Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hurricane Ike

Okay I take back the compliment....they busted the curb on my driveway, and left a huge rut in my front yard. I already called the Public Works Director and I'm sure he's not busy or anything.

OK, someone in Nassau Bay is going to hell. They hired a bunch of illegals to help clean up the city after the storm...knowingly. After the hard work was done they called immigration on them so they wouldn't have to pay them.

OK, someone in Nassau Bay is going to hell. They hired a bunch of illegals to help clean up the city after the storm...knowingly. After the hard work was done they called immigration on them so they wouldn't have to pay them.

Just curious Vinny, I'm not going anywhere with this, but by "knowingly" do you mean they asked for a SS number and they had none as well as no green card, or did they fit the M.O. of an illegal? Link?

Does anybody know when they are going to start charging tolls again? The Westpark tollway is jammed up because everyone and their brother is using it since it's free right now.

Not that I blame them, driving the streets around Houston right now is horrible with the stop lights being out and all.

Hey Thorn, I heard midnight Saturday is the ending time for free tolls.

Even though our house is in the Sunday zone I did see trucks in the neighborhood yesterday when I went by so maybe there is hope for the original date..today.

Just curious Vinny, I'm not going anywhere with this, but by "knowingly" do you mean they asked for a SS number and they had none as well as no green card, or did they fit the M.O. of an illegal? Link?
There is no link because this isn't a media story. I know people who work for the City...lets just say I found it shameful and so do some good folks that work for the City.

There is no link because this isn't a media story. I know people who work for the City...lets just say I found it shameful and so do some good folks that work for the City.

I'm totally with you Vinny. One day those employers will be judged.

I would call or email the Chronicle. That is a huge story.

I got the Royal Comcast Screwing after Ike and have been without my internet since early Saturday morning. Even though I had power, they could not see fit to send a tech until today to restore our service. The outage has spurred me on to signing up with AT&T for their fiber optic uverse service beginning Friday.

So much to do when you don't have the internet! Yard work, debris clean up, pool fun...all took place w/o being connected, so it wasn't a total wash.

As much as I don't like that "little problem" our fine Metro area has w/ the Illegal aliens...I'd love to give that gentleman's address to about two busloads worth of 'em and pay their fares.

Captain's log Stardate September 28

Day 16 without power. Riggo was on patrol and sent the signal down to Charley company that Centerpoint was in the area. Hopped on the Harley and intercepted two crew members in our theatre of operation. After a brisk interrogation we surmised that power would not be restored to our vessel today. There was no 'maybe', no hemming, no hawing, just a "no". The blank stares were deafening.

Captain's log Stardate September 28

Day 16 without power. Riggo was on patrol and sent the signal down to Charley company that Centerpoint was in the area. Hopped on the Harley and intercepted two crew members in our theatre of operation. After a brisk interrogation we surmised that power would not be restored to our vessel today. There was no 'maybe', no hemming, no hawing, just a "no". The blank stares were deafening.

You should've launched your photon torpedoes and then warp 9'ed it the heck outta there.

P.S. - Hope you get power soon.

I'm also still waiting for the power to be restored.

This dance helps me not to go crazy. :splits:

I had to shave my "hurricane beard" the other day. I was trying to hold out until our power was restored but I just couldn't do it.

POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

bwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa! POWER!!! I can power up the secret lair now! Perhaps I'll dismantle our Neighborhood truth squads first.

rumor had it that infantrycak was commissioned by specnatz to kayak up the creek behind the house and butcher me with an Ox blade wearing only a couple of banana leaves.

LOL

Have you been sleeping outside at night under the Dibrom crop dusters?

Congrats on the power.

Here are some pretty amazing (not in a good way) pictures of the aftermath. http://www.tpicks.com/pictures people have sent me.html

Isn't this worse than Katrina? What I don't get is how this thing is getting hardly any press outside of Houston (I am assuming it is getting press in Houston). Even in Austin they aren't talking much about it. Also there are close to 400 people unaccounted for and everyone I mentioned that to wasn't aware of that. I guess the presidential race and the crashing economy is more important than this in the media's eyes and that is a real shame.

BTW, my aunt completely lost her home in San Leon. If she hadn't have left she wouldn't have survived that.

Here are some pretty amazing (not in a good way) pictures of the aftermath. http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people have sent me.html

Isn't this worse than Katrina? What I don't get is how this thing is getting hardly any press outside of Houston (I am assuming it is getting press in Houston). Even in Austin they aren't talking much about it. Also there are close to 400 people unaccounted for and everyone I mentioned that to wasn't aware of that. I guess the presidential race and the crashing economy is more important than this in the media's eyes and that is a real shame.

BTW, my aunt completely lost her home in San Leon. If she hadn't have left she wouldn't have survived that.

I don't think Ike was any better than Katrina.

Sorry about your Aunt's house in San Leon. Thank goodness she heeded the warnings and left....... I heard from a member of the boards that San Leon was in bad shape.... Good luck to her.

A few weeks back I went to Brazoria to check on our lake house. We have extensive damage. It flooded about 2 feet up downstairs so the floors need to be completely redone. I'm also worried about structural damage done to the mainframe of the house from the flood waters as it took me awhile to be able to get down there to see the devastation.

I do hope that everyone on these boards that was effected by Ike is safe and sound. If there's anything that Bruja and I can do for y'alll, please feel free to ask either one of us. Houstonians always help Houstonians, even if I am displaced lol.

I just remembered this question I had from the night of the hurricane. I wasn't online for a while afterwards due to loss of power, and forgot about it until now.

I was very surprised throughout the night, how well lit the sky was. I would have thought that between the power being out and the clouds/rain, that it would have been pitch black outside. There was almost a glow, it was so bright. Is this a common hurricane phenomenon, or was it unique to Ike?

I got my first installment from my insurance company today!!!! First thing is a new roof. It's hard to believe that the same roof I got quotes on back in February for $6500 to $7000 is now going to cost $10,000+. Un-freakin-believable. After that I have to replace a section of fence and repair where the brick is actually separating from my house. Anyone know someone that does good masonry work?? :thinking:

I just remembered this question I had from the night of the hurricane. I wasn't online for a while afterwards due to loss of power, and forgot about it until now.

I was very surprised throughout the night, how well lit the sky was. I would have thought that between the power being out and the clouds/rain, that it would have been pitch black outside. There was almost a glow, it was so bright. Is this a common hurricane phenomenon, or was it unique to Ike?

I remember it being very orange before the hurricane which was cool

My wife, kids and I are staying with my Mom this weekend in her FEMA trailer. She just got moved in a week ago. It took over 3 months but at least she has some housing for the next year and a half. But driving through Anahuac and down the country road to my Mom's place it dawned on me how this hurricane has changed everything and that it will be MANY years, if ever, that things get back to normal around here. There is no barbed wire fence along the road, it's all gone, there is no cattle. All the ranchers had to sell of their heards right after the storm. There is so much debris everywhere out in the county you can see it for miles scattered across the pasteur, the town is still tore up pretty bad, no telling how many left and aren't coming back. Groups of people were living in tents in Ft. Anahuac Park for months. And I haven't heard much about what is going to happen with Oak Island but it was pretty much wiped off the map. It's all very sad to see, I guess my 3 months back in RR since the events I kind of stop thinking about it. My wife said she felt like crying just from driving through town. This is going to be one of those defining moments in my life. There will be everything before Ike and then everything after.

Back