Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans 2024 OTA’s and Mandatory Mini Camp

The way I see it, Diggs is a clean slate. Yes, he has a history of being a problem. He also was in Buffalo and Minnesota.

Im not Billy Badass but Im not typically a vagina either.... but you put me in either of those places and no matter how much I suck it up and do all thats asked of me in August... I promise you by November at the latest I will become the biggest whiney sniveling cry baby female dog in the north.

There is a reason I stay at my current latitude on this planet... I need the equator to be right where it is in my proximity... I do not do snow and cold well.

So yes, Id be a bitchy little diva anywhere that 12 feet of snow is a common occurrence too.

I even told my wife, if we ever living in Canada or North US... I am a house husband anytime its whiter outside the window than what I see in the mirror.

Treat him like a problem, he might become a problem. Give him benefit of the doubt (since you already traded for him) and hope the ole business motto pays off.... location, location, location.

Tunsil sure. Howard still rehabbing, ok. Rookies on other hand need all the work they can get.
What work would they get in voluntary OTAs? That's a serious question. It's great work for the skill positions, but not so much in the trenches. No pads, no contact. It's a great 7 0n 7 activity, but I don't really see the benefit of linemen, outside of showing face and being around the coaches.

The way I see it, Diggs is a clean slate. Yes, he has a history of being a problem. He also was in Buffalo and Minnesota.

Im not Billy Badass but Im not typically a vagina either.... but you put me in either of those places and no matter how much I suck it up and do all thats asked of me in August... I promise you by November at the latest I will become the biggest whiney sniveling cry baby female dog in the north.

There is a reason I stay at my current latitude on this planet... I need the equator to be right where it is in my proximity... I do not do snow and cold well.

So yes, Id be a bitchy little diva anywhere that 12 feet of snow is a common occurrence too.

I even told my wife, if we ever living in Canada or North US... I am a house husband anytime its whiter outside the window than what I see in the mirror.

Treat him like a problem, he might become a problem. Give him benefit of the doubt (since you already traded for him) and hope the ole business motto pays off.... location, location, location.
I'm currently working 45 minutes south of the Mistake by the Lake. I'm a native Houstonian, so I get it. After 7 years up here though, I'll take the winters over the summers in the South.
As far as Diggs goes, he's made himself unwelcome with 2 teams. That's cause for concern, especially when one of those teams was willing to eat a $31 MILLION dollar dead money cap hit just to get rid of him. A 2025 2nd takes a bit of the sting out of, but nowhere near all of it.
I think Diggs will be fine this season, but the history Diggs has is why I think Caserio gave him $3 million extra and nullified the final 3 years of his contract. This is a "win now" move that doesn't cripple the salary cap in the future. It also gives the Texans flexibility to re-sign Diggs if Collins doesn't have another stellar season.

I'm currently working 45 minutes south of the Mistake by the Lake. I'm a native Houstonian, so I get it. After 7 years up here though, I'll take the winters over the summers in the South.
As far as Diggs goes, he's made himself unwelcome with 2 teams. That's cause for concern, especially when one of those teams was willing to eat a $31 MILLION dollar dead money cap hit just to get rid of him. A 2025 2nd takes a bit of the sting out of, but nowhere near all of it.
I think Diggs will be fine this season, but the history Diggs has is why I think Caserio gave him $3 million extra and nullified the final 3 years of his contract. This is a "win now" move that doesn't cripple the salary cap in the future. It also gives the Texans flexibility to re-sign Diggs if Collins doesn't have another stellar season.
Exactly. Native Texan myself and the happiest I’ve ever been was when I lived in International Falls, MN. I recently moved to Alaska. My business still makes its home in Texas but I’ll never move back. Too effin’ hot.

Exactly. Native Texan myself and the happiest I’ve ever been was when I lived in International Falls, MN. I recently moved to Alaska. My business still makes its home in Texas but I’ll never move back. Too effin’ hot.
Yep, you can always put on more layers to get warm, but you're screwed trying to get cool... unless you stay inside in a/c

Yep, you can always put on more layers to get warm, but you're screwed trying to get cool... unless you stay inside in a/c
Until you are stuck in -40 degrees no power and all you can do is cut off toes and limbs cause your car wont start. No thanks.

Ive gone through the heat my whole life and never once came close to losing a limb or digit cause my car didn't start.

