Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Is it your opinion that Ryans hasn't earned a shot as HC at this time? To me, Payton was the bigger "butts in Reliant seats" HC, if that truly was the only measurement being used. If Cal wanted a stadium full of fans, Payton could've done that. The cost of getting Payton may have got Caserio to push back b/c the draft assets are far more valuable than the Payton's contract.
Ryans was the ultimate PR hire. Even better than Payton.

I'm really looking forward to Anthony Lynn becoming the next OC with Pep as QB coach. Said nobody.

It has to do with the history of the McNair's putting marketing over everything else.

.....if that were the case, then Cal McNair would be standing at the podium, with Caserio in background, and Sean Payton at his side during the introduction of the Texans new HC. Damm the draft assets and Payton's contract b/c butts in the seats would be of the highest priorities.

I'm so pumped for this (expected) move, I'm being tethered to my chair at work so I don't fly away. This will be a new day, and a new dawn for the Texans. Demeco is the perfect hire for this team and at this time. It's the perfect storm in a good way.

Unlike a couple of our other members, I think this shows that ownership is changing, and changing for the way better. I'm in no way saying Cal is perfect, but this is NOT what old Cal would have done with Easterbunny in his ear. We are now fully in the post OB, post Easterbunny era. I think it's fine to look at history, but some of us are trapped into that history instead of opening their eyes and seeing the changes taking place in front of their eyes. Step out of your old paradigm and see the light! Nobody has been tougher on Cal and ownership than me, so I'm no sunshine pumper, but I'm also not going to be negative Nelly for the sake of being negative Nelly. I am willing to allow for people to change - Cal, with the help of Hannah is changing, and I for one welcome the change. I don't care if Hannah is in his ear or even takes over totally if it means competency.

It's a new day fellow Texans fans! Back to relevance first and then let's go win us a championship sometime in the next few years. Let's go!!
IMO I believe Cal spent the last two years sitting in the Owner's Box looking at an empty stadium. This was foremost in the front of his mind on why he wanted DeMeco as his new coach. If you want to make a case for why DeMeco is a good hire, the Denver Broncos had him at the very top of their list. That is the best supporting argument and reinforcement for why hiring DeMeco is a good hire.

Last edited:
.....if that were the case, then Cal McNair would be standing at the podium, with Caserio in background, and Sean Payton at his side during the introduction of the Texans new HC. Damm the draft assets and Payton's contract b/c butts in the seats would be of the highest priorities.
Demeco was a better PR hire than Payton. You should listen to the media/fans around these parts.

Is it your opinion that Ryans hasn't earned a shot as HC at this time? To me, Payton was the bigger "butts in Reliant seats" HC, if that truly was the only measurement being used. If Cal wanted a stadium full of fans, Payton could've done that. The cost of getting Payton may have got Caserio to push back b/c the draft assets are far more valuable than the Payton's contract.
Ryans has definitely earned a HC job. I just don't feel he is a good fit since we (should) have a young rookie QB. Offensive coaches almost always do better with young QBs- this isn't controversial and is well known to be true. The AFC also has A TON of great QBs so we have to build a juggernut offense to compete which means trying to marry a young QB talent with great offensive mind. Payton was NEVER going to come here to this mess of a franchise with a doofus owner and no QB and a meddling GM - anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish.

Negative Nelly's - I will posit that more than one thing can be true. He can be a good PR move AND the right choice for this team in terms of on the field. Guess what I can chew gum and walk at the same time, yippee look at me.

I would say that Payton would have been the best choice if you ONLY look at PR/filling seats. Ryans has some history here but not everyone in this city/area lived here or cared about the Texans in the late 2000's. Payton is a much bigger name among casual fans, here or anywhere else. Hiring Payton would have been the move you're now accusing the Texans of. Hiring to fill seats - the draft picks lost or anything else be damned, we need to fill those seats. Dude that IS Payton. Ryans is a chess move. Payton is checkers.

Was he the best PR candidate in Indy? In Arizona? Carolina? Literally, every team asked to interview him. I feel it's completely ridiculous to accuse the Texans of hiring him as only a PR move. I mean really? That's the best you guys got as criticism. I mean if you have legit concerns, I'm up for listening to them. The one I've heard about wanting an OC as HC - I can understand that as a concern. But y'all need to come up with a new act because this one doesn't hold any water.

