Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hopkins New Contract....

So it's a good dream to you if your entertainment doesn't make you happy? If it's not entertaining you, then why do you exert so much effort?

Could it be that you enjoy seeing others hope fail? Or god forbid could you be one of those sick individuals that enjoy having their own dreams come crashing down?

Maybe you take it a lot more serious than I do... or maybe you're a troll that gets the jollies by baiting and trying to yank the chain of others? In either case I laugh
Nope, I just see things for what they are, now again what was it you didn't like about Hopkins extension. As for being a troll, you are the one who keeps stalking me. I am more than happy to end this conversation right now.

Nope, I just see things for what they are, now again what was it you didn't like about Hopkins extension. As for being a troll, you are the one who keeps stalking me. I am more than happy to end this conversation right now.

:lol:

Our ST don't suck b/c of our kickers, they suck b/c we can't get a reliable returner. You'd absolutely get roasted by the media for carrying 2 kickers. Most players on an NFL roster don't even consider those dudes football players...and you'd give up a roster spot to someone who could likely contribute more to carry 2? Lol, ok

Irvin himself last year made it too easy with his fumbles on ST against the pats.

Apart from that, who knows if we even win that first Titans game if we don't get that punt return from Fuller after Irvin was pulled.

I dont care about the media, I care about improving the ST's. A K that can eliminate TD returns is more valuable than say Ervin/Virgin/K. Fuller.

After the Mallet situation, that's even in question.

Texans’ organizational structure could cause a coach-G.M. showdown
October 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT

New Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien, right, and general manager Rick Smith watch the Houston Rockets defeat the Los Angeles Lakers in an NBA basketball game on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014, in Houston. The Rockets won 113-99. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)

One of the odd things about the Ryan Mallett fiasco is that coach Bill O’Brien shouldn’t need General Manager Rick Smith’s permission to cut Mallett. According to multiple reports, O’Brien has final say over the team’s 53-player roster.

So how can it be that O’Brien wanted to cut Mallett for missing a team flight on Saturday, and Smith refused? If O’Brien has final say, why doesn’t he just cut Mallett whether Smith likes it or not?

The problem could be related to the structure of the Texans’ front office: Although O’Brien has final say over which 53 players are on the roster, Smith has final say over the pool of players that O’Brien can draw from Smith makes the call on free agency, the draft and trades. So as long as the only quarterbacks on the Texans’ roster are Brian Hoyer and Mallett, O’Brien needs Smith to be on board with a decision to cut Mallett because O’Brien would need Smith to sign a new backup quarterback to replace Mallett.

Theoretically, O’Brien could say, “I’m cutting Mallett,” and Smith couldn’t do anything about it. But Smith could reply, “If you do that, I’m not signing another quarterback and you’ll be stuck running the wildcat the rest of the season if Hoyer gets hurt.” And O’Brien couldn’t do anything about that.

One would hope that an NFL franchise wouldn’t get so dysfunctional that it would come to that. And if it ever did come to that, Texans owner Bob McNair would surely jump in and either get his coach and G.M. to work it out, or fire one (or both) of them.

But the mere fact that someone within the organization is leaking the news that O’Brien and Smith disagree about what to do with Mallett suggests that there’s a fundamental problem with this franchise. A head coach with roster control and a G.M. with personnel control can only work together successfully if they have similar guiding philosophies. That doesn’t appear to be the case in Houston, which means it’s probably time for either O’Brien or Smith (or both) to go.

After the Mallet situation, that's even in question.

Texans’ organizational structure could cause a coach-G.M. showdown
October 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT

New Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien, right, and general manager Rick Smith watch the Houston Rockets defeat the Los Angeles Lakers in an NBA basketball game on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014, in Houston. The Rockets won 113-99. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)

One of the odd things about the Ryan Mallett fiasco is that coach Bill O’Brien shouldn’t need General Manager Rick Smith’s permission to cut Mallett. According to multiple reports, O’Brien has final say over the team’s 53-player roster.

