Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
From what I've seen, the Texans take a cap hit of 9MM if they cut Johnson after this season, so I'm not sure what he's referring to in the first part. But even if that wasn't the case, yes, they save $ by paying Johnson instead of Hopkins, but they save even more by not having to pay Johnson's bloated contract. No one put a gun to their head to take on his contract as the original poster mentioned. The only reason I can see to make that trade is if they feel that Johnson is worth the $ for the next 2 years. Not a plan to cut him after a year for cap savings.

his cap hit is 9 mil in 2021....but only 2.1 million of that is guaranteed. Even still, if he plays well and they decide to keep him for 2021, 9 mil is reasonable.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He had 1 great year and in 2018 he was solid. Last season he fell out of grace with the OC. But out of 5 years in the NFL he did handle his business in two of them. I hope he do regain his form from 2016. I just don't think he will.View attachment 5806
if your hope is that he gets back to being all pro, yeah no I don’t see that happening..would be a pleasant surprise if he did, but as I said, I could easily see him getting 1200 or so yards and about 400 yds receiving.. Hell we had Hyde damn near get that this year rushing and if he could catch he could’ve gotten the receiving yards.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Pat Starr's posts have helped to keep some things in perspective. It doesn't eliminate the sting, but it helps. And for the record, I don't think we're finding another Hopkins for a long time.

patrick@PatDStat
Randall Cobb is here to help in the slot and not take over DeAndre Hopkins role. #Texans

(In response to an incredulous post about Stills moving outside to replace Hopkins)
patrick@PatDStat
Well, that’s where Stills is best, on the outside.

(Addressing tweet about Hopkins being irreplaceable)
patrick@PatDStat
Everyone is replaceable. Everyone.

patrick@PatDStat
I heard Andre Johnson was irreplaceable then DeAndre Hopkins showed up but let’s keep acting like this hasn’t happened before here.

(Responding to an accusation that he's defending O'Brien)
patrick@PatDStat
Not at all. It’s the life cycle of the NFL. When you think there is not another one, there is. I hate that Hopkins is gone but as a person that covers the team I am intrigued what they are thinking.

patrick@PatDStat
Look beyond this season with Johnson’s contract. Texans can exit out of Johnson’s contrct after this season if they want to. Hopkins has nearly 33M left on his deal and apparently wants more. Unfortuantley this is a move based on future cap space.

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Pat Starr's posts have helped to keep some things in perspective. It doesn't eliminate the sting, but it helps. And for the record, I don't think we're finding another Hopkins for a long time.

patrick@PatDStat
Randall Cobb is here to help in the slot and not take over DeAndre Hopkins role. #Texans

(In response to an incredulous post about Stills moving outside to replace Hopkins)
patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat
I heard Andre Johnson was irreplaceable then DeAndre Hopkins showed up but let’s keep acting like this hasn’t happened before here.

patrick@PatDStat
Not at all. It’s the life cycle of the NFL. When you think there is not another one, there is. I hate that Hopkins is gone but as a person that covers the team I am intrigued what they are thinking.

patrick@PatDStat
Look beyond this season with Johnson’s contract. Texans can exit out of Johnson’s contrct after this season if they want to. Hopkins has nearly 33M left on his deal and apparently wants more. Unfortuantley this is a move based on future cap space.
Hopkins was my favorite Texan. That said, all of the above is exactly how I feel about the trade. It is the nature of the beast (NFL).

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Hopkins was my favorite Texan. That said, all of the above is exactly how I feel about the trade. It is the nature of the beast (NFL).
The trade itself is not the real issue. I mean, it sucks and didn't need to happen, but trades happen. The real issue is getting raped in the trade. Trades are supposed to be made to help your team, whether that's gaining assets through the draft, getting cap relief, or filling a need on the team. You don't make a trade where you get none of that. You gave away a 3 time All-Pro in his prime, for practically nothing.