Kalfka worked under Reid for many years and proved what he could do without Mahomes.
Kafka and Ryans have each coached in the NFL for 6 years.
You forgot the part where Kafka did NOT inherit one of the best offenses in the NFL.
He didn't coach up the Giants offense into a top offense. 18th in the league. Much better than what the Giants had in 2021. But hardly a great offense, as we saw against the Eagles. And the HC was an offensive coach. How much of this is credited to Kafka? Sort of the same situation that Bienemy has with Reid.

Tell us exactly what has changed. They hired a guy you like, that's all that has really changed. Nothing has changed when it comes to the fact that the McNair's always make decisions based on the bottom line. With this in mind, next on the agenda is drafting a midget, that will help put even more butts in the seats.

I'm hoping this all works out, but I don't kid myself as to why these decisions are being made.

Nothing changed?
You're harping specifically on them hiring a head coach to sell tickets.
If true, it disproves your theory that nothing has changed, because they've never hired a coach for the reason that you claim they're hiring DeMeco

Kafka and Ryans have each coached in the NFL for 6 years.

He didn't coach up the Giants offense into a top offense. 18th in the league. Much better than what the Giants had in 2021. But hardly a great offense, as we saw against the Eagles. And the HC was an offensive coach. How much of this is credited to Kafka? Sort of the same situation that Bienemy has with Reid.
One coaches under Reid, the other didn't. People have been pining for a Reid offense here for yrs. More than offense rankings, I look at whether Kalfka got the most out of the talent he had at his disposal. He did.

On another note I noticed that the Texans are a racist org thread got shutdown. I'm glad that's been put to bed. Some people have a lot of crow to eat.

Last edited:
Nothing changed?
If true, it disproves your theory that nothing has changed, because they've never hired a coach for the reason that you claim they're hiring DeMeco
I would definitely say that was part of the reason that Kubiak was hired and definitely the reason he was kept around after 2010. Gotta keep those Aggies filling those seats. The results then we're predictable and I hope I'm wrong but I expect similar results now. I can't wait for the Anthony Lynn offense, how about you?

And the guys he liked (Gannon & Kafka) didn't get offers. Is the entire league wrong?

This has everything to do with posters' narratives and nothing to do with the legitimacy of the candidates.

Quote from nothing but the truth.

Like one posters keeps repeating they’re only hiring Ryan’s because of money. Versus the legitimacy of the candidate. Now if the Broncos would have hired him, dude would be saying,” what great hire. And why can’t the Texans make smart decisions like that.

And the guys he liked (Gannon & Kafka) didn't get offers. Is the entire league wrong?

This has everything to do with posters' narratives and nothing to do with the legitimacy of the candidates.
I have who I like as candidates I don't care what others think or do.

The only narrative is this is a PR hire and if we're extremely lucky Ryan's will work out. It still doesn't change the fact that this was a PR hire and nothing has changed within the Texans org, or their way of doing business.

BTW, I never said that Ryan's wasn't a legitimate candidate. He certainly was, I just don't like the reason he was hired.

Quote from nothing but the truth.

Like one posters keeps repeating they’re only hiring Ryan’s because of money. Versus the legitimacy of the candidate. Now if the Broncos would have hired him, dude would be saying,” what great hire. And why can’t the Texans make smart decisions like that.
Wrong, Ryan's was a legitimate candidate.

I would definitely say that was part of the reason that Kubiak was hired and definitely the reason he was kept around after 2010. Gotta keep those Aggies filling those seats. The results then we're predictable and I hope I'm wrong but I expect similar results now. I can't wait for the Anthony Lynn offense, how about you?

Why are you still stuck on Lynn as OC? Recent musings have him going in an entirely different direction, but it's all rumor until we hear. Once it's not Lynn, then you'll be on some other tangent about him, and you'll complain tirelessly until/unless he wins a SB.

I get that you don't like Ryans. The question is why? I think I might know, but I'm not going to be the one that opens that can of worms. But I'll just say based on your posting history, there are more than a few breadcrumbs left as a trail.

So, because you don't think DeMeco is the best candidate, it's impossible that Cal and Caserio think he's the best candidate and only hiring him to sell seats?

