Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins New Contract....

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
It appears that the contract extension the Steelers just gave Antonio Brown (Highest paid NFL WR) will set the market value for DeAndre Hopkins. He got a 4 YR / 68M extension and if you include his remaining 2017 contract it works out to 5 YR / 72.7M.

The big question...what will Hopkins and Creative Artist Agency (Tom Condon) expect financially from the Texans? Will they be around Brown's figure or will they demand a bigger and better contract?

Cal's Pal Ricky should have ironed this situation out last off-season before something like this signing pushed his asking price up-up-up. Good job CPR, hope this doesn't blow-up in the face of Texans fans.

How do you know they didn't attempt to extend DHop .... Maybe he and his agent wanted to hit the open market.

Do you just assume they are idiots because its Bob & Rick we're talking about ?!

How do you know they didn't attempt to extend DHop .... Maybe he and his agent wanted to hit the open market.

Do you just assume they are idiots because its Bob & Rick we're talking about ?!

Is there an extension on the horizon? No. Based on the Osweiler contract and the inability to get this Hopkins situation ironed out...lets just say, at the moment I don't view them as the sharpest sticks in the wood pile (in regards to football matters).

I trade him before I sign him to that kind of money. Especially after the season he had, with drops and just flat out short-arming passes that he would catch 90+% of the time in past years. Personally, I think him getting a huge extension played a large part in that.
I'd make him an offer in the lower part of the top 10 for WR's or get some picks. Maybe bundle a deal with JJo...

Got anything to support that with other than your opinion ?! Statements by Rick , Bob , OB , DHop , his agent .... maybe his agents third cousins neighbor ?!

It's an opinion just like the other content on this board...that's why it's referenced as a Forum. We're just talking about the Texans and all the possibilities...that's all. Do you have an opinion?

I trade him before I sign him to that kind of money. Especially after the season he had, with drops and just flat out short-arming passes that he would catch 90+% of the time in past years. Personally, I think him getting a huge extension played a large part in that.
I'd make him an offer in the lower part of the top 10 for WR's or get some picks. Maybe bundle a deal with JJo...

A lot of Hopkins' down season last year has been explained by many to be because of Os' poor play at QB. But one thing that definitely struck me was how little effort he made last year to get to the ball, and if he got there how little effort went into "contesting"/fighting for the ball compared to years past. And if you try to put this on the fact that he was discouraged by either Os' play or by the Texans not giving him an early extension, you need to ask yourself if this is a player you want on your team, let alone want to offer a huge long-term contract to. The Texans could have a totally different view of last year, and either way we will find out soon.

I'd offer closer to $13-$14M per year and try my absolute best to get a competent QB. If they're feeling gun shy on a QB based on the Osweiler mistake, I wouldn't even re-sign him. No point in having him if he isn't paired with a QB. McNair did say they'll be looking in the draft for a QB, so I feel better about that than I have in years past.

He dropped a lot of tough balls he used to catch, he also dropped a lot of easy balls for first downs, I can think of 4 of the top of my head. Yes his production went down because of Oz, but he flat out came out short on numerous occasions on his own. 2015 DHop I'd pay 15M a year for(which I think is his market), 2016 DHop is not even close to being worth that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys have down years sometimes, but Hopkins had been getting progressively better before last year, to the point of being an elite receiver.

Not everybody is Andre Johnson, guys can become discouraged and it obviously can impact performance. Think about times in which you've been in a poor employment situation and your performance suffered. That's why I say that unless we fully intend to TRY to find a QB, you might as well trade him. Trading him for Jimmy G isn't such a bad idea if you don't see any other way to attain a competent QB that isn't injury prone and/or 37 years old.

I said this when he did that one day sit out thing that he wanted his contract probably because he could see how bad Oz was while in practice and knew if he didn't get paid at the start of the season and with all the other wide receivers draft picks that maybe his days were numbered. I love Dhop but I definitely feel like he didn't try last year. There was no spectacular DHop. There was average DHop. He played like a disgruntled person and sorta of how AJ played in his last season here. Maybe that cancer is still festering. Great players rise above their circumstances. So no I don't think he's worth some big contract at this point. And maybe from a morale standpoint it would be better if he were gone.

