had read from Aaron Wilson not sure how accurate that is.
Stingers are unpredicatable.........stingers can affect sensation of the arms and hands and/or the motor strength of these structures..............some become asymptomatic in hours.........some in weeks. The nerves are stretched........they need rest.

Stingers are unpredicatable.........stingers can affect sensation of the arms and hands and/or the motor strength of these structures..............some become asymptomatic in hours.........some in weeks. The nerves are stretched........they need rest.

Although I've heard about stingers my entire life, I've never given any thought to what they actually are. I thought they were basically contusions; I hadn't considered that they were neural. I always thought they were easy to just walk off, but this sounds a lot more painful and disturbing than I imagined.

This is a very simplified short video explaining basic information re. a burner/stinger of the neck or shoulder.

A stinger is not an injury that should be taken lightly....although it often is. It is important also to understand that after having one stinger, another similar injury is more likely.............and multiple stingers cause long-lasting (permanent) nerve damage and weakness.

Jalen Pitre released from hospital
By Josh Alper
Published September 11, 2023 12:35 PM

Texans safety Jalen Pitre is out of the hospital.

Pitre was taken to a Baltimore hospital on Sunday after he suffered a bruised lung during the Texans’ 25-6 loss to the Ravens. Pitre remained under observation overnight and Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Pitre has been released on Monday.

The Texans returned to Houston on Sunday night and Pitre will now be able to join them in making the trip back home. There’s no word on his outlook for a return to the field at this point.

Pitre was injured while making a tackle on Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson in the second quarter. He had two tackles before his injury.

Thank you CnD. Always enjoy your expert explanations ..

Can you speak a bit on what the timeline is there?
With a Grade II calf tear. he is likely out for at least 3 weeks, but more likely 4-6 weeks barring any setbacks.....................but true full healing and strengthening can take 3-6 months..........and and that's why there will be a significant risk for recurrent calf injury or other compensatory lower extremity injury during the remainder of the season.

Stroud sustained a throwing shoulder injury in practice and may not be able to play Sunday.
This is somewhat more worrisome when I find out that he dealt with a right shoulder injury that compromized his performance the beginning of his 2021 season at Ohio State.....a Grade I rotator cuff injury. This injury would make sense for what has happened now, since it is highly unlikely with practice rules the way they are that it would be a direct contact injury.

Have they said much in terms of details and do you have any clue how likely it is he suits upG Sunday?
I believe that with Grade I rotator cuff injury/rotator cuff tendonitis, I would not expect him to be able to play Sunday without extending the injury. His Ohio State injury happened in camp and he did not allow for short healing time by continuing to practice/play. In addition, he shortly thereafter sustained an A/C shoulder separation.

Last edited:
Rotator cuff damage does not ever heal on its own. Treatment for more minor tears is by building up the muscles making up the rotator cuff complex in order to compensate shoulder stability. It is never good for a QB to sustain any injury to the rotator cuff. Rotator cuff tendonitis requires rest. But unfortunately for a QB, it can recur with the necessary repeated overhead throwing motions.......it's an overuse injury.

Last edited:
1694833251732.png

Don't expect the Colts star LG to be there for Richardson. If for some reason, he is fitted with a steel sole plate and tries to play, his performance will not be acceptable. A limited practice on basically a walk thru day is not impressive......or taxing to a turf toe.

Even though Braden has not been on the injury report the last 2 weeks except for "rests" on Wednesdays, he is still having issues with the knee injury he sustained in TC.

Wait. Is it a confirmed rotator cuff injury? Has someone seen or heard something confirming this?

Can he get Tommy John surgery?

Hopefully it's only tendonitis.

Thanks Hannah, the stands will be full Sunday.
He can get cortisone injections and use ice packs to temporarily relieve the pain and inflammation.
Tommy John surgery is to repair a ligament in the elbow.

I'd be very concerned if rotator cuff tendonitis is present and Stroud is not given at least 2 weeks of rest and rehab. I hope that in order to get him out there, they do not resort to cortisone injection to bring down the inflammation and pain.............as it is well-known to have deleterious affects on and weaken tendons. This along with continued throwing could turn a rotator cuff tendonitis into an overt rotator cuff tear.

So we don't really know what the issue is with Stroud's shoulder. We know he has a history with his right shoulder.

We also know we have a new medical team. Is it possible they are way more pro-active than the last bunch & shut Cj down, put him on the injury list as a precaution in response to some "tightness" Stroud may have felt after last week's game. Say they are also aware of the history, they discussed management of his shoulder before TC & have worked out a vocabulary to identify pain levels, comfort levels to try to stay ahead of any major issues?

So we don't really know what the issue is with Stroud's shoulder. We know he has a history with his right shoulder.

We also know we have a new medical team. Is it possible they are way more pro-active than the last bunch & shut Cj down, put him on the injury list as a precaution in response to some "tightness" Stroud may have felt after last week's game. Say they are also aware of the history, they discussed management of his shoulder before TC & have worked out a vocabulary to identify pain levels, comfort levels to try to stay ahead of any major issues?
We don't have a new medical team.......just minus Lowe.

Back