It's quite likely they believe he's the best candidate.
A lot of people in the league think he is.
He's a good candidate, but don't kid yourself as to why he was hired. Do you honestly think he would've been the hire without being a legacy guy?

Not buying that.
When Kubiak was hired the Texans had sold out every game in team history and had a waiting list years long for season tickets

There's more benefit from hiring DeMeco than just fan PR.
His potential hire has a buzz that's extending to the rest of the league.
Who do you think current players would be more excited about playing for, Ryans or Payton?
Before this started, I'd have said Payton, easily, but not now.
And the buzz is getting former Texas like JJ Watt involved.
Seems like there's actual potential and not just talk of a real culture change here.
We'll see, if one or more current SF players follow DeMeco here.

And I'm saying this as a guy who had DeMeco maybe 3rd on my personal list at the outset

If you like tap dancing this is a Billy Flynn special.

Why are you still stuck on Lynn as OC? Recent musings have him going in an entirely different direction, but it's all rumor until we hear. Once it's not Lynn, then you'll be on some other tangent about him, and you'll complain tirelessly until/unless he wins a SB.

I get that you don't like Ryans. The question is why? I think I might know, but I'm not going to be the one that opens that can of worms. But I'll just say based on your posting history, there are more than a few breadcrumbs left as a trail.
You're wrong I do like Ryans and think he's got a chance to become successful. I'm just not waving pompoms like you are. I can see potential pitfalls and what I really don't like is how Tommy Boy and his gold digger wife went about the hiring process. The fact that they're proven idiots doesn't bother you when it comes to this hire

Again my issue isn't with Ryans or his hiring. My issue is with the McNair's.

There's more benefit from hiring DeMeco than just fan PR.
His potential hire has a buzz that's extending to the rest of the league.
Who do you think current players would be more excited about playing for, Ryans or Payton?
Before this started, I'd have said Payton, easily, but not now.
And the buzz is getting former Texas like JJ Watt involved.
Seems like there's actual potential and not just talk of a real culture change here.
We'll see, if one or more current SF players follow DeMeco here.

And I'm saying this as a guy who had DeMeco maybe 3rd on my personal list at the outset

While he is a qualified candidate & i think he'd do a pretty good job here if given enough time & talent to work with...But i also think alot of the other guys they interviewed would as well. So for that reason I think its naive to say that the hiring of "DeMeco" wouldn't be at least 50% for fan sentiment. Everything you have listed above is rooted in that.

All players & fans typically get excited for what they hope is a change in their team's fortunes when a new guy gets put at the helm. Problem is it typically only lasts a year or so tho...sometimes less than that depending on how bad the 1st season goes...See Broncos fans and players after 3 games of Nathaniel Hackett.

It's easy to "coach up" a stout defense that was already good when you took over. So my thing is for those championing DeMeco b/c he's a "leader of men" or b/c of the "buzz" he would bring back to the fan base.......How much of that buzz will you be leaning on when he's forced to trot out a Maliek Collins, Christian Kirksey and Jonathan Owens in place of a Nick Bosa, Fred Warner and Talonoa Hafunga..... & we suck again next year.

If he is indeed our targeted guy, he's gonna have the same uphill battle to fight. Don't wanna hear folks calling for his job after 8 games next year.

Moore was saddled with Dak. Moore did the best he could under the circumstances. Moore is Jerry's sacrificial lamb for why Dallas O continues to disaapoint.
Yep, Moore is paying the price for Jerrah deciding to pay Dak.

I'm thinking Caserio/ Ryan's or the next OC will pay the price for Cal picking a QB in this draft in order to sell more to sell more tickets.

Yep, Moore is paying the price for Jerrah deciding to pay Dak.

I'm thinking Caserio/ Ryan's or the next OC will pay the price for Cal picking a QB in this draft in order to sell more to sell more tickets.

I think a case can be made for them to select a qb this year. I didn't really weigh this out myself in my intial opinion on this, the problem with waiting until next year is there's too much unknown.

you don't know where you'll be selecting
you know very little about the prospects & how they'll shake out next year...
you don't know where this team will be....

Stroud, Young and Levis...that's about as good of crop of prospects at the position as you're going to get. 2 very accomplished guys and the freakish talent that seemingly came out of nowhere. Truthfully it all just depends on how much weight you assign to certain aspects of each when evaluating.

