Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans 2024 OTA’s and Mandatory Mini Camp

Yes. So whatever someone saw Howard do at a softball game is probably irrelevant to football activities, right?
No. What was seen on the baseball field indicates he can participate, maybe limited to some degree, in non-contact drills. He should be on the field.

No. What was seen on the baseball field indicates he can participate, maybe limited to some degree, in non-contact drills. He should be on the field.
WOW, I didn't know we had a member of the Texans Medical Staff onboard! Hehe,
:winky:

For what it’s worth I know a woman in my area that was a former Army nurse, now retired, with a 100% disability due to a knee injury incurred during a base softball game. But hey, she is exempt from paying property taxes in Texas, smh.

WOW, I didn't know we had a member of the Texans Medical Staff onboard! Hehe,
:winky:
I'm intelligent enough to research the internet. At 4 months of rehab someone with this injury should be capable of normal everyday activity. Playing in a softball game would appear to fall in this description. I specifically specified non-contact drills. If Howard is not capable of being on his feet for the duration of a practice and taking part to the extent he can, then with training camp in, what, less than two months, it's not looking good, imo. He should be on the field, listening to the coaches.

I'm intelligent enough to research the internet. At 4 months of rehab someone with this injury should be capable of normal everyday activity.
GG9Iz3UWEAAl2dO

It's only the 2nd day of OTAs, but there are no reports of Diggs participating. Although he is vet, he is now in a new system with a new QB. Reps for chemistry are of major importance for a player like Diggs. His previous actions with the Bills (although many have offered him a defense) does not inspire confidence in his commitment to his trade or this team.

JMHO.........I hope the next few days erases these concerns.

It's only the 2nd day of OTAs, but there are no reports of Diggs participating. Although he is vet, he is now in a new system with a new QB. Reps for chemistry are of major importance for a player like Diggs. His previous actions with the Bills (although many have offered him a defense) does not inspire confidence in his commitment to his trade or this team.

While he may be a no-show to OTAs… he =has= been putting in work.

If you go looking for problems about a player you don't like, you will surely find them...

Timing is not only determined by interaction between a QB and WR...................it requires a defense and other offensive pieces to afford a reasonable basis for assessment.

This is the first of three weeks of OTA's, which are not required.

Mandatory mini-camp, training camp and pre-season are plenty of time to afford a reasonable basis for assessment.

I'm going to trust that the 4-time Pro Bowler with four straight seasons of 100+ catches and an established reputation as a guy who goes the hardest in practice will be able to make up two missed days of 7-on-7 flag football.

Diggs is a pure diva. There were a lot more problems going on in that locker room with him than what the Bills let on, much like AB with the Steelers until they couldn't control him at all anymore. There is a huge reason nobody went after him with more than a pick for next year. Demeco isn't gonna put up with his shizz though.

It could be that the coaches suggested some of those guys not participate.

If you look at the guys who missed they are for the most part established vets who you pretty much know what you're going to get.

Hunter, Tunsil, Mason, Diggs...Tytus probably injury related

I'm sure if they absolutely insisted on being there the coaches wouldn't have turned them away.

You've also got to look at the other end of the spectrum...Their absence allowed more reps for guys who probably need them most.

It could be that the coaches suggested some of those guys not participate.

If you look at the guys who missed they are for the most part established vets who you pretty much know what you're going to get.

Hunter, Tunsil, Mason, Diggs...Tytus probably injury related

I'm sure if they absolutely insisted on being there the coaches wouldn't have turned them away.

You've also got to look at the other end of the spectrum...Their absence allowed more reps for guys who probably need them most.
^^^^^^^
This!

My thing is, why was Diggs so cheap? Yes he's not 25 anymore, but he's still a good-to-great WR at a position that is valued highly around the league in a passing driven league. He didn't even net a 2024 pick for the Bills, or multiple picks next year. I don't understand why any team would sell for that cheap, or not have multiple suitors for his service, unless teams did their homework on the guy.

My thing is, why was Diggs so cheap? Yes he's not 25 anymore, but he's still a good-to-great WR at a position that is valued highly around the league in a passing driven league. He didn't even net a 2024 pick for the Bills, or multiple picks next year. I don't understand why any team would sell for that cheap, or not have multiple suitors for his service, unless teams did their homework on the guy.
Deandre Hopkins says hello. Look into when the Texans traded him away.
But I agree with you. Equivalent to a bag of chips, I have to wonder why.

What is the market value for 30 year old WR's?

Deandre Hopkins says hello. Look into when the Texans traded him away.
But I agree with you. Equivalent to a bag of chips, I have to wonder why.

I mean we got more for Hopkins though, at least we got two picks and a player (David Johnson... at one time he was the next big thing before injuries)

What is the market value for 30 year old WR's?

Yep. There is a ton of data out there on WR's falling off the production cliff after 31 years of age. Diggs turns 31 during the season. While he may be an exception, the market is driven by the norms.

Yep. There is a ton of data out there on WR's falling off the production cliff after 31 years of age. Diggs turns 31 during the season. While he may be an exception, the market is driven by the norms.

I mean I can appreciate the excuses being made for sure

The trade value for WRs was down across the league. Keenan Allen went for a 4th round pick, Jerry Jeudy for a 5th & 6th, etc. This was likely due to a deep WR draft, if you can use your pick on a great rookie WR on a cheap rookie contract that's the way to go.

From the reports I’ve read, he’s very familiar with the system we employ here in Houston. He’ll be ok

Hunter is new also....

Re: Diggs, I'd imagine he probably got more out of the sessions he had with Stroud than he would at these OTAs.

Also remember we already get extra practice sessions and an extra game because of the Hall of Fame game.
He's new, he should be there IMHO.

It’s always the same people complaining about something. Good grief he’s a got darn vet who is very familiar with the offense. The coaches aren’t tripping so why are yall so freaking worried.

It’s not mandatory people.

I'd like to see Diggs there all in all, but to me he's not the leader of the WR core. For my money, that's Nico and Nico is out there working his butt off.

The only guy I'm ragging on a bit is Tunsil...and it's not like I'm over here in panic mode. But if you ask me to pick a guy I want there, it's Tunsil.

He may still be rehabbing, but this is his MO. He skips what he can every year and does as little as possible. As the undisputed leader of the line, I don't like the mojo he gives off. He could be there while rehabbing, taking mental reps, working with the rookies and new guys, building chemistry, providing tips and advice, and basically taking the leadership role.

He's a finesse player with the same mental attitude as his physical attributes. For the jack he's making, for his talent and reputation, I'd like him to give more of himself. But as my Mom used to say, you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

He is what he is. The sooner he is replaced, the better the overall line will be imho. The fish always rots from the head down. We need an absolute junkyard dog at LT to set the tone. Tunsil isn't a pit bull. He's more like an Italian Greyhound.

Amazing the smack I’m reading about Tunsil while forgetting he is one of the top LT’s in the NFL. He is highly rated by all reportings and is a Pro Bowl LT and will be again this year. I’m more concerned about the other OL positions.

He's one of the top pass blockers in the NFL. Nobody disputes that. Run blocking? Not so much. What has he done to impress you in the run game? For me...nada.

He's too much pussycat and not enough lion for my taste. Are you denying he's not a finesse player? Y'all keep talking about the line not being physical and getting after it in the run game...yet you love Tunsil.

I think people fail to remember that unlike all other position groups, the oline acts as one. If the main cog in a gear isn't grinding, that impacts the entire gear as a whole.

If (big if) Green makes his mark at LG, that might help. He's really the only guy with a reputation as being nasty in the run game.

Back