Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hurricane Ike

Here's the latest from my folks, as of 12:30PM CDT:

Thanks for posting that. Good info. I'm afraid I am going to be right. I had this just a tad south of Freeport when the NHC was south of Corpus. I am sticking to those guns ata this point. I don't think it will be as powerful as what this guy is saying though. But, you never know. I see a borderline cat 2/3 at landfall, maybe around 120mph. Still pretty darn bad even if that is correct.

I went out in it. I drove up to the local Del Taco and had a steak and cheese burrito while I watched signs and stuff blow down the street. It was fun.

Now, not so much.

lol I remember my dad went to the store when the eye passed over Houston. We lived in the 34th/TC Jester area. Like you said it was fun but not now, especially since I live so close to the ocean.

When I was a kid and had no worries, I loved hurricanes, now I hate to even think about them when they form in the Gulf.:headhurts:

I went out in it. I drove up to the local Del Taco and had a steak and cheese burrito while I watched signs and stuff blow down the street. It was fun.

Now, not so much.

I agree with y'all. Schools shutting down, devastation and debris is all fun and games until you grow up and have a family and home of your own.

BTW, Rep to Herv for the Del Taco reference. Del Taco>Taco Bell

at200809_model.gif

awww poo....if it hits around Freeport my house in Alvin will be an interesting place to be.

You're darn right "awww poo"... Thats not really what I was hoping to see...

Del Taco>Taco Bell........... mmmmmm steak and cheese burrito at 2:00am.

I agree with y'all. Schools shutting down, devastation and debris is all fun and games until you grow up and have a family and home of your own.

BTW, Rep to Herv for the Del Taco reference. Del Taco>Taco Bell

I miss Del Taco. It was way better than Taco Bell.

You're darn right "awww poo"... Thats not really what I was hoping to see...

Del Taco>Taco Bell........... mmmmmm steak and cheese burrito at 2:00am.

Del Taco was to die for!!! They still around?? I used to leave Steak & Ale on my "lunch" hour and head down Mangum about a 1/4 mile they were so good.

Last edited:
I guess I missed out on the Del Tacos, I don't remember them for some reason.

Back in the day, there were 3 fast food Tex-Mex places (this was even before Two Pesos)

Del Taco
Taco Smell Hell
Taco Bueno

If this thing steers up towards Lake Charles, we should be groovy for Sunday.

Back in the day, there were 3 fast food Tex-Mex places (this was even before Two Pesos)

Del Taco
Taco Smell Hell
Taco Bueno

If this thing steers up towards Lake Charles, we should be groovy for Sunday.

Ummmmmmmm........

That's fine. It's not coming here. You can book it.

At any rate, my windows are boarded, my generator is full, and I've got food, water, diapers (not for me) and plenty of essentials.

And, in turn, a little closer to Lake Charles.

dammit

One thing about Ike is that it's pretty damn big. Hurricane force winds will stretch out really far. Carla clone confirmed.

Ummmmmmmm........

That's fine. It's not coming here. You can book it.

At any rate, my windows are boarded, my generator is full, and I've got food, water, diapers (not for me) and plenty of essentials.

I know that you live there, but you never know. If this thing gets more powerful, it swings to the north even more. You saw how far it swung just today by becoming a Cat 2. Imagine if it went to Cat 3 on into Cat 4. A landfall in Galveston or further north (with the size of Ike) would be a worst case scenario for Lake Charles basically. Oh yeah, and add to the fact that Ike is moving slowly.

Last edited:
Scary, GFDL is usually the most accurate...and pointing right over Houston.

The one guy I trust for hurricane information is Eric Berger, the SciGuy blogger on Chron.com. He has very good information. On his chat this afternoon someone asked if the GFDL is reliable and he answered

The GFDL is a reliable model, but others have handled the storm better so far (ie UKMET and ECMWF). They haven't jumped north this afternoon.

Of course hurricanes are always unpredictable so just because the other models have moved north doesn't mean it wont.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

Taco Bueno was good too.

I was reading above and this is the first thing that popped into my mind. I loved Taco Bueno.

The one guy I trust for hurricane information is Eric Berger, the SciGuy blogger on Chron.com. He has very good information. On his chat this afternoon someone asked if the GFDL is reliable and he answered

Of course hurricanes are always unpredictable so just because the other models have moved north doesn't mean it wont.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

I go to him all the time. He knows his stuff on chron.com. Weird for that paper. :). Anyways, i had a trip to Brownwood, outside Abilene to see my father in laws new place out in the coutry so hopefully i can get out Friday and maybe shoot birds out there waiting this out.

