Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players we bring in keep getting better compared to their arrival. We've made improvements in the trenches and have shown significant cohesion. We've developed an identity that mirrors our coach's ability. We have shown our fans a scheme and performance to promote hope for current and future rosters.

With so much talent 5 years ago, including Superbowl/Playoff heroes, NFL top 100 players and individual units ranked tops in the league ... I'm so glad we hired someone to take advantage and build upon that foundation. It's a good time to be a fan. Obviously nobody is dumb enough to hire another Patriots' coach, so we're looking at a quick turnaround - especially if we find a great QB.

(yes, sarcasm)

Last edited:
We have lost the last 9 games and 12 out of the last 13. I don't know what Mr. McNair considers grounds for firing, but Coach Obrien's record speaks for itself.

Both As a HC’s, yes he has

What in the flying **** are you trying to defend?

O'Brien was brought in and promoted as a god and a savior and a man to finally make us a legitimate team and not just an "empty record" and a "paper champion" like we were under Kubiak, specifically with the failures in the Ravens and Patriots playoff games.

None of that has happened. We haven't gone farther. We haven't looked better. We haven't become more legitimate. We haven't gained any discipline. We haven't established an identity. The two years we actually managed to make the playoffs, we were easily the worst playoff teams in NFL history, which was evident to anyone who actually watched the games played that season. Then what happened? We were blown the **** out in one of the most embarrassing football games of all time against Kansas City. Then we lost to the Patriots where a team with even 20% better offense (which O'Brien should have been able to establish by then given how he had everything handed to him and he had his pick of quarterback and years under the belt by then) would have beaten the Patriots even though they played the worst and most vulnerable game anyone had seen out of that franchise in the last 15 years.

Get out of here with this ****. Get the **** outta here.

O'Brien was brought in and promoted as a god and a savior and a man to finally make us a legitimate team and not just an "empty record" and a "paper champion" like we were under Kubiak, specifically with the failures in the Ravens and Patriots playoff games.

None of that has happened. We haven't gone farther. We haven't looked better. We haven't become more legitimate. We haven't gained any discipline. We haven't established an identity. The two years we actually managed to make the playoffs, we were easily the worst playoff teams in NFL history, which was evident to anyone who actually watched the games played that season. Then what happened? We were blown the **** out in one of the most embarrassing football games of all time against Kansas City. Then we lost to the Patriots where a team with even 20% better offense (which O'Brien should have been able to establish by then given how he had everything handed to him and he had his pick of quarterback and years under the belt by then) would have beaten the Patriots even though they played the worst and most vulnerable game anyone had seen out of that franchise in the last 15 years.

First off, kiss my ass slick I ain’t going NOWHERE especially if u whiny fucks get to stay in here.

2nd of all, yes TECHNICALLY kubiak has gone further if u count his lucky ass run in the playoffs with Denver in 2016. what I meant when I made that statement is as HC of the Texans, his 1st gig as HC like Kubiak when he got here ...BoB went just as far as Kubiak did..we’ve never been past the divisional round with either of them.

But I can see you’re in you’re feelings right now. Take a day away from this place, you’ll be better for it.

First off, kiss my ass slick I ain’t going NOWHERE especially if u whiny fucks get to stay in here.

But I can see you’re in you’re feelings right now. Take a day away from this place, you’ll be better for it.

Likewise boss.

2nd of all, yes TECHNICALLY kubiak has gone further if u count his lucky ass run in the playoffs with Denver in 2016. what I meant when I made that statement is as HC of the Texans, his 1st gig as HC like Kubiak when he got here ...BoB went just as far as Kubiak did..we’ve never been past the divisional round with either of them.

I said nothing of his time in Denver. Maybe read through my post again and maybe you'll understand the point of it.

