Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins New Contract....

Looks like a reasonable deal to me , in terms of market value / yearly average of comparable players - being on average below that number.

We are not the Patriots.

We don't have a HOF QB that can make you look like a competent receiver in the NFL.

We don't have a HOF coach/GM either

No it's not an overpay, please remember what this young man had to endure over the last what 4 season. Now he is paid for his due diligence and hard work.

They should try to operate like the Pats do. I thought that was the reason they hired BOB in the 1st place. Obviously McNair doesn't want to really operate like the Pats/Kraft do.

They should try to operate like the Pats do. I thought that was the reason they hired BOB in the 1st place. Obviously McNair doesn't want to really operate like the Pats/Kraft do.

Sure, tell us where to find a hall of fame arguable GOAT QB and we can operate like the Pats.

Yes, but why is that better if we are in "win now" mode

Until we have a QB 'win now' is hype.

This is good cap management, leaving more money available for once we have an established QB.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that. We've been in the working class for a mighty long time. And you know every company you've worked for govern themselves differently.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that. We've been in the working class for a mighty long time. And you know every company you've worked for govern themselves differently.

Agreed

And the Texans have put an unsuccessful product on the field and refuse to try to fully emulate the successful way the Pats go about their business. So you can expect more of the same.

Sure, tell us where to find a hall of fame arguable GOAT QB and we can operate like the Pats.

Not just that but salary plays a huge role. The $10M difference between Brady's cap hit (20th) and Flacco (highest) allows the Patriots to do a lot of things that other teams cannot do.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

So yeah we need to find a GOAT QB and he'd have to take less than market value for the majority of his career. What's a prime Brady worth?

The Texans didn't pay Andre Johnson's $1 million roster bonus in 2014 after he missed offseason (holdout seeking new contact). So expect minimum of Brown forfeiting his 250,000. However Rick is probably dangling 40,000 per day fine as null and void if Duane returns before opener. This coupled with minimal increased guarantee money and added year might just be compromise both sides could agree on if they get off high horse.

Agreed

And the Texans have put an unsuccessful product on the field and refuse to try to fully emulate the successful way the Pats go about their business. So you can expect more of the same.

I can't argue against this statement. I would say they have tried. Plus I honestly believe if Matt doesn't get hurt, we would've seen a better product. You don't go10-6 & 12-4 and then fall completely off the earth. At that time we were heading in the right direction.

Cushing injury was huge as well during that time.

Agreed

For what it's worth, Pats tend to have increasing cap hits with their contracts.

With Hopkins, it's not really declining It's $18m the first year and basically $14m the rest.

Not just that but salary plays a huge role. The $10M difference between Brady's cap hit (20th) and Flacco (highest) allows the Patriots to do a lot of things that other teams cannot do.

So yeah we need to find a GOAT QB and he'd have to take less than market value for the majority of his career. What's a prime Brady worth?

The Pats are probably going to hedge their bets and franchise tag Jimmy G this offseason. So they will have more $$$$ than anybody tied up at the QB position than any team in the NFL. I'm still pretty sure that BB will find a way to shore up whatever weaknesses the Pats have this season, next offseason.

I would take present day Brady, he's playing at as high a level as he ever has. With the way he takes care of his body and his love of football I can see Brady playing at a high level for another 2/3 yrs if he doesn't get hurt.

Not a huge fan of the actual numbers in the contract. Hopkins isn't an of the chain number 1 wr. But, I'm definately a fan of greasing as many wheels as we can for our shiny new qb's development. And the out doesn't look too painful if/when the time comes.

The Pats are probably going to hedge their bets and franchise tag Jimmy G this offseason. So they will have more $$$$ than anybody tied up at the QB position than any team in the NFL. I'm still pretty sure that BB will find a way to shore up whatever weaknesses the Pats have this season, next offseason.

I would take present day Brady, he's playing at as high a level as he ever has. With the way he takes care of his body and his love of football I can see Brady playing at a high level for another 2/3 yrs if he doesn't get hurt.

Not bad considering considering what they’ve paid the QB position during this era.

The Pats are probably going to hedge their bets and franchise tag Jimmy G this offseason.

I think you're letting your affinity for Garoppolo color your opinion. That might be reasonable if they were going to squeeze one more year out of Brady. But barring injury Brady plans on playing several years more. So franchising Garoppolo makes no sense.

I think you're letting your affinity for Garoppolo color your opinion. That might be reasonable if they were going to squeeze one more year out of Brady. But barring injury Brady plans on playing several years more. So franchising Garoppolo makes no sense.

We shall see,

I've read BB loves Jimmy G.

