Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a pathetic news conference by Buttchin. As soon as Matt Galante asked him 'why should the fans have confidence that you are the right coach' he gives some BS response and then walks out on the reporters.

LAME.DUCK.COACH. oh no wait we actually resigned him last year so the term doesnt apply.

edit: Paul Gallante

Clown says "i've got alot of things to get better at, but Im not going to tell you all what that is"

Only speech I want to hear from O'Brain is the one he gives after they go 0-5 and he is explaining that he didn't get the job done and that's why he's not the HC anymore. I think an 0-5 record and a loss to the Cowboys in our house will do the trick. I'm not even slightly worried about 0-4. Indy is going to push our stuffing in with minimal effort. That's as close to a done deal as it gets. 0-5 is the one that's going to be risky. Dallas sucks pretty damn bad this year. They might just come in here and lay an egg.

Come on Cowboys. Make it happen!

Only speech I want to hear from O'Brain is the one he gives after they go 0-5 and he is explaining that he didn't get the job done and that's why he's not the HC anymore. I think an 0-5 record and a loss to the Cowboys in our house will do the trick. I'm not even slightly worried about 0-4. Indy is going to push our stuffing in with minimal effort. That's as close to a done deal as it gets. 0-5 is the one that's going to be risky. Dallas sucks pretty damn bad this year. They might just come in here and lay an egg.

Come on Cowboys. Make it happen!

my friend(cowboys fan) and I have discussed a possible scenario of both teams just shitting the bed over and over again in that game to make both owners realize they need a new HC

• One of my favorite parts of this game was the challenge O’Brien made. In the first half, he challenged an eight-yard completion, one that had zero dramatic impact on the game and didn’t even look like something was remotely wrong. Of course O’Brien lost the challenge and a timeout. At the end of the half, Houston ran out of time to score a touchdown and settled for a field goal. What do you know? That timeout would have been pretty useful.
Later in the game, Barkley caught a long pass that put the Giants in the vicinity of the goal line. It looked like the ball moved as he went to ground while the defender swatted at it. There was a possibility it wasn’t a catch. O’Brien called a timeout. There wasn’t a challenge. Even if he didn’t call the timeout to coax a challenge and you’re going to call a timeout here anyways, why not challenge the call? That second red flag doesn’t mean anything outside the two minute warning. If you lose, you only lose a timeout that was going to be called anyways. This isn’t as erroneous as the first bad challenged decision, but it’s another example of that part of the game O’Brien has been terrible at managing throughout his time here.

https://www.battleredblog.com/real-...7894838/texans-v-giants-review-quick-thoughts

He just seems like he sucks the life out of everyone on the team. After coaching and teaching Watson all offseason, Deshaun looks worse than he did last year. Get O'Brien out of here before he ruins our QB.

• One of my favorite parts of this game was the challenge O’Brien made. In the first half, he challenged an eight-yard completion, one that had zero dramatic impact on the game and didn’t even look like something was remotely wrong. Of course O’Brien lost the challenge and a timeout. At the end of the half, Houston ran out of time to score a touchdown and settled for a field goal. What do you know? That timeout would have been pretty useful.
Later in the game, Barkley caught a long pass that put the Giants in the vicinity of the goal line. It looked like the ball moved as he went to ground while the defender swatted at it. There was a possibility it wasn’t a catch. O’Brien called a timeout. There wasn’t a challenge. Even if he didn’t call the timeout to coax a challenge and you’re going to call a timeout here anyways, why not challenge the call? That second red flag doesn’t mean anything outside the two minute warning. If you lose, you only lose a timeout that was going to be called anyways. This isn’t as erroneous as the first bad challenged decision, but it’s another example of that part of the game O’Brien has been terrible at managing throughout his time here.

https://www.battleredblog.com/real-...7894838/texans-v-giants-review-quick-thoughts

This guy's blog is terrible. Folks think you can just pull certain plays out of thin air & they'll work & that's not how an NFL offense works unless you have a Aaron Rodgers type under center. Certain parts of a playbook are closed off when you can't do certain things or if a team makes you 1 dimensional.

