Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

texan279

Hall of Fame
See: This is what turns me off about twitter.

If it was really all about love then why was he wanting to leave his boy (DW4) with 3 yrs left on his contract? It wasn't about love at all. As with most things in pro sports it was about $$$$.

Some think Nuk was worth the extension. I'm not one of those guys. I'm more of the I'm going to hold onto you until I get what I want for you guy.

However maybe BOB thought DW4 was too reliant on Nuk on the field to grow as a QB. Not to mention all of the other stuff that's already been mentioned.
Who said Hopkins wanted to leave? From what I've read, he wanted more money. He never demanded a trade. Why would he want to renegotiate a contract if he didn't want to stay? There's a difference between wanting a raise and wanting to leave. Too reliant on Hopkins? Wouldn't a coach want to lean on their best offensive player? If you have a player you can depend on "too much", why would you get rid of him with no "plan B"? And fine, say Hopkins demanded a trade. You're telling me BOB couldn't get more than a second round pick and a running back that had fallen out of good standing with his current team? Come on now...

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The difference is some on here are willing to see how things play out before passing judgement. While others are blinded by their hate of all things BOB. (This is kinda like another form of TDS)
Good to see you have changed your mind and willing to see how things play out. I take it you will show Watson the same patience you show BOB. Sorry folks. I couldn't help it.

Go back to thinking you can win a championship with DW4.
This comes down to if you think DW4 can win a championship or not.

I don't think he can.
I like him but I dont think he's improved and his deficiencies cant be overcome. In short like I've said, I dont think you can win a championship with DW4.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe Bill Walsh considered trading Jerry Rice, because Joe Montana was too reliant on him?

You can't actually believe the absurd excuses you're coming up with.
You do know with Montana Rodger Craig had over 1,000 yds rushing and receiving one yr and that's when receiving yds were hard to come by. Also you should check out a few of John Taylor stats/highlights. Montana also used Brent Jones quite a bit. Point is while Rice was the WR1 Montana didn't force the ball to Rice.

Kind of like Hill is WR1 but Mahomes spreads it around. This is why Hill doesn't put up the numbers Nuk does. Mahomes receiver 1 game may be Hill. the next it may be Kelce, the next Watkins, heck one games it was Demarcus Robinson. Mahomes throws to the best matchup and doesn't force balls to any 1 receiver. See: Kelce 51-7.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In the Texans' case, we're dropping a guy who never had the public diva streak AND had three years left on his contract, giving him zero leverage.
He's got the same leverage any of them has, including Tunsil. he either plays or he doesn't. he can very easily sit out, start demanding a trade, who knows.

Whatever it was, Texans didn't want to deal with it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who said Hopkins wanted to leave? From what I've read, he wanted more money. He never demanded a trade. Why would he want to renegotiate a contract if he didn't want to stay? There's a difference between wanting a raise and wanting to leave. Too reliant on Hopkins? Wouldn't a coach want to lean on their best offensive player? If you have a player you can depend on "too much", why would you get rid of him with no "plan B"? And fine, say Hopkins demanded a trade. You're telling me BOB couldn't get more than a second round pick and a running back that had fallen out of good standing with his current team? Come on now...
I'm looking forward to passes being spread around more like Montana dis with Rice/Taylor/Craig/Jones. Or like Brady did with Moss/Edelman/Gronk/White. It makes the offense much less predictable.

They will add another WR in the draft and Cobb is going to assume the role of Edelman. A WR Corps of WFV/Stills/Cobb/Coutee (I've still got hope for him) and Draft pick (My favorites are Mims/Claypool/Van Jefferson) should give DW4 the weaponry he needs to succeed. What would really help is if Warring is able to come in and play to the level of his athletic ability.

As far as a 2nd rd pick goes Nuk was on the market for 1 1/2 yrs and BOB finally said it's time to move on and took the best offer he could get. (I know fans dont want to hear the truth) Like I've said, I would've held onto Nuk since he was under contract. But I think BOB was more concerned with changing the culture in addition to knowing ownership wasn't going to pay Nuk so he went a head and moved on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good to see you have changed your mind and willing to see how things play out. I take it you will show Watson the same patience you show BOB. Sorry folks. I couldn't help it.
Difference is DW4's going into yr 4 and was better as a rookie than he is today. But yes, I have hope DW4 will be forced to improve now that he's lost his blankey. BTW, how much more patience are you willing to give DW4 along with 35-40 mil per yr? 4 more yrs/5 more? etc...

Last edited:

texan279

Hall of Fame
I'm looking forward to passes being spread around more like Montana dis with Rice/Taylor/Craig/Jones. Or like Brady did with Moss/Edelman/Gronk/White. It makes the offense much less predictable.