These two statements seem contradictory. If Brady can (and by all intents and purposes he clearly wants to) play for a few more years, franchising Jimmy G for one year only makes sense from an injury insurance policy perspective.

Current franchise tag is $21.3 million. Brady will make $22 million next year without another restructure. I don't share your confidence that Kraft is going to pay $44 million for the QB position next year. Or even $35 million if Brady does another team-friendly restructure.

At this particular moment, I'm not happy with this contract. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. IMO, Hopkins is not in the same tier as Antonio Brown, Julio Jones or OBJ. Hopkins has difficulty getting separation without pushing off and lacks speed.
Hopkins is the same kind of receiver that Raymond Berry was with Colts. He can be elite with the right QB and chemistry. Hopkins future will be directly linked with the Texans QB situation. I expect good things this year with Savage. But another thread discusses Watson's issue with accuracy.

The best if not the only 'right now" fix is Watson becomes the GOAT while we have him on a cheap 5 year contract. Second best would be Savage becoming a very good player if not GOAT but willing to remain in Houston for 5-6 additional seasons for home team friendly deal; which is possible even if I am laughing into my sleeve.

So you're saying the Texans are paying for the past? Seems like a lousy business plan to me
Since no one can actually see the future everyone pays for the past. Be it prior extensive experience or past superior performance, bosses pay for what you learned/did in the past and are hoping that experience/performance will carry into the future.
:D

Last edited:
Since no one can actually see the future everyone pays for the past. Be it prior extensive experience or past superior performance, bosses pay for what you learned/did in the past and are hoping that experience/performance will carry into the future.

I was referring to his comment

No it's not an overpay, please remember what this young man had to endure over the last what 4 season. Now he is paid for his due diligence and hard work.

That he is getting paid for his past work, not what is expected of him in the future..... perhaps it's just the wording that struck me wrong, or even semantics, but he got paid for what his future performance is expected to be, not for what he endured over the past 4 seasons

I was referring to his comment

That he is getting paid for his past work, not what is expected of him in the future..... perhaps it's just the wording that struck me wrong, or even semantics, but he got paid for what his future performance is expected to be, not for what he endured over the past 4 seasons

He also got paid because of past performances too JB. Come on dude, you know we get raises. If he doesn't perform on the level of a number one receiver, he doesn't get a fat contract of this magnitude.

He also got paid because of past performances too JB. Come on dude, you know we get raises. If he doesn't perform on the level of a number one receiver, he doesn't get a fat contract of this magnitude.

Sure if he didn't perform in the past he wouldn't have got an extension. His expected future performance is why he got the big bucks, not what he's put up with in the past. His first contract paid him for what he achieved in the past, his new contract is based on future expectations

Sure if he didn't perform in the past he wouldn't have got an extension. His expected future performance is why he got the big bucks, not what he's put up with in the past. His first contract paid him for what he achieved in the past, his new contract is based on future expectations

Both played a factor JB.

And just what is the basis of those "future expectations"??

Both played a factor JB.
But that is not how you stated or implied in your original comment. You said

Nothing there about future performance

And just what is the basis of those "future expectations"??
unrealistic-expectations-300x206.jpg

AAEAAQAAAAAAAA2KAAAAJGJkZmVmNWZmLThkOTktNDg0MS04ZDM0LWE2YTQ1Mjc2NzJhYw.jpg

What I worry about is what has screwed this team up too often............the picture in the heads of our FO of "how it's supposed to be."

the unrealistic expectations are the ones fans have...
that if THEY were running things they'd have some magical, one-size-fits-all way to run a team and they'd always draft all-pros and always win the SB and always have lots and lots of draft picks and never be in salary cap hell.
That's what the hell is unrealistic.

Fact is this team is run by Bob McNair with his money... who got rich enough to buy an NFL team by making decisions he thought were right. To think he's not going to stop making decisions he thinks are right is where your disappointment equation comes into play (I like that by the way :)) I'm pretty sure all his money-making decisions didn't pan out and he understands all his football decisions won't pan out. But he won't stop making them. It's what worked for him, why should he.

If it isn't working FAST enough for you (not you literally), then save your nickels and dimes and buy the Texans from him.

and if/when you do, PLEASE come up with a more creative team name.

Last edited:
that if THEY were running things they'd have some magical, one-size-fits-all way to run a team and they'd always draft all-pros and always win the SB and always have lots and lots of draft picks and never be in salary cap hell.

Fact is this team is run by Bob McNair with his money... who got rich enough to buy an NFL team by making decisions he thought were right. To think he's not going to stop making decisions he thinks are right is where your disappointment equation comes into play (I like that by the way :)) I'm pretty sure all his money-making decisions didn't pan out and he understands all his football decisions won't pan out. But he won't stop making them. It's what worked for him, why should he.