If we're talking accomplishments
Young
Stroud
Levis

If we're talking pure measureables, arm talent & upside
Levis
Stroud
Young

If we're talking best blend of accomplishments, measureables & arm talent
Stroud
Young
Levis

I think a case can be made for them to select a qb this year. I didn't really weigh this out myself in my intial opinion on this, the problem with waiting until next year is there's too much unknown.

you don't know where you'll be selecting
you know very little about the prospects & how they'll shake out next year...
you don't know where this team will be....

Stroud, Young and Levis...that's about as good of crop of prospects at the position as you're going to get. 2 very accomplished guys and the freakish talent that seemingly came out of nowhere. Truthfully it all just depends on how much weight you assign to certain aspects of each when evaluating.

If we're talking accomplishments
Young
Stroud
Levis

If we're talking pure measureables & arm talent
Levis
Stroud
Young

If we're talking best blend of accomplishments, measureables & arm talent
Stroud
Young
Levis

I would rather take a risk on what I don't know vs taking a risk by picking a QB in this draft.

Naw buddy you’re wrong. I been on here long enough to know how you get done.
How do I get done?

Like I said my problem isn't with Ryans, it's with the McNair's and I have been pretty get done when it comes to the McNair's and how they do business since 2010.

You're wrong I do like Ryans and think he's got a chance to become successful. I'm just not waving pompoms like you are. I can see potential pitfalls and what I really don't like is how Tommy Boy and his gold digger wife went about the hiring process. The fact that they're proven idiots doesn't bother you when it comes to this hire

Again my issue isn't with Ryans or his hiring. My issue is with the McNair's.

Can you be specific? What about the hiring process bothers you so much? They had a list of eight and he was among them. He was a strong candidate from the start because he's a damn good candidate. The proof was already in the pudding. Nobody had to fluff his feathers. Outside of Payton, he was nearly universally considered the strongest possible hire in this class.

Saw a retweet that originated from a guy named Mike Silver who I don't know and for some reason blocked me on Twitter at some point.
His claim was that Vic Fangio is quoted as saying nothing has been agreed on with Miami.

Can you be specific? What about the hiring process bothers you so much? They had a list of eight and he was among them. He was a strong candidate from the start because he's a damn good candidate. The proof was already in the pudding. Nobody had to fluff his feathers. Outside of Payton, he was nearly universally considered the strongest possible hire in this class.
He claims they only hiring him for money and trying to win back their fans.

I would rather take a risk on what I don't know vs taking a risk by picking a QB in this draft.

That's 1 helluva risk. If Meco is as advertised & we see some growth in this team next year, we're very likely not in position to select 1 of the top qbs in the next draft...which would also be the last year we have 2 1st round picks as well. If we were to get 1 of those guys, we'd be giving up draft capital to get 1 of them..which i'm not sure that'd be a wise move given the talent level of this team.

I am always surprised how people can just make things for their narrative.

We saw what Daboll did with Allen and then the same thing happens with Daniels and somehow that is magically Kafka? And somehow people want to imply Kafka had something to do with Mahomes?

It is one thing to interpret things differently and it’s another to make things up.

His merit consists of being a DC for 2 years with one of the best defenses in the NFL he inherited from Robert Saleh.
It is important to mention that the defense he inherited stayed a top defense after he took over. That does mean something. With poor leadership and an inability to put people in a position to succeed, that same defense could have underperformed. The same is true for any leader or leadership position regardless of it being a sport, a business, or a military leader.

Nothing changed?
They first hired a GM steel likes. Then they got rid of Easterby. Then they fired Lovie after one year. Now they're going to hire a HC Porky likes. Seems like change to me.

I read a recent article IIRC on this message board that mcnair's were under the opinion that Ryans would not entertain an interview due to the lawsuit. Someone actually contacted Ryan's and ran it by him. He was surprisingly open. The article did not opine as to whom suggested 1st contact.

I thought Texans and NFL had settled with Demeco prior to 2021 but as i read article, there was no hint of $.
There was no money. As the lawsuit progressed, the Texans and NFL were ultimately removed from the suit while Ryans reached a settlement with the stadium management company and the turf company.

Back