All this, well Randall Cobb slot, not a Nuk replacement, Stills outside, blah, blah, blah, is looking at what we're left with and trying to move on, which is all we can do now that it's done, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible deal that didn't make your team better in any way, shape or form.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Definitely not a fan of the trade, and don't think we got the right 'level' of the items you mention but if you look at each one..

Gaining assets - gained pick #40 - not a first so might not be the value you want, but did gain assets
Cap Relief - not in 2020 but the potential for cap relief in 2021 if you cut DJ, none for cutting Hop (I assume?)
Filling a need - RB was a need - DJ might not be able to fill that need but it was a position of need

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Definitely not a fan of the trade, and don't think we got the right 'level' of the items you mention but if you look at each one..

Gaining assets - gained pick #40 - not a first so might not be the value you want, but did gain assets
Cap Relief - not in 2020 but the potential for cap relief in 2021 if you cut DJ, none for cutting Hop (I assume?)
Filling a need - RB was a need - DJ might not be able to fill that need but it was a position of need
Value matters too. Getting a #40 for a 3 time All-Pro does not equate.
You get the same cap relief if you trade Nuk next year. Nuk's cap vs Johnson's cap does not equate.
IMO, there's still a need at RB when you have 2 RB2 on your team. Plus now you've created a need at WR on top of that.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
The trade itself is not the real issue. I mean, it sucks and didn't need to happen, but trades happen. The real issue is getting raped in the trade. Trades are supposed to be made to help your team, whether that's gaining assets through the draft, getting cap relief, or filling a need on the team. You don't make a trade where you get none of that. You gave away a 3 time All-Pro in his prime, for practically nothing.

All this, well Randall Cobb slot, not a Nuk replacement, Stills outside, blah, blah, blah, is looking at what we're left with and trying to move on, which is all we can do now that it's done, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible deal that didn't make your team better in any way, shape or form.
Like Brisco said, it doesn't eliminate the sting of the trade, but it does help to understand a direction. No, we did not get fair value for Hopkins, but the deal is done. It is what we do moving forward that I am concentrating on.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Value matters too. Getting a #40 for a 3 time All-Pro does not equate.
You get the same cap relief if you trade Nuk next year. Nuk's cap vs Johnson's cap does not equate.
IMO, there's still a need at RB when you have 2 RB2 on your team. Plus now you've created a need at WR on top of that.
Yeah - as I said, it may not have been filled or gone about in a way you or I agree with, but it does touch on each of those points.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yeah - as I said, it may not have been filled or gone about in a way you or I agree with, but it does touch on each of those points.
You need a backup RB so you trade for Duke. Just because the need was filled doesn't mean you overpay for it. Like I said, the value matters too. Giving away that high of a pick to fill that particular need leaves you with a void there now. You're filling 1 hole by digging another.

Texansballer74

The Marine

patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat

patrick@PatDStat

Yes everyone is replaceable, but that wasn’t the issue. Not getting equal to better in return was the issue.

Andre wasn’t in his prime when we got rid of him. And we actually had his replacement for a few years. Nuk showed us he could be a number 1 receiver. Big ash difference all around.

Pat imo is doing his job. And that’s to butter this team up at any means necessary.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From what I've seen, the Texans take a cap hit of 9MM if they cut Johnson after this season,
From the link you provided it says $9M cap hit if he plays. To cut him it would be $5.1M which doesn't make sense. That $5.1 looks like the guaranteed portion of his 2020 salary which will be paid in 2020.

I don't understand how there will be any dead money if we cut him. The guaranteed part of his contract should be paid off this season. There's another guaranteed portion if he's on the roster next March, but that's not fully guaranteed & only $2M or so.

Dead money is money already paid to the player that hasn't been accounted for. Everything we're paying David Johnson is being accounted for in our 2020 cap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

You're what you're worth in Trade.

BTW, I dont have an issue taking a flier on DJ, if you hit on him you win the trade if you also hit on 40. If you dont hit on him you cut him and have more cap room in 2021.