They will add another WR in the draft and Cobb is going to assume the role of Edelman. A WR Corps of WFV/Stills/Cobb/Coutee (I've still got hope for him) and Draft pick (My favorites are Mims/Claypool/Van Jefferson) should give DW4 the weaponry he needs to succeed. What would really help is if Warring is able to come in and play to the level of his athletic ability.

As far as a 2nd rd pick goes Nuk was on the market for 1 1/2 yrs and BOB finally said it's time to move on and took the best offer he could get. (I know fans dont want to hear the truth) Like I've said, I would've held onto Nuk since he was under contract. But I think BOB was more concerned with changing the culture in addition to knowing ownership wasn't going to pay Nuk so he went a head and moved on.
The only way BOB can somehow redeem himself in my eyes and my opinion is to make an insane move up in this year's draft and grab CeeDee Lamb. I know, it seems weird, but I am bias because he was raised here in the city I live in. I saw him play in a couple games in his last two years of high school, and even then, you could see he was a man among boys. I somewhat followed him through college. He's got size, hands, and can run routes. He's a tough kid. Not a burner by any means, but could step in and take #1 WR spot day one. I have no faith in Fuller staying healthy. I can't see Coutee getting much if any playing time. BOB, doghouse, whatever. I'm good with Stills. And honestly, I had no idea Cobb was still playing in the NFL until we signed him.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that. That's the kind of hypocrisy that irritates me, but I keep repeating in my head... "Ignore and move on, nothing good will come out of responding..."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that. That's the kind of hypocrisy that irritates me, but I keep repeating in my head... "Ignore and move on, nothing good will come out of responding..."
Yep, I will ask the same question to you, how much more patience 4-5 more yrs? That will make 8-9 yrs in the league. Would that be called enough patience? Or would that be called an overabundance of patience?

banned1976

sleeper mode
He's got the same leverage any of them has, including Tunsil. he either plays or he doesn't. he can very easily sit out, start demanding a trade, who knows.

It wasn’t “the Texans” that didn’t want to work with Hopkins. It was the GM and the HC. Unfortunately for us, the GM and HC are the same guy. It’s my opinion O’Brien has complete and automatic buy-in from ownership with whatever he wants to do. Which is why I believe Hopkins isn’t going to be the end of big talent shipped out of Houston. Maybe for this year he’s the last but I think this pattern will continue well into the future.

It’s going to be interesting revisiting this thread in 3-4 years. I wonder how many of us will be around to care by then.

disaacks3

Staff member

While true in the general sense, guarantees, trade clauses, and roster bonuses (not to mention how the CBA treats years of service and fines) all play a role as to the 'actual' leverage of a player.

As we've seen with Bell (and now Gordon), money lost isn't always regained on the next contract.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It wasn’t “the Texans” that didn’t want to work with Hopkins. It was the GM and the HC. Unfortunately for us, the GM and HC are the same guy. It’s my opinion O’Brien has complete and automatic buy-in from ownership with whatever he wants to do. Which is why I believe Hopkins isn’t going to be the end of big talent shipped out of Houston. Maybe for this year he’s the last but I think this pattern will continue well into the future.

It’s going to be interesting revisiting this thread in 3-4 years. I wonder how many of us will be around to care by then.
Hopefully you're right.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
While true in the general sense, guarantees, trade clauses, and roster bonuses (not to mention how the CBA treats years of service and fines) all play a role as to the 'actual' leverage of a player.

As we've seen with Bell (and now Gordon), money lost isn't always regained on the next contract.
True

All of this will change when the new CBA takes affect

disaacks3

Staff member
Maybe we’ll hear the well prepared statement from the Texans regarding this puzzling trade and other curious decisions the Texans have made recently. I’d love to know the real and honest truth from Cal on why they made O’Brien the GM.

Will update as stuff sticks out.
It's gag-inducing so far. Cal thinks we as fans (in response to prompt on Hopkins trade) should be excited by management not afraid to make "bold moves".

Easterby comments were 100% fluff initially. "Due diligence from a distance"

O'Brien needs me to fix his audio setup. He evidently goes on long walks with Easterby. He's beating on "TEAM", it was touched on by the others. this is evidently being setup as their defense of the move. Mentioned they couldn't afford Reader "Deal with Arizona was in best interests of our team" "Mentioned Hopkins wanted a raise. Calls it a great deal. "As long as I'm the football coach here, these decisions will be made in the best interests of the team". The "Capital T, Capital E, Capital A, Capital M etc. shtick has already gotten old. Expects off-season program to be cancelled.