I realize that I'm going to turn this conversation sideways, but very little of our collapse had anything to do with Kubiak. We were a healthy "JAG Schaub" away from being a defense lead Superbowl Champion, except... Promotions like On the Nose weren't Kubiak. Injury to Schaub wasn't Kubiak. Letter Jackets wasn't Kubiak. By 2011 McNair was putting his stake into capitalizing on the success as if he had a part in it. 2012 offseason McNair/Smith brought in Ed Reed, and on camera told players to lean on him because of his experience ... Wade wasn't aware of the signing. 2012 offseason McNair was on camera telling players to come to come to him if they had a problem. 2012 Schaub a veteran quarterback familiar with the system breaks the pick-6 record, while at the same time one of the best DC's in history has his singularly worst turnover season. To emphasize the flaw in power structure, Swearinger goes off on Kubiak without repercussion (weird), and McNair makes a press statement naming Case Keenum the starting quarterback.

McNair probably learned his lesson (or not with his off-field idiocy), but he's seemingly stayed out of the football side of things.

You couldn't be any more correct, great summation.

I realize that I'm going to turn this conversation sideways, but very little of our collapse had anything to do with Kubiak. We were a healthy "JAG Schaub" away from being a defense lead Superbowl Champion, except... Promotions like On the Nose weren't Kubiak. Injury to Schaub wasn't Kubiak. Letter Jackets wasn't Kubiak. By 2011 McNair was putting his stake into capitalizing on the success as if he had a part in it. 2012 offseason McNair/Smith brought in Ed Reed, and on camera told players to lean on him because of his experience ... Wade wasn't aware of the signing. 2012 offseason McNair was on camera telling players to come to come to him if they had a problem. 2012 Schaub a veteran quarterback familiar with the system breaks the pick-6 record, while at the same time one of the best DC's in history has his singularly worst turnover season. To emphasize the flaw in power structure, Swearinger goes off on Kubiak without repercussion (weird), and McNair makes a press statement naming Case Keenum the starting quarterback.

McNair probably learned his lesson (or not with his off-field idiocy), but he's seemingly stayed out of the football side of things.

I see your point. But... Kubiak was the guy (& I liked Kubiak) responsible for what was on the field. Staying with Schaub through the first six games when you & I could see he was struggling... that was on Kubiak. From the Grid Iron section looked like he was more concerned with saving Schaub's career, than the Texans season. As a fan, I can't let that go.

Winning is the only thing that matters. Once winning isn't at the top of your "to-do" list, it's time to move on.

Reactions: JB

I know. I know very well.

I can’t waste any energy worrying about 0-3. I mean sure, it’s inconvenient and all but I’m too busy waiting for 0-5. That’s when this **** is going to go bonkers. When the Colts wipe their backsides with us next Sunday that’s going to make a lot of people mad and the calls for O’Brain’s head will get louder. When the Dallas Cowboys send us to 0-5 though, that will be the day this thing starts to get really ugly.

That game I’ll actually watch. That will be the tipping point That's when it's time to get the popcorn.

Last edited:
I see your point. But... Kubiak was the guy (& I liked Kubiak) responsible for what was on the field. Staying with Schaub through the first six games when you & I could see he was struggling... that was on Kubiak. From the Grid Iron section looked like he was more concerned with saving Schaub's career, than the Texans season. As a fan, I can't let that go.

Winning is the only thing that matters. Once winning isn't at the top of your "to-do" list, it's time to move on.

You're certainly right, and I think your final line of "winning is the only thing that matters" is short sighted to fans. "Saving Schaub's career" ... the assumption of the Grid Iron section trumps 3 rings and decades of coaching elite quarterbacks? Keenum wasn't ready, and forcing him into a situation where he has to run an offense that he's neither ready or suited for would land him in hunting blind hoping someone will call. A losing season sucks, but one losing season isn't a trend, and with the right choices in the draft can be a blessing.

2013 Schaub maybe. 2012 Schaub went 12-4, got kicked in the junk by Ndamukong Suh, and was never the same.

I keep mixing that up, though considering my consumption, I'm glad to have gotten the century correct. And it wasn't a kick to the junk that killed Schaub, it was Albert Haynesworth turning his foot into an accordion (lisfranc) on a qb sneak. The kick to his junk and one of the Bronco players (Von?) removing part of his ear gave him a little bit of 'badass' celebrity ... but it wore off quick lol.