I think since DJ's playing for his NFL future there's a good chance that you will get the best out of DJ this yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You need a backup RB so you trade for Duke. Just because the need was filled doesn't mean you overpay for it. Like I said, the value matters too. Giving away that high of a pick to fill that particular need leaves you with a void there now. You're filling 1 hole by digging another.
Tell me what you consider high draft picks?

I consider 1st/2nd rd picks to be high picks. If it was me every yr I would draft in rds 1-2 and if there was somebody I really liked after I picked in Rd 2 I would use rds 3-4 picks to trade back into rd 2. then draft for depth and ST's in rds 5-7.

This way I would be adding 3 starters every yr. Instead of hoping I could get lucky and find starter level guys in rds 3-4. I'm just increasing the odds of getting a differencemaker instead of most likely avg at best players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes everyone is replaceable, but that wasn’t the issue. Not getting equal to better in return was the issue.

Andre wasn’t in his prime when we got rid of him. And we actually had his replacement for a few years. Nuk showed us he could be a number 1 receiver. Big ash difference all around.

Pat imo is doing his job. And that’s to butter this team up at any means necessary.
You'r worth what you're worth in trade and the Texans basically dumped Nuk's salary demands. 40/DJ while not a great haul isn't that bad if DJ regains form and they hit on 40.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You'r worth what you're worth in trade and the Texans basically dumped Nuk's salary demands. 40/DJ while not a great haul isn't that bad if DJ regains form and they hit on 40.
Hitting on #40, whether using that pick to trade up or not will be huge

badboy

Hall of Fame
Hitting on 40s used to have a different thought not long ago. Another scenario is that we have a running back that pulls an Arian Foster in his first 16 Game season and in addition David J also has a very good couple of months. We trade David Johnson and we paid the cap hit only for the games he played for us and the other team picks up the rest.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
patrick@PatDStat
That's all you can be. Because no one has owned this trade or explained their rationale. There have been explanations through the press via unnamed "Texans sources." Until they say, "Hopkins is not a $20 million receiver" or "Hopkins was not a good teammate" or whatever BS that emits from Kirby whenever they get around to it, all we have is "intrigue." I won't believe a word that O'Brien says, so really who cares?
BTW, I dont have an issue taking a flier on DJ...
Spending $12 million for 1 season of a has been RB is not a "flyer." Waiting until the Cards released Johnson, signing him for a 3rd of the $$$ he's getting, could be construed as a flyer. The Hopkins deal would have looked better as a straight pick for player deal. Hop for #40. Entangling this crap contract made it much worse.

And that symbolizes what O'Brien has done this offseason. Made this team and this franchise much worse.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's all you can be. Because no one has owned this trade or explained their rationale. There have been explanations through the press via unnamed "Texans sources." Until they say, "Hopkins is not a $20 million receiver" or "Hopkins was not a good teammate" or whatever BS that emits from Kirby whenever they get around to it, all we have is "intrigue." I won't believe a word that O'Brien says, so really who cares?

Spending $12 million for 1 season of a has been RB is not a "flyer." Waiting until the Cards released Johnson, signing him for a 3rd of the $$$ he's getting, could be construed as a flyer. The Hopkins deal would have looked better as a straight pick for player deal. Hop for #40. Entangling this crap contract made it much worse.

And that symbolizes what O'Brien has done this offseason. Made this team and this franchise much worse.
1. We're on the same page.

2. We look at things differently, I am pissed that BOB traded places in the 2020 draft and the 2021 draft plus took on DJ's contract. That's bad mgmt.

