Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

I think a case can be made for them to select a qb this year. I didn't really weigh this out myself in my intial opinion on this, the problem with waiting until next year is there's too much unknown.

you don't know where you'll be selecting
you know very little about the prospects & how they'll shake out next year...
you don't know where this team will be....

Stroud, Young and Levis...that's about as good of crop of prospects at the position as you're going to get. 2 very accomplished guys and the freakish talent that seemingly came out of nowhere. Truthfully it all just depends on how much weight you assign to certain aspects of each when evaluating.

If we're talking accomplishments
Young
Stroud
Levis

If we're talking pure measureables, arm talent & upside
Levis
Stroud
Young

If we're talking best blend of accomplishments, measureables & arm talent
Stroud
Young
Levis
Or just hope Purdy has a UCL sprain not a rupture and Lance can be had for a 3rd rounder as rumored

You're wrong I do like Ryans and think he's got a chance to become successful. I'm just not waving pompoms like you are. I can see potential pitfalls and what I really don't like is how Tommy Boy and his gold digger wife went about the hiring process. The fact that they're proven idiots doesn't bother you when it comes to this hire

Again my issue isn't with Ryans or his hiring. My issue is with the McNair's.

You do realize that those idiots are the owners and won’t be selling the Texans anytime soon. Also worth bringing to the table, the Texans group of idiots were going to give their thumbs up or down on a new HC regardless of who it was.

I was on the Payton bandwagon until word started getting out as to what he and the Saints wanted from the team who decided to seriously pursue him…..too many picks to the Saints, too much power to Payton, and too much money on his contract demands. The money was no issue to me b/c that’s in the McNair’s swim lane if they decide the gains outweigh the cost. My biggest issues was the total control and the cost of draft assets. It was very important to make sure the Texans weren’t going to make another OB type of mistake….only this time the cost would’ve been tremendous.

Personally, I didn’t think DeMeco would even be interested in interviewing for the Texans job, much like I was surprised Payton decided to do an interview. It might be interesting to find out if DeMeco agreed to an interview before Payton’s Zoom interview. If Caserio successfully convinced DeMeco to take the interview, it just might explain the crappy interview Payton got from the Texans. The success of getting DeMeco to the table is all Caserio’s doing…..the patching up of personal feelings during Ryans interview was the McNair’s doing. The team got this done, and appear to have successfully taken DeMeco away from the Walton’s and Denver. Nice victory for the Texans.

Last edited:
I am always surprised how people can just make things for their narrative.

We saw what Daboll did with Allen and then the same thing happens with Daniels and somehow that is magically Kafka? And somehow people want to imply Kafka had something to do with Mahomes?

It is one thing to interpret things differently and it’s another to make things up.

Ehh, Kafka did have at least a little something to do with Mahomes..basically cut his teeth as a coach with Mahomes..was there the entire time as his qb coach in 1 respect or another. He was also the reasoning behind KC low key trying to force Bienemy out to go ahead and leave for a HC gig..they wanted to promote him. When that didn't happen, he left.

Where people are assigning too much credit is to Daboll in saying that he's the guy that somehow turned Allen around..I think that's a bit overstated if not downright misleading. For 1, Daboll got there in 2018 & Allen was horrible as a rookie. Where was Daboll's magic then? The next year is when Allen turned it around...& that just so happens to coincide with when Allen's current OC Ken Dorsey got there....... as his qb coach. Daboll only gets credit for being able to duplicate a formula he had up in Buffalo when he hired another former qb & guy with qb developmental experience to coach up Jones in Kafka. It has worked out perfectly b/c Kafka in leaving KC got a promotion & his name is out there for HC gigs...& when Dorsey leaves for a HC gig next year, expect Daboll's longtime colleague Shea Tierney to be the next guy up. He wasn't ready before, but i think Daboll will push him into the position.

Are we really going to hire DeMeco? I loved DeMeco as a player for us (he's the only Texans jersey I ever bought - battle red) and he might end up a solid NFL HC, however, I'm not sold on him being a good fit for us. There is a proven formula out there - offensive HCs are much better suited to bring along rookie QBs. This smells like a Cal move to me - bring in a great historical player for us that is a hot HC candidate. I don't think Caserio is calling this shot but after 2 botched hires he probably shouldn't be - he needs to hit on those 2 firsts this year that's what he needs to worry about. If the Texans were in the NFC then I could possibly see this being a real plan but the AFC has Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, and our arch nemisis Watson - all with much more talented rosters. Don't sleep on the Ravens either with some talent and a SB winning HC. Belicheck will be hovering around playoff contention as well. Also, who knows maybe Denver will finally get their shiiii together too. This is not a plan to get us to a Super Bowl level. My plan would be to take the best OC we could get as our new HC, take best QB at #2, best playmaker at #12 (whether WR or TE), fill in some of our other glaring weaknesses in the 2nd/3rd round or with free agency and roll from there. Try to emulate what Cincy is doing by getting the offense REALLY rolling with great skill players on rookie deals - at least GO for it. We have our RB, now lets get QB/WR. DeMeco has Cal written all over it if you ask me. Cheap thrills that won't pay the bills. Up next will be Tunsil getting ANOTHER record breaking contract and probably signing Garopollo to a 2 year $50M contract so we can "compete now" lololo!!!!! We might be contending for AFC South banners after this though - oh well, same ole. Man, its hard as heck to be a fan of this franchise.