I'm still in the camp that we need to keep Hopkins. The thought of giving a dangerous weapon like him to Tom Brady - for yet another backup QB no less - makes me ill.
Do I think he's worth the mad money the Steelers paid to Brown? No!

But I think using the non-exclusive franchise tag on him next year (I don't think they can do it this year) would protect the Texans and give Hopkins the WR1 money he thinks he deserves. If someone is willing to break the bank for him, then we get draft picks.

A lot of Hopkins' down season last year has been explained by many to be because of Os' poor play at QB. But one thing that definitely struck me was how little effort he made last year to get to the ball, and if he got there how little effort went into "contesting"/fighting for the ball compared to years past. And if you try to put this on the fact that he was discouraged by either Os' play or by the Texans not giving him an early extension, you need to ask yourself if this is a player you want on your team, let alone want to offer a huge long-term contract to. The Texans could have a totally different view of last year, and either way we will find out soon.
I agree 100% and I'm pretty sure which side y'all know that I fall on. I posted in the QB thread that I'd offer Hopkins and JJo for Jimmy G and a 3rd or higher draft pick.

Agreed the DHop contract issue is down the road, FRanchise him next year if need be

Agreed the DHop contract issue is down the road, FRanchise him next year if need be

I would never do that. The Texans also have a history of not franchising players. I think that Dunta Robinson is the only player they've ever franchised.

It appears that the contract extension the Steelers just gave Antonio Brown (Highest paid NFL WR) will set the market value for DeAndre Hopkins. He got a 4 YR / 68M extension and if you include his remaining 2017 contract it works out to 5 YR / 72.7M.

The big question...what will Hopkins and Creative Artist Agency (Tom Condon) expect financially from the Texans? Will they be around Brown's figure or will they demand a bigger and better contract?

Cal's Pal Ricky should have ironed this situation out last off-season before something like this signing pushed his asking price up-up-up. Good job CPR, hope this doesn't blow-up in the face of Texans fans.
NOTE the guaranteed part of Brown's contract:

Antonio Brown signed a 4 year, $68,000,000 contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including a $19,000,000 signing bonus, $19,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,000,000. In 2017, Brown will earn a base salary of $910,000 and a signing bonus of $19,000,000. Brown has a cap hit of $13,618,333 while his dead money value is $27,908,333.

Fortunately for both Hopkins and Texans there is a season to determine what happens to the WR post 2017.

Fortunately for both Hopkins and Texans there is a season to determine what happens to the WR post 2017.
Not if Hopkins is butt hurt enough to sign a reasonable contract. The Texans wouldn't be doing the smart thing by franchising him. If I couldn't get a reasonable fair long term deal with him this offseason, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Not if Hopkins is butt hurt enough to sign a reasonable contract. The Texans wouldn't be doing the smart thing by franchising him. If I couldn't get a reasonable fair long term deal with him this offseason, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
that's the point. He gets paid for what he earns in 2017. If he wants a great deal or even a good deal he should crank it up. As others have posted not all was on QB in 2016. I wouldn't franchise him either

that's the point. He gets paid for what he earns in 2017. If he wants a great deal or even a good deal he should crank it up. As others have posted not all was on QB in 2016. I wouldn't franchise him either
My point is that he didn't get his contract extension last offseason, had his micro holdout then produced his worst season to date. I don't give a rat's ass who his QB was last season, he played poorly.

If he plays great next season, I'm sure he'll want to test the FA waters and he'll have a grudge (supposition by me) against the Texans.

NOTE the guaranteed part of Brown's contract:

Antonio Brown signed a 4 year, $68,000,000 contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including a $19,000,000 signing bonus, $19,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,000,000. In 2017, Brown will earn a base salary of $910,000 and a signing bonus of $19,000,000. Brown has a cap hit of $13,618,333 while his dead money value is $27,908,333.