If they had kept that pick and gotten the 2021 4th I would have understood the trade, given Nuk wanted to reup with 3 yrs on his deal.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Doubtful, this was about Nuk wanting more money. Gotta feed those Babies momma's.
I think it had more to do the Texans and OB's failure to elevate the team in the playoffs. Hopkins may have come to the conclusion, if I ever want to win a Super Bowl during my NFL career I've got to get out of Houston as long as OB is in the drivers seat.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think it had more to do the Texans and OB's failure to elevate the team in the playoffs. Hopkins may have come to the conclusion, if I ever want to win a Super Bowl during my NFL career I've got to get out of Houston as long as OB is in the drivers seat.
Tell me in the Texans playoff losses has the more talented team won?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Tell me in the Texans playoff losses has the more talented team won?
I think the Texans record(s) over the past 6 seasons have been a complete and utter facade. The way the Texans were blown out in their playoff appearances, they had no reason to be there from the beginning. How many times have I mentioned that the Texans have done nothing more than play themselves out of a solid draft position? Probably more than I have wanted to. They've hoisted division championships in a piss-poor division which gave illusion to high hopes. Just good enough to screw themselves out of solid draft position and piss-poor enough to be a laughing stock in the playoffs.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think the Texans record(s) over the past 6 seasons have been a complete and utter facade. The way the Texans were blown out in their playoff appearances, they had no reason to be there from the beginning. How many times have I mentioned that the Texans have done nothing more than play themselves out of a solid draft position? Probably more than I have wanted to.
and piss-poor enough to be a laughing stock in the playoffs.
Exactly and top dawg points for using his words in a different manner to describe what’s going on. He basically said the same thing in regards to Watson and his supposedly fans.

which gave illusion to high hopes.

zshawn10

All Pro
Free agency in the NFL is in the rearview mirror for the most part. The NFL Draft is still more than three weeks away. What exactly is there to talk about in the world of sports in general and the NFL in particular?

May I suggest Bill O’Brien?

I think a compelling case can be made that the trade the Texans’ general manager/head coach recently made, sending DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals, is the worst in NFL history. All the television debate shows and sports talk radio shows can feel free to chew on that one for a day or two.

But wait, there’s more.

If you look at the personnel decisions he has made since Brian Gaine was surprisingly fired in June after just 17 months, I believe a strong argument can be made that he is also the worst GM of all time, albeit with a relatively small sample size. That could be a healthy discussion on my podcast or Radio.com show for a few days as well.

I’m not saying he is the worst GM ever or that the Hopkins trade was the worst one on record. I’m just saying that both are absolutely in the discussion. It is not hyperbole or a “hot take,” as so many people want to have in our culture these days. Let’s just examine the facts.

We’ll start on the micro level with the Hopkins trade because it’s a doozy. Hopkins has missed exactly two games in seven seasons. He’s a 27-year-old coming off his third straight All-Pro and Pro Bowl season. He’s also under contract for the next three seasons at $13.3 million per year, which is a steal compared to the $22 million per year Julio Jones is receiving or the deal for $20 million per season Amari Cooper just signed. Hopkins reportedly wants a new contact, and that clearly factored into the Texans’ decision, but managing those situations is part of the business of having a star player like Hopkins. He is without question a top-five wide receiver and some would argue he’s the best.

The Texans traded him to the Cardinals for running back David Johnson and a second-round pick, and the teams swapped fourth-round picks as well. The fourth-round pick the Cardinals received is for this year while the one they shipped to Houston is for 2021, so Arizona getting the more valuable fourth-round pick of the two is just the icing on the cake.

Whether it is the worst trade of all time really depends on how one feels about Johnson and his contract. The 28-year-old running back is coming off back-to-back seasons in which he averaged 3.7 yards per carry or worse, and most people saw concerning signs in his game, especially late in the season, that indicated his days as a quality running back are well behind him. The consensus among people I spoke to around the league is that nobody would have taken on Johnson’s contract, which has $10.2 million guaranteed for 2020 with another $2.1 million guaranteed in 2021. That means the Cardinals couldn’t have even given him away. If they wanted to get out from the burden of that contract, they would have to give up a draft pick, like the Texans did when they shipped Brock Osweiler, his $16 million guaranteed salary and a second-round pick to Cleveland in 2017. That’s how Michael Ginnitti, who owns and operates the popular contract website Spotrac, looked at the trade.

“To me, the second-round pick that Houston got from Arizona is canceled out by taking on the Johnson contract,” Ginnitti told me last week on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast.

