Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hurricane Ike

I'd think twice about your plans on coming here if I was you.

If my flight isn't cancelled, I don't get a refund and the chances of using the credit is unlikely before the expiration.

Meanwhile, I have purchased tickets to 3 sporting events.

So let's say I bail out, I could be stuck with an airline credit and tickets to events that happen anyway.

I can handle a flight refund and eating the tickets I bought. But, if it's safe to fly in hours before IKE hits, then I'll take my chances and see what happens.

Besides, if things are that bad, why haven't the Texans and Astros cancelled or moved games? What is taking so long?

Can I stay at your place while you're gone then? The wife and I will be on a plane tomorrow ... sister-in-law lives in Huntington and I would *much* rather be chillin on a beach than sitting in the dark listening to the wind and rain for three days!

I live in a very small, dirty apartment in Hollywood.

You probably wouldn't like it.

If my flight isn't cancelled, I don't get a refund and the chances of using the credit is unlikely before the expiration.

So let's say I bail out, I could be stuck with an airline credit and tickets to events that happen anyway.

I can handle a flight refund and eating the tickets I bought. But, if it's safe to fly in hours before IKE hits, then I'll take my chances and see what happens.

Besides, if things are that bad, why haven't the Texans and Astros cancelled or moved games? What is taking so long?

Dude, this is projected to be a Cat 4 when it hits just south of Freeport. The last place you wanna be this weekend is Houston. It might hit somewhere else, it might not, but it sure as ain't worth coming to Houston for.

2qnctvn.gif

Dude, this is projected to be a Cat 4 when it hits just south of Freeport. The last place you wanna be this weekend is Houston. It might hit somewhere else, it might not, but it sure as ain't worth coming to Houston for.

Here you man, but I have a lot money into this trip.

If they don't cancel my flight Friday morning and the games (Astros and Texans) are not cancelled or rescheduled, maybe it isn't that bad?

If those things are taken care of, I'll stay in LA.

Because uncertainty yet remains. One major model, the GFDL, thinks it's going into Houston as a major storm. But another big model, the UKMET, think's its going to hit well south as a minor hurricane. And the NHC is kinda favoring the UKMET right now, since it has performed better on Ike so far.

However, the tea leafs, such as intensification, slow movement, a cracking high pressure system, and a eerie similarity to Rita's path, are pointing to a more northern landfall as increasingly likely.

We should get a definite go/no-go for the Houston area in the next several hours as the next batch models finish their runs. If the models follow the GFDL north then the Houston area will start issuing evacuations around Thursday afternoon or evening. Those who are in, or who plan to be in, Houston during the weekend should watch this storm until we are given the all clear.

You remind me of someone....

rabbit.jpg

:tease:

LOL

It's just the first time I've ever tilled land, planted seeds, and did all that work and I've actually got some squash, green beans, spinach, broccoli, and carrots growing and now this stupid hurricane is going to ruin my harvest. Now my family will starve. :(

LOL

It's just the first time I've ever tilled land, planted seeds, and did all that work and I've actually got some squash, green beans, spinach, broccoli, and carrots growing and now this stupid hurricane is going to ruin my harvest. Now my family will starve. :(

Oh wow, that's a big garden. I hope the storm doesn't do too much to it! Next Spring I am going make a small garden and grow some tomatoes and jalapeños.