It's a pretty good contract. Nearly $13M of that dead cap money is off the books after 2017. He's got a $6M roster bonus in 2018 and a $2.5M roster bonus in 2019 that will most certainly be paid. The roster bonuses aren't guaranteed, but they aren't going to cut him that early on in that contract, so that basically means his salaries for those years are also guaranteed. That guaranteed number is misleading. It's a prove yourself each year contract, but it's also structured in such a way that the Steelers aren't likely to cut him in the first 3 years of it. After the first 3 years, his cap numbers come down to $15.1M and $16.3M in the final two seasons. They could cut him in either of those two years for a good savings if he falls off for whatever reason. He'll be 32 starting that 4th year of his contract, so his game may fall off by then.

I think you would want to sign Hopkins on a deal much more like what Julio Jones got when he was 26.

Julio signed a 5 year deal, $71.25M deal with $41M in possible guarantees ($35.5M initially guaranteed). The Falcons gave Julio a $12M signing bonus with roster bonuses of $7.5M in 2015 and $4M in 2016. That was all guaranteed, along with his 2015 base salary of $2.5M in 2015 and $9.5M in 2016. His cap hits were $12.4M in 2015 and $15.9M in 2016. His 2017 salary of $11.5M becomes guaranteed on March 11th of this year. That type of structure would work better with Hopkins, although I would want them to try to get the numbers overall to be lower. I like their use of guaranteed roster bonuses in the first 2 years to eat up some of that guaranteed money, so later on in his contract they can get rid of him if need be. Pay the guy as much as you can in guarantees in the first 2 years, while keeping the cap hit manageable, because you know you are going to have him on your team for those 2 years anyway. Great thing about those roster bonuses is that you don't have to spread them out against the cap over the course of the contract like the signing bonus. Julio's cap hits are manageable later on in his deal ($13.9M, $12.9M, and $14.9M in the last 3 years). He's also got only $2.4M accounting toward his cap hit each year in signing bonuses, which keep his dead cap pretty low later on.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

Compare that structure with that of Dez Bryant's contract:

The Cowboys gave Dez a 5 year, $70M with a $20M signing bonus and $45M of guaranteed money. They structured his guarantees much like Julio in his 2015, 2016 and 2017 base salaries (2017 becomes guaranteed on March 13th of this year), as well as the signing bonus, except they skipped the roster bonuses and didn't use them. They did some hoopla with the way his signing bonus is paid to him, but it has no impact on the cap. His initial cap hit was $7M in 2015, then $13M in 2016. The problem with the contract is now that he's past those first 2 years, he has cap hits of $17M and twice $16.5M over his last three years. In addition, his signing bonuses account for $4M of his cap figure every year and thus toward his dead cap. So, he's more expensive than Julio in regards to cap figure in these last 3 years and he's also got more dead money on his contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dez-bryant-6533/

Two guys who got similar money than what I think Hopkins will get, but two contracts that are structured differently. I'd like to see the Texans use the roster bonus trick on Hopkins so as to keep his signing bonus prorations down, particularly for the benefit to the team in the latter part of his deal if they feel he isn't worth that contract at that time.

Last edited:
My point is that he didn't get his contract extension last offseason, had his micro holdout then produced his worst season to date. I don't give a rat's ass who his QB was last season, he played poorly.

If he plays great next season, I'm sure he'll want to test the FA waters and he'll have a grudge (supposition by me) against the Texans.
I think Texans have strong hand in that they have taken care of players before. Hopkins was "out" one day. He earns $ 7.9 million 2017. If he or Bouye want to go elsewhere out of team's hands. We should be getting to that depth when players leave we have to have a Fuller and Strong step up.

I think Texans have strong hand in that they have taken care of players before. Hopkins was "out" one day. He earns $ 7.9 million 2017. If he or Bouye want to go elsewhere out of team's hands. We should be getting to that depth when players leave we have to have a Fuller and Strong step up.

I think we'd all rather Hopkins sign his extension now. It doesn't make sense to me to play him on a $7M contract this year and then push off his next contract.