When you can't pass protect consistently, you can't set up to "bomb defenses" as this guy puts.
When you can't run the ball or have noone the defense fears running the ball, of course the defense isn't gonna honor a play fake.
When you can't play fake, pass plays you have that incorporate that aspect are basically out of play....Saw this with Kubiak since everything in his offense was predicated off the playfake.

Going back to "what worked" as this guy puts it is Watson out there freestylying......& you're not going to beat an NFL defense consistently doing that. BoB know that & I'm sure Watson knows that too.

Furthermore, this guy says "even when houston's pass protection was good..." Umm when exactly was that?

Force feeding a Watson under center system instead of using the modified version of the system from last year and building on that is all on the stupid ass coach. What worked was a 5 wide package that allowed Watson a quick read and gave him time. Coming out from under center the first thing WAtson has to do is make sure he isnt immediately about to get killed THEN he begins his progression. Houston does have good pass pro on a handful of plays, as evidenced by time to throw stats, but what good does the extra time do anyone if the receivers cant get open, or if the route tree is too basic and easy to cover? Bombing defenses isnt a bunch of hail mary plays .. its attacking with receivers from multilple angles and making the defense work. Its getting mismatches on your skill guys and taking advantage of those .. you know kinda what other teams do to the TExans to force MLB's to cover WR.

All coaching.

This guy's blog is terrible. Folks think you can just pull certain plays out of thin air & they'll work & that's not how an NFL offense works unless you have a Aaron Rodgers type under center. Certain parts of a playbook are closed off when you can't do certain things or if a team makes you 1 dimensional.

When you can't pass protect consistently, you can't set up to "bomb defenses" as this guy puts.

This little lecture sounds cute other than it comes a day after the Texans did long ball while having bad pass pro. We also led the league in passing with a play action offense when we had the 31st rushing attack.

Nott disagreeing entirely. It just sounds a little more constrained than reality.

We get away with Watson throwing long because of his individual threat. We got away with passing under Schaub because his fake was so good.

I don't have any confidence in OB seeing the exceptions.

Can we go into the Colts game pretending we're down by 17? It seems the only the time the offense clicks is when we're in a bit of a panic. I'm not sure if that's when Watson takes over and doesn't listen to Bill or what.

Force feeding a Watson under center system instead of using the modified version of the system from last year and building on that is all on the stupid ass coach. What worked was a 5 wide package that allowed Watson a quick read and gave him time. Coming out from under center the first thing WAtson has to do is make sure he isnt immediately about to get killed THEN he begins his progression. Houston does have good pass pro on a handful of plays, as evidenced by time to throw stats, but what good does the extra time do anyone if the receivers cant get open, or if the route tree is too basic and easy to cover? Bombing defenses isnt a bunch of hail mary plays .. its attacking with receivers from multilple angles and making the defense work. Its getting mismatches on your skill guys and taking advantage of those .. you know kinda what other teams do to the TExans to force MLB's to cover WR.

All coaching.

Pass pro was good..........on a handful of plays. Are you even reading what you're typing? What, you're supposed to launch an aerial attack & "bomb" on a team with a handful of good pass pro plays out of 25-30 drop backs that you don't even know when they're going to happen? C'mon man you're not making much sense. Nuk & Fuller don't have problem taking advantage of mismatches. The issue is they need time to get open & get down the field & Watson being flushed right b/c of overall bad pass pro when the route combo's are designed to go left isn't on the playcall or BoB.

last year's offense in that 6 game run was Watson mostly freestyling & making a play as protection broke down.. It was also when we 1st saw the fake jet sweep package in the seattle game.......It's worthy of a package in the playbook & it works.........when you can run the ball & pass protect. But you can't base an entire offense like you guys seem to think it can be done. By the way, the Patriots ate that package alive in the 1st game. Why? b/c we couldn't pass protect well enough to let things develop down field.