My wife is from the land of -50 and I say there is NO WAY in the deepest pit of Hades I will ever visit my inlaws for Christmas.

Id rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire than to be up north in the cold.

Furthest Ive been during winter was STL during 9 degree rains.... slush and snow, pulling over every 5-10 mins to defrost the windshield..... haha hell no. I tapped out and stayed south ever since... when the birds fly south... I stay put.

I understand he has a track record that doesn't look good. However, the time to heed that history and exercise caution is before the trade (although I agree the 1 year deal IS likely a step to protect the team of he does continue his ways.)

Simce I had no say in the trade, I would rather focus on what Figgs is capable of doing here rather than the cancer he could remain. I dont care what he did for other teams. He is with my team now and if he continues his trend there will come a time I say of him like a certain QB. F him and move on.

Til then, I can only hope his trend changes course in a new environment, no matter how inlikely

Until you are stuck in -40 degrees no power and all you can do is cut off toes and limbs cause your car wont start. No thanks.

Ive gone through the heat my whole life and never once came close to losing a limb or digit cause my car didn't start.

My wife is from the land of -50 and I say there is NO WAY in the deepest pit of Hades I will ever visit my inlaws for Christmas.

Id rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire than to be up north in the cold.

Furthest Ive been during winter was STL during 9 degree rains.... slush and snow, pulling over every 5-10 mins to defrost the windshield..... haha hell no. I tapped out and stayed south ever since... when the birds fly south... I stay put.
That's what generators are for. All of the power lines are underground where I live. The power has been out once since I've lived here.

Reactions: JB
That's what generators are for. All of the power lines are underground where I live. The power has been out once since I've lived here.
But the same could be said for down here with an AC.... :spin:... generator.... hug an AC both extremes mean you are tied to technology in order to be comfortable. Stay hydrated the heat wont kill ya in 10 mins like -50 will.... still a hard pass but to each their own.

Im sure I would love it up north during the 3 weeks without polar bears and penguins. Only in the warmth can I have happy feet... let those little tuxedo mother fathers sleep in a kenmore. I say.

But the same could be said for down here with an AC.... :spin:... generator.... hug an AC both extremes mean you are tied to technology in order to be comfortable. Stay hydrated the heat wont kill ya in 10 mins like -50 will.... still a hard pass but to each their own.

Im sure I would love it up north during the 3 weeks without polar bears and penguins. Only in the warmth can I have happy feet... let those little tuxedo mother fathers sleep in a kenmore. I say.
I just wish I could migrate like the geese, Houston for three seasons and the Colorado Mountains in the summer.

If I were going to be anywhere but Texas it would be Southern California. Where I spent most of my 20s where my winter clothing was at most a leather jacket and jeans. I was fine walking around in a Tshirt and jeans though. The summers, even in record breaking heat waves did nothing to me. Felt like Superman going from Texas to Cali.

I loved the weather, loved the view being in the mountains, but the people and prices are to crazy.

I understand he has a track record that doesn't look good. However, the time to heed that history and exercise caution is before the trade (although I agree the 1 year deal IS likely a step to protect the team of he does continue his ways.)

Simce I had no say in the trade, I would rather focus on what Figgs is capable of doing here rather than the cancer he could remain. I dont care what he did for other teams. He is with my team now and if he continues his trend there will come a time I say of him like a certain QB. F him and move on.

Til then, I can only hope his trend changes course in a new environment, no matter how inlikely
We always have blankets in our vehicles. ALWAYS. My son and I have slept out in -40 with no problems. And he was like 5-6 years old at the time too. We still have our digits.

*knock on wood*

I think more people die from the heat than the cold in the US.

We always have blankets in our vehicles. ALWAYS. My son and I have slept out in -40 with no problems. And he was like 5-6 years old at the time too. We still have our digits.

*knock on wood*

It's at least double the number of people who die from cold over those that die from heat in the US.

*knock on wood*

Which is why I said, "stay hydrated" hydration is key.

More people die of hippo attacks than lions or sharks, I still wouldn't want to play with either. Will never be convinced cold is more pleasant.

I stay in the south where its hot and I don't have to get out in it several times a week just to shovel snow off my driveway and sidewalk and cling to my AC. Id never leave the house period if I lived in a -any temp climate. IF hell froze over and I had to leave Id set myself on fire before leaving the house.