Blah blah, we've won before, doing everything possible to win in January, not trying to win in March. Basically - season ticket holders should trust us.

More than a couple of mentions from Easterby and O'Brien on things they expect out of their players and who fits that mold.

zshawn10

All Pro
Bill O’Brien: ‘It was in the best interest of our team. DeAndre Hopkins was a great football player. We loved DeAndre Hopkins He had three years left on his deal and he wanted a raise. David Johnson is going to be a great addition to our football team.’
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 3, 2020
OB says that Hopkins wanted a raise and the #Texans did not want to do it and felt Arizona was the best deal. OB remains the deal was in the best interest in the team.
— patrick (@PatDStat) April 3, 2020

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The only way BOB can somehow redeem himself in my eyes and my opinion is to make an insane move up in this year's draft and grab CeeDee Lamb. I know, it seems weird, but I am bias because he was raised here in the city I live in. I saw him play in a couple games in his last two years of high school, and even then, you could see he was a man among boys. I somewhat followed him through college. He's got size, hands, and can run routes. He's a tough kid. Not a burner by any means, but could step in and take #1 WR spot day one. I have no faith in Fuller staying healthy. I can't see Coutee getting much if any playing time. BOB, doghouse, whatever. I'm good with Stills. And honestly, I had no idea Cobb was still playing in the NFL until we signed him.
Give me Ruggs/Speed Kills

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We've got speed with Fuller/Stills
You dont have Ruggs type speed, although WFV is close and you see what a difference the offense looks like when WFV is in the game. Ruggs is very talented in addition to having Hill type speed.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You dont have Ruggs type speed, although WFV is close and you see what a difference the offense looks like when WFV is in the game. Ruggs is very talented in addition to having Hill type speed.
Ruggs was the Tide's 3rd best WR. Think about that.

Doesn't matter. The Texans aren't getting Lamb or Ruggs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ruggs was the Tide's 3rd best WR. Think about that.

Doesn't matter. The Texans aren't getting Lamb or Ruggs.
Bama was loaded at WR.

With Smith/Waddle they had four 1st rd WR's on that team. It would be hard for Tua to look bad with that type of talent around him.

Texansballer74

The Marine
BOB is an idiot and can EAD. How can getting rid of one of your top three players on the roster be "in the best interest for the team"? What a joke...
He’s making it seems as if Hop was becoming a distraction or something. Watch his apologist use this bit of info the wrong way.

When will people realize he’s the problem.

1.Had a fight with one of his quarterbacks.
2. Couldn’t work with Rick Smith.

3. Had verbal confrontation with a fan. Had to be restrained by the guy he just got rid of.

4. Fired his hand picked GM because I guess he didn’t handle the Clowney trade right.

5. Not knowing all the facts. But him and Clowney didn’t get along together either.

This is a trend gents. Take notice

banned1976

sleeper mode
Isn’t it reassuring to hear O’Brien admit that the reason Hopkins was traded was because “he asked for a raise”? I don’t know about y’all but I’ve asked for a raise before and was told “no, sorry, can’t do it right now.” I was never told to pack my ****. I came back to work. Does anyone think that Hopkins wouldn’t have shown up to play on game day?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He’s making it seems as if Hop was becoming a distraction or something. Watch his apologist use this bit of info the wrong way.

When will people realize he’s the problem.

1.Had a fight with one of his quarterbacks.
2. Couldn’t work with Rick Smith.

3. Had verbal confrontation with a fan. Had to be restrained by the guy he just got rid of.

4. Fired his hand picked GM because I guess he didn’t handle the Clowney trade right.

5. Not knowing all the facts. But him and Clowney didn’t get along together either.

This is a trend gents. Take notice
and the opposite isn’t true? Here let me show you

“Watch his HATERS use this bit of info the wrong way”

You talk as if it’s impossible for this move to have been made and actually be a positive for the team.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
So.....When the deal was reported folks were skeptical that BoB got the best possible deal...said he didn’t talk to anyone and just took “a ham sandwich” That narrative got torpedoed when Roseman spoke to the Philly media and let them know they turned down the Texans offer b/c among other reasons, Their asking price was too much..

Then it was reported 1 of the reasons he was traded was b/c Nuk asked for a raise in the Julio Jones range, folks around here weren’t believing it..said it was all PR.....spin put out by the Texans to offset what “the real reason was” .....BoB just wanted him gone b/c he got all in his feelings about the supposed “locker room struggle” Irvin shot his mouth off about. folks all on the radio crying and **** about BoB and Cal “in hiding” b/c they we’re too scared to speak on the trade...well today BoB, Cal and Easterby all speaks on it...confirm what was reported about Nuk wanting a raise...and ya’ll still in here bitching.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Lol, when will u realize your perception of something shapes what u think about it?

