Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins New Contract....

But then there's this:

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 1h1 hour ago
Rick Smith: "We are absolutely intent on re-signing [DeAndre Hopkins]. When that happens is up for debate but he’s definitely in our plans."

So, what does that mean? He's going to be a free agent after this season. This is one of the things that frustrates me about Smith, and I'm sure it's extremely frustrating to Hopkins. It's like he's teasing these guys. That's like your boss walking into your office and he say's "we plan on giving you a pay raise, we're just not sure when". At that point, I'm updating my resume and circulating it around.

I thoroughly believe Hopkins underperformed in 2016. That said, if my boss was Rick Smith I wouldn't want to stick around. I'm starting to believe the best thing for both the Texans and Hopkins is to trade him. But I wouldn't trade him to anyone in the AFC unless it's Cleveland, Buffalo or the Jets. Maybe the Dolphins just to mess with the Pats.

I don't think Smith can say much else to the media. It really isn't a two way street to communicate to the media, the players and their agents can complain about not getting the contract offers but the front office can't go to the media and tell them, "we made Hopkins what we feel is a reasonable offer and he refused, we are still negotiating" which would likely be the truth. IMO, Smith has done a pretty good job handling contracts, and can't blame him for being McNairs puppet for personnel direction either. I have also heard first hand that Smith is a great boss. Not all the players love him because he is a tough negotiator, but that's what I prefer him to be.

I don't think Smith can say much else to the media. It really isn't a two way street to communicate to the media, the players and their agents can complain about not getting the contract offers but the front office can't go to the media and tell them, "we made Hopkins what we feel is a reasonable offer and he refused, we are still negotiating" which would likely be the truth. IMO, Smith has done a pretty good job handling contracts, and can't blame him for being McNairs puppet for personnel direction either. I have also heard first hand that Smith is a great boss. Not all the players love him because he is a tough negotiator, but that's what I prefer him to be.

I think he should have just left the bolded part out. It means something and it just leads to speculation.

I do want Smith to be tough in negotiations and the Brock Osweiler contract has Bob McNair written all over it. Remember when the Texans announced they had signed Brock? The skepticism on that deal across the NFL was loud and wide spread. Again, McNair thought he was smarter than everyone else and Smith needs to step up. Unless he himself was all on board. But I don't think O'Brien was. And if O'Brien doesn't think a specific QB will work in his system, he should have a say so, instead of "we just do what the boss tells us." Parcells and Belichick wouldn't stand for it. Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys because he and Jones clashed on personnel decisions.

I was really hoping things would be different with the organization with O'Brien being here. But it's actually worse. O'Brien is just a yes man to McNair/Smith.

Brandon Marshall is being released.

I'd be interested in signing Marshall and exploring trading Hopkins for picks or some ready talent if there is.

I mean, ideally I'd have both and trade that worthless loser Will Fuller, but whatever.

Like I've been saying since 2010 the Texans will never be serious contenders with Ricky McNair as GM.

I truly feel for Kubes/BOB/Next HC etc....

The only chance that BOB has next yr is if Savage (If Bob/Ricky McNair let him.) tears it up next yr. (Doubtful)

I'm almost wanting Ricky to build up the OL and upgrade the defense in the draft and FA and then draft a QB in 2018 (When the QB's are supposedly going to be better) and have everything in place for the rookie QB and the new HC, so they can grow together.

But according to McNair they are going to draft a QB this yr, what are the odds that Ricky gets this QB choice correct? Given Ricky's history in selecting/abandoning the QB position I would say he's got about a 20% chance of finding a franchise QB. At the craps table that's called blind luck.

For the record if I were GM after last season Nuk would have to play out his contract and then I would address his situation either thru tagging him/signing him to a longterm contract/letting him walk.

Tings I know for sure Muk is no Jones/Green/Brown/Evans/Nelson etc... or Edelman for that matter. Certainly not worth top 10 WR $$$$. Guess what those guys have that Nuk doesn't? RAC

Last edited:
That money's a lot to live up to. No room for bobbled balls, lazy route running or poor effort. I hope that this "hand injury" is not a foretelling of his future, and does not end up an excuse for not living up to his contract. Last year he dealt with hamstring and knee issues. Can no longer afford the injury bug. This is not a contract for a middle of the road player. It is for the elite of the elite. Can he be the man with or without a solid #2? We'll soon find all this out. Best wishes to DHop on his new contract..............now go get 'em!