Which would mean that Hopkins was traded for … nothing.

Even if you think Ginnitti is exaggerating the albatross of taking on Johnson, there is no question he reduces the value of the pick the Texans received. So, did they trade arguably the best wide receiver with three palatable years on his contract for a fourth-round pick? No matter how you choose to value it, we are talking about a pittance compared to the first-, fourth-, fifth- and sixth-round picks the Minnesota Vikings picked up when they traded wide receiver Stefon Diggs and a seventh-round pick to the Buffalo Bills a few days after the Hopkins trade.

A simple search bringing up the worst trades of all time will include the Saints sending every pick in the draft in 1999, as well as first- and third-round picks in 2000, to the Redskins for Ricky Williams, or the Vikings’ infamous trade for the Cowboys’ Herschel Walker, but in those instances, the team known for making the terrible trade at least got a good player in return. The Texans, according to Ginnitti and others, essentially gave up Hopkins for nothing.

Unfortunately — or fortunately, depending on your perspective — this is nothing new for O’Brien in Houston.
In August, he gave a third-round pick to Cleveland for pass-catching running back Duke Johnson. In an era in which smart teams continue to devalue running backs, giving up a third-round pick in order to pay $4 million per year to a guy who had 410 rushing yards and 410 receiving yards is absurd. That his skill set is redundant given what David Johnson might still be able to do just makes it comical.

Then, in September, O’Brien traded his first-round picks over the next two years, a second-round pick in 2021 and a couple of players (Johnson Bademosi and Julien Davenport) to the Dolphins for left tackle Laremy Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a fourth-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2021. Again, he showed his lack of contract acumen by failing to get a long-term deal done with Tunsil at the time of the trade as the left tackle now has incredible leverage and will become the highest-paid offensive lineman ever when he signs his next contract. Plus, Stills’ contract was one the Dolphins were looking to shed and O’Brien gladly took that one.

At least the trades for Tunsil and Duke Johnson were an indication the Texans were all-in on the 2019 season and looking to seize the rare opportunity of having a franchise quarterback on his rookie contract, right?
Wrong. Shortly after trading Tunsil, O’Brien sent defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, who had been given the franchise tag, to the Seattle Seahawks for a third-round pick and a couple of role players in Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo. It was only made more curious when the Texans decided to pay $7 million of Clowney’s $15 million salary. It would be hard to make that up, but it’s true.

Even the third-round pick they sent to the Raiders for Gareon Conley in October seems rich. He’s an inconsistent cornerback and the Texans may not even exercise his fifth-year contract option, meaning they could have him for only one more year.
Then you have, of course, the Hopkins trade, but we’ve already been there and done that.
Again, any discussion of the worst general managers in NFL history will bring up names like Matt Millen and Mike Brown, but I would encourage you to compare their track records with the epic nine months O’Brien has had and give him strong consideration.

After all, he’s earned it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think the Texans record(s) over the past 6 seasons have been a complete and utter facade. The way the Texans were blown out in their playoff appearances, they had no reason to be there from the beginning. How many times have I mentioned that the Texans have done nothing more than play themselves out of a solid draft position? Probably more than I have wanted to. They've hoisted division championships in a piss-poor division which gave illusion to high hopes. Just good enough to screw themselves out of solid draft position and piss-poor enough to be a laughing stock in the playoffs.
And the cycle continues

banned1976

sleeper mode
Yeah, I have to say GM O’Brien is off to an, uh, interesting start. It’s going to at least be entertaining to see how he explains his decision making over these last 9 months. See how his grand scheme of turning the Texans into a legitimate contender unfolds.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
......and were those the seasons the Texans won the Division? Asking for a friend.
The Texans winning or not winning the division has nothing to do with your claims that the AFCS is a "piss poor" division, or am I missing something? The fact that the AFCS was represented in the AFCCG three of the last four years only proves that your claim is not based in fact, but on your own opinion.

disaacks3

Staff member
The Texans winning or not winning the division has nothing to do with your claims that the AFCS is a "piss poor" division, or am I missing something? The fact that the AFCS was represented in the AFCCG three of the last four years only proves that your claim is not based in fact, but on your own opinion.
3 of last 4? How about 3 of last 6.