I think we'd all rather Hopkins sign his extension now. It doesn't make sense to me to play him on a $7M contract this year and then push off his next contract.
If I'm GM, I'm not offering him anything near what he's probably looking for. I'm offering him the lower end of the top 10 WR salaries and the guaranteed money won't be that much. I'll openly say that I'm not a huge Hopkins fan. He runs poor routes, gets little separation and doesn't have breakaway speed. After watching his performance with contested catches last season, I'll pass. After watching his performance with balls placed where only he could make the catch, I'll pass. He's not Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, OBJ, TY Hilton, etc. He'd be a superb #2 possession receiver but hasn't earned top 5 money and I feel fairly certain that's what he will be looking for.

If I'm GM, I'm not offering him anything near what he's probably looking for. I'm offering him the lower end of the top 10 WR salaries and the guaranteed money won't be that much. I'll openly say that I'm not a huge Hopkins fan. He runs poor routes, gets little separation and doesn't have breakaway speed. After watching his performance with contested catches last season, I'll pass. After watching his performance with balls placed where only he could make the catch, I'll pass. He's not Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, OBJ, TY Hilton, etc. He'd be a superb #2 possession receiver but hasn't earned top 5 money and I feel fairly certain that's what he will be looking for.

I'd trade him this year for draft picks. If I were a nice guy I'd trade him to Detroit or Arizona. Or if Hopkins wants to play hard ball, try to take a huge money grab I'd trade him to Cleveland. Despite going into the playoffs 2 years in a row, the Texans have many needs. Even if they keep Hopkins it looks like they still need help at WR. Of course they need a QB. They also need a right tackle, a left tackle, maybe a tight end, a defensive end, ILB and if they lose Bouye they'll need another corner. And if Demps leaves, they need another safety. They also have zero depth anywhere.

The team comes before a singular player, especially when said player is coming off a terrible year in which he appeared to half-assed routes and contending for the ball and had a little mini holdout. Yes, he got another dud at QB. That's a piss-poor reason to not put forth 100% effort. Or even 90%. And we all know what he's like when the balls on the ground and there's a impending scrum. You'd never see Danny Amendola shy away from that, especially given the circumstance.

Well, these contracts are only going to get more expensive. Giving him near Julio money now isn't what a Julio type player is going to command now, it's going to be more. I'd also offer less than Julio, but I don't think significantly. I think he's a great player and will prove to come back to form and even improve on that once he is able to get some consistent QB play. I can't imagine it's alot of fun playing with Osweiler. You run and run and run and he hardly ever sees you when you're open, and then misses you when he does see you. I'm sure he tried hard to keep that from impacting his performance, but easier said than done.

It's an opinion just like the other content on this board...that's why it's referenced as a Forum. We're just talking about the Texans and all the possibilities...that's all. Do you have an opinion?

The way you stated it was as if it were fact , not opinion.

I think they'll pay him .... specifics don't really matter.

I said this when he did that one day sit out thing that he wanted his contract probably because he could see how bad Oz was while in practice and knew if he didn't get paid at the start of the season and with all the other wide receivers draft picks that maybe his days were numbered. I love Dhop but I definitely feel like he didn't try last year. There was no spectacular DHop. There was average DHop. He played like a disgruntled person and sorta of how AJ played in his last season here. Maybe that cancer is still festering. Great players rise above their circumstances. So no I don't think he's worth some big contract at this point. And maybe from a morale standpoint it would be better if he were gone.
Na, I think the Texans drafting Fuller and Braxton made him feel a little threatened. He seemed legitimately happy about the Os signing and his posts on social media showed it. As soon as the draft passed and the offseason activities started he decided to pull that little stunt. I find it funny how he was "holding out" for a new contract, and came back the next day with "the team comes first" attitude. He showed his true colors with that questionable move, then went on to have a crap season.

Na, I think the Texans drafting Fuller and Braxton made him feel a little threatened. He seemed legitimately happy about the Os signing and his posts on social media showed it. As soon as the draft passed and the offseason activities started he decided to pull that little stunt. I find it funny how he was "holding out" for a new contract, and came back the next day with "the team comes first" attitude. He showed his true colors with that questionable move, then went on to have a crap season.

