Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hopkins New Contract....

Swing and a miss on this one. Brissett now plays for the Colts. Belichick does things the way he wants to and he appears to love Jimmy G as Brady's successor.

Easy killer, I didn't suggest the hypothetical. Was just running with what Jimmy would 'go the way of'.

Not unless the rest of the team along with the coaching staff is included in the trade. Get out here with that weak sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When all is said and done my Crystal Ball says the Colts will have the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

When all is said and done my Crystal Ball says the Colts will have the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Do you expect them to sweep the Texans? Or win any division games at all?

Do you expect them to sweep the Texans? Or win any division games at all?
I expect the Texans to sweep the Colts with or without Luck and the Colts to once again have the first pick in the draft in another QB rich draft. The COlts are a really BAD team. Why Grigson was FIRED!

I expect the Texans to sweep the Colts with or without Luck and the Colts to once again have the first pick in the draft in another QB rich draft. The COlts are a really BAD team. Why Grigson was FIRED!

Just asking because of your comment about them signing the Texans beater Brisset

Seemed like maybe you were implying that Brisset would beat the Texans again this year... and no I'm not putting words in your mouth

Well Andrew is a great QB when he plays healthy. But when he does not, not just he but the whole team suffers.

Well Andrew is a great QB when he plays healthy. But when he does not, not just he but the whole team suffers.

When a Hurricane blows thru ( sorry best analogy I can think of at the time ) it's not too hot in August

Just asking because of your comment about them signing the Texans beater Brisset

Seemed like maybe you were implying that Brisset would beat the Texans again this year... and no I'm not putting words in your mouth
No, just an FYI and would not be surprised if that was part of the Colts thinking to trade for Jacoby. The kid did play well as a rookie against the Texans. Of course I expected a few of the Kool Aid drinkers to get riled up.

Reactions: JB
No, just an FYI and would not be surprised if that was part of the Colts thinking to trade for Jacoby. The kid did play well as a rookie against the Texans. Of course I expected a few of the Kool Aid drinkers to get riled up.

I'm not riled up at all, was just trying to understand what your thoughts were on Colts vs Texans.

and I don't consider myself a kool aid drinker at all... I'm more in like with TK and 'Cak

I don't think they've done a good job in many areas, I think they've done a better job in some areas than you give them credit for

i cuss them weekly during the season but will always hope for the best

I wouldn't want to live thinking everything I like will always suck... to have no hope

So you enjoy having smoke blown up your hiney?

I don't know how you extrapolate such a thing, but I ain't buying what anyone is selling. I make my own opinions and sometimes those are rational and sometimes they're not. I'm human. Choosing to be a fan is choosing to dream... Imma dreamer. I think most of us here are or we wouldn't spend so much time here.

Others are into nightmares

or reality

It's sad when a nightmare is reality in your life

I'm not going to live there... If that is what some entertainment is then I'll read a good book or sleep or something.

It must really suck to enjoy being entertained by being miserable.

Sucks worse being entertained by making others miserable by design

I'm not riled up at all, was just trying to understand what your thoughts were on Colts vs Texans.

and I don't consider myself a kool aid drinker at all... I'm more in like with TK and 'Cak

I don't think they've done a good job in many areas, I think they've done a better job in some areas than you give them credit for

i cuss them weekly during the season but will always hope for the best

I wouldn't want to live thinking everything I like will always suck... to have no hope

There's hope

Hope that the Texans org changes the way they go about acquiring players.

There's hope

Or the the players they acquire get the job done.

If you were so good at being a talent evaluator you wouldn't be watching the games from the cheap seats

Or the the players they acquire get the job done.

If you were so good at being a talent evaluator you wouldn't be watching the games from the cheap seats

Great answer, this isn't about my talent evaluations, I'm not the one getting paid to acquire the talent on the Texans roster. Believe me the Texans roster would look a lot different if I did. Example: Because the ST's suck I would've carried 2 kickers. I could see this decision costing the Texans a couple of games this yr.

Doesn't change that the talent level isn't good enough to be a true contender.

You guys, too broad of brush to paint a clear picture. Specifically regarding Hopkins, they made the choice and got it right, props to organization then and now for resigning him.