Last edited:
His done even a miracle happens and he makes the playoffs.

This season is a travesty. This team has too much talent, not to overcome.

I can’t waste any energy worrying about 0-3. I mean sure, it’s inconvenient and all but I’m too busy waiting for 0-5. That’s when this **** is going to go bonkers. When the Colts wipe their backsides with us next Sunday that’s going to make a lot of people mad and the calls for O’Brain’s head will get louder. When the Dallas Cowboys send us to 0-5 though, that will be the day this thing starts to get really ugly.

That game I’ll actually watch. That will be the tipping point.

I won't watch that Cowboys game nearly as intently. That's when baseball playoffs will be and very likely that my Braves will have that timeslot.

The Texans can go **** themselves if that's the case.

This organizations 16 year run has nothing to defend unless mediocrity and failure is where you have set the bar for the Texans.

Admittedly, up until this week I was not a big believer that O'Brien was the issue. Now I am. And let me tell you why.
Yes its easy to say hey we need an OC or BOB is bad but here is the real tell.

All the way along, Obrien has been able to bring in QBs and squeeze everything out of them while he 'waited' to find the one. The one that could run this offense of his.
So every QB he played to their strengths to make them serviceable. This fooled me because I thought well look he can make a bunch of dung look like a diamond. And even last year, when he slotted Watson in and Watson lit it up. Because there was no using 'his' playbook but rather Deshaun's. And I thought oh look he is able to adapt to the situations on the ground and exonerated him for all the bad coaching.

This year, no more. This is all on him period end of story. Instead of developing a playbook around Deshaun Watson, he is shoehorning Watson into his. Watson looks no different than savage, no different than Osweiler, no different than Hoyer, with a little less experience.

So this is all on O'brien. He is inflexible. Arrogant and doesn't have answers because he does not look mirror. So the answer is let Deshaun Watson be Deshaun Watson. Call Dabo Sweeney and find out how to coach Deshaun Watson if you can't figure it out. And for the love of Pete, please stick a fork in the Bill O'Brien playbook because its done. Its Tom Brady's playbook and there is only one Tom Brady.

Seth Payne on his show this morning said that if you switched out Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson that Mahomes would be struggling and Watson would be flourishing under Reid. Chew on that. O'Brien was a capitalist, he garnered this mystique because he was part of the big, bad Patriots (only joining after Tom/BB had already won 3 rings mind you) and he became this hot commodity. I ask myself why? What exactly did he do as a head coach that warranted not only the initial hire, but a 4 year extension? Mindboggling.

Maybe Dan Reeves is still around somewhere to come back and do some more Head Out of Ass consulting.

Dnz5eJ4XkAEkfWS.jpg

The man who calls the plays — and has twice self-appointed himself the Texans’ offensive coordinator — admitted they were horrible.

The coach who signed off on a ridiculous, doomed-to-fail shovel pass at a critical moment Sunday described it as “horse(bleep).”

After four-plus seasons of watching, studying and listening to Bill O’Brien, I’ve never seen the Texans’ coach so down and answer-less.

His team is a numbing 0-3 to start a once-hyped, already almost over 2018 season.

A vacant-looking O’Brien admitted defeat after falling 27-22 to the previous winless Giants on Sunday at NRG Stadium, which booed the Texans before halftime in their home debut, featured fans streaming toward the exits with more than two minutes left and was all but empty when a final, meaningless touchdown arrived.

Deshaun Watson, a preseason NFL MVP candidate, threw for 385 yards and ran for 36. But he’s 3-6 as a pro starter and hasn’t won a game in almost a year.

The Cleveland Browns can win and have hope. But the Texans are an abysmal 1-12 during their last 13 games under a fifth-year coach who received a four-year contract extension after a 4-12 campaign.

What are the McNairs thinking about a deal that should have been extended a year, at most, and was based on the idea O’Brien could get the most out his young franchise quarterback? After an offseason filled with controversy, we haven’t heard from the top-floor decision-makers in a while and there was no revelation Sunday, because the Texans lost again.