He was happy with the signing of Os .... Until Os started throwing the ball in his general direction. Then it was .... not this sh!t again.

You mean, after he had a chance to actually play with Osweiler?

The main thing that is not being discussed here is that these top WRs got bigger contracts as rookies, much bigger. He deserves to make more, period. How much more is up for debate, but he's most certainly worth more than $7M this year.

The main thing that is not being discussed here is that these top WRs got bigger contracts as rookies, much bigger. He deserves to make more, period. How much more is up for debate, but he's most certainly worth more than $7M this year.
They didn't play together until the preseason. And even then, Hopkins didn't really even get any targets. It was all passed to Fuller and the rest of the rookies/twos and threes. Hopkins held out at the start of OTAs. I seriously doubt Osweiler had anything to do with the "hold out," and it probably was about the rookie contracts as you pointed out.

From Football Outsiders.................BEFORE Osweiler (2013-2015). Not only does it cover catch radius, but further into the article that all-important yards-after-catch (YAC). After reading this and its comparisons to other WRs, you may be less likely to place Hopkins in the class of the NFL elite #1 WRs :

18 Dec 2015
Catch Radius: DeAndre Hopkins

by Scott Kacsmar

This is why I do not think a contract is going to get done this year. New contracts are about the new years and the new money added to the contract, they do not replace existing years which they consider they are being underpaid for. Players should expect to give the team a little discount for the new years if they want to get a contract signed before becoming a free agent. JJ Watt gave a substantial discount for his contracts new years which is why he received a contract 2 years before he could become a free agent. Players like to use the term "its a business", well that applies to the team also. To stay competitive, teams must take advantage of every under value contract they have. If a team has a player with two years remaining at a total cost of $10m and said player has a value of $15m/yr, the team throws away $20m of cap space if they offer them a contract that pays them $90m over the next 6 years. I understand that contracts vary greatly with bonuses and guaranteed salaries, but it mostly comes down to new money per new year. The salary cap is fluid.

I agree after the 2015 season that Hopkins had a value of $15m/yr for new years added to his contract. The problem is players and their agents let ego get in the way of making sound financial decisions that are win/win for the player and team.

If last March, the Texans offered Hopkins a 4 yr, $52m extension that would have paid him a total of $62m for the 6 years from 2016 through 2021 season do you think he would have agreed to it? The $13m/yr for new years would have been a discount from his then current value of $15m/yr, but in return he would have received $$$$ 2 years early, a win/win for him and the team. We will never know what was offered, but IMO he likely lost money by not considering a similar type offer.

IMO, Hopkins now has a value of $12m/yr for new years added to his contract. I would offer Hopkins an extension in the range of 4 yrs, $44m for the 4 new years, paying him a total of $52m for the 5 years from 2017 through 2021. Thus he loses $10m versus the deal I described above and gets paid a year later. I do not expect Hopkins to accept this type of offer either, which is why he will be franchised or hit free agency next season.

With Hopkins making $7.9m this year, the question is will he be back to his antics from last season and throw away more $$$$ or will he use this as a wake up call, come out hungrier than last season and earn the contract he desires.

If Hopkins signs an extension, it will replace his current contract and he will be paid a new number for 2017. This is common.

The point is, if you plan to resign a rookie like Hopkins, you try to do it before he plays out the last year of his deal, especially when it's the 5th year of a deal in which he hasn't made a ton of money. If you wait, you risk losing him to a team that offers him more, sometimes significantly more than you could have extended him for the previous year.

If they don't want to keep him, that's one thing. If they plan to keep him, why not get the deal done now, lock him up, and pay out more of the guarantees while he's a year younger?

I also think this antics thing is way overblown. Hopkins was getting open often last year. He didn't play as well as in 2015, but this narrative that he played like crap and dogged it is strange.

Franchising him next year doesn't make any sense either. He wouldn't be any less expensive, and you're pushing off any potential deal to 2019, where he'll be 27 at the start of the year. So, then if you extend him, you're giving him a 5 year deal and putting him under contract through the age of 32. Compare that with extending him now and his last year of the contract is at the age of 30. I think he's much more likely to finish out that contract.