There's hope

Maybe so. The man who's done a pretty good job getting the right people in the right places seem to like the job our talent acquisitioner is doing & since a lot of our players go on to other teams... starting, I assume there are other talent evaluators who like what Rick's been doing as well.

McNair's problem seems to be finding someone to coach those players. Well, Kubiak did a fine job on offense, Wade & RAC did a fine job on defense. We're waiting to see if Billy can do the job he was brought here to do.

Great answer, this isn't about my talent evaluations, I'm not the one getting paid to acquire the talent on the Texans roster. Believe me the Texans roster would look a lot different if I did. Example: Because the ST's suck I would've carried 2 kickers. I could see this decision costing the Texans a couple of games this yr.

Ok, see ya next year since you already know the outcome of this one. We can discuss the failings of the 2018 Texans then

Our ST don't suck b/c of our kickers, they suck b/c we can't get a reliable returner. You'd absolutely get roasted by the media for carrying 2 kickers. Most players on an NFL roster don't even consider those dudes football players...and you'd give up a roster spot to someone who could likely contribute more to carry 2? Lol, ok

Irvin himself last year made it too easy with his fumbles on ST against the pats.

Apart from that, who knows if we even win that first Titans game if we don't get that punt return from Fuller after Irvin was pulled.

It's sad when a nightmare is reality in your life

I'm not going to live there... If that is what some entertainment is then I'll read a good book or sleep or something.

It must really suck to enjoy being entertained by being miserable.

Sucks worse being entertained by making others miserable by design
You see it as a nightmare, sucking, being miserable...I don't...so you're happy and ecstaic that the Texans franchise is average, ordinary and just south of mediocre? it is what it is ... a simple fact of life....now what was it you wanted to say about Hopkins new contract?

Ok, see ya next year since you already know the outcome of this one. We can discuss the failings of the 2018 Texans then

This yr should be a humorous one and lead to a HC change. (To many posters delight.) Although it's pretty obvious what's going on in the Texans org.

Maybe so. The man who's done a pretty good job getting the right people in the right places seem to like the job our talent acquisitioner is doing & since a lot of our players go on to other teams... starting, I assume there are other talent evaluators who like what Rick's been doing as well.

McNair's problem seems to be finding someone to coach those players. Well, Kubiak did a fine job on offense, Wade & RAC did a fine job on defense. We're waiting to see if Billy can do the job he was brought here to do.

Kubiak/RAC would be an awesome combo... as coordinators. I think OB would handle being HC with those two working for him

Our ST don't suck b/c of our kickers, they suck b/c we can't get a reliable returner.

Irvin himself last year made it too easy with his fumbles on ST.

Apart from that, who knows if we even win that first Titans game if we don't get that punt return from Fuller after Irvin was pulled.

Well the coverage teams certainly suck and they changed K's because, 1. $$$$ 2. They need better kickoffs.

An improvement would be if they make the playoffs, not allowing a KR for a touchdown.

Our ST don't suck b/c of our kickers, they suck b/c we can't get a reliable returner. You'd absolutely get roasted by the media for carrying 2 kickers. Most players on an NFL roster don't even consider those dudes football players...and you'd give up a roster spot to someone who could likely contribute more to carry 2? Lol, ok

Irvin himself last year made it too easy with his fumbles on ST against the pats.

Our special teams suck right now because of a lack of discipline and talent. Not because of one or two out of 60+

The OL is awesome, deep and talented.

The WR's are even better, I mean a street FA added after camp started probably will be starting on Sunday.

The ST's are super, PFF rated them 30 out of 32 IIRC. That's a sign of fantastic depth there.

Kubiak/RAC would be an awesome combo... as coordinators. I think OB would handle being HC with those two working for him

As long as they could hire Gibbs as Ol coach and give him free reign.

You see it as a nightmare, sucking, being miserable...I don't...so you're happy and ecstaic that the Texans franchise is average, ordinary and just south of mediocre? it is what it is ... a simple fact of life....now what was it you wanted to say about Hopkins new contract?

So it's a good dream to you if your entertainment doesn't make you happy? If it's not entertaining you, then why do you exert so much effort?