...then a drought back to Manning days.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Pat D Stats tweets sound like those coming from an abusive relationship and someone not wanting to sacrifice their 'access' by poking the bear too much. never mentions the long list of events leading to the removal of Hopkins, continually bowing before the altar letting the emperor do what he wishes because in the end it is only through his will that we may breathe.

nauseating.

Im here to bash OBrien. I'll make sure that every single detail of his flaws, inadequacies and overall negligent incompetence is magnified, recycled, regurgitated and never forgotten that THIS MAN is the one responsible for everything negative that has happened to this franchise over the last 6 years.

some of you guys can keep nursing from the teet hoping the mean man doesnt hit you again. Logo Lovers - HA!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pat D Stats tweets sound like those coming from an abusive relationship and someone not wanting to sacrifice their 'access' by poking the bear too much. never mentions the long list of events leading to the removal of Hopkins, continually bowing before the altar letting the emperor do what he wishes because in the end it is only through his will that we may breathe.

nauseating.

Im here to bash OBrien. I'll make sure that every single detail of his flaws, inadequacies and overall negligent incompetence is magnified, recycled, regurgitated and never forgotten that THIS MAN is the one responsible for everything negative that has happened to this franchise over the last 6 years.

some of you guys can keep nursing from the teet hoping the mean man doesnt hit you again. Logo Lovers - HA!
Who was the Owner/GM for his 1st 4 yrs here?

Why did the previous regime fail under the same GM.

Look I get that you dont like Nuk/Clowney getting traded. But it looks like he got the Clowney trade right. Clowney got injured, didn't have a good statistical yr and isn't going to get paid what he thought he would. I'm willing to withhold judgement until after I see how DJ/pick 40 play before I pass judgement.

The culture of this team is going to change and I know some are struggling to come to grips with this. I personally cant wait to see how this all turns out in a couple of yrs. Because that's atleast how long BOB's going to be here.

I'm really going to enjoy your posts in particular.

Yeah, I have to say GM O’Brien is off to an, uh, interesting start. It’s going to at least be entertaining to see how he explains his decision making over these last 9 months. See how his grand scheme of turning the Texans into a legitimate contender unfolds.
You're going to be extremely disappointed to find anything of value or even entertaining regarding any explanation. At this point it's just sickening.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

nauseating.

On one of his podcasts, Pat briefly mentioned O'Brien not talking to the local media, but giving the national media information like the Hopkins' trade and his request for a new contract. I guess Pat's new approach is to not bite the hand that provides access.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
On one of his podcasts, Pat briefly mentioned O'Brien not talking to the local media, but giving the national media information like the Hopkins' trade and his request for a new contract. I guess Pat's new approach is to not bite the hand that provides access.
of course it is, as it is with most of the spineless Houston sports media apart from a few - Seth Payne, ND Kalu, Uncle Greg, The A Team, Charlie Palillo, Sean Salisbury are the few that have dared to rattle the cage. Pats claim to fame comes from a blog and a minor social media presence, he doesnt hold any real influence so he has to jump when they tell him to jump. Dog meet Pony.

disaacks3

Staff member
of course it is, as it is with most of the spineless Houston sports media apart from a few - Seth Payne, ND Kalu, Uncle Greg, The A Team, Charlie Palillo, Sean Salisbury are the few that have dared to rattle the cage. Pats claim to fame comes from a blog and a minor social media presence, he doesnt hold any real influence so he has to jump when they tell him to jump. Dog meet Pony.
I argued with him on Twitter over the Duane Brown departure. (He had no clue why watching other LTs get injured in Training Camp would make a difference to DB...when he wanted guaranteed money for that very reason)

He's hit-and-miss like the rest of them.