That money's a lot to live up to. No room for bobbled balls, lazy route running or poor effort. I hope that this "hand injury" is not a foretelling of his future, and does not end up an excuse for not living up to his contract. Last year he dealt with hamstring and knee issues. Can no longer afford the injury bug. This is not a contract for a middle of the road player. It is for the elite of the elite. Can he be the man with or without a solid #2? We'll soon find all this out. Best wishes to DHop on his new contract..............now go get 'em!

Now go get that loose ball! Or at least try.

I approve of this deal

So does his agent. I'm not so sure how I feel about it, though. Some of it has to do with the QB situation that I am still unsure of. Savage and Watson...eh, I don't know. Hopkins doesn't have great speed, he doesn't get open often enough, he isn't known for breaking tackles (at all) and really has underwhelmed me in effort. He lost some jump balls last year that he wasn't before.

It's high but I think it's a good deal. Will probably look cheaper as other WRs like Odell get paid.

He's young, he rarely gets injured, we know he's good and he's getting better.

Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26 14m14 minutes ago

.@DeAndreHopkins on what his mother said about his extension:"The 1st thing she did was say a prayer like she always does to watch over me."

DImb1ixVoAA9eO6.jpg

In a previous thread my prediction was 5 year 70 - 75 million with $30m guaranteed with $75 m average of $15 per season. His avg for this new extension $16.2. Reasonably close in total money. The 19 million more was way over mine but will be interested in how guaranteed paid. Could work out different but $81-49= $32 + (prorated 49 g divided by 5 contract years)= $9.8 per year+ 6.4= $16.2 Salary cap for 2018. *Note the way contract is worked out could rearrange these figures. Some of it could be moved to 2017 cap # as it is $7.19. Also, I think like JJ's was the first year had a team option to convert some to bonus to be paid immediately. It will be nice to see how much of guaranteed is bonus of some type.

Hop is very good, but this contract is for the elite of the elite. He's likely a top 10 WR, but is he a top 2 or 3 WR? In my mind no. Hope he steps it up about 3 notches and becomes a true beast because he's now being paid like it. Right now - my first thought is they overpaid. Hop got one over on Ricky.

Hop is very good, but this contract is for the elite of the elite. He's likely a top 10 WR, but is he a top 2 or 3 WR? In my mind no. Hope he steps it up about 3 notches and becomes a true beast because he's now being paid like it. Right now - my first thought is they overpaid. Hop got one over on Ricky.
I'm guessing they are believing he will repeat his first three seasons averaging over 1000 yds. It just has to be they think his 2016 aberration was not on him. If they had any question about him "easing up" for lack of a better description, they are willing to look past it. I am ok with the contract just wanted to wait a few games to see how he performs.

I'm guessing they are believing he will repeat his first three seasons averaging over 1000 yds. It just has to be they think his 2016 aberration was not on him. If they had any question about him "easing up" for lack of a better description, they are willing to look past it. I am ok with the contract just wanted to wait a few games to see how he performs.
They better have figured on him being at least as good as in his 2014 and 2015 seasons. Anything less..........

They better have figured on him being at least as good as in his 2014 and 2015 seasons. Anything less..........
Yes but like Brown, Hopkins is the best at his position with questionable players behind him. I think Nuk was extremely fortunate that team had plenty of cash to push his way. Like you my friend, I hope he earns it. We were hoping that Fuller and Braxton Miller would take defense away from Hopkins a bit but that isn't looking so good.

How's the guaranteed money spread out?

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, here are the full terms:

1. Signing bonus of $7.5 million.

2. 2017 roster bonus of $8.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2017 base salary of $8 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2018 base salary of $12.5 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2019 base salary of $12.5 million, guaranteed for injury at signing. It becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2018 league year.

6. 2020 base salary of $12.5 million.

7. 2021 base salary of $13.5 million.

8. 2022 base salary of $13.915 million.

9. Salary de-escalators of $250,000 per year from 2018 through 2022, based on participation in the offseason program. (That’s a standard term for Texans deals.)

And here are the highlights of the contract:

1. Cash flow of $24 million in 2017, $36.5 million through 2018, and $49 million through 2019. That’s the highest three-year payout for a receiver in league history, barely edging out Antonio Brown‘s $48.91 million.

2. $36.5 million is fully guaranteed at signing, which tops all current receiver deals (Julio Jones had the prior high at $36 million).

3. By March of 2018, $49 million will be fully guaranteed. That tops all current receiver deals; former Lions receiver Calvin Johnson collected $51.25 million over three — although he eventually paid more than $1 million back, when he retired.

4. Given Hopkins’ overall performance (especially in light of last year, with 954 receiving yards and four touchdowns), the contract is an eye-popping amount, with payment largely based on potential and projected performance if/when the quarterback position calms down.

5. The deal has a new-money average of $16.2 million, putting him ahead of all receivers except Brown, who averages $17 million.

Hopkins is under contract for six years, with three of them as a practical matter fully guaranteed. After 2019, the team will hold a year-to-year option for 2020, 2021, and 2022. LINK

He will be 28 (June) of his 3rd year of this deal. He turned 25 June 6th and that his huge up front money, reminds me of Osweiler's in that he can be dumped if necessary but including the not to be sneezed at $7.9 million for 2017. $8 m if Hop has a very good season sort of makes up in my mind for last season.

His main problem is that hes been dealing with a broken qb since day one. No MRI, no surgery can fix that.

Meh. I don't think he's thaaaaaaat good. But when you have players like Hopkins you have to keep them even if you have to overpay to do so.

Glad this bullshit is over.

Hope Ricky got this right.

Seems like an overpay.

Not how the Pats go about paying their WR's, but hey what do the Pats know?

We are not the Patriots.

We don't have a HOF QB that can make you look like a competent receiver in the NFL.

We don't have a HOF coach/GM either

No it's not an overpay, please remember what this young man had to endure over the last what 4 season. Now he is paid for his due diligence and hard work.

Last edited:
No it's not an overpay, please remember what this young man had to endure over the last what 4 season. Now he is paid for his due diligence and hard work.

So you're saying the Texans are paying for the past? Seems like a lousy business plan to me

Main thing is, I'm glad he'll stay on the team. But, glad it wasn't my money, 'cause he isn't worth it.

He will be once he has a QB who's halfway competent. Osweiler was that bad. He made Demaryius Thomas look bad. Nuk will bounce back big time.

Last edited:
I am conflicted about this. On the one hand, he is our biggest playmaker on offense - we couldn't afford to lose him. On the other hand, I don't like paying a WR that kind of money. Especially when there are several other WRs out there clearly better than him. And he just had an off year (QB played a big part in that).

When looking at the salary cap, you want your money in other positions - QB, LT, pass rusher should be the highest paid players. But that is in a perfect world. In that sense I was weary about paying that much for Miller, and I am weary about paying this much for Hopkins. But I guess we just have to play the hand we are dealt.

I think with Hopkins at his current ability level you can live with the contract. Even if you want to call it an overpay now in a couple of years it won't be and I can live with overpaying a top player even if he's not considered to be in the elites.

I think as a team you can afford to overpay a guy like Hopkins if you indeed consider this an overpay.

What you can't afford to do is overpay guys like Brock or total flameouts or guys who are constantly injured.

At this particular moment, I'm not happy with this contract. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. IMO, Hopkins is not in the same tier as Antonio Brown, Julio Jones or OBJ. Hopkins has difficulty getting separation without pushing off and lacks speed.

At this particular moment, I'm not happy with this contract. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. IMO, Hopkins is not in the same tier as Antonio Brown, Julio Jones or OBJ. Hopkins has difficulty getting separation without pushing off and lacks speed.

True on most of that, but put the ball close to him and he usually catches it. Look at his 11 TD season, most of those were highlight reel TDs. The boy has some hands on him, and a knack for making the tough catches.

So you're saying the Texans are paying for the past? Seems like a lousy business plan to me

Well I guess you are saying every business that practices this same plan is lousy. When I worked at SLB they gave me a $4.00 raise and a $200 dollar rig bonus for pretty the same reason. They are one of the top Oil n Gas companies in the world.

True on most of that, but put the ball close to him and he usually catches it. Look at his 11 TD season, most of those were highlight reel TDs. The boy has some hands on him, and a knack for making the tough catches.
He didn't catch a number of passes last year that he did make in prior years. You can't rely on circus catches that are made more likely due to the QB having to place the ball in a spot only Hopkins can make a play on due to Hopkins' inability to create separation.

Only question I have is why front load it? That uses up our capspace for this year.

Back