Pass pro was good..........on a handful of plays. Are you even reading what you're typing? What, you're supposed to launch an aerial attack & "bomb" on a team with a handful of good pass pro plays out of 25-30 drop backs that you don't even know when they're going to happen? C'mon man you're not making much sense. Nuk & Fuller don't have problem taking advantage of mismatches. The issue is they need time to get open & get down the field & Watson being flushed right b/c of overall bad pass pro when the route combo's are designed to go left isn't on the playcall or BoB.

last year's offense in that 6 game run was Watson mostly freestyling & making a play as protection broke down.. It was also when we 1st saw the fake jet sweep package in the seattle game.......It's worthy of a package in the playbook & it works.........when you can run the ball & pass protect. But you can't base an entire offense like you guys seem to think it can be done. By the way, the Patriots ate that package alive in the 1st game. Why? b/c we couldn't pass protect well enough to let things develop down field.

So why didn't we make the adjustment that giants made this game? Shurmur's offense is generally predicated on long down the field developing routes, much like O'Briens but since their line isn't any good he changed it. They called more slants, they had quick crossing patterns, rub routes, etc. to get guys open and the ball out of Eli's hands quickly. O'Brien still hasn't made that adjustment. Its Well lets send Hopkins and Fuller 15-20 yards down field, and hopefully they beat their coverage, and our line holds up long enough.

O'Brien has the least creative route combos in the game, and it hinders our offense greatly

Is it possible to hire someones wr coach during the season to come be your offensive coordinator? Or do you need permission from the team?

:coffee:

He just seems like he sucks the life out of everyone on the team. After coaching and teaching Watson all offseason, Deshaun looks worse than he did last year. Get O'Brien out of here before he ruins our QB.
I feel like I’m in bizarro world. I had to do a double take when I seen wrote this.

So why didn't we make the adjustment that giants made this game? Shurmur's offense is generally predicated on long down the field developing routes, much like O'Briens but since their line isn't any good he changed it. They called more slants, they had quick crossing patterns, rub routes, etc. to get guys open and the ball out of Eli's hands quickly. O'Brien still hasn't made that adjustment. Its Well lets send Hopkins and Fuller 15-20 yards down field, and hopefully they beat their coverage, and our line holds up long enough.

O'Brien has the least creative route combos in the game, and it hinders our offense greatly

Man thank you. Why would anybody in here defend that crappy play calling by Bill O'Brien to start the game. When Bill did adjust in the middle of the third, the offense looked great. Those two turnovers hurt us big time. But my problem was why did he switch back to those garbage plays when it counted the most.

Did anyone get the feeling the Watson from last year would have ran in the 2 point conversion? It looked like he wanted to then stopped and did that dumb shovel pass. I was wondering why he stopped running. lol

If Belichick is a master chef and O'Brien learned his craft in Belichick's kitchen. I would say, O'Brien has Belichick's cookbook, the ingredients and recipes. However, he lacks the innate ability to determine how a pinch here or there can change the consistency of the dish. He's mechanical without any creativity or spontaneity.

Shurmur didn't change anything, he just continued to exploit a weakness on our defense through a sub package that seems to be the scouting report on our defense thus far; Our MLB's verses ANYONE in coverage. Those guys have been getting abused (Cunningham in particular) whether its big, lumbering guys like Gronk, or fast quick twitch guys like virtually all of the Giants' skill guys matters none.

The Giants were also running the ball effectively and pretty much at will with Barkley & Everything in anyone’s offense always works better when u can run it like they were.

Meanwhile Miller was getting stuffed on his 10 carries....and as good as Nuk is, he’s not quick and fast like all those giants’ skill guys & that’s y teams like to get physical with him..they’re not afraid he’s gonna run by them. Fuller is however & that kind of explains why he and DW4 have such good chemistry; teams are afraid he will run by them hence he’s always gonna be open on underneath stuff b/c of the cushion they afford him.

Still, I recall Nuk, Fuller and Ellington all catching multiple slants across the middle for big gains. Watson didn’t rack up 300 plus yards passing just throwing 9, seam and curl routes to all those guys. It's just when you want teams to pay for blitzing you need multiple guys who can win at the LOS quickly (enter Coutee?) and we've really only got 1 guy in Fuller.

Man thank you. Why would anybody in here defend that crappy play calling by Bill O'Brien to start the game. When Bill did adjust in the middle of the third, the offense looked great. Those two turnovers hurt us big time. But my problem was why did he switch back to those garbage plays when it counted the most.

The offense in the 3rd qtr on is EXACTLY what teams want us to do. they want us to turn into a drop back team b/c they know we can't protect him consistently. He's basically a sitting duck. They even get a bonus b/c when Watson gets out of the pocket and turns into a runner, they get to hit him like one. Chess not checkers.

Watson should be working out of the shotgun exclusively moving forward. He's shown he can drop back fine, but it's not worth it with this bad a line. Let home see it all and have a little room and an extra step to make something happen. If O'Brien doesn't realize this it's just gross negligence.

If Belichick is a master chef and O'Brien learned his craft in Belichick's kitchen. I would say, O'Brien has Belichick's cookbook, the ingredients and recipes. However, he lacks the innate ability to determine how a pinch here or there can change the consistency of the dish. He's mechanical without any creativity or spontaneity.

OB is at the chopping onions stage. He's nowhere close to a pinch away.

These same guys on 610 are the same ones yucking it up with BoB. Nothing to see here, just Lopez appealing to the lowest common denominator.

John Lopez is a clown. The only people on any of these home radio stations I actually put stock into in terms of their opinions are Sean Jones and Charlie Palillo. Both of those guys in the past have pulled no punches on any of these organizations whether they were good or not and are pretty unbiased. The rest are just front runners, homers and/or guys who really have no interest in talking about sports other than to pimp their book on how to gamble.

Reactions: JB
Idk we seemed to care about oline play more with Kubiak, or his coaches just coaches it better at least.

Part of me really wishes I could see what Kubiak ,and Watson could do together

The Texans OL never really got their **** together until Gibbs came in and fixed it. The thing started crumbling as soon as he went out the door. We haven’t had a really good OL coach since then IMO

The Texans OL never really got their **** together until Gibbs came in and fixed it. The thing started crumbling as soon as he went out the door. We haven’t had a really good OL coach since then IMO

Yep,

Anything else is revisionist history

Reactions: JB
John Lopez is a clown. The only people on any of these home radio stations I actually put stock into in terms of their opinions are Sean Jones and Charlie Palillo. Both of those guys in the past have pulled no punches on any of these organizations whether they were good or not and are pretty unbiased. The rest are just front runners, homers and/or guys who really have no interest in talking about sports other than to pimp their book on how to gamble.

I'm not a fan of Lopez but he makes a strong point.

I've always liked Charlie Pallilo too...

Charlie Palillo:
"The contract extension he "gifted" head coach Bill O'Brien was unwarranted when given and now looking more and more like Bob bought himself another "O" for his own name."
"It’s Bob McNair’s money but a multi-year contract extension for Texans Head Coach Bill O’Brien is silly... A bad Texans 2018 season, and, well, why would you still want O’Brien?"

"Would McNair acknowledge a "massive error" in extending O'Brien and bite a 20 million dollar bullet"
"Charlie criticizes Bill O’Brien’s live interview and him storming away from the podium."
"Charlie criticizes Texans Head Coach Bill O’Brien’s coaching decisions."

etc... etc... etc...

It seems like most of the media has turned on him. You know its bad when even the flagship station guys are wondering if he will survive the season if it keeps going this way.

Admittedly, up until this week I was not a big believer that O'Brien was the issue. Now I am. And let me tell you why.
Yes its easy to say hey we need an OC or BOB is bad but here is the real tell.

All the way along, Obrien has been able to bring in QBs and squeeze everything out of them while he 'waited' to find the one. The one that could run this offense of his.
So every QB he played to their strengths to make them serviceable. This fooled me because I thought well look he can make a bunch of dung look like a diamond. And even last year, when he slotted Watson in and Watson lit it up. Because there was no using 'his' playbook but rather Deshaun's. And I thought oh look he is able to adapt to the situations on the ground and exonerated him for all the bad coaching.

This year, no more. This is all on him period end of story. Instead of developing a playbook around Deshaun Watson, he is shoehorning Watson into his. Watson looks no different than savage, no different than Osweiler, no different than Hoyer, with a little less experience.

So this is all on O'brien. He is inflexible. Arrogant and doesn't have answers because he does not look mirror. So the answer is let Deshaun Watson be Deshaun Watson. Call Dabo Sweeney and find out how to coach Deshaun Watson if you can't figure it out. And for the love of Pete, please stick a fork in the Bill O'Brien playbook because its done. Its Tom Brady's playbook and there is only one Tom Brady.
This is what I've been thinking since this last stupid game and you said it better than I could. Some QBs can be wedged into a scheme and become good. #4 ain't that guy IMO. I do not want him hurt running but what we saw with him last season almost unbelievable; if I had not seen him in the college championship game against Alabama I would have not believed it. This guy can be the QB that makes all around him better, take a team on his shoulders and be a 'face of team' Watt at QB. He could be a generational player...just not with OBrien. I was and am willing to wait while players heal, others mature and the team pulls together but no longer...not with a coach who doesn't coach but tries to cram into his version of Sinatra's "My way". OBrien saw as did we all what Watson can be and still tried to change him this season. 0-3 and nothing to say team will not be 0-5 and maybe worse. Dabo Sweeney would be my selection and it's been a year since he signed his extension $7 m per. His #3 Clemson team will probably force him not to accept any offer during season as he has to want another chance at Saban's Tide. An OC from either team (Bama avg points per game) to take same spot here would be sweet. Offensive line coach Brent Key in his two seasons as OL coach had his Oline as a finalist for Joe Moore [best offensive line college] both years and many saying this season is best ever in Alabama Tide history would be interesting as we seem to be climbing to draft 'Bama's LT Jonah Williams who many are saying can play any spot on line...OK I have to quit dreaming and wake up.

OBrien has to see it ain't working doesn't he? Dude should immediately announce he is searching for an OC and fire the line coach also. If we go 0-5 he has to be fired.

O'Brien said that building the game plan is a collaborative process. He characterized his play-calling as "terrible" on Sunday.

There goes that word collaborative again.

https://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Bill-O-Brien-It-s-frustrating-we-ve-13254228.php
But can't we agree the game plan is ultimately the head coaches responsibility, especially if he is also the OC. Collaborative can mean no more than listening to assistant coaches as "he" formulates the game plan. One thing O'Brien has always done is take the blame, oh wait a minute, "That's not my job!"

what good does the extra time do anyone if the receivers cant get open, or if the route tree is too basic and easy to cover? Bombing defenses isnt a bunch of hail mary plays .. its attacking with receivers from multilple angles and making the defense work. Its getting mismatches on your skill guys and taking advantage of those .. you know kinda what other teams do to the TExans to force MLB's to cover WR.
To the bolded red part....
some of this is on RAC too, Shurmur had plays in where Cunningham was covering Beckham! Seriously? Cunningham was getting beat like a soapy dick trying to cover TE's and RB's, and then he ends up in coverage on Beckham!? I mean, damn! O'Brien, take note and see if you can come up with something that gets your best WR on a LB!!

O'Brien has the least creative route combos in the game,
He has route combos??

If the
To the bolded red part....
some of this is on RAC too, Shurmur had plays in where Cunningham was covering Beckham! Seriously? Cunningham was getting beat like a soapy dick trying to cover TE's and RB's, and then he ends up in coverage on Beckham!? I mean, damn! O'Brien, take note and see if you can come up with something that gets your best WR on a LB!!

He has route combos??

Absolutely. RAC has been bad. No awareness. Reactive, but also the players out there just arent separating. Mercilus is easy to block right now. McKinney is easy to block right now. Watt usually is pretty easy to block right now. Everyone on that side of the ball needs to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back