Which is why I said, "stay hydrated" hydration is key.

More people die of hippo attacks than lions or sharks, I still wouldn't want to play with either. Will never be convinced cold is more pleasant.

I stay in the south where its hot and I don't have to get out in it several times a week just to shovel snow off my driveway and sidewalk and cling to my AC. Id never leave the house period if I lived in a -any temp climate. IF hell froze over and I had to leave Id set myself on fire before leaving the house.
You should move to the Philippines

You should move to the Philippines
Nah, I like America just fine...I've known a few pinoy and they were some awesome people but the place itself has no interest for me.... besides, I hate being hot, just find it a million times easier to deal with than cold... IF I could trade the Houston summer for an added Houston winter.... yes please.... 40s is fine, but 50-60s and I am perfectly content... although..................

The only place I might deal with the cold just because and leave America for is Japan.... but even then it would take every fiber of my being and Id still need the financial ability to hibernate.. but then Japan might be the only place I would be willing to try to battle the cold elements.... the hell that is snow and suck it up just to enjoy Japan during the warm months.

I'd like to see Diggs there all in all, but to me he's not the leader of the WR core. For my money, that's Nico and Nico is out there working his butt off.

The only guy I'm ragging on a bit is Tunsil...and it's not like I'm over here in panic mode. But if you ask me to pick a guy I want there, it's Tunsil.

He may still be rehabbing, but this is his MO. He skips what he can every year and does as little as possible. As the undisputed leader of the line, I don't like the mojo he gives off. He could be there while rehabbing, taking mental reps, working with the rookies and new guys, building chemistry, providing tips and advice, and basically taking the leadership role.

He's a finesse player with the same mental attitude as his physical attributes. For the jack he's making, for his talent and reputation, I'd like him to give more of himself. But as my Mom used to say, you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

He is what he is. The sooner he is replaced, the better the overall line will be imho. The fish always rots from the head down. We need an absolute junkyard dog at LT to set the tone. Tunsil isn't a pit bull. He's more like an Italian Greyhound.
So you're wanting to get rid of a top 4-5 LT because he doesn't show up to mini camp because he's rehabbing a knee injury that he gutted out playing most of the season on , when most players wouldn't be out there playing. That guy isn't tough enough for you. To each their own I guess.

Tell me were you one of the posters that wanted to trade Tunsil for a late 1st, early 2nd rd pick?

What work would they get in voluntary OTAs? That's a serious question. It's great work for the skill positions, but not so much in the trenches. No pads, no contact. It's a great 7 0n 7 activity, but I don't really see the benefit of linemen, outside of showing face and being around the coaches.
When Gibbs was here he used the time to teach the rookie OL the ZBS system in a classroom setting and then they went out on the field without pads and Gibbs found out how much they had learned in the classroom had translated to the field. He did this with very little hitting going on. Although they didn't get fined one time for the ol doing too much hitting in OTA's.

Hunter is new also....

Re: Diggs, I'd imagine he probably got more out of the sessions he had with Stroud than he would at these OTAs.

Also remember we already get extra practice sessions and an extra game because of the Hall of Fame game.
For a neck injury during TC, Hunter had cervical (neck) disc surgery for which he missed the entire 2020 season. He came back with limited play for only 7 games before tearing his pec and missing the rest of the 2021 season. In Dec 2022, he began complaining of neck soreness again. He did not participate in 2023 OTAs and skipped mandatory minicamp................this was publicized due to holding out for a new contract. But he got a double benefit of relative rest since he was still experiencing intermittent neck pains. He had a great 2023. He still had intermitten periods of neck pains.

With this history, the Texans are likely to handle Hunter a little softer.

For a neck injury during TC, Hunter had cervical (neck) disc surgery for which he missed the entire 2020 season. He came back with limited play for only 7 games before tearing his pec and missing the rest of the 2021 season. In Dec 2022, he began complaining of neck soreness again. He did not participate in 2023 OTAs and skipped mandatory minicamp................this was publicized due to holding out for a new contract. But he got a double benefit of relative rest since he was still experiencing intermittent neck pains. He had a great 2023. He still had intermitten periods of neck pains.

With this history, the Texans are likely to handle Hunter a little softer.