Could it be that you enjoy seeing others hope fail? Or god forbid could you be one of those sick individuals that enjoy having their own dreams come crashing down?

Maybe you take it a lot more serious than I do... or maybe you're a troll that gets the jollies by baiting and trying to yank the chain of others? In either case I laugh

Our special teams suck right now because of a lack of discipline and talent. Not because of one or two out of 60+

Most teams special teams are chock full of guys who wouldn't be playing in the nfl if ST didn't exist.

What that means is talent is in short supply all over the league in that area. What separates most ST's is the returners.....or u can do like Seattle and put defensive starters out there.

The Texans aren't really that much more talent deficient there than anyone else. We had less talent out there years ago and Terrence Mathis became a pro bowler for us. He was special....too bad he was also knuckle head.

I don't think the returner is the problem, it's the blocking.

I think they're a team on the rise.

Most teams special teams are chock full of guys who wouldn't be playing in the nfl if ST didn't exist.

What that means is talent is in short supply all over the league in that area. What separates most ST's is the returners.....or u can do like Seattle and put defensive starters out there.

The Texans aren't really that much more talent deficient there than anyone else. We had less talent out there years ago and Terrence Mathis became a pro bowler for us. He was special....too bad he was also knuckle head.

sorry I was thinking more of the coverage aspect and the blocking aspect, both of which have sucked the entire existence of the Texans. Yeah a dynamic returner can make a difference. I think Todman was brought in to be that guy..

But overall it's talent depth wise and discipline on ST's

We have an incredibly low salary number at the QB position this year. That allows some leeway to increase your budget at other positions until you project the QB salaries to increase significantly

Our gunners take to long to get around their blockers. Their returnees usually have time to secure the ball, scan the field & make the first guy miss.

On returns, our blockers can't keep their gunners in front of them. Even when we double team. Our returnees don't get the opportunity to secure the ball, scan the field, & make a move.

On Kickoff returns, there just aren't any lanes to run in.

Talent may be an issue, but the bigger problem is schematic. Our guys just aren't prepared for what's going to happen.

Our gunners take to long to get around their blockers. Their returnees usually have time to secure the ball, scan the field & make the first guy miss.

On returns, our blockers can't keep their gunners in front of them. Even when we double team. Our returnees don't get the opportunity to secure the ball, scan the field, & make a move.

Talent may be an issue, but the bigger problem is schematic. Our guys just aren't prepared for what's going to happen.
And who's responsible for those problems?

And who's responsible for those problems?

I'd like to see how they practice special teams. I'd like to sit in on a couple of ST meetings & film study. We've had three special teams coaches & the problems are still the same. Ultimately it's gotta be the ST coaches boss & his bosses boss.

Sorry I'm just not buying that we are so much more talent deficient on ST than other teams are.

Guys like Wes Welker, Tyreke Hill and Antonio Brown started out on special teams and were so dynamic, they forced their respective head coaches to bring them into the fold heavily on the offensive side of the ball. The same can be said of that kid in Seattle. When was the last time if ever the Texans had a dynamic talent back there like that consistently to return? I'll answer for u NEVER. U Fuller only had a handful of opportunities to return last year while Irvin had most of those reps. Who had more TD's on ST's last year though? U need a guy back there who is fearless and can make the first guy miss b/c 9 out of 10 times those return wedges aren't going to be set up right.

Sorry I'm just not buying that we are so much more talent deficient on ST than other teams are.

Guys like Wes Welker, Tyreke Hill and Antonio Brown started out on special teams and were so dynamic, they forced their respective head coaches to bring them into the fold heavily on the offensive side of the ball. The same can be said of that kid in Seattle. When was the last time if ever the Texans had a dynamic talent back there like that consistently to return? I'll answer for u NEVER. U Fuller only had a handful of opportunities to return last year while Irvin had most of those reps. Who had more TD's on ST's last year though? U need a guy back there who is fearless and can make the first guy miss b/c 9 out of 10 times those return wedges aren't going to be set up right.

