Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

From the link you provided it says $9M cap hit if he plays. To cut him it would be $5.1M which doesn't make sense. That $5.1 looks like the guaranteed portion of his 2020 salary which will be paid in 2020.

I don't understand how there will be any dead money if we cut him. The guaranteed part of his contract should be paid off this season. There's another guaranteed portion if he's on the roster next March, but that's not fully guaranteed & only $2M or so.

Dead money is money already paid to the player that hasn't been accounted for. Everything we're paying David Johnson is being accounted for in our 2020 cap.
Interesting that OTC has different #'s: https://overthecap.com/player/david-johnson/3934/. They put the dead $ at 2.1MM. I'm guessing that this is probably right as it doesn't look like spotrac spread the cap hit for the 12MM signing bonus over the life of the contract (only the first 2 years). Either way, there's at least a 2.1MM cap hit if we cut him at the end of this season. My point still stands that the tweet to look at future cap space as a reason for the trade makes no sense. The only reason to trade for him is if you want the player and think he's worth the $.

The only reason to trade for him is if you want the player and think he's worth the $.

Yes. I absolutely agree with this point.
They put the dead $ at 2.1MM. I'm guessing that this is probably right as it doesn't look like spotrac spread the cap hit for the 12MM signing bonus over the life of the contract (only the first 2 years).

The $2.1M is the guaranteed part of his salary. He gets that no matter what, so it will go against the cap.

Hmmm it looks like they did... that would explain the extra $3M. Thank you for pointing that out.

But that $3M, as well as the $3M for this year should show up as dead money on Arizona’s cap. They paid it.

But that $3M, as well as the $3M for this year should show up as dead money on Arizona’s cap. They paid it.

The new, and increasingly common, contract structures employed by NFL teams allow for dead money to be assigned to any team, whereas traditional contract structures rendered dead money “stuck” with the team which had originally signed the player. As a result, much dead money is now “tradable,” allowing for NBA-style transactions in which one team provides compensation to another team in return for taking on cap-clogging contracts.

We may have inherited his dead $ from the prorated signing bonus. It's the only thing that makes sense for why spotrac and OTC show him w/ dead $ after this year. That's my guess anyways.

OTC was unfamiliar with BOB at the time of posting: "allowing for NBA-style transactions in which one team provides compensation to another team in return for taking on cap-clogging contracts". Needs amending to: "allowing for NBA style transactions in which the team taking on the cap-clogging contract gives up one of their best players for it if you're Bill O'Brien".

Last edited:
It's been two weeks... my mind & temper have settled... I've reasonably thought about this trade and heard multiple sides on this deal. With that being said, it still doesn't make sense!? What's making matters worse, is BOB is hiding and has yet to give a statement. It's as if he knew this was a bad deal and is now hiding to avoid scrutiny.

Houston Texans

Teams were not shocked the Texans traded Hopkins. Several execs said Houston had gauged teams’ interest in the receiver even last season. What shocked teams was what Houston got in return for Hopkins and a fourth-round pick: Cardinals running back David Johnson and Johnson’s guaranteed $10.2 million salary, plus a second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-rounder. Many execs said unkind things about this trade and the job Texans coach Bill O’Brien is doing as GM. We’ll get to some of their criticisms, but first, in the interests of fairness, does anyone sort of see what the Texans were thinking here?

“They have been shopping the guy (Hopkins) for a year-and-a-half, so let’s not pretend they do not know what the market is,” an exec said of Houston. “They clearly knew the market. Other teams were scared of the market, and I think with players like Hopkins who have actually held out, there is fear of what the contract looks like. Do I think they should have taken on David Johnson? No, they did not do a great deal, but they were at a point where they just wanted to move on, and that is the danger of having the head coach being the GM.”

Hopkins has three years remaining on his contract. Another exec suggested the Texans feared setting a bad precedent by reworking that deal, were already budgeting for Deshaun Watson’s second contract, planned to target receivers in the draft and had some lingering concerns stemming from Hopkins’ availability for practice, which at its worst included the receiver playing in games without participating in warmups.

