Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case then the Chin should have ripped him a new one on the sideline. That play sucks in that situation.

The 1st one seemed out of place, but given certain looks I understand the play even if disagreeing with it.. An oops play happens even in the best of drives.

Especially, knowing the 2nd was probably also an audible, that seems like a show this look on the other side to "fool the "rookie"

I don’t know if it’s emptiness. I’m not as excited about them anymore, but to be honest, it’s a good thing. And I know I’m being sincere about it because with the way everyone in here is losing their minds about these 2 losses, I’m kinda chuckling to myself thinking, “holy sh!t I used to be like that”. No, to tell you the truth I’m happy that I don’t take them that seriously anymore.

Yep. tbh, that process started for me on January 3, 1993 (over 25 years already??). You might know that day as 35-3. ;)

After that, I vowed never, ever to be emotionally invested 100% into any given sports team.

With the Texans, I might have peaked at about 20% emotional investment back in 2011 when they first made the playoffs. And 20% is a very generous guess on my part. ;)

Now, though, I see 0-2 and 11-12% chance to make the playoffs, and I just feel "meh", I've got more productive things to do on Sundays, especially when this freakin' heat starts to dial back and we get some pretty days. I doubt I'll ever spend another pretty day inside watching football again, especially with DVR technology.

The Oilers made me cry more times than I'd care to admit as a young man. The Elway comeback. 35-3. Montana.

With that said I love football. My family loves football. We love the Texans. They represent my city. Our city. I'll never take another team for granted. I love planning the game day meal/snacks .. knocking back some cold ones and more recently talking **** live here in the game thread.

I doubt I'll ever get so indifferent or uninterested that I go out of my way not to watch the game. I think the fans invested emotionally have more of a gripe then the guys who clocked out long ago.

We may suck for a long time, but I'll always be a fan.

Well said, Uncle Rico. But it's the Houston Texans ownership that is becoming a problem and is the most frustrating to people. Bob McNair has rubbed people the wrong way for a long time now. Too many disappointing seasons and some really dumb comments he's made over the years. We started off as an expansion team in 2002. We've had three head coaches and sixteen years later we're an 0-2 team that is staring another long season in the face.

It also doesn't help that the other two pro teams in this city have great ownership: Jim Crane with the Astros and Tillman Ferttita with the Rockets. Now that being said, Cal McNair will soon take over. He can't be any worse than his father.

Also, at least for me, Texans tickets are way too expensive!
And the product on the field isn't worth me splurging for.
The last three Texans games I went to I was invited by a friend.

The only question is how do we keep Crennell without promoting him after we fire Buttchin.

you sent unless you find a candidate who was like Matt Patricia was this past offseason. Idk of you will find that in any decent candidate, so your other option is to get someone he knows and they like each other, and are familiar with each others coaching styles, staff etc. which means you'll most likely be pulling from the Belichek tree again

The Oilers made me cry more times than I'd care to admit as a young man. The Elway comeback. 35-3. Montana.

With that said I love football. My family loves football. We love the Texans. They represent my city. Our city. I'll never take another team for granted. I love planning the game day meal/snacks .. knocking back some cold ones and more recently talking **** live here in the game thread.

I doubt I'll ever get so indifferent or uninterested that I go out of my way not to watch the game. I think the fans invested emotionally have more of a gripe then the guys who clocked out long ago.

I watch the games to I can talk to y'all about what I see in how the team is run/plays called/how good the personnel is etc....

If I have other things to do I will do them. But I wont ever commit emotionally to a franchise owned by the McNair's. As Bob McNair said after Buds funeral. He admired Bud and saw Bud as one of his mentors. That was enough to keep me from getting emotionally involved. These days the only emotion I have regarding the Texans is LOL after watching them play like crap. I mean Sunday was a hoot, not covering the gunners. Not being able to get a pass rush against 3rd string OT's. 17 second last play of the game. I almost fell out of my chair in laughter.

Reasons to fire Bill O’Brien (my personal evaluation).

1. Poor situational awareness. Benefit of the doubt would say that he’s got too much on his plate as HC and OC so he sometimes misses things like when to challenge plays. But who’s idea was it to be HC and OC and why hasn’t a fix been figured out? There is no benefit of the doubt concerning clock management/time out usage/punt or go for it. It’s all on him and there has been no progress in this area since he’s been here – bonehead decisions continue to abound and it appears to just be what it is.