I'm thinking that our own challenges with offense have led us to believe offensive minded coaches are the only solution to being stable and competitive. This post I'm quoting just named a bunch of successful teams led by defensive minded guys. Not to mention the Steelers.

That's 1 helluva risk. If Meco is as advertised & we see some growth in this team next year, we're very likely not in position to select 1 of the top qbs in the next draft...which would also be the last year we have 2 1st round picks as well. If we were to get 1 of those guys, we'd be giving up draft capital to get 1 of them..which i'm not sure that'd be a wise move given the talent level of this team.

How many games to you expect them to win next yr?

That kinda determines how much risk is involved.

Their will be 3 QB's in next yrs draft that I like more than any QB in this yrs draft. If Ryans trades down, then he should have three 1sts to trade up to get a QB in the 2024 draft. There's not as much risk as it appears on the surface. In fact I can make a case there's less risk in waiting than picking a QB in this yrs draft. Many disagree with me about the QB's and the degree of risk in waiting to draft a QB.

95% is on his merits, just so happened he was a popular and really good ex-player which goes in that 5% bucket with a handful of other reasons.

I would go with 50/50 or to 70/30 marketing over substance. Maybe the McNair's will get lucky.

How many games to you expect them to win next yr?

That kinda determines how much risk is involved.

Their will be 3 QB's in next yrs draft that I like more than any QB in this yrs draft. If Ryans trades down, then he should have three 1sts to trade up to get a QB in the 2024 draft. There's not as much risk as it appears on the surface. In fact I can make a case there's less risk in waiting than picking a QB in this yrs draft. Many disagree with me about the QB's and the degree of risk in waiting to draft a QB.

There's still tremendous risk b/c there's a tremendous amount of time between now and then.

Risk in that they win more than you think they will
Risk in that you'll feel the same way about the prospects next year as you do now
Risk in that they just select a player at 2 & 12 this year; ergo no extra 1st rounder from them trading down.

Aside from that, there are the restrictions you yourself have put on who you'd be comfortable with. Williams, Maye, Penix, Ewers.....I'm assuming 3 of the qbs you like better than this years crop are 3 of these 4......You can bank on Mulegheta getting at least 1 of those guys...probably 2. How are you gonna feel about that my friend if your chosen guy is a mulegheta client? :littlelol:

As it relates to the Stingley debate...How are you gonna feel selecting 1 of these guys high in the 1st if say 1 of them gets seriously injured next year? Given the fake outrage about Stingley's selection at 3 with his injury, You'd better not even be thinking about Penix as your preferred franchise guy... Ewers has also shown a tendency to be injured as well.

You just don't know how things will look a year from now.

There's still tremendous risk b/c there's a tremendous amount of time between now and then.

Risk in that they win more than you think they will
Risk in that you'll feel the same way about the prospects next year as you do now
Risk in that they just select a player at 2 & 12 this year; ergo no extra 1st rounder from them trading down.

Aside from that, there are the restrictions you yourself have put on who you'd be comfortable with. Williams, Maye, Penix, Ewers.....I'm assuming 3 of the qbs you like better than this years crop are 3 of these 4......You can bank on Mulegheta getting at least 1 of those guys...probably 2. How are you gonna feel about that my friend if your chosen guy is a mulegheta client? :littlelol:

As it relates to the Stingley debate...How are you gonna feel selecting 1 of these guys high in the 1st if say 1 of them gets seriously injured next year? Given the fake outrage about Stingley's selection at 3 with his injury, You'd better not even be thinking about Penix as your preferred franchise guy... Ewers has also shown a tendency to be injured as well.

You just don't know how things will look a year from now.

I get this and I'm willing to accept the risk.

McCarthy is my #3 guy, followed by Penix and then Ewers. Ewers has a chance to move up depending on his play next yr. He's got the talent , but like Mills is young and hasn't played much.

Ryans has definitely earned a HC job. I just don't feel he is a good fit since we (should) have a young rookie QB. Offensive coaches almost always do better with young QBs- this isn't controversial and is well known to be true. The AFC also has A TON of great QBs so we have to build a juggernut offense to compete which means trying to marry a young QB talent with great offensive mind. Payton was NEVER going to come here to this mess of a franchise with a doofus owner and no QB and a meddling GM - anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish.