“I’m in the minority here,” a former head coach said, “but I can understand what Houston is doing. The coach did not like Hopkins and then he is all over the place as a player. I don’t know how well he runs anymore. It’s hard to evaluate when that is the guy the quarterback is going to throw to all the time, and he is a scrambling quarterback who is buying time. It’ll be the same thing in Arizona. You can argue what they got for him, but if you believe in the back like they obviously do, you feel like you got a No. 1 pick (Johnson) and you got a No. 2 pick. O’Brien is looking at it that way.”

Others are not looking at it that way.

Evaluators agreed that Hopkins has declined, with one comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald several years ago, when Fitzgerald’s numbers were still robust, but his physical attributes had eroded some.

“Still, I could not pull any punches,” this evaluator said. “There was just no way to spin it. People were texting their buddies from the Cardinals. Look, I’m not as anti-running back as the analytics guys are, but even having said that, it is mind-blowing, especially when you see what Minnesota got in the (Stefon) Diggs trade.”

Johnson should be a much better fit for the Texans’ offense than he was in the offense Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury reconfigured last season, well after Arizona had struck a long-term deal with Johnson. Still, there are other productive backs, including Carlos Hyde, although Johnson offers much more as a receiver.

“I really like Hopkins, I wouldn’t give him up and I can find a running back comparable to David Johnson,” a former GM said. “Hopkins is already making $14 million. You pay him $19 million. Big deal. You get a couple more years. I don’t trust those decision makers in Houston. They scare me. There is too much of a coach mindset. What do I need today?”

Another exec thought the situation in Houston was regrettable enough for Watson to resist entering into contract talks until ownership commits to a more conventional structure, or at least commits to employing a prominent personnel evaluator to balance out O’Brien.

“There is a team-building philosophy to trade your best player to replenish your roster,” another exec said. “If they had gotten more for Hopkins, this would all make sense. They are going to be able to replace Hopkins with that second-round pick based off the volume of receivers in the draft, but good God, you could have gotten better value. And it doesn’t stop there.”

This exec called into question the $18 million guaranteed that Houston allocated for Randall Cobb, the $12 million annual average for Bradley Roby and the $7 million average for Eric Murray. But nearly all the focus was on the Hopkins trade.

“It seemed like it was, ‘I want to get rid of the guy (Hopkins) because I don’t want the guy,’ instead of, ‘I want to get rid of the guy to get better,’ ” an evaluator said.

It's been two weeks... my mind & temper have settled... I've reasonably thought about this trade and heard multiple sides on this deal. With that being said, it still doesn't make sense!? What's making matters worse, is BOB is hiding and has yet to give a statement. It's as if he knew this was a bad deal and is now hiding to avoid scrutiny.

Ya think? As far as BOB is considered you, me, this message board and the entire fan base might as well be the fan in the seats near the tunnel at halftime of the Denver game.

BOB could give two shiits about telling us why. Its obvious he and the rest of ownership feel they owe us NOTHING in regards to what they do. When he finally does speak on the trade he'll just explain it away. Nothing to see here Brian.....

Besides, I'm sure he's busy wheeling and dealing sopping up the last few FAs out there and fine tuning his master drafting skills.

I personally don't think we'll see a season this year but thats another topic somewhere else

We may have inherited his dead $ from the prorated signing bonus. It's the only thing that makes sense for why spotrac and OTC show him w/ dead $ after this year. That's my guess anyways.

OTC makes sense. They're showing $2.1M which became guaranteed on March 15th. That hasn't been paid yet & will be paid by the Texans.

1. We're on the same page.

2. We look at things differently, I am pissed that BOB traded places in the 2020 draft and the 2021 draft plus took on DJ's contract. That's bad mgmt.

If they had kept that pick and gotten the 2021 4th I would have understood the trade, given Nuk wanted to reup with 3 yrs on his deal.
I too would have preferred 2.40 their round 4 and keeping our round 4 with no David Johnson at least with his contract.