2. Arrogance. I don’t mean to say that he’s an a-hole. I’m saying that he has a Belichick-like confidence that he can do more with less -- can take a less talented player and ‘coach ‘em up’ to get acceptable performance out of them. It’s an ‘if you got it flaunt it’ type situation where Belichick can pull it off because he is a great coach, but when you’re not a great coach, it doesn’t work and you’re just an arrogant dude trying to pull off something you’ve seen done by someone better than you. Exhibit A. QB carousel. Exhibit B. O-line (take your pick). Exhibit C. HC is also OC.

3. Consistently doesn’t get the most out of his team. Well, he was saddled with RSmith, all those QB’s sucked (see #2), his OL sucks (see #2), and his QB is young and still learning to read defenses. All of these things are legitimate reasons to underperform. But good coaches find ways to recognize their team’s weaknesses and win despite them. The Titans just beat us missing both starting tackles, a backup tackle and their starting QB. We dominated every stat save the final score. This is coaching folks, not players. Yeah, but he was 9-7 w/ crappy qb’s. Yeah, but that was the AFC South which equals 7-9 in practically every other division.

4. Overthinks things. Call BS on this one if you want, but I really believe that this is why this team doesn’t have an identity and also why we whither under the lights in the big games. He knows the HC on the other side is better than him in those big games so he gets to overthinking things. It’s the Vizzini poison scene in the Princess Bride. You think we’re going to do this, but we’re going to do that, but you know we’re going to do that, so we’re going to do this. Decide who we’re going to be, tell the opposing team before the game that this is who we are what we’re going to do and ram it down their throat because there’s nothing they can do about it. Instead we get this multiple crap which in the hands of an overthinker like BOB turns into multiple ways to F things up. Exhibit A. Modifying last year’s offense because even though no one has stopped it, they probably will so let’s change it before they do.

5. Too conservative. I just think this is in his nature and I’m not sure someone can grow out of it. After the NE game I mentioned this with the decision with 1:52 left in the 1st half, 2nd and 23 and he gave it to Miller up the gut for a 4 yard gain. And punting with 4:41 remaining in the game down by 14. I really feel like limiting called W runs fits into this category as well. Yes, W has a lot of yards rushing this year but none of it by design. The QB keepers and the plays run out of the same sets were something that teams had to contend with last year that kept them on their toes rather than pinning their ears back and coming after W. It’s legit to modify the playbook for your franchise QB’s safety, but when those modifications end up actually putting him more in harm’s way, it’s time to go back to what was working.

Man Max, you’re really going to eat crow when BOB turns things around this year. I’m not saying he won’t, but great coaches should learn from the past and not have these slow starts we consistently see w/ BOB. Belichick was 36-44 in 5 seasons with the Browns and I don’t think it would happen, but maybe BOB has that kind of turnaround in his future and everything just gels. I think a change of scenery helped Belichick make that leap. I say it’s time for BOB to have a change of scenery and let someone else figure out if he can make that kind of leap as well.

The only question is how do we keep Crennell without promoting him after we fire Buttchin.

Fire Buttchin midseason.....preferably at the start of the teams bye-week. Give the reins to RC under the explicit understanding that it's just to finish the season.

Gaine and Cal immediately identify Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) and Lincoln Riley (OU) as the two candidates they will pursue once permission is granted.

I'd still be more comfortable in hiring Jim Harbaugh b/c of his prior NFL HC'ing experience.....no teeth cutting required.

I watch the games to I can talk to y'all about what I see in how the team is run/plays called/how good the personnel is etc....

If I have other things to do I will do them. But I wont ever commit emotionally to a franchise owned by the McNair's. As Bob McNair said after Buds funeral. He admired Bud and saw Bud as one of his mentors. That was enough to keep me from getting emotionally involved. These days the only emotion I have regarding the Texans is LOL after watching them play like crap. I mean Sunday was a hoot, not covering the gunners. Not being able to get a pass rush against 3rd string OT's. 17 second last play of the game. I almost fell out of my chair in laughter.

cares so little he goes to every game and waste countless hours arguing and discussing things with other users on here. You can act like your not emotionally invested in this team, but your actions say other wise

Well said, Uncle Rico. But it's the Houston Texans ownership that is becoming a problem and is the most frustrating to people. Bob McNair has rubbed people the wrong way for a long time now. Too many disappointing seasons and some really dumb comments he's made over the years. We started off as an expansion team in 2002. We've had three head coaches and sixteen years later we're an 0-2 team that is staring another long season in the face.