While I agree with most of what you posted here I have to ask.

What has Caserio done, outside of his duties, that you consider meddling?

:coffee:

Reactions: JB
I get this and I'm willing to accept the risk.

McCarthy is my #3 guy, followed by Penix and then Ewers. Ewers has a chance to move up depending on his play next yr. He's got the talent , but like Mills is young and hasn't played much.

"The redshirt junior quarterback has not made it through more than six games in a college season — thanks to torn ACLs in 2018 and 2020, a sternoclavicular joint (connecting the clavicle to the sternum) injury in 2019, and an AC joint shoulder issue in 2021. The talented lefty has missed 25 of a possible 51 games."

Link

So, after all the outrage about the Stingley selection & you saying you would've stayed away from him b/c of it, 1 of your favorite prospects over the more "cleaner" prospects in Young, Stroud and Levis is THE most injured player i've personally ever heard of being considered as a top prospect.

Some of you guys don't even make sense on here sometimes.

"The redshirt junior quarterback has not made it through more than six games in a college season — thanks to torn ACLs in 2018 and 2020, a sternoclavicular joint (connecting the clavicle to the sternum) injury in 2019, and an AC joint shoulder issue in 2021. The talented lefty has missed 25 of a possible 51 games."

Link

So, after all the outrage about the Stingley selection & you saying you would've stayed away from him b/c of it, 1 of your favorite prospects over the more "cleaner" prospects in Young, Stroud and Levis is THE most injured player i've personally ever heard of being considered as a top prospect.

Some of you guys don't even make sense on here sometimes.

Didn't know this.

I knew he had an ACL.

It was on twitter when a guy had put together potential staffs that all of the potential candidates had worked with in the pat.

Example: Gannon had Reich as OC/Zimmer as DC/Brian Johnson as QB coach.
And you well know that Lynn was just one of the possibilities listed for Ryans OC, along with Bobby Slowik, Mike LaFleur, Wes Phillips and Klint Kubiak

JJ had double digit sacks this year....makes me think he's still got something left in the tank.....Meco might be able to get him to pull a Brady and come back and play for his boy as a situational pass rusher......

Please tell me this was in jest.

JJ just had a kid; his body is breaking down, and he has nothing to prove. He's earned his retirement.

I would go with 50/50 or to 70/30 marketing over substance. Maybe the McNair's will get lucky.
I think The Three want the best candidate skills wise, which seems to be the overwhelming consensus around the league concerning Ryans.
Him being a popular ex-player with the Texans is an added feather in his cap.
The last part may have gotten their attention, but they wouldn't hire him without the first part being in place.
And who can begrudge them of wanting the seats full? And you do that by putting a good product on the field.
Just like the movie theater owner wants his seats full. I'm sure you don't hold that against him.
He's gonna want to show the best movies, and if he can find one starring the hometown boy, Great!
But if the movie isn't good, the home town boy won't be able to keep those seat full for long.
I think he'll have all the support behind him big time, from the front office to the fans to the guy, selling peanuts and beer.
If he wants a Gary Kubiak type here helping him, I'm sure he'll get it. It's going to be fun to watch this team and Ryans and his staff grow together.
When we do start winning, it'll be all the more sweeter that we did it with one of our own!

Please tell me this was in jest.

JJ just had a kid; his body is breaking down, and he has nothing to prove. He's earned his retirement.

Lol, wasn't about him "having anything to prove"...Just about the possibility based on the very real phenomena of what we've seen happen with alot of these great players. They retire only to catch that bug again around July/August. Its not official until JJ files that paperwork.

Reactions: JB
And you well know that Lynn was just one of the possibilities listed for Ryans OC, along with Bobby Slowik, Mike LaFleur, Wes Phillips and Klint Kubiak
Dont know much about Slowik, LaFleur is McVay's new OC, Phillips is Minnesota's new OC. Kubiak is available and would be my choice as long as his dad picks the new QB. He did really good work with Cousins.

JJ had double digit sacks this year....makes me think he's still got something left in the tank.....Meco might be able to get him to pull a Brady and come back and play for his boy as a situational pass rusher......
What would we owe Phoenix if he came out of retirement to play for us?

Or just hope Purdy has a UCL sprain not a rupture and Lance can be had for a 3rd rounder as rumored
Purdy would not have been able to handle the ball with a ruptured UCL. He has suffered a grade I tear of the UCL. But his main limitations were due to the contusion of the ulnar nerve which is not uncommon when the UCL tear is not due to typical overuse, but acutely incurred due to a direct trauma to the elbow. Surgery at this point is probably very unlikely, and as long as there is no permanent nerve damage, he should be good to go for next season.

EDIT: Purdy's MRI showed Grade III UCL tear with ulnar nerve contusion. He will need surgery. Estimated return in 6 months. Amazing that he could even hand the ball off effectively in his limited time out there.

Last edited:
Back