Diggs has an extensive injury history as well. Last season he was dealing with some things as well, mainly a back injury. He's also 30 years old. This article is just from 4 months ago.

Perhaps they are taking it easy with Diggs as well.

Matter of fact all the guys that missed have dealt with injuries and are on the older side for their position except Tytus who is coming of a fresh major injury.

No joke here, deadly serious: 4.65 is a very mediorce time for a starting NFL corner.
Gotcha, I didn't get the "runs in one place." Lassiter had the best 3-cone drill off all the corners. So I would say that he has the speed to be great in the short/mid routes, but the fear would be that he can get out-run on deep routes.

In Demeco's defense he plays a version of the cover 2, so as long as he has a safety to pass the deep route he should be just fine if he's playing outside.

Ideally we see Okudah or Henderson play up to their draft position, so that they can lock down the outside position. Leaving Lassiter in the nickel.

Last edited:
I see Lassiter as an upgrade at the slot with the ability to play some outside in a pinch. A quality slot CB is as important as a CB2 IMHO.
IMO its easier to hide an outside CB with scheme than it is a nickel. The routes are shorter/quicker in the slot so guys will get open quicker. If you have a weak nickel CB you will be shredded by a good QB. There’s not a lot you can do to keep Cooper Kupp from exploiting an advantageous matchup.

Whereas you can usually give an outside CB help within the scheme to cover their weakness.

All that to say, I really hope Lassiter turns out to be a top end nickel.

Speculation by who, the prospect's agent, his little brother, or his Dad ?
For me all PD 40 times are suspect especially when it's already questionable and maybe
a little controversial for the prospect, and even more so when he avoids the event at the Combine.
40 times are really important and meaningful for two categories-position groups: receivers &
Corner backs.

For me all PD 40 times are suspect especially when it's already questionable and maybe
a little controversial for the prospect, and even more so when he avoids the event at the Combine.
40 times are really important and meaningful for two categories-position groups: receivers &
Corner backs.
Did you miss the part about 4 NFL personnel in attendance?

Corner backs.
So then the 4.65 you leaned into a little while ago is also pretty suspect, ya..?

And I for one am glad nobody told Jerry Rice the utmost importance of 40 times at his position, especially before he started torching dudes on the regular for breakaway touchdowns - and my entertainment - for 20 years..

So then the 4.65 you leaned into a little while ago is also pretty suspect, ya..?

And I for one am glad nobody told Jerry Rice the utmost importance of 40 times at his position, especially before he started torching dudes on the regular for breakaway touchdowns - and my entertainment - for 20 years..
Hey my friend, unfortunately our young Mr. Lassiter will most likely be expected to cover receivers faster, and maybe much faster than Rice.
Now 20 years after Rice played there's many 4.4 receivers and quite a few sub 4.4 WRs
In this league.

Interesting point “win now” doesn’t cripple future. Like Mixon contract, Caserio did right by the player, which is best for both parties long run. Look, think fans are just being fans, some more impatient than others, just can’t wait to see these high profile, elite players on the field, I get it. But I’m also concerned about current crop of elite players, CJ, Tank, Nico and Anderson out there going this hard when resting their bodies for long upcoming season might be needed as well. So I’m cutting any player slack who’s either in or out to make the best personal decision for them.

I’ve heard the NFL is looking at increasing regular season to 18 games then 20 in another couple of years. That’s a lot to digest and concerning to me, imagine how the players feel? Of course, salaries will go up accordingly, but how much can the human body take, gotta be smarter and take care of your health at all costs. So for Tunsil & Howard specifically, get your rest and recover so you can be fresh for training camp then the season.

Hey my friend, unfortunately our young Mr. Lassiter will most likely be expected to cover receivers faster, and maybe much faster than Rice.
Now 20 years after Rice played there's many 4.4 receivers and quite a few sub 4.4 WRs
In this league.
Is that your way of not answering the question?

Apparently the Texans invested a high 2nd round pick into a corner and have no idea how fast he can run. Interesting.

I think the 40 is arguably the most overrated stat in football. Yes, speed kills. So does short area quickness, COD, fluid hips…and the most important of all…the brain. Anticipation, and understanding what your opponent is trying to do on any given play.

I’m not sure I’d put Lassiter on an island out there playing man with no help, especially against speedier opponents but to assume that because over 40 yards he’s 1/10th of a second slower than ideal, somehow he cant get the job done is not something I cant get onboard with.