Last edited:
If Hopkins signs an extension, it will replace his current contract and he will be paid a new number for 2017. This is common.
QUOTE]

Yes, his 2017 salary would likely be restructured but the overall amount 2017 adds to his contract will not change in relation to his value.

If he is set to make X this year and his current value is Y per year, to get a 4 year extension before becoming a free agent he has to be willing to accept playing the next 5 years for a total amount equal to X+.9(4Y), he will not get a offer that pays him 5Y for the next 5 years. If you figure Hopkins is worth $12m per year currently, that would mean he needs to be willing to accept a contract that pays him around $51m over the next 5 years. I anticipate Hopkins will not accept this, thus he will be playing for his 5th year option money and next year we will franchise tag him, then try to get a long term deal signed based on his 2017 performance.

The antics I described was not his play but his holdout. Hopkins need to be focused on getting back to his 2015 level of play, and being at all the off season activities will help.

Yes, his 2017 salary would likely be restructured but the overall amount 2017 adds to his contract will not change in relation to his value.

If he is set to make X this year and his current value is Y per year, to get a 4 year extension before becoming a free agent he has to be willing to accept playing the next 5 years for a total amount equal to X+.9(4Y), he will not get a offer that pays him 5Y for the next 5 years. If you figure Hopkins is worth $12m per year currently, that would mean he needs to be willing to accept a contract that pays him around $51m over the next 5 years. I anticipate Hopkins will not accept this, thus he will be playing for his 5th year option money and next year we will franchise tag him, then try to get a long term deal signed based on his 2017 performance.

The antics I described was not his play but his holdout. Hopkins need to be focused on getting back to his 2015 level of play, and being at all the off season activities will help.

That's not a bad formula, it's flawed as there should be a separate multiplier for each year if you are going to try to estimate contracts using it. $12M would be extremely low. By your equation, Allen Hurns would have been worth nearly $15M. Hurns is worth $3M more than Hopkins? TY Hilton would be worth $17.2M. TY Hilton worth more than $5M per year more than Hopkins? Julio would be around $16 and AJ Green would be more than $18M. You can check the numbers against their extensions and the last year of their rookie deal that was voided.

If you were going to use that formula to roughly estimate a Hopkins extension, I think you'd want to assign him a Y number of closer to $14-15M. That would leave him with a 5 year deal between roughly $58M and $62M, which is hovering around $12M per year. I think that's pretty fair.

That's not a bad formula, it's flawed as there should be a separate multiplier for each year if you are going to try to estimate contracts using it. $12M would be extremely low. By your equation, Allen Hurns would have been worth nearly $15M. Hurns is worth $3M more than Hopkins? TY Hilton would be worth $17.2M. TY Hilton worth more than $5M per year more than Hopkins? Julio would be around $16 and AJ Green would be more than $18M. You can check the numbers against their extensions and the last year of their rookie deal that was voided.

If you were going to use that formula to roughly estimate a Hopkins extension, I think you'd want to assign him a Y number of closer to $14-15M. That would leave him with a 5 year deal between roughly $58M and $62M, which is hovering around $12M per year. I think that's pretty fair.

Allen Hurns got $40m new for 4 new years - $10m/new year, following a 1031 YD, 10 TD season - Y number would equal $11m

TY Hilton got $63.5m new for 5 new years - $12.7m/new year, following a 1345 YD, 7 TD season - Y number would equal $14m

I think it is a lot of what have you done for me lately - Hopkins is coming off of a healthy 954 YD, 4 TD season, I think it is generous to put his Y number at $12m when Hurn got $11m following a 1031 YD, 10 TD season. But he did have 1521 YD, 11 TD a season earlier, which is why I think a market value of $12m per year.

I did not analyze Julio or AJ because even 2015 Hopkins doesn't compare to those two WRs who are game plan nightmares.