So how can it be that O’Brien wanted to cut Mallett for missing a team flight on Saturday, and Smith refused? If O’Brien has final say, why doesn’t he just cut Mallett whether Smith likes it or not?

The problem could be related to the structure of the Texans’ front office: Although O’Brien has final say over which 53 players are on the roster, Smith has final say over the pool of players that O’Brien can draw from Smith makes the call on free agency, the draft and trades. So as long as the only quarterbacks on the Texans’ roster are Brian Hoyer and Mallett, O’Brien needs Smith to be on board with a decision to cut Mallett because O’Brien would need Smith to sign a new backup quarterback to replace Mallett.

Theoretically, O’Brien could say, “I’m cutting Mallett,” and Smith couldn’t do anything about it. But Smith could reply, “If you do that, I’m not signing another quarterback and you’ll be stuck running the wildcat the rest of the season if Hoyer gets hurt.” And O’Brien couldn’t do anything about that.

One would hope that an NFL franchise wouldn’t get so dysfunctional that it would come to that. And if it ever did come to that, Texans owner Bob McNair would surely jump in and either get his coach and G.M. to work it out, or fire one (or both) of them.

But the mere fact that someone within the organization is leaking the news that O’Brien and Smith disagree about what to do with Mallett suggests that there’s a fundamental problem with this franchise. A head coach with roster control and a G.M. with personnel control can only work together successfully if they have similar guiding philosophies. That doesn’t appear to be the case in Houston, which means it’s probably time for either O’Brien or Smith (or both) to go.

Really?

That's all speculation. Either O'Brien or Smith said they waited because they didn't have another QB to dress. That shows O'Briens impulsive short sitedness, not Smith overruling him.

Billy says, "I need another QB." Rick gets him a QB. Rick's not going to put himself in a situation where he's holding the bag.

You have the link saying they cut him to save money?
I assumed they kept the younger, but equally talented kicker who has better range than one they cut

Spencer said on channel 13 that Novak was a $$$$ cut and it makes sense. BTW, I wanted Fairbarin to win the K job for the reasons you listed.

Really?

That's all speculation. Either O'Brien or Smith said they waited because they didn't have another QB to dress. That shows O'Briens impulsive short sitedness, not Smith overruling him.

Billy says, "I need another QB." Rick gets him a QB. Rick's not going to put himself in a situation where he's holding the bag.

Not speculation at all.

Fact is with the current structure this could happen.

How many reports about how the Texans org is structured before you start thinking that these reports maybe, just maybe true?

# BOB's season ending PC described the structure just as this article describes the Texans orgs structure. Just because you dont want this to be true doesn't mean it's not true.

Not speculation at all.

Fact is with the current structure this could happen.

How many reports about how the Texans org is structured before you start thinking that these reports maybe, just maybe true?

# BOB's season ending PC described the structure just as this article describes the Texans orgs structure. Just because you dont want this to be true doesn't mean it's not true.

This could happen.

That's speculation. The guy is writing about a scenario that "could" happen. Not something that did happen.

I know what the structure is. Rick picks the players, Billy coaches them. That's the way it's supposed to be. Every time someone points to Ozzie Newsome as an example of what the structure "should" be like... That's what we got. Every time someone points to Ted Thompson... That's the structure we got. Kevin Colbert... same structure.

Ricky McNair brought Nick Novack & Ka'imi Fairbairn to camp. Billy selected the one he wanted. Maybe Rick had to remind him they could only carry 53, maybe Rick mentioned it doesn't make sense to carry Novak for kicks inside 40 yards, but that's not overruling Billy. That's just helping him make his decisions.

I was hoping that Fairburn was given a chance for the postition, especially for the kickoffs...............but also with the hopes that he could gain control of his canon leg on FG attempts.

Novak was scheduled to get $1,150,000 this year. Fairburn got a 3 yr $1,625,000 with a $541,667 salary this year + a whopping $5,000 guaranteed.

I agree, doesn't sound like a money move, regardless what Spencer Tillman said. Sounds more like we needed the roster spot.

