Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans 2024 OTA’s and Mandatory Mini Camp

For me all PD 40 times are suspect

I was referring to speculation about his 4.5 on his Pro Day
According to your own statement 'all PD 40 times are suspect'.

So clearly you think the 4.65 was suspect.

The speculation was over whether or not he really ran as high as a 4.65, because people who've watched his tape know he plays much faster than that. That's when multiple NFL personnel said they timed him closer to 4.5-4.51. Making the 4.65 even more questionable.

You wanna sum a player's eval and prospects up all by one data point that you yourself consider 'suspect' versus the 3 years of tape of the same player being dominant in the most competitive conference in college football marking the best opposition from one saturday to the next all the way through and including the highest of leverage situations like conference championship, playoff, and national title games.. well, if that's your best method, be my guest bud. I'll go with what I've seen on tape and what the most benefit of the doubt people like DeMeco have to say in choosing the guy.

Good talk though.

When someone continually repeats the same negative statement. It’s a complaint

Like I said they’re learning their jobs but don’t have to be on the field right now. Why? Because it’s not mandatory nor a requirement at this time.
BS, post of the day.

Apparently you missed the part of my post where I said I could care less.

BS, post of the day.

Apparently you missed the part of my post where I said I could care less.
Now we’re taking shots now. Nothing about my post was BS. You’re on here botching about a few elite veterans not participating in voluntary camp is BS.

And apparently you do care because you’re repeating your darn self ever freaking day.

Finally every team’s playbook is quite similar.

How many games have they played in Ryans system? I'm not asking for them to do anything physical. BTW, maybe they've already gotten their playbooks and are burning the midnight oil studying them. LOL

I’m sure they got playbooks a long time ago and are in consistent contact with the coaches and teammates.

Matter of fact on the radio they said Hunter was at the facility during otas he just wasn’t out on the field. He lives in Houston so Im almost positive he’s been around.

Last edited:
I have high hopes for this message board this season.

We haven’t had any mandatory OTAs and it seems we are in mid-season form.

Championship!
High hopes for this message board? :rolleyes:

The expectations are going to be so high, the childish squabbling by the usual suspects here will render this place unreadable by mid-season. But, if I missed the sarcasm, congrats, you’ve upped your game.:tiphat:

Interesting point “win now” doesn’t cripple future. Like Mixon contract, Caserio did right by the player, which is best for both parties long run. Look, think fans are just being fans, some more impatient than others, just can’t wait to see these high profile, elite players on the field, I get it. But I’m also concerned about current crop of elite players, CJ, Tank, Nico and Anderson out there going this hard when resting their bodies for long upcoming season might be needed as well. So I’m cutting any player slack who’s either in or out to make the best personal decision for them.

I’ve heard the NFL is looking at increasing regular season to 18 games then 20 in another couple of years. That’s a lot to digest and concerning to me, imagine how the players feel? Of course, salaries will go up accordingly, but how much can the human body take, gotta be smarter and take care of your health at all costs. So for Tunsil & Howard specifically, get your rest and recover so you can be fresh for training camp then the season.
If they eventually go to 20 games a season, I’m almost positive each team will have two bye weeks. If you told me that I’d make $10M+ a year but I had to play 20 games a season I would still say HellPhookYes and sign the contract!

I really don’t care if someone misses a non mandatory practice.

Would be nice if the new guys were team building every second they can but people have lives.

Interesting that Azeez Al-Shaair was there and he probably has a greater grasp on Demeco’s D than our current players.

Eliminate preseason altogether in favor of controlled scrimmages. I realize the first couple of games may be a little rough but I think it’s already the case because coaches hold out a lot of starters. Then go to a 20 game schedule with two bye weeks - one during the first half and another in the second half. So basically a 22 week season.

I do think 20 is the absolute limit, and they should never go beyond it, but I think it can be done.

To whom much is given, much is expected. Tunsil should be in the building. How much is he making again? If he’s not on the field, totally understandable, but as the leader of the line, I’d like him to set the bar high. That said…not the end of the world. It’s just off-season fodder to mash it up with you guys. The others not there right now…really not a big deal in my eyes especially if they are around the building.

To whom much is given, much is expected. Tunsil should be in the building. How much is he making again? If he’s not on the field, totally understandable, but as the leader of the line, I’d like him to set the bar high. That said…not the end of the world. It’s just off-season fodder to mash it up with you guys. The others not there right now…really not a big deal in my eyes especially if they are around the building.

Agreed, Tunsil has been doing his own workouts for several years. He knows the system, so I'm of the "if it works don't fix it" mindset.

When Gibbs was here he used the time to teach the rookie OL the ZBS system in a classroom setting and then they went out on the field without pads and Gibbs found out how much they had learned in the classroom had translated to the field. He did this with very little hitting going on. Although they didn't get fined one time for the ol doing too much hitting in OTA's.
The Texans were sued in 2009 for Illegal contact drills allowed in 2008 OTAs............as three Texans were injured during those drills.

If they eventually go to 20 games a season, I’m almost positive each team will have two bye weeks. If you told me that I’d make $10M+ a year but I had to play 20 games a season I would still say HellPhookYes and sign the contract!
Yes, two bye weeks is what I heard also.

Hopefully by the time the 20-game schedules arrive, Nick will have deepened the roster to provide excellent relief for our starters. I am thinking 20 games would begin no sooner than 2026.

Hopefully by the time the 20-game schedules arrive, Nick will have deepened the roster to provide excellent relief for our starters. I am thinking 20 games would begin no sooner than 2026.
20 games, should make it 2 10 game seasons with winners facing off in post season or such. If you suck in a 20 game season, long time with no hope

20 games, should make it 2 10 game seasons with winners facing off in post season or such. If you suck in a 20 game season, long time with no hope
So, 20 game season with no preseason games? How will coaches evaluate players under game conditions? For vets this may not be a big deal, but when you have multiple young players vying for playing/starting time? And with contact being limited in training camp and during the season?

I'm in agreement that TV revenue and betting is changing the game and not for the better. But there are a lot of blankedty blank fans willing to shell out those greenbacks, so there's no turning back.

So, 20 game season with no preseason games? How will coaches evaluate players under game conditions? For vets this may not be a big deal, but when you have multiple young players vying for playing/starting time? And with contact being limited in training camp and during the season?

I'm in agreement that TV revenue and betting is changing the game and not for the better. But there are a lot of blankedty blank fans willing to shell out those greenbacks, so there's no turning back.

Not advocating for a 20-game season, like at all. I think it's a f*ck*ng terrible idea, in fact. I also don't think it'll happen any time soon.

That said, the NCAA doesn't play a preseason. Spring practices, intra-squad spring game, more practices, and straight into a regular season schedule.

And they've got a lot more than a 53-man roster to build for, from incoming freshman to and through seniors, and constant portal transfers.

20 games, should make it 2 10 game seasons with winners facing off in post season or such.
What would be the incentive for teams that locked up a playoff berth in the first half season to make an effort in the 2nd season?

Now we’re taking shots now. Nothing about my post was BS. You’re on here botching about a few elite veterans not participating in voluntary camp is BS.

And apparently you do care because you’re repeating your darn self ever freaking day.

Finally every team’s playbook is quite similar.
Furthermore it looks like non-mandatory OTA’s are going away as early as 2025 anyway.

What would be the incentive for teams that locked up a playoff berth in the first half season to make an effort in the 2nd season?
Would it not be the same as it is now if a team had locked up the playoffs after 10 games?

"We want to put defenses in binds, and I think with those three guys it allows us to do that because they are so different, and they can all do different things," Ryans said. "But at the end of the day, they are all explosive finishers with the football, and that is what makes those guys great players. They can win on third down, and they can finish and get in the end zone, and that's what we look for at all skill positions on offense."
Even though Diggs wasn't at the Texans' second OTA, he has been present at other offseason activities.
"It's been really fun working with Diggs," Ryans said. "You talk about a guy who's dialed in, a guy who loves football. It's been fun to work with him. It's been fun just to see the chemistry that starts to build in our locker room with him, our quarterback, the other receivers, offensive players, defensive players. He's going to be a really great fit with what we do here."
Stroud and Diggs have found time through the offseason to build chemistry. Shortly after Houston traded for Diggs, Stroud led a training session with Diggs -- along with players such as John Metchie III, Dell and others -- in Los Angeles.
"[Diggs] adds a ton of value to that room," Stroud said. "There's a lot of wisdom that he carries that I think he'll spread to the other guys. He's been reaching out to really everybody, and I think that whole room in general is going to be great. I think we're all going to feed off of each other. It's going to be very fun and very exciting just to work with everybody in that room, and I'm very excited for it."

