Hurricane Ike

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
at200809_5day.gif

at200809_sat_2_anim.gif

at200809_model.gif

nine09l.2008090112_anim.gif

:headhurts:

Well, at least all my gutters are cleaned out and aligned properly...as of noon today, whew.
Now, I better see some rain in the near future dammit. :D

Ike will be one to worry about for the Gulf Coast.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

This is about Ike
The computer models tell us that this tropical depression has a reasonable chance of striking Florida or possibly even sneaking into the Gulf of Mexico during the next week or so.

But that seems somewhat unlikely from an historical perspective.

Since at least the year 1900, only one tropical storm has formed within 150 nautical miles of this tropical depression and tracked all the way to Texas. For most systems, it's simply too far north for storms this far east of the continental United States.

According to Brian Brettscheider, of the 67 tropical storms that have passed within 150 miles of Tropical Depression Nine's position since 1900, eight have made a U.S. landfall. That's 12 percent.

Therefore, while this system will likely become a hurricane during the next week, it's something Gulf Coast residents probably needn't overly concern ourselves with. If that changes I'll of course let you know.

And we haven't even reached peak season. This is almost like 2005. Almost.

On this date (Sep. 1) in '05, the depression that would become Maria, on Sep. 2, formed.

We're about 4 storms behind that pace, but October (7 storms) and then the 4 VERY unusual storms in November and December helped blow up 2005. 11 storms AFTER the peak of the season. We're just getting to the peak and we're just at 9. That's how weird 2005 was.

I've been hearing comparisons to 1995. They were two storms ahead of 2008 at this point.
at1995.gif

True. On this date in 1995, Luis had just reached Cat 4 status a few hundred miles east of the Lesser Antilles. We're 3 storms behind that pace.

Last edited:
Ah, Ike.
So appropriate. Named for my brother in law, a PITA (pain in the ***) from Mississippi. If there will be trouble coming to us, it will be from Ike.

My sister is going to hate all the wisecracks I will have for this one until it dissipates. Especially if he comes over here. I am glad that Doc isn't in the hurricane name rotation...she would have too much fun. (No love between us spouse-in-laws, can ya tell?).

:shades:

For the 1995 season, how the hell did a storm strengthen in the middle of America?

If you're referring to Opal, those things, that far inland, and especially in October, get caught up in a cold front and morph into a strong low pressure center, like a Nor'easter. It's a cold air core and doesn't feed off warm water. And those things can produce hurricane force winds. That is likely what happened to Opal.

Just lovely - my parents are suppose to be flying out of Puerto Rico on Saturday. Why did I sense I'm going to be waiting at the Airport forever waiting for them?

Just lovely - my parents are suppose to be flying out of Puerto Rico on Saturday. Why did I sense I'm going to be waiting at the Airport forever waiting for them?
Just dress up in a suit and wear an Eisenhower mask... the storm'll get scared and leave.

This is the mother of all storms. The storm of the centry if you will.

Get out now. If you stay you are an *****.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Lookout Florida.

disneyhurricane.jpg

This is a pic from a few years ago but I was reminded of it looking at the tropics.

There's a small chance that it could curve north and head towards the northeast coast...

I can't imagine the mayhem that would follow if a major hurricane were headed towards New York

083712W_sm.gif

Wonderful. So if Ike hits Miami on Tuesday, it will probably move up to Georgia/Atlanta area on the 11th (Thursday), the same day I fly into Atlanta.

I guess I will need extra Jack Daniels for that flight.

Wonderful. So if Ike hits Miami on Tuesday, it will probably move up to Georgia/Atlanta area on the 11th (Thursday), the same day I fly into Atlanta.

No, Ike will probably plow right through Florida and not move up.

Just for the Flight??? Don't deprive yourself......

I don't like Ike... it looks like its another Andrew.

I wonder if they have the contraflow worked out on the Mississippi and Louisiana Interstates, because come next Wednesday they are going to have to bail out of New Orleans again... That was a cluster F last week.

Nagin's stupid "Gustav is the Mother of all Storms" remark, along with the hassle of the authorities not letting people back in to New Orleans and leaving them sitting along the side of Interstate 55 and 59 will just make it harder to evacuate NOLA this time..

storm_09.gif

Last edited:
If Ike stays on the red or blue course, the UH-Air Force game will probably be canceled and the Texans-Ravens game will have to be postponed somehow. The Texans and Ravens do not have the same bye week.

If Ike stays on the red or blue course, the UH-Air Force game will probably be canceled and the Texans-Ravens game will have to be postponed somehow. The Texans and Ravens do not have the same bye week.

Watch them move the Texan game to Dallas..lol. Jerry Jones will need yet another face lift after that one.

Back