I think he will make an excellent slot, and a decent outside corner with flexibility to eventually move to safety. I do urge patience. Corner takes 2-3 years to master at this level. When I look at Lassiter…at least prior to actual nfl play…I think of Kareem Jackson. While not a 100% clone, he is the closest comp I can think of at least someone that was a prior Texan.

Interesting point “win now” doesn’t cripple future. Like Mixon contract, Caserio did right by the player, which is best for both parties long run. Look, think fans are just being fans, some more impatient than others, just can’t wait to see these high profile, elite players on the field, I get it. But I’m also concerned about current crop of elite players, CJ, Tank, Nico and Anderson out there going this hard when resting their bodies for long upcoming season might be needed as well. So I’m cutting any player slack who’s either in or out to make the best personal decision for them.

I’ve heard the NFL is looking at increasing regular season to 18 games then 20 in another couple of years. That’s a lot to digest and concerning to me, imagine how the players feel? Of course, salaries will go up accordingly, but how much can the human body take, gotta be smarter and take care of your health at all costs. So for Tunsil & Howard specifically, get your rest and recover so you can be fresh for training camp then the season.
Diggs and Hunter are new, They should be there for the learning part of the game.

As far as the 20 weeks stuff goes, if they outlaw tackling, like they're trying to do then playing 52 weeks a yr shouldn't be an issue. God'ell pushing for 20 weeks while changing the rules which are ruining the game. Player safety? LMAO

Is that your way of not answering the question?
If you are talking about his very unremarkable 4.65 then I can only say that we've got a couple of sub 4.5 WRs on our own team who would embarass Lassiter on a fly pattern or deep post.

Diggs and Hunter are new, They should be there for the learning part of the game.

As far as the 20 weeks stuff goes, if they outlaw tackling, like they're trying to do then playing 52 weeks a yr shouldn't be an issue. God'ell pushing for 20 weeks while changing the rules which are ruining the game. Player safety? LMAO

Gotta agree, especially your conclusion. Player safety while asking players to play on a hunk of concrete? Or asking them to play 3 games in 11 days? Or asking them to travel overseas and play? I will see your LMAO and raise you an LMAO!

Dude they’re in the building learn, and they are in the lab working out. They will be there for the mandatory training camp that will start next month. If voluntary training camp was mandatory, they would change it from being voluntary. If the coaches wanted a full participation, they would’ve instructed them to be on the field.

Like I said, some of yall just have to have something to trip and complain about.

If you are talking about his very unremarkable 4.65 then I can only say that we've got a couple of sub 4.5 WRs on our own team who would embarass Lassiter on a fly pattern or deep post.
I'm talking about the 4.65 and why you've taken it as gospel when you yourself said it's suspect..

Dude they’re in the building learn, and they are in the lab working out. They will be there for the mandatory training camp that will start next month. If voluntary training camp was mandatory, they would change it from being voluntary. If the coaches wanted a full participation, they would’ve instructed them to be on the field.

Like I said, some of yall just have to have something to trip and complain about.
I'm not complaining, in fact I could care less.

I just disagree with you.

New? Diggs has played 9 seasons with like 10,000 yards receiving. Hunter has played 8 seasons with almost 90 sacks. They’re both as experienced and veteran as they come. Let’s wait to get excited if they miss mandatory OTA’s before calling them out.

New? Diggs has played 9 seasons with like 10,000 yards receiving. Hunter has played 8 seasons with almost 90 sacks. They’re both as experienced and veteran as they come. Let’s wait to get excited if they miss mandatory OTA’s before calling them out.
How many games have they played in Ryans system? I'm not asking for them to do anything physical. BTW, maybe they've already gotten their playbooks and are burning the midnight oil studying them. LOL

How many games have they played in Ryans system? I'm not asking for them to do anything physical. BTW, maybe they've already gotten their playbooks and are burning the midnight oil studying them. LOL
What would they learn from being on the field for no contact no pads 7 on 7's?

I'm not complaining, in fact I could care less.

I just disagree with you.
When someone continually repeats the same negative statement. It’s a complaint

Like I said they’re learning their jobs but don’t have to be on the field right now. Why? Because it’s not mandatory nor a requirement at this time.

Back