Sorry for this temporary station break from the Hurricane Watch Party....you all are in my thoughts and prayers as I continue to track the storm, my nephew is suppose to be flying down to Houston Friday.

~~~~~~~~~

My question is about these Steak and Cheese Burritos you are talking about from Del Taco. I lived in Dallas from 1980-1987 I can't remember the name of the fast food restaurant that I would drive through or go into daily and I was wondering if this wasn't the same place. I loved the Steak and Cheese Burritos but they also had a Ham and Cheese Burrito...with thin sliced ham with spicy cheese and shredded lettuce that I continue to this day to recreate. They also had iced down long neck bottles of beer you could grab while in line waiting for your order.

Any help down memory lane?????? (Showtime.. no telling stories about the trips to Bennagins)

Any one else besides me having problem with wunderground.com not showing projections. They should have had the updates for the 7PM data by now. StormPulse does. They don't look a whole lot different than they did earlier today, so that's actually good news as that keeps landfall further south down the coastline.

weather underground finally updated it's projections. I'm to lazy to save the pic to my site, so they have two tracks headed to Galveston, three for Corpus, and one to Brownsville.

I just got off the phone with my Mom, who lives 8 miles north of Smith Point, 15 miles south of Anahuac. She just told me she is not leaving no matter what and she has made up her mind. My dad can't really evacuate being on home hospice unless they can get an ambulance. Not liking this at all.

I just got the go ahead to close our operation down tonight. All workers are to take whatever steps they deem necessary to secure life and property.

As for me, I'm throwing the oscars in the pond outside and hauling the family to New Iberia for a few days of beer drinking and flatulence.

I just got off the phone with my Mom, who lives 8 miles north of Smith Point, 15 miles south of Anahuac. She just told me she is not leaving no matter what and she has made up her mind. My dad can't really evacuate being on home hospice unless they can get an ambulance. Not liking this at all.

its goign to be allright hardcore. Have a little faith. Maybe the power of our positive thinking can curve this thing. All the best from the SWT family. we're pulling for u

My first hope is that it's no where near them . The 2nd thing is if he's he on a resperator , the electricity may be a problem .

We'll revert back to the first . Go board up the house , get provisions , and that's all you can do .

I've been through the hospice thing and just wish you the best of luck .

We are trying to decide right now. We got out early and easiky last time and had a trip planned already to my father in laws in Brownwood, outside Abilene. We still might but may just fly out tomorrow because it would be easier. I could drink a beer and dove hunt on the land. I have family in Austin and Dallas and Ft. Worth but the storm will just follow us there. Brownwood is westr of that but good enough probably.

Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel is on the Galvestion Sea Wall.

Now, it's offically time to go "OH SH!T!"

This is really bad. Everybody who prays should pray. (And maybe some of you who think about praying might consider it).

This is one of the most frightening blog posts I've read in my life:

Dr. Jeff Master's Blog: Ike intensifying explosively

The mayor of Galveston sounds like a bonehead talking about evacuations. If they wait until tomorrow for people to get out of dodge, it may be too late.

This is very bad. Because it is so hard to figure out where it is going to go, by the time people figure out to evacuate, people might be stuck on the road.

Just got back from the gas station. It was packed.

Ike evacuations begin; Houston could get hit

Storm track might shift and late Friday landfall is now possible

Link

As Ike strengthened into a Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds on Wednesday, officials weighing whether to evacuate millions of South Texans were told that Ike could make landfall even sooner, possibly late Friday night, and in the Houston-Galveston area — not closer to the border with Mexico as earlier forecast.

Looks like it might turn our way .... Might be a good idea to have a few days worth of food and beer on hand just in case.

This is really bad. Everybody who prays should pray. (And maybe some of you who think about praying might consider it).

The mayor of Galveston sounds like a bonehead talking about evacuations. If they wait until tomorrow for people to get out of dodge, it may be too late.

This is very bad. Because it is so hard to figure out where it is going to go, by the time people figure out to evacuate, people might be stuck on the road.

Agree. I got water and gas at lunch today and I usually make fun of the craziness of it all. I don't like this path.

They should have had y'all moving north and west about two days ago. I just finished boarding up my downstairs and will work on the upstairs starting now. I'll be praying for y'all. Y'all do the same for us.

The only good thing to think about right now is, is that is Ike keeps shifting at the rate it's going, it'll make landfall east of Galveston. Maybe. Tomorrow's gonna be an important day. I can't leave Houston, I have to ride it out, but I'll be OK. It's the cat I'm worried about, but not much I can do at this point except worry.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

Good evening. The track forecast for Ike tonight has edged significantly closer to the Houston-Galveston area, now bringing the storm ashore near Freeport.

As I wrote a few years ago, for Houston's sake, this is just about the worst possible place a storm could make landfall.

If the forecast remains centered upon Brazoria County and especially Freeport -- and of course that's a big if -- I would expect widespread evacuations in southeast Harris County and Galveston County to be called Thursday morning. I am not one to make editorial comments, but I am surprised that Galveston County has not yet called for a mandatory evacuation.

There will, of course, be fluctuations in the forecast location during the next two days, prior to landfall late Friday or early Saturday. Areas from south of Corpus Christi to the Texas-Louisiana border remain potential landfall sites. But as of now Houston couldn't be much more at risk than it is.

Folks, we have giant, doubled eyed, rapidly intensifying Frankenstein hurricane out there that is currently aimed at Houston's general area and is about two days away from landfall. It's wind field is pretty crazy, something like hurricane force winds out to a hundred miles away from center, which is, I think, far larger than Rita's. So even if it continues to slide north like Rita did we could encounter nasty weather even on the 'clean' side of it.

This will only make the decision that will likely have to be made in the morning more difficult for those of us coastal areas. Mandatory evacuations seem likely come sunrise... and I doubt I'm the only one that doesn't cherish the thought of another Rita-like exodus.

Bad news all around.

Last edited:
I wish I could sleep. All the new data comes out at 1AM, and if we are lucky, it will have shifted even more up the coast. The more it shifts toward Galveston the more it's likely to make landfall east of Galveston on Friday, sparing us some of the worst of the wind.

From LRandyB's Tropical Weather Discussion (Weather Underground):

"The models have done a very poor job over the last week of handling the mid-latitude troughs. From as far back as when Ike was in the Bahamas, the models have tried to turn the storm north. It is not unreasonable to assume that they are also misjudging the current trough forecasted to weaken the ridge around the time Ike makes landfall. That would mean that Ike will either make landfall at it's current forecasted position and continue heading west-northwest into central TX or even make landfall a bit south of it's current forecast landfall point".

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/LRandyB/show.html

I have family in Corpus, and they seem to be operating as if they are out of the woods. I hope that people to the south don't become complacent now, thinking that this thing is definitely going to turn northward.
Personally, I think it's going to turn more northward than most forecasts, but people to the south need to remain vigilant.

Last edited:
Back