Wait, I don't get it. You, yourself, said you preferred to keep Fairbairn over Novak. But since the Texans actually did it, they are setting up BOB for failure???

Nope, not because of cutting the K.

Because of neglecting the OL and not upgrading the WR position.

The Texans brain trust drinks their own koolaid. Ok to dispense to fans but the brain trust needs to know what is reality. They don't. Hopkins is not a top 3 receiver in the NFL. On the Texans he is good but on other teams not so much. He is not an Antonio Brown, Green, Jones, Beckham,... He has limited physical pluses. His strength may be catching and competing. Much of the time when he is targeted he is closely guarded and it is a coin flip on who is going to catch it. With new large CBs I think you put one on him and blanket and he is just another receiver. I am not sure if the Texans are trying to convince the fans that he is great by paying him top dollar. Really expensive Koolaid in my opinion.

Do the Texans also expect us to OD on the Koolaid in reference to Savage???? I see high pressure on Savage and worst case injury and interceptions, best case sacks and throw aways. Just my opinion. Hope I am totally wrong on both cases.

The Texans brain trust drinks their own koolaid. Ok to dispense to fans but the brain trust needs to know what is reality. They don't. Hopkins is not a top 3 receiver in the NFL. On the Texans he is good but on other teams not so much. He is not an Antonio Brown, Green, Jones, Beckham,... He has limited physical pluses. His strength may be catching and competing. Much of the time when he is targeted he is closely guarded and it is a coin flip on who is going to catch it. With new large CBs I think you put one on him and blanket and he is just another receiver. I am not sure if the Texans are trying to convince the fans that he is great by paying him top dollar. Really expensive Koolaid in my opinion.

Do the Texans also expect us to OD on the Koolaid in reference to Savage???? I see high pressure on Savage and worst case injury and interceptions, best case sacks and throw aways. Just my opinion. Hope I am totally wrong on both cases.

Heck yeah they want us to OD on this notion that Savage actually knows the offense. Hahaha

As you can see quite of few are already gone on that Savage dope. Haha

Heck yeah they want us to OD on this notion that Savage actually knows the offense. Hahaha

Do you honestly believe Texans fans are happy about the QB situation? We're trying to turn lemons into lemonade. All you're doing is; what are you doing anyway?

Do you honestly believe Texans fans are happy about the QB situation? We're trying to turn lemons into lemonade. All you're doing is; what are you doing anyway?

Of course we are not happy about the most important postion on the field. Four straight years and we still don't have a franchise QB. Wasting away that elite defense. That skit is killing even the most optimistic fan (JamTex). Lol

Spencer said on channel 13 that Novak was a $$$$ cut and it makes sense. BTW, I wanted Fairbarin to win the K job for the reasons you listed.
Novak cap about $1.1 and Fairburn about $467,500. Novak turned 36 August. Fairburn 13 years younger and Nick not that much better stats. I guess they could give D Brown the million saved if he reports...

"
Mr teX said:
...You'd absolutely get roasted by the media for carrying 2 kickers..."

This is one of the problems in our society today, both socially and politically. We are a society of wusses.
we weren't last season when we carried two kickers...

There's a big difference between knowing the offense and being able to execute it.. I am pretty damn positive that Savage knows the offense inside and out. It's the only offense he's been in during his 4 year career. Now whether he can execute it..that's still to be determined, but we're all about to find out.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between knowing the offense and be able to execute it.. I am pretty damn positive that Savage knows the offense inside and out. It's the only offense he's been in during his 4 year career. Now whether he can execute it..that's still to be determined, but we're all about to find out.

With this OL executing the offense is going to be almost impossible.

With this OL executing the offense is going to be almost impossible.

This is your opinion (and I share it) based on what we've seen so far...

But what if OB really surprises us?

Perhaps this is the year we can finally be happy (in a Houstonian kind of way).

