Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins New Contract....

IMO, 2015 was a fluke for Hopkins and the performances last year and game 1 appears to be the norm.
Dropped passes, zero ability to get separation, average, at best, speed. Another "great" signing by Smith.

IMO, 2015 was a fluke for Hopkins and the performances last year and game 1 appears to be the norm.
Dropped passes, zero ability to get separation, average, at best, speed. Another "great" signing by Smith.

= $49 million guaranteed.

Defenses have figured Hopkins out. They're very physical with him. They're willing to risk penalties against him just to get inside his head. And it works. He gets frustrated and starts dropping balls and making mental errors. He pointed at his chest after Watson threw the ball to him while he was running straight downfield as the pass sailed behind him and out of bounds.

But you don't have a chance at good, stable QB play without good, stable OL play.

A good coach can cover up some insufficient areas. A good qb can do the same. A good Oline can do it as well. A good running back can do it. Great WRs can make their qbs look a little better.

The problem is when you have all these mediocre parts together and especially the coach and GM.

Hopkins needs to play much better, but for 2yrs now its painfully obvious Obrien has no ******* clue how to scheme to get Hopkins open.

If he's considered a great WR, then the first thing he would do is catch the dang ball when it hits him in the hands....correct? When the QB's are running for their lives and do manage to get a pass off and it's dropped by their WR1, that can get into a QB's head just as much as a rush can.

Many folks on this board said I was wrong for recommending that the Texans entertain the idea of offering Hopkins in a trade for additional draft picks this year while his stock hadn't fully dropped. Not that it has gone down that far but it's not at the peak it was in 2015. I also mentioned that he was a WR2 at best b/c he didn't have the speed to separate and played more like a possession or slot WR.

The only scheme available to get Hopkins open...line him up in the slot and let him take advantage of the mismatch by incorporating the quick slants that could help cover up for the 5 guys they call an OL.

If you traded Hopkins who in the world is your number 1 WR? Yes I agree being a top notch WR you have to catch the ball but quite a few true superstar wr's led the NFL in drops.

I've also told people Hopkins wasn't a true number one as well. On the other forum you and I both were basically the only two members saying he wasn't.

If you traded Hopkins who in the world is your number 1 WR? Yes I agree being a top notch WR you have to catch the ball but quite a few true superstar wr's led the NFL in drops.

I've also told people Hopkins wasn't a true number one as well. On the other forum you and I both were basically the only two members saying he wasn't.

This style of thinking is for another GM who would know how to capitalize on trading Hopkins and then turning the picks into something special. I just couldn't trust RS with that mission. But, at this point...anyone could successfully be this teams #1 WR since the OL cannot give the QB the required pocket time to do any more damage than what 4-7 yard slants allow.

Last edited:
This style of thinking is for another GM who would know how to capitalize on trading Hopkins and then turning the picks into something special. I just couldn't trust RS with that mission. But, at this point...anyone could successfully be this teams #1 WR since the OL cannot give the QB the required pocket time to do any more damage than 4-7 yard slants allow.

At this point I don't trust anyone in that front office. Even the defense took a huge step back from last season. They couldn't generate any type of pass rush yesterday. So now I questioning the move that put Crennel in the booth and the promotion of Coach V to DC. Then they made a tier 2 receiver the highest paid and didn't address the most glaring need, offensive line. lol they are playing hard ball with Brown, in which now they have no other choice but to cave to his demands.

Hopkins is a solid WR. Not top-10, but one of the better ones. There is literally no threat on the outside to take the pressure off him. A solid veteran with speed on the other side would make a world of difference. D-Jack and Maclin were both free agents over the offseason. Hell, I would have been cool trading a ham sammich for Sammy Watkins, since that it still better than Jalen Strong somehow drawing a paycheck.

If the team had an OL that could handle their assignments...O'Brien could play with some 3-WR sets. In this set, I wouldn't hesitate to put a healthy Fuller and Strong/Miller on the outside and lineup Hopkins in the slot. I would like the mismatches this would create. If memory serves me...O'Brien lined Hopkins up in the slot a few times last season with very good results. Hey Bill, when Fuller is healthy there's no penalties for going back and trying something that worked. Oh! If I were you I'd throw caution to the wind since this is probably your least season if Game 1 is any indication of the season to come.

Hopkins in this game for whatever reason looked no different than last year. I'm still scratching my head as to how he managed to be signed to a contract that was entirely out of line to prior performance. This game, he was targeted 16 times, with only 7 receptions for 55 yards and 1 touchdown (4 yd pass). In those targetings, there were too many abysmal drops. And he still showed a worrisome inability to separate from his defenders.

Last edited:
Hopkins in this game for whatever reason looked no different than last year. I'm still scratching my head as to how he managed to be signed to a contract that was entirely out of line to prior performance. This game, he was targeted 16 times, with only 7 receptions for 55 yards and 1 touchdown (4 yd pass). In those targetings, there were too many abysmal drops. And he still showed a worrisome inability to separate from his defenders.

This can't be overstated. He's the highest paid WR. Antonio Brown had 11 targets yesterday. He caught all 11 for 185 yards.

Hopkins first catch came right before the half. He lost way too many 50-50 balls and that's his game. He is simply not consistent enough to warrant the kind of money he's getting paid which is why I didn't like this new contract.

Hopkins has gone back to catching the football like a untrained, untalented rookie.....................against his chest..............just watching the ball as it repeatedly bounces off of his chest. He only caught a couple of balls with his hands all night. Whether it's a response to his injury or not, it is not good..........especially as he has just been thrown crazy money with the high expectations of performing otherwise.

Back