If it isn't working FAST enough for you (not you literally), then save your nickels and dimes and buy the Texans from him.

I've been sending McNair my nickels and dimes towards the purchase for years....................But he keeps upping the ante...................Every time that I am almost there and EXPECT to finally consummate the deal, I am DISAPPOINTED as McNair finds a way to cleverly take it out of my reach. Dang!!!:D

I've been sending McNair my nickels and dimes towards the purchase for years....................But he keeps upping the ante...................Every time that I am almost there and EXPECT to finally consummate the deal, I am DISAPPOINTED as McNair finds a way to cleverly take it out of my reach. Dang!!!:D
I feel your pain.
Sounds like a couple of women I've dated.

I don't know if it is unrealistic expectations as much as it is holding the Houston Texans accountable. Just because Bob McNair is wealthy and owns the Texans does not mean he has a higher football I.Q. McNair has done a good job on his very own showing that he does not. When McNair signs Ed Reed without consulting the coaches it is not unreasonable or unrealistic for fans to say SNAFU Bob. When McNair picks up David Carr's option for $10MM and tells his new HC Carr is your QB, it is not unreasonable or unrealistic for fans to say SNAFU Bob. In 2010 when McNair said we have the money and we are going to spend it, then immediately puts Texans in salary cap hell for the next 3 years, it is not unreasonable or unrealistic for fans to say SNAFU Bob. Fans would think McNair would learn from his mistake but apparently not after Guaranteeing $51 MILLION for Miller and Osweiler. It is not unreasonable or unrealistic for fans to say SNAFU Bob. And it is not unreasonable or unrealistic for fans to suggest that if McNair had more patience, a four year business plan instead on his annual one year plan, he would have a much better football team and a lot less SNAFUS. The DISAPPOINTMENTS are Bob McNair's doing. The LOW expectations have been deservedly earned.

Last edited:
you bet your bottom dollar that when Belichick thinks Jacoby is ready to be the #2, Garappolo will go the way of Mallett and all the others that held the clipboard while Brady played.

Sure, because they won't pay both he and Brady starter money. But, he'll fetch a 1/2 rnd draft pick all on his own, unlike the rest of Tom's number 2's.

Someone please tell me exactly what "Hold the Houston Texans accountable" or any other sports team means please

I hold the Texans accountable for my mental state on Sundays during the season.

Reactions: JB
Someone please tell me exactly what "Hold the Houston Texans accountable" or any other sports team means please
Translation:
"whine about it"
LOL

Sure, because they won't pay both he and Brady starter money. But, he'll fetch a 1/2 rnd draft pick all on his own, unlike the rest of Tom's number 2's.
I don't doubt he'll get something.
I'm not going to predict what it'll be because the draft niks have been telling us how wonderful next year's draft class will be. That and the historically sucky record Brady's backups have had once they leave the Belichick offensive cocoon. Don't think folks haven't been paying attention. Why give up a 1 or a 2 AND have to pay Garappolo starter cash when you can get a promising youngun on a rookie contract and groom him themselves?
But then again, all it takes is one sucker.

I don't doubt he'll get something.
I'm not going to predict what it'll be because the draft niks have been telling us how wonderful next year's draft class will be. That and the historically sucky record Brady's backups have had once they leave the Belichick offensive cocoon. Don't think folks haven't been paying attention. Why give up a 1 or a 2 AND have to pay Garappolo starter cash when you can get a promising youngun on a rookie contract and groom him themselves?

- What Brady's backups have historically done has no causal bearing on how Garroppolo will do.

- Because you (they) trust, and in this case feel better about, what you (they) see on film from Garroppolo. Not saying you have to agree with any front office feeling this way either, just that that's why they'd do so.

The pathetic rumblings of "fans" with oversized egos to go with their unrealistic expectations and delusions that their opinions actually matter to reality. Fact is, fans don't hold ANY professional major sports team accountable. They can do stupid crap like rant on the internet, threaten to boycott (most never go through with it), burn jerseys, post mean things on the Twitter feed of players/coaches/management, or other shenanigans in an attempt to stroke said egos, but none of that will ever matter.

Swing and a miss on this one. Brissett now plays for the Colts. Belichick does things the way he wants to and he appears to love Jimmy G as Brady's successor.

Swing and a miss on this one. Brissett now plays for the Colts. Belichick does things the way he wants to and he appears to love Jimmy G as Brady's successor.
Cleveland offered a 1st Rd for JG and BB said thanks but no thanks. Colts got them a QB that can beat the Texans.

Back