:drunk:

There's a big difference between knowing the offense and being able to execute it.. I am pretty damn positive that Savage knows the offense inside and out. It's the only offense he's been in during his 4 year career. Now whether he can execute it..that's still to be determined, but we're all about to find out.

In his game and a half last season he did not look like he's all knowing. The only time he ran the offense smoothly, was when they were running their hurry up offense.

This is your opinion (and I share it) based on what we've seen so far...

But what if OB really surprises us?

Perhaps this is the year we can finally be happy (in a Houstonian kind of way).

:drunk:

Hmm didn't we think that skit last season? How did it turn out?

They most definitely have to prove it.

Again there's a difference between knowing and executing. And since he did operate the offense smoothly in the hurry up as you admit, you have to know the offense and the plays in the offense to even be able to go no huddle.. so it looked like he knew the offense to me. He just held on to the ball too long at times lasting year which he freely admits it's been the main thing he wanted to improve on this year.

Bill O'Brien does not run the hurry up offense often, just on special situations. When Savage was task to run the actual offense, he struggled. So again I am not buying this notion of him knowing the offense like that.

"
Mr teX said:
...You'd absolutely get roasted by the media for carrying 2 kickers..."

we weren't last season when we carried two kickers...
Missed the point. I was pointing my comment to the social trend of "caring" what others think to the extent that it influences a person's decision making and behavior. In this instance, a coaching staff who would be influenced by the concern that they would be "roasted" by the news media.

Bill O'Brien does not run the hurry up offense often, just on special situations. When Savage was task to run the actual offense, he struggled. So again I am not buying this notion of him knowing the offense like that.

So what your saying, everyone on the offensive side of the ball knows the playbook better than Tom Savage? All the receivers ran correct routes? The OL picked up all their assignments? The RB's picked up the blitz properly? And, Savage just holds on to the ball for far too long b/c he's become discombobulated with the playbook? Savage may hold on to the ball in some instances but he could be giving his receivers the opportunity to break coverage versus throwing a risky pass. When they do break coverage he can heave the ball with some authority and usually right at them...this is why I keep harping on the OL. Give Savage a little better pocket and another receiver like Hopkins only a little faster and he could do some damage to opposing defenses in my book.

The hurry up offense especially when alternated without totally predictable pattern can be very advantageous to an Oline, especially a questionable Oline.
Here is an insightful article that lays out detailed aspects of this tactic.
The advantages and disadvantages of the no-huddle, hurry-up offense in the NFL

Good read Doc

How many TD's have the Patriots scored rushing to the line of scrimmage after a play takes them to inside the 3 yd line? I can count at least 2 vs the Texans alone off the top of my head in the last few years. The D line didn't even know what their assignments were.

How many TD's have the Patriots scored rushing to the line of scrimmage after a play takes them to inside the 3 yd line? I can count at least 2 vs the Texans alone off the top of my head in the last few years. The D line didn't even know what their assignments were.

My point is Bill O'Brien doesn't like running the hurry up offense often. I remember Trash Osweiler saying we needed to run it more.

My point is Bill O'Brien doesn't like running the hurry up offense often. I remember Trash Osweiler saying we needed to run it more.

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with anything you posted. Sorry, I think I quoted your message by mistake. My post was more of just a general observation based on the article.

Problem with running no huddle often is that you're liable to have your defense on the field with little rest between series.

If the offense is putting points on the board...then the point becomes moot since the defense will enjoy playing against an offense trying to play catch-up. I don't think there would be any OC in the NFL who would want to lineup against the Texans defense when they are in "pin their ears back" mode. So, if a no-huddle up-tempo offense can make this happen....then let it rain.

If the offense is putting points on the board...then the point becomes moot since the defense will enjoy playing against an offense trying to play catch-up. I don't think there would be any OC in the NFL who would want to lineup against the Texans defense when they are in "pin their ears back" mode. So, if a no-huddle up-tempo offense can make this happen....then let it rain.
Yeah, but after the TD, the ST will allow a KO return for a TD.

:corrosion:

Signed
Chip Kelly

Back