One thing about Ike is that it's pretty damn big. Hurricane force winds will stretch out really far. Carla clone confirmed.

I know that you live there, but you never know. If this thing gets more powerful, it swings to the north even more. You saw how far it swung just today by becoming a Cat 2. Imagine if it went to Cat 3 on into Cat 4. A landfall in Galveston or further north (with the size of Ike) would be a worst case scenario for Lake Charles basically. Oh yeah, and add to the fact that Ike is moving slowly.

Lots of 'ifs' associated with Ike yet.

We have plenty of provisions at the house. Did I mention that we also have two full gas tanks and bags packed ready to head off to family out of harms way?

Me, not stupid.

Anyone in the Richmond/Sugar Land area? I haven't been here all that long but as I haven't seen us on any of the evac maps and don't believe it to be a low lying flood zone, we're pretty sure we'll stay put.

Forward speed is still hovering around 8 m/hr. The longer this guy takes to get moving, the more time is allowed for the high pressure ridge which is causing the western motion to withdraw and allow the incoming trough to pick the storm up and bring up towards us. I think that's the difference in several of the models, such as the GFDL, NOGAPS, and HWRF, that are pointed more up the coastline from the ones aimed more around Matagorda Bay. Those southerly aimed models I don't think are picking up the potential of the that trough to impact the course. Still a good ways out though, so who knows?

Why not? These things are nothing to play with. I can't imagine not taking every step possible to make sure one's self and property are secure.

Okay, this would be crap for Lake Charles again. I know what my relatives went through with Rita, but found this VERY interesting (from ClutchFans):

Jeff said:
Looking back at the historical track for Rita is interesting. Ike is in basically the EXACT same location as Rita was three days prior to landfall. It's track for the next day is very similar to the forecast track of Ike. After that, Rita made a much more steady northwesterly turn and made landfall at the Louisiana/Texas border.

Check these track models overlaid. Rita is faded - note it is less than 50 miles north of the projected landfall for Ike 3 days out.

ike_rita.jpg

Historical for Rita: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/RITA_graphics.shtml

And Ike is basically the same.

Okay, but a Freeport to TX/LA landfall is looking a LOT more likely now. No two storms are the same, but the same conditions for Ike happened with Rita. Ike is at the same spot now (three days before landfall) that Rita was. In fact, both were Wednesdays. This was about the time people started leaving Houston and it was announced we had no school for a week (Katy ISD).

From the last (minute distance) measurement it was going straight towards N.O. (again very short distance). It looks like they have it hugging the underwater ridge off the coast of mexico and veering left and then an upwards turn towards the port oconner area.

i'm hoping it doesn't veer along the ridge, hits the deep water and starts heading north from the get go. Here's to hoping from a guy that knows jack about hurricanes though.

I don't like Ike. It has been intensifying faster than expected and the cone has been inching closer towards Houston for a while now. Plus there is the giant wind field it has... Houston can be a fair on either side of it and still receive a lot of nasty.

Guess I will have to watch the news tonight.

Last edited:
Okay, but a Freeport to TX/LA landfall is looking a LOT more likely now.

Wait until the 6pm discussion to form. Also, 10pm discussion and 6am discussion (NOAA) will show somewhat a smaller cone area.

Reguardless if it hits Freeport, Houston will be on the dirty side. I'm trying my hardest to cancel my Atlanta trip flying out tomorrow and returning Friday night at 10 (right smack when the Cane' is coming in).

The NHC just updated their advisory and has upgraded Ike to a CAT 2 with 95 mph winds. They are calling for landfall as a CAT 4 major hurricane with winds of 135 mph gusts to 175 mph just NORTH of Matagorda Bay. This continues to put Houston/Galveston in a more serious threat of damaging winds and high coastal surge with the storm. Landfall late Friday night/Saturday morning.

I'm off to school.

Doesn't look like we are going to miss this one. Crap, and I'm on the ride out team at work.

I have tickets to Astros on Friday and Saturday, then the Texans on Sunday.

I am flying from LA to Hobby, arriving at 1:35 pm on Friday.

My plan is be on that plane. The only thing that will stop me is a cancelled flight or games.

My plan is be on that plane. The only thing that will stop me is a cancelled flight or games.

I'd think twice about your plans on coming here if I was you.

Best of luck, man. You going to put something on youtube like the Raider thing after you get home?

Can I stay at your place while you're gone then? The wife and I will be on a plane tomorrow ... sister-in-law lives in Huntington and I would *much* rather be chillin on a beach than sitting in the dark listening to the wind and rain for three days!

Back