"We want to put defenses in binds, and I think with those three guys it allows us to do that because they are so different, and they can all do different things," Ryans said. "But at the end of the day, they are all explosive finishers with the football, and that is what makes those guys great players. They can win on third down, and they can finish and get in the end zone, and that's what we look for at all skill positions on offense."
Even though Diggs wasn't at the Texans' second OTA, he has been present at other offseason activities.
"It's been really fun working with Diggs," Ryans said. "You talk about a guy who's dialed in, a guy who loves football. It's been fun to work with him. It's been fun just to see the chemistry that starts to build in our locker room with him, our quarterback, the other receivers, offensive players, defensive players. He's going to be a really great fit with what we do here."
Stroud and Diggs have found time through the offseason to build chemistry. Shortly after Houston traded for Diggs, Stroud led a training session with Diggs -- along with players such as John Metchie III, Dell and others -- in Los Angeles.
"[Diggs] adds a ton of value to that room," Stroud said. "There's a lot of wisdom that he carries that I think he'll spread to the other guys. He's been reaching out to really everybody, and I think that whole room in general is going to be great. I think we're all going to feed off of each other. It's going to be very fun and very exciting just to work with everybody in that room, and I'm very excited for it."

Whew! What a sigh of relief!

Diggs and Stroud have built chemistry. I was afraid they wouldn’t have enough time because Diggs wasn’t on the field at OTAs.

Championship!

seeding, paychecks, being a professional. I have not worked out the details, just think one 20 game is too long. Just spit balling
Agreed, but like everything else in today's NFL it's going to eventually happen. There's too much money out there for it not to happen. Hopefully they have 2 bye weeks and expand the rosters by 5 or so players.

Agreed, but like everything else in today's NFL it's going to eventually happen. There's too much money out there for it not to happen. Hopefully they have 2 bye weeks and expand the rosters by 5 or so players.

I don’t understand why they can’t carry all 53 on game day. Like why do some have to be inactiv? I’ve racked my brain multiple times trying to understand it but haven’t made sense of it yet. If the guy makes the team he should suit up and be available to play.

I’ve been absent for a few weeks. How’s everyone looking in OTA’s? Anything stand out?

It was real shaky at first.

Diggs wasn’t at OTAs. People were worried about chemistry. But it turns out Stroud, Diggs and Metchie got together after the trade and get chemistry. They are all mad scientists now. And Diggs has been in the building during OTAs and doing other things.

Bullet dodged.

Yes - sarcasm.

I don’t understand why they can’t carry all 53 on game day. Like why do some have to be inactiv? I’ve racked my brain multiple times trying to understand it but haven’t made sense of it yet. If the guy makes the team he should suit up and be available to play.
18 games with 60 player active plus increase practice squad. 7 x 32= 224 new jobs would get NFLPA attention and older vets could see a way to hang around to pad their pension.

I’ve been absent for a few weeks. How’s everyone looking in OTA’s? Anything stand out?
Collins traded for a round 2. Stroud borrowed a training table and asked for a room at Houstonian hotel.

Diggs showed up at OTAs to announce retirement. Howard and Kenyon Green placed on season ending IR.
Tunsil was caught in unannounced urine test with quaaludes to help him slow that left foot coming off LOS.

Cal forced Nick to sign Steve Nelson if Steve agreed to wear a Nick vest over his uniform.
Danielle Hunter said he's going by Danny to decrease questions.

Will Anderson debuted his new sack dance " let's go crazy!" as he plays Prince air guitar.
Momma McNair is still not taking calls from son Cary but was heard mumbling "I should have taken that pacifier away when he turned 14.."

No.. it has been relatively quiet and you've not missed anything.

A 3rd QB should be mandatory and all 53 should be active.

Ahhhhh, the excessive American way. Feed crack to the addict and more games to the fans. Hard to tell who’s really to blame.

A 3rd QB should be mandatory and all 53 should be active.

I’m not sure if I’d make a 3rd QB mandatory but I fail to understand why all 53 players on a roster can’t suit up and be available for each game. I have always assumed there was some clear cut reason. Other than forcing coaches to keep guys in street clothes that they are paying to play…I haven’t come up with a reason. Obviously there is one or the rule wouldn’t exist. Doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe someone else has an idea…

I’m not sure if I’d make a 3rd QB mandatory but I fail to understand why all 53 players on a roster can’t suit up and be available for each game. I have always assumed there was some clear cut reason. Other than forcing coaches to keep guys in street clothes that they are paying to play…I haven’t come up with a reason. Obviously there is one or the rule wouldn’t exist. Doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe someone else has an idea…
Injuries is the answer. To eliminate an advantage one team may have over another by having fewer injuries. Often, teams won't have 53 guys available to play. So limiting the number of active players on game day negates the disadvantage of the team with more injuries.

Back