But O’Brien was, rightfully, hard on himself and there is no hotter topic in this championship city than a coach who hasn’t been able to get the best out of his team since the middle of the 2017 season.

“It’s disappointing,” O’Brien said. “It’s not good. It’s just not very good.”

The old, annual 9-7 Texans would have somehow found a way to turn 20-3 New York into a gritty, resilient victory. O’Brien’s team almost did Sunday, pulling within 20-15 with 7:37 to go.

Then there was that “horse(bleep)” shovel pass, which killed a possible two-point conversion as soon as the play began. And all the false starts that never stopped. The predictable three-and-outs that began with predictable runs for nothing. A defense that came and went, ultimately allowing Eli Manning to rediscover his Super Bowl form as the 37-year-old QB completed 25 of 29 passes for 297 yards, two TDs and a 132.3 rating.

A team that can’t get out of its own way and has much more in common with Gary Kubiak’s 2-14 Texans in 2013 and O’Brien’s 4-12 team from last year than anything resembling a Super Bowl contender.

Some said the Texans could be destined for that stage in 2018.

I wrote before 0-3 started that everything had to go right for the Texans just to make the playoffs this year — fighting for .500 felt more practical.

I also foolishly picked them to beat the beat-up Titans and once-winless Giants.

O’Brien’s Texans have trailed by a combined 55-9 to start a new season, which leaves the arrow pointing directly at a coach who’s now 31-36 overall.

“I know that it starts with me,” O’Brien said. “I understand that. I really do. I know that for a fact. I stand here in front of this team every day and I’ve got to figure out how to do a better job.”

Sunday at home — empty seats at the start, ghost town at the end — finished by sounding like the same thing all over again.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

You're certainly right, and I think your final line of "winning is the only thing that matters" is short sighted to fans. "Saving Schaub's career" ... the assumption of the Grid Iron section trumps 3 rings and decades of coaching elite quarterbacks? Keenum wasn't ready, and forcing him into a situation where he has to run an offense that he's neither ready or suited for would land him in hunting blind hoping someone will call. A losing season sucks, but one losing season isn't a trend, and with the right choices in the draft can be a blessing.

I agree with this.

However with the drafts under Ricky/Kubiak I would've had little faith in them being able to draft well.

Idk we seemed to care about oline play more with Kubiak, or his coaches just coaches it better at least.

Part of me really wishes I could see what Kubiak ,and Watson could do together

Kubiak had Gibbs as his OL/Run game coordinator.

BOB has Devlin/who coordinates the run game?

HOF'er vs Avg Joe

Kubiak had Gibbs as his OL/Run game coordinator.

BOB has Devlin/who coordinates the run game?

HOF'er vs Avg Joe

Gibbs was only here from 2008-2009

Honestly there isn't mush left to do to salvage this season, I know I've sad this a few times but OB just needs to hand over playcalling to Sean Ryan. You can't bring someone in to completely change your playbook, but you can see if someone else can call better plays in certain situations, see if they can use different combinations of routes to get guys open quicker, etc. If nothing else keeping Devlin year after year of poor oline play should get both him and O'Brien canned. They let John Benton go who was our line coach when we had some of the best lines in the league, because he wasn't developing X, brought in Devlin who didn't do anything to develop X or anyone else on the line, but he kept his job.

Gibbs was only here from 2008-2009

Honestly there isn't mush left to do to salvage this season, I know I've sad this a few times but OB just needs to hand over playcalling to Sean Ryan. You can't bring someone in to completely change your playbook, but you can see if someone else can call better plays in certain situations, see if they can use different combinations of routes to get guys open quicker, etc. If nothing else keeping Devlin year after year of poor oline play should get both him and O'Brien canned. They let John Benton go who was our line coach when we had some of the best lines in the league, because he wasn't developing X, brought in Devlin who didn't do anything to develop X or anyone else on the line, but he kept his job.

Agreed, but 2 totally different blocking schemes.

That game I’ll actually watch. That will be the tipping point That's when it's time to get the popcorn.

I thought you were being a bit to hasty after week one, but here we are at 0-3. :kubepalm:

What a mess this really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back