Allen Hurns got $40m new for 4 new years - $10m/new year, following a 1031 YD, 10 TD season - Y number would equal $11m

TY Hilton got $63.5m new for 5 new years - $12.7m/new year, following a 1345 YD, 7 TD season - Y number would equal $14m

I think it is a lot of what have you done for me lately - Hopkins is coming off of a healthy 954 YD, 4 TD season, I think it is generous to put his Y number at $12m when Hurn got $11m following a 1031 YD, 10 TD season. But he did have 1521 YD, 11 TD a season earlier, which is why I think a market value of $12m per year.

I did not analyze Julio or AJ because even 2015 Hopkins doesn't compare to those two WRs who are game plan nightmares.

Hurns had a 600k cap number in his last year of his rookie contract. That's your X. He signed a 4 year $40.65M contract. You substract 600k from $40.65M and you get $40.05M. You divide that by 3, you get $13.35M. You divide $13.35M by .9, you get $14.83, or roughly $15M.

That's algebra:

X + (.9)3Y = $40.65M

=> Y = ($40.65M - X)/(.9)(3)

You use 3 and not 4 because it's a 4 year contract (3 new years as you put it)

Your math is wrong on Hilton as well. Check your work. It comes out to $17.2M or roughly that, can't remember exactly.

If he isn't trying because he thinks he's underpaid, we don't need him. If he wants off this team because he thinks it will never have a QB, I wouldn't be surprised. We know how disgusted he gets when they won't seat the likes of Hoyer and Osweiler. You can't blame him too much for that.

Ah, never mind. That's my fault. I should have looked at the details. I always assumed the 4 year $40.65M extension accounted for 4 total years, including the year remaining on the previous contract. It's really a new contract that is $40.65M over 5 years, because the 2016 cap hit was changed to $9M, or up $8.4M. The $40.05 is the 4 new years of money plus the difference in cap hit from the new contract vs the old contract for that first year of the new contract. So, for Hurns, the average of about $10M per year is misleading. It's really $8M per year.

So, for Hurns it'd be what you said, but you have to compare it to $8M per year rather than $10M.

That goes for all the other players in similar circumstances. TY Hilton had a small difference in cap hit for that first year of the new deal vs last year of rookie deal (about $1.5M) so the average is actually pretty close to $13M. It's actually $12.7M, as you said.

I'm sorry, I'm thinking what math are you doing? But I just missed that detail. We both got parts of our math wrong. You got the Hilton one down, but the Hurns one is slightly off due to the initial cap hit changing so dramatically.

I never actually realized that these reported extensions can be so misleading. Learn something new everyday.

So, when you say a 5 year $51M contract, do you mean that's the new contract you'd propose and he's then under contract for 5 years, or $51M in new money, on top of the $7.9M and he's under contract for 6 years? So, really a 6 year $58.9M contract?

Either seems low to me.

Last edited:
I get that but remember the cry when Cushing got his and then was hurt? I try to balance locking up player you want versus injury and other risks.

patrick

✔@PatDStat

“Our goal is to keep our good young players and DeAndre Hopkins is a good young player.” Rick Smith#Texans

10:13 AM - 2 Mar 2017

Aaron Wilson

✔@AaronWilson_NFL

Rick Smith on wanting to re-sign DeAndre Hopkins 'we certainly want to' do a long-term deal

10:13 AM - 2 Mar 2017

But then there's this:

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 1h1 hour ago
Rick Smith: "We are absolutely intent on re-signing [DeAndre Hopkins]. When that happens is up for debate but he’s definitely in our plans."

So, what does that mean? He's going to be a free agent after this season. This is one of the things that frustrates me about Smith, and I'm sure it's extremely frustrating to Hopkins. It's like he's teasing these guys. That's like your boss walking into your office and he say's "we plan on giving you a pay raise, we're just not sure when". At that point, I'm updating my resume and circulating it around.

I thoroughly believe Hopkins underperformed in 2016. That said, if my boss was Rick Smith I wouldn't want to stick around. I'm starting to believe the best thing for both the Texans and Hopkins is to trade him. But I wouldn't trade him to anyone in the AFC unless it's Cleveland, Buffalo or the Jets. Maybe the Dolphins just to mess with the Pats.

Back