Wait, Welker and Brown are so good at returning kicks that they became the best receivers in football? Kinda got that one backwards, unless Dante Hall and Devin Hester are your follow up standouts. There are a few rare cases (like Hester and Hall), but ST is only fractionally about who who's got the rock - it's a unit. Welker is an example of safety because of his hands and he can work with any situation and any personnel. The opposite example would be either the Pats or Steelers (I forget) that used a 250lb returner for a few years with success because of great chemistry with his blocking unit.

We've had ample opportunities to make our ST's something to be feared. Trendon Holliday, Jacoby Jones, James Casey, Brian Braman, Charles James - and several other names I'm forgetting. Also Alfred Blue who is still on the roster and does more than most realize. The Texans' treat these players as simple backups to be moved as soon as a new UDFA shows promise with zero regard for their worth on special teams. So, they move on, we get a constant rotation of our back end players to fill the role, and a new batch next season. What position in football is made better by having a new group each season, and the leaders keep getting cut?

Last edited:

I agree with everything you said. We need a guy back there who is fearless. We need a guy who is dynamic. I bet if we gave a guy like Will Fuller more opportunities, he'd have better returns than Tyler Ervin. At the same time, when Ervin had opportunity to make the first guy miss, he got pretty good returns. Not Will Fuller returns, but pretty good returns. I'll be disappointed if Bruce Ellington isn't getting a lot of return opportunities.

Still, most of our returns are fair catches because our blockers can't block. It's only out of desperation that our guys take that chance of fielding the ball & making something happen. It's only out of desperation that we'll field our best returner, Will Fuller, or if you can remember Daneal Manning. That alone points to a problem our coaches have & what they think of special teams.

We've got a HOF punter who pulls his punches because our gunners can't get around their blockers. & I don't think our the 6th string DBs are slower than their 6th string DBs. Next time you're at the stadium, watch how their guys release off the line, then watch how our gunners release.

If I had to guess, & right now that's all it is, I think there is a fundamental flaw in the way we practice & prepare our guys for special teams. Like back when our DBs & DLmen were told not to bat balls down in practice, we had our balls batted down on Sundays & very few PDs on the back end.

Last edited:
Everybody here has their own agenda they try to push from time to time like noise in this thread for example.

That's all I'll say about that.

Having Hopkins signed long term brings much improved stability and strength to WR core going forward. Same will happen when Duane Brown returns. So just two star players will help resolve both troubled position groups as they stand.

Special teams is really an indictment of your core depth of roster. Shows you just how deep your talent pool is and has been focus of Bill O'Brian's tenure towards both roster cuts and drafting. Fuller injury is a hard pill to swallow because you still need your star special teams players. TK is right in his observation it's schematic responsibility of every special teams player to seal & block assigned player(s) in his lane, depth has improved but now, once again, searching for that spark that ignites big returns.

I agree with everything you said. We need a guy back there who is fearless. We need a guy who is dynamic. I bet if we gave a guy like Will Fuller more opportunities, he'd have better returns than Tyler Ervin. At the same time, when Ervin had opportunity to make the first guy miss, he got pretty good returns. Not Will Fuller returns, but pretty good returns. I'll be disappointed if Bruce Ellington isn't getting a lot of return opportunities.

Still, most of our returns are fair catches because our blockers can't block. It's only out of desperation that our guys take that chance of fielding the ball & making something happen. It's only out of desperation that we'll field our best returner, Will Fuller, or if you can remember Daneal Manning. That alone points to a problem our coaches have & what they think of special teams.

We've got a HOF punter who pulls his punches because our gunners can't get around their blockers. & I don't think our the 6th string DBs are slower than their 6th string DBs. Next time you're at the stadium, watch how their guys release off the line, then watch how our gunners release.

If I had to guess, & right now that's all it is, I think there is a fundamental flaw in the way we practice & prepare our guys for special teams. Like back when our DBs & DLmen were told not to bat balls down in practice, we had our balls batted down on Sundays & very few PDs on the back end.

I agree with this post but the Texans have been bad thru 3 ST's coaches, so this makes me think that the main problem is talent level/lack of depth on the roster.

Because of Ellington's history of hamstring issues and specifically on PR's I dont want to see him as a PR.

Back