Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

Does anyone happen to know if we had a change in our fitness regime? It seems like we have had a lot more injuries than in years past and I’m curious if there’s a correlation.

The Texans have always been on the higher end of injuries. Isn't a recent thing. Had quite a few "famous" years of just monumental injuries that were impossible to overcome.

Harvin despite being right-footed and despite not practicing Wed and Thurs, will try to play through his right hamstring...........would not be surprised if he sustains a setback if he plays.

Washington has been dealing with a knee problem intermittently for some time. In fact there was concern re. a knee injury that Washington said it wasn't a knee injury......that he's never sustained a knee injury. But the truth is that he had knee swelling which resulted from loose articular cartilage in the joint. He indeed needed to undergo surgery to remove the cartilage fragments. He may try to play, but if so will likely be compromised.

Daniels groin injury will keep him out of Sunday's game.

Do you notice - another OLman with an injury. Deiter did not practice today (chest) and is listed as "questionable" for Sunday's game.
Yes I certainly noticed. They list it as a "chest." Centers do not usually incur rib brusing or fractures because they are not usually involved in high velocity/impact plays. A chest/rib bruise would be unlikely to put him on the "questionable" list. It is much more likely that he has suffered a Grade I pectoralis strain trying to hold back a rusher with his arm out to his side or during weight lifting. These can take 7-14 days to recover from. If he plays, he will need to keep his affected arm close to his body........something that will affect his effectiveness.

CnD,
Any update on Stingley? I heard another 5-6 weeks. I’m wondering if he ought to just sit the remainder of the year and hopefully be ready for next. Thank you.

From Texans Random Thought Thread yesterday>

That tweet was posted ~2.30 PM................the announcement of the MCL did not come out until an hour ago. The website has always been behind times. Those responsible for the Depth Chart do not routinely closely follow and communicate with the medical personel.

Furthermore, many times the length of conservative rehab vs trim vs repair cannot always be determined until MRI results return (usually Monday or Tuesday).........and sometimes what is found at surgery........and sometimes if the player wants to return to play quickly if trim (quick recovery) repair (long recovery) is an option to him.

Kendrick Green did sustain a significant meniscus tear but fortunately no ligament tear. I believe surgery is inevitable, but which.........repair vs trim has not been determined.

CnD,
Any update on Stingley? I heard another 5-6 weeks. I’m wondering if he ought to just sit the remainder of the year and hopefully be ready for next. Thank you.
Stingley suffered his recent hamstring tear Sept 20. With his history of grade II hamstring which shut down his 2022 season, his prolonged recovery with some setbacks.........I believe that his rehab should be close to 8 weeks from this last injury..........that would put his potential return ~ 6 weeks from now. He then maintains a high risk for re-injury no matter the approach As this has been a compensatory injury to his residual Lisfanc foot mechanics, I am not very encouraged to his long-term prognosis.

I heard somewhere that Scruggs is not ready. Could be ready next week at the earliest. More likely to return after the bye week.
Man he must've hurt that hamstring really bad. It looks like it's going to take a couple of months to heal.

Just to clarify, it does not mean that they will play but have up to 21 days to be placed on the active roster.
Okay so "he’s able to return to action now that four games have been played. According to multiple reports, the team has started that process by designating him to return on Wednesday. Either way it's a great sign to return.
Ty Zentner had been doing the punting, but he was released on Tuesday. They designated Ty Zentner had been doing the punting, but he was released on Tuesday.

Okay so "he’s able to return to action now that four games have been played. According to multiple reports, the team has started that process by designating him to return on Wednesday. Either way it's a great sign to return.
Ty Zentner had been doing the punting, but he was released on Tuesday. They designated Ty Zentner had been doing the punting, but he was released on Tuesday.
To be activated to the 53, someone will have to be released, assuming all 53 spots are currently filled.

Stingley suffered his recent hamstring tear Sept 20. With his history of grade II hamstring which shut down his 2022 season, his prolonged recovery with some setbacks.........I believe that his rehab should be close to 8 weeks from this last injury..........that would put his potential return ~ 6 weeks from now. He then maintains a high risk for re-injury no matter the approach As this has been a compensatory injury to his residual Lisfanc foot mechanics, I am not very encouraged to his long-term prognosis.
Thank you again.

The anatomy of the meniscus is very important for understanding how and why we treat the tears. The blood flow to the meniscus in general is very poor. Blood is what brings nutrients, growth factors and cells to the meniscus and allow it to heal. Since the meniscus has a limited blood supply, certain parts of the meniscus are more likely to heal tears and other areas can never heal. This is similar to a finger nail, hair and teeth; all of which have a vascular and a non-vascular component. The vascular portion is called the “red zone” due to the presence of capillaries in the meniscal tissue. The avascular portion is called the “white zone” due to its absence of blood supply. Red zone tears have the potential to heal and white zone tears will likely never heal. The transitional region in the middle is considered the “red-white zone” with healing capacity more unpredictable.

Avery-meniscus-tears-2.png

1696519986021.png

1696519933123.png

***Keep in mind when there is a meniscus tear in the red zone, the player/surgeon decision can still opt for a meniscectomy (instead of repair) for anticipation of a quicker return to play, although with longer-term negative implications (ala. Clowney).

I've discovered that Josh Jones' ligament injury is what I thought it was after seeing him in that club...............a torn ulnar collateral ligament of the thumb.

Isn't that the same injury Tunsil had?

I've torn this ligament before. Didn't have surgery and it's still not right today. Painful

Back