If and only if Johnson is 100% can this be a ok situation. Johnson at 100% is a beast and can also catch and even return kicks. The guy is a stud when 100%. But, if he isn't... unless Hopkins said flat out he wanted to leave, a bad deal. The reason I am saying that is I don't trust a player who wants to leave. They tend to just go through the motions and stuff like that. Not really a good for the team. I know the loss to KC seems to be a huge issue to the whole FO not just OB.

If and only if Johnson is 100% can this be a ok situation. Johnson at 100% is a beast and can also catch and even return kicks. The guy is a stud when 100%. But, if he isn't... unless Hopkins said flat out he wanted to leave, a bad deal. The reason I am saying that is I don't trust a player who wants to leave. They tend to just go through the motions and stuff like that. Not really a good for the team. I know the loss to KC seems to be a huge issue to the whole FO not just OB.

Hopkins has never been a go through the motions guy, he's always left it all on the field. And if these players are wanting to leave and free agents don't want to sign here, that speaks volumes to me. Johnson at 100% plus a second round pick is nowhere near worth a DeAndre Hopkins.

Every time I think Obrien couldn't possibly get any dumber, he pulls a rabbit out of his hat like this. I didn't think Obrien was this dumb. I am wrong.
My question is is it OB or Cal? That KC loss made some deep impressions. Like had we had a better RB could we have controlled the clock after the lead was big. And kept KC on D? If Cal thinks like that, he could have told OB to make moves or end up gone

It's been two weeks. I'm still pissed. I'm still not watching this team. BOB didn't want to pay Hopkins but will offer Jernigan $4 million for a year? Randall Cobb three years $27 million and $18.75 million guaranteed? Eric Murray three years $20.5 million? But BOB didn't want to pay Hopkins? Stupidity. A twelve year old playing Madden could make better signings and trades. F BOB

Hopkins has never been a go through the motions guy, he's always left it all on the field. And if these players are wanting to leave and free agents don't want to sign here, that speaks volumes to me. Johnson at 100% plus a second round pick is nowhere near worth a DeAndre Hopkins.

Going thru the motions includes not practicing or helping set a good example/teaching younger WR's how to run routes, timing etc... You know knida like how AJ helped Nuk learn.

If DJ plays like the all pro he was (Doubtful) and they hit on 40 then the Texans win the deal. In this deal it appears BOB wanted DJ.

It's been two weeks. I'm still pissed. I'm still not watching this team. BOB didn't want to pay Hopkins but will offer Jernigan $4 million for a year? Randall Cobb three years $27 million and $18.75 million guaranteed? Eric Murray three years $20.5 million? But BOB didn't want to pay Hopkins? Stupidity. A twelve year old playing Madden could make better signings and trades. F BOB

Maybe there was a reason why the trade happened. Maybe Cal didn't like Nuk's lifestyle (Like his daddy did DB) and didn't want to pay Nuk.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the draft and seeing what upgrades can be made at other positions other than WR. So far from what I've read Jernigan is a good start.

Maybe there was a reason why the trade happened. Maybe Cal didn't like Nuk's lifestyle (Like his daddy did DB) and didn't want to pay Nuk.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the draft and seeing what upgrades can be made at other positions other than WR. So far from what I've read Jernigan is a good start.

Jernigan is coming off of a broken foot and major back surgery. Not getting my hopes up.

Except he's not a beast. He was so slow last season he got replaced by not one, but 2 RBs. There's also him not being able to pick up the offense very well, had to have Carson Palmer literally tell him where to be and what to do on every play, now he's coming to this complicated OB offense that is said to take 3 years to get down.

My question is is it OB or Cal? That KC loss made some deep impressions. Like had we had a better RB could we have controlled the clock after the lead was big. And kept KC on D? If Cal thinks like that, he could have told OB to make moves or end up gone

The offensive line wasn't blocking good at all. The last 5 games of the season the running game dropped off tremendously. They have to create some type of room for even the elite backs to run through.

Going thru the motions includes not practicing or helping set a good example/teaching younger WR's how to run routes, timing etc... You know knida like how AJ helped Nuk learn.

If DJ plays like the all pro he was (Doubtful) and they hit on 40 then the Texans win the deal. In this deal it appears BOB wanted DJ.

He wasn't practicing much because he was on the injured reserve list. The youngster still played his heart out on the field. So let's stop with this silly notion that he refused to practice. You didn't hear none of that crap during the season or throughout his career here.

He wasn't practicing much because he was on the injured reserve list. The youngster still played his heart out on the field. So let's stop with this silly notion that he refused to practice. You didn't hear none of that crap during the season or throughout his career here.

Lol it’s senile twilight zone hour! It’s like when Boomy said Hernandez had multiple children from multiple mothers and not knowing a damn thing about the topic. Just hot air!

How someone can assume Nuk was a bad locker room guy because he didn’t practice shows how few locker rooms he’s been around. Neesflash! Star players and veterans don’t practice as much as the other guys. Also, the sky is blue!

All I know was #10 was one of the few guys who was ready every Sunday for this team. Something that can’t be said for like 90% of the other players.

But they’ll practice hard! Lol

Lol it’s senile twilight zone hour! It’s like when Boomy said Hernandez had multiple children from multiple mothers and not knowing a damn thing about the topic. Just hot air!

How someone can assume Nuk was a bad locker room guy because he didn’t practice shows how few locker rooms he’s been around. Neesflash! Star players and veterans don’t practice as much as the other guys. Also, the sky is blue!

All I know was #10 was one of the few guys who was ready every Sunday for this team. Something that can’t be said for like 90% of the other players.

But they’ll practice hard! Lol

Anything to justify that dumb ash trade.

Who is he?

Bottom line is both Clowney/Nuk rarely practiced.

Feel free to disagree with me, but this in addition to $$$$ is why they're gone.

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. Like the Brown trade, this may have come from Cal. Or the Cal/Easterly/O'Brien braintrust trying to create a "culture."

Isn't this the problem you've had with the Texans for years? Rejecting more talented players for perceived character flaws? Isn't this just another example? I don't understand why you, specifically, aren't at the forefront of bashing this deal?

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. Like the Brown trade, this may have come from Cal. Or the Cal/Easterly/O'Brien braintrust trying to create a "culture."

Isn't this the problem you've had with the Texans for years? Rejecting more talented players for perceived character flaws? Isn't this just another example? I don't understand why you, specifically, aren't at the forefront of bashing this deal?

Exactly my point as well. If this was RS making these type of outlandish moves, dude would be crucifying every single day.

Why should he want to face people's condemnation? I was against trade but no matter what he says, "you suck" will be fans response. No one wants to hear that even if true. Bill O'Brien has never liked explaining himself even at Penn State. We could have gotten more or paid more or said or not said whatever. As in dealing with any leader, "I could have done it better." Sounds good but will never know. I have a long term friend who always could have got better deal than me but he didn't on two examples. I bought a Lincoln and then he did and spent more for less options. Same with 1 BADBOY my new (2006) 1,000 HP boat. I tried to put up with him but when he started his spiel I said "Well why didn't you?" He had talked to the builder few weeks before on my boat.

He got a stupid look then smiled and said "I guess I didn't."

I said they got screwed on the deal. I didn't like the deal. I would've liked the deal better if they hadn't included this yrs 1st. I do want to see how 40/DJ work out before I pass judgement.

Part of the reason I'm not too upset is because I think Nuk is about to start breaking down and paying him for another 5 yrs would've been stupid. IMHO

Time will tell, I like signing talented but troubled guys to small contracts. Not 5 yrs multi million $$$$ contracts.

With this said, I would've kept Nuk and made him play under his current contract if that was the best trade I could get for him.

True, because he has been a professional and not a slacker. There is a show on Amazon and the Cards are one team you can watch. I don't remember the exact name, but it will open your eyes to how good he is if 100%. I am not saying better than Hop...2 different positions you can't compare it.

I've seen this same info too, and given the near-identical wording from all sources, it appears to be single-sourced information. Is it true? Who the he** knows.

Here's the thing though, even IF the story is true - Hopkins was here a year prior to O'Brien. He's never been the head case Antonio Brown is. Even these near-identical reports all say the same thing. Nuk BROUGHT IT on gameday. Now, if he wasn't bringing it the rest of the week? That's where actual coaching comes in. That's what we pay O'Brien (the coach) for. His job is handling the egos of multimillionaires and making the machine run smoothly, even if he has to hammer parts back into place daily. If he can't handle it, he's in the wrong line of work.

Hell, I have no doubts that Nuk objected to the way he was used last year. What true #1 WR wouldn't? Is it "possible" that this trade could work out? Sure. Is there a chance that we replace Nuk's skill-set in this draft? Sure. Are either of these scenarios really likely though?

Much has been made of the Steelers keeping their extremely talented WR and RB in check, until it just wasn't possible anymore. The second they dropped Bell and Brown? They were another middle of the road team.
In the Texans' case, we're dropping a guy who never had the public diva streak AND had three years left on his contract, giving him zero leverage. Much like the Clowney situation, even if there was a contract dispute on the horizon (certain for Clowney, potential for Hopkins), why not force the player's hand? Rick Smith, for all his faults, understood this part of the equation. O'Brien overruled on Clowney and took the GM reins himself for this one. In neither case did he let it play out. Clowney needed that year of service and would have been back for any late-season push. Hopkins could afford to stay out, but would he? Would he really leave a QB he had a great rapport with? Would he miss a chance to shine in the playoffs and raise his contract demands higher in the process? Why are the Texans so damn scared to find out? Instead, we trade for a half-eaten sandwich and stale chips. O'Brien is officially a 'mark' for the other NFL GMs. It's not a good place to be.

I've seen this same info too, and given the near-identical wording from all sources, it appears to be single-sourced information. Is it true? Who the he** knows.

Here's the thing though, even IF the story is true - Hopkins was here a year prior to O'Brien. He's never been the head case Antonio Brown is. Even these near-identical reports all say the same thing. Nuk BROUGHT IT on gameday. Now, if he wasn't bringing it the rest of the week? That's where actual coaching comes in. That's what we pay O'Brien (the coach) for. His job is handling the egos of multimillionaires and making the machine run smoothly, even if he has to hammer parts back into place daily. If he can't handle it, he's in the wrong line of work.

Hell, I have no doubts that Nuk objected to the way he was used last year. What true #1 WR wouldn't? Is it "possible" that this trade could work out? Sure. Is there a chance that we replace Nuk's skill-set in this draft? Sure. Are either of these scenarios really likely though?

Much has been made of the Steelers keeping their extremely talented WR and RB in check, until it just wasn't possible anymore. The second they dropped Bell and Brown? They were another middle of the road team.
In the Texans' case, we're dropping a guy who never had the public diva streak AND had three years left on his contract, giving him zero leverage. Much like the Clowney situation, even if there was a contract dispute on the horizon (certain for Clowney, potential for Hopkins), why not force the player's hand? Rick Smith, for all his faults, understood this part of the equation. O'Brien overruled on Clowney and took the GM reins himself for this one. In neither case did he let it play out. Clowney needed that year of service and would have been back for any late-season push. Hopkins could afford to stay out, but would he? Would he really leave a QB he had a great rapport with? Would he miss a chance to shine in the playoffs and raise his contract demands higher in the process? Why are the Texans so damn scared to find out? Instead, we trade for a half-eaten sandwich and stale chips. O'Brien is officially a 'mark' for the other NFL GMs. It's not a good place to be.

Agreed

But BOB is handling this, people just don't like the way he's doing it. He's cleaning up the mess left for him and trying to develop a new culture. With that said, they have been trying to trade him for over a year so the market is what it is and likely won't get better as Nuk ages

BTW, give me a hard-working head case over a lazy guy.

I'm not a Clemson fan and before you label me a WoF, see my join date. Last time I looked, this is the Hopkins traded thread. This was Hopkins quote about being traded.
:bubble:

So what's up with the Clemson Twitter page pic?

Ya think? As far as BOB is considered you, me, this message board and the entire fan base might as well be the fan in the seats near the tunnel at halftime of the Denver game.

BOB could give two shiits about telling us why. Its obvious he and the rest of ownership feel they owe us NOTHING in regards to what they do. When he finally does speak on the trade he'll just explain it away. Nothing to see here Brian.....

Besides, I'm sure he's busy wheeling and dealing sopping up the last few FAs out there and fine tuning his master drafting skills.

I personally don't think we'll see a season this year but thats another topic somewhere else
You nailed it man because you know that's how narcissistic personalities tic.

So now Hopkins is on the cusp of breaking down, he’s lazy and has a bad attitude. Three things I’ve never, ever heard from anyone about him until now.

Honestly, before this thread becomes so ridiculous that it devolves into a comedy skit maybe it should be moved to the NFL section of this board.

I think it’s just a case of moving on from him before real noticeable decline began to set in at which point they weren’t going to be able to get anything for him. You’d rather move on from a guy 1-2 years too soon than 1-2 years too late.The fact that it’s clear he wanted to be paid more just made it that much easier for them to make the decision to try.

Nuk’s not really tripping about it...it’s the fans.

But BOB is handling this, people just don't like the way he's doing it. He's cleaning up the mess left for him and trying to develop a new culture.

BTW, give me a hard-working head case over a lazy guy.
A "new culture"? Are you serious? He's been the head coach for 6 seasons? That's the biggest crock of **** I've read here.

Until I read the "lazy guy" part. You don't become All Pro for 3 years running without loving the game and working your arse off. Total and complete horseshyt.
Nope, when I saw what the feed was about I moved on.
Then move on.

Um, yeeeaah. It's the fans. Fans aren't concerned about how Hop feels. We're concerned about this team winning and being the best it can be. The overwhelming majority believe this trade made the team worse. That's what the "tripping" is about.

Right..can’t wait for the next time you guys are “concerned” about how the player feels...I’m betting that’ll be the next time a player expresses discontent with something that BoB has done that ya’ll agree with him on.

So now Hopkins is on the cusp of breaking down, he’s lazy and has a bad attitude. Three things I’ve never, ever heard from anyone about him until now.

Honestly, before this thread becomes so ridiculous that it devolves into a comedy skit maybe it should be moved to the NFL section of this board.

You should read around about his practice habits.

I think it’s just a case of moving on from him before real noticeable decline began to set in at which point they weren’t going to be able to get anything for him. You’d rather move on from a guy 1-2 years too soon than 1-2 years too late.The fact that it’s clear he wanted to be paid more just made it that much easier for them to make the decision to try.

Nuk’s not really tripping about it...it’s the fans.

The Belichick way.

You're correct about Nuk. He's happy.

F BOB...that is all...

See: This is what turns me off about twitter.

If it was really all about love then why was he wanting to leave his boy (DW4) with 3 yrs left on his contract? It wasn't about love at all. As with most things in pro sports it was about $$$$.

Some think Nuk was worth the extension. I'm not one of those guys. I'm more of the I'm going to hold onto you until I get what I want for you guy.

However maybe BOB thought DW4 was too reliant on Nuk on the field to grow as a QB. Not to mention all of the other stuff that's already been mentioned.

Right..can’t wait for the next time you guys are “concerned” about how the player feels...I’m betting that’ll be the next time a player expresses discontent with something that BoB has done that ya’ll agree with him on.

Spot On

The difference is some on here are willing to see how things play out before passing judgement. While others are blinded by their hate of all things BOB. (This is kinda like another form of TDS)

With that said, 51-7.

Back