You talk as if it’s impossible for this move to have been made and actually be a positive for the team.

How in the hell getting rid of your best player still in his darn prime a freaking positive? This is what I'm talking about,. You come to O'Brien's defense but want people to believe you don't.

banned1976

sleeper mode

The thing is, he’s right. Trading Hopkins for what they got for him was stupid. It has nothing to do with perception when you look at what the Vikings received for Diggs. The argument that the Texans got what they could fell on its face when that trade was confirmed. Could it be that your “perception” is skewed or biased? At least 99% of the people who watch the NFL believe the Texans got jobbed in that trade. Is their perception screwed up too?

Texansballer74

The Marine
The thing is, he’s right. Trading Hopkins for what they got for him was stupid. It has nothing to do with perception when you look at what the Vikings received for Diggs. The argument that the Texans got what they could fell on its face when that trade was confirmed. Could it be that your “perception” is skewed or biased? At least 99% of the people who watch the NFL believe the Texans got jobbed in that trade. Are their perception screwed up too?

They believed we got worked over with that Clowney trade to.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
How in the hell getting rid of your best player still in his darn prime a freaking positive? This is what I'm talking about,. You come to O'Brien's defense but want people to believe you don't.
1st of all, Nuk is on the backside of his prime..not entering his prime. Dude was asking for a bump in pay at the worst possible time...when we’re trying to lock down our franchise QB and LT. the timing is conspicuous as hell.

2nd of all, this is a TEAM sport. Nuk is great, but he was 1 of 11 guys...and not the most important “1” of those 11 either despite him being 1 of the best players on offense. If sacrificing that 1 great target gets us 3 new good targets for our franchise qb in the passing game (Cobb, Johnson & possible new WR with 2nd round pick) then yes, it could DEFINITELY be a positive for the TEAM in the long run.

Most here thought very little of the Hyde pick up...he was JAG..journeyman who’d never even rushed for 1000 yards..Many here thought that Kenny Stills .....well, he was just a “throw in” in the Tunsil deal...he won’t be a factor in the offense. Darren Fells? He was just training camp fodder..BoB loves his blocking TE’s! All these guys were MAJOR contributors to the team last year all of which played at levels above what everyone thought they would.

Max

Veteran
1st of all, Nuk is on the backside of his prime..not entering his prime. Dude was asking for a bump in pay at the worst possible time...when we’re trying to lock down our franchise QB and LT. the timing is conspicuous as hell.
I've thought the same. We started hearing that Watson wasn't going to give the team a discount around the same time that we hear about Tunsil/Reader are going to ask for the moon and then DHop asking for more $. It's that time of year that this is going to happen. But it's also possible that guys have been talking about sticking it to BOB as well. If so, it doesn't exactly bode well for how the star players feel about BOB.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The thing is, he’s right. Trading Hopkins for what they got for him was stupid. It has nothing to do with perception when you look at what the Vikings received for Diggs. The argument that the Texans got what they could fell on its face when that trade was confirmed. Could it be that your “perception” is skewed or biased? At least 99% of the people who watch the NFL believe the Texans got jobbed in that trade. Is their perception screwed up too?
And there’s grumblings amongst the Buffalo fans that they paid too much for him too. Regardless, it’s still justifiable that the Vikes got a 1 for Diggs and Nuk was only worth a 2nd rounder. To sum it up, Diggs is younger, faster, more explosive than Nuk. He’s about ready to enter his prime, Nuk will be exciting within a few years. Most importantly he’s cheaper than Nuk is right now from a contract perspective and.......He’s not asking for a 5 million dollar pay bump with 3 years left on his deal!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Wanting more money isn’t reason to trade a guy. I mean teams do, but it’s not a good reason, especially in this case.
I don’t necessarily think you can categorically say that it’s not a good reason...Fans take it that these guys just ask for more money, the team says no and that’s it.. that’s not at all how it happens and we’ve seen over the years how things spin out of control when teams try to strong arm players into playing on contracts that are bad or they’ve outperformed. It produces ill will and has an overall negative impact on the team.

We saw this first hand with Duane Brown, Levon Bell, Antonio Brown and a whole host of other players over the years.

People prophesizing that they “know” what Nuk would’ve done if he didn’t get the pay bump he was asking for don’t know half of what they think. This is business and if he felt like he had a strong case maybe he would’ve held out...maybe he would’ve sat out games. No one thought Duane Brown was that guy until he was.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And there’s grumblings amongst the Buffalo fans that they paid too much for him too. Regardless, it’s still justifiable that the Vikes got a 1 for Diggs and Nuk was only worth a 2nd rounder. To sum it up, Diggs is younger, faster, more explosive than Nuk. He’s about ready to enter his prime, Nuk will be exciting within a few years. Most importantly he’s cheaper than Nuk is right now from a contract perspective and.......He’s not asking for a 5 million dollar pay bump with 3 years left on his deal!
I think it's about market value. No one thinks Diggs is better then hopkins. Hopkins isn't faster or more explosive. That's not his game and never will be. Check the production.

He wanted more money because he's worth more money.

David Johnson might turn out great this year for us. It wont change my mind on the trade. At the time of the trade hopkins was a top 3 wr and DJ was a has been.

We took pennies on the dollar because O'Brien's ego got in the way of common sense.

texan279

Hall of Fame
So.....When the deal was reported folks were skeptical that BoB got the best possible deal...said he didn’t talk to anyone and just took “a ham sandwich” That narrative got torpedoed when Roseman spoke to the Philly media and let them know they turned down the Texans offer b/c among other reasons, Their asking price was too much..

Then it was reported 1 of the reasons he was traded was b/c Nuk asked for a raise in the Julio Jones range, folks around here weren’t believing it..said it was all PR.....spin put out by the Texans to offset what “the real reason was” .....BoB just wanted him gone b/c he got all in his feelings about the supposed “locker room struggle” Irvin shot his mouth off about. folks all on the radio crying and **** about BoB and Cal “in hiding” b/c they we’re too scared to speak on the trade...well today BoB, Cal and Easterby all speaks on it...confirm what was reported about Nuk wanting a raise...and ya’ll still in here bitching.
Just because we "got the best deal", does not make it a good deal. Yea I'm bitching. If anyone on this team deserved a raise it was Hopkins. But no, let's sign Cobb for $9 million a year. Which is only $3.5 million less than what Hopkins was scheduled to make in 2020. Cobb has only had more than 1000 yards in a season once. More than 10 touchdowns in a season once. And has played two more seasons than Hopkins, who has five 1000+ yard seasons and three seasons with 10+ touchdowns...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I think it's about market value. No one thinks Diggs is better then hopkins. Hopkins isn't faster or more explosive. That's not his game and never will be. Check the production.

He wanted more money because he's worth more money.

David Johnson might turn out great this year for us. It wont change my mind on the trade. At the time of the trade hopkins was a top 3 wr and DJ was a has been.

We took pennies on the dollar because O'Brien's ego got in the way of common sense.

Lol the “market” spoke on Nuk....just like it spoke on Clowney. He’s finding that out now. Roseman more or less confirmed that they didn’t think he was worth whatever we asked them for...which I think we can assume was at least a 1st. You guys just don’t want to hear it.

And this isn’t to say that I don’t think Nuk should get more money..

We saw this movie play out under a different regime with AJ and it led to the same place we got to with Nuk....& in both instances, what exactly has it led to?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Lol the “market” spoke on Nuk....just like it spoke on Clowney. He’s finding that out now. Roseman more or less confirmed that they didn’t think he was worth whatever we asked them for...which I think we can assume was at least a 1st. You guys just don’t want to hear it.

And this isn’t to say that I don’t think Nuk should get more money..

We saw this movie play out under a different regime with AJ and it led to the same place we got to with Nuk....& in both instances, what exactly has it led to?
Were you privy to negotiations or how long or widely he was shopped?

I didn't think so.

Dont sugar coat a turd. This trade was horrible for the texans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Just because we "got the best deal", does not make it a good deal. Yea I'm bitching. If anyone on this team deserved a raise it was Hopkins. But no, let's sign Cobb for $9 million a year. Which is only $3.5 million less than what Hopkins was scheduled to make in 2020. Cobb has only had more than 1000 yards in a season once. More than 10 touchdowns in a season once. And has played two more seasons than Hopkins, who has five 1000+ yard seasons and three seasons with 10+ touchdowns...
Nuk is great..but Cobb has typically done more with less. IOW’s he doesn’t need a **** ton of targets to rack up his numbers Unlike Nuk. He only had 83 targets with Dallas last year and damn near had a 1000 yard season.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Were you privy to negotiations or how long or widely he was shopped?

I didn't think so.

Dont sugar coat a turd. This trade was horrible for the texans.
Catch up. It is known they were shopping Nuk for almost a whole year going back to last year. So unless you think that they only shopped him to a few teams in all that time..... or that Roseman is an idiot and out of touch with the market for him then you can’t speak to “market value” like u did in your previous post.