It also doesn't help that the other two pro teams in this city have great ownership: Jim Crane with the Astros and Tillman Ferttita with the Rockets. Now that being said, Cal McNair will soon take over. He can't be any worse than his father.

Also, at least for me, Texans tickets are way too expensive!
And the product on the field isn't worth me splurging for.
The last three Texans games I went to I was invited by a friend.

Becoming the problem, man they've been the problem. But guess what, aren't we happy we have a NFL team.

You wanted Kubiak gone after 4 seasons, he began with nothing (Andre and a mediocre kicker) and spent his entire career with Rick Smith. O'Brien began with a roster that had won 12 games and sent 9 players to the ProBowl in a single season, with Keenum as a potential starting quarterback. You say you want to see what O'Brien can do with a complete team? I'd like to see O'Brien make the team BETTER for once. Hell, I'm not sure if a head coach has ever been gifted a more complete team.

I wanted Kubiak gone because he had an elective surgery and missed the combine after celebrating a 9-7 season against the weakest schedule I've ever seen. (A Texans tradition under 2 different regimes tells me this attitude comes from ownership. Good is good enough.) Kubiak had his handpicked assistant Smith and after 4 yrs I could tell they weren't going to bring a championship to this city. I know you disagree with this but lets just agree to disagree and move on.

BTW, What did Kubiak really win while he was here?

cares so little he goes to every game and waste countless hours arguing and discussing things with other users on here. You can act like your not emotionally invested in this team, but your actions say other wise

I do what my family enjoys doing and hope you would do the same. I enjoy talking football with friends I've made here over the yrs.

Laughter is an emotion. I currently treat the Texans org like I did the Oilers after Denver/Buffalo and really wouldn't care if the McNair's moved the team somewhere else.

Like many of you (probably), I have a myriad of feelings towards BOB in light of the mixed successes here and there. The Hard Knocks series gave me an appreciation and a compassion for the man, I doubt anyone can sit here and defend the position that BOB is not a great person. Then there's Watson's brief season last year... The playcalling, the execution, the creativeness all seemed to marry into this beautiful and powerful machine of an offense, even with the lackluster O-line. Now this year's poor start and situational awareness blunders by the Texans and BOB have me re-evaluating him all over again simply because it's the Houstonian's nature to do so.

For me personally, I have not given up on the man. I think our fan base is so hungry for success that we tend to overlook the positives and beat the dead horse on the negatives - although the negatives always seem to compromise our ability to win a game. I've pretty much conceded to the fact that we will probably never win a conference championship or superbowl with JJ and other core players, that window is closing and closing fast. But I see what BOB and Gaine did with this last draft and offseason- specifically Ejiofor (steal), Thomas and Aikens, Reid, Rankin... Coutee is still up in the air, but looks promising. These are huge positives, and we did it without a 1st or 2nd. I cant wait to see what they can do with a full hand of draft picks and a better crop of FA's.

Improving game and situational awareness is a relatively simple fix. I'd be much more pessimistic if these coaching decisions were coupled with bonehead draft picks. But in the short sample size we have with BOB and Gaine, I'm much more willing to play devil's advocate and give BOB a little more time.

O’Brian is going nowhere, at least two or three more seasons. Ownership is steadfast loyal and he’s on good terms with Gaine.

What’s totally unacceptable is the medical side that’s failed to identify risk, treat conditions and prevent/minimize injury’s, hamstrings for example. Something has to change and contracts tied more to productivity. Guaranteed money in this business should be avoided.

This affects all teams/players and begs question why NFL doesn’t have a farm system, slimmed down, to Baseball. There is a market for it I believe and would be a boom for the National Football league. Offering more opportunity, for minority’s, timely and safe way for players to rehab, add another layer of depth so a teams season is at less risk, improve testing of new equipment/medical advances, new rule changes, referee development, in general a boom for all involved.

O’Brian is going nowhere, at least two or three more seasons. Ownership is steadfast loyal and he’s on good terms with Gaine.

What’s totally unacceptable is the medical side that’s failed to identify risk, treat conditions and prevent/minimize injury’s, hamstrings for example. Something has to change and contracts tied more to productivity. Guaranteed money in this business should be avoided.

This affects all teams/players and begs question why NFL doesn’t have a farm system, slimmed down, to Baseball. There is a market for it I believe and would be a boom for the National Football league. Offering more opportunity, for minority’s, timely and safe way for players to rehab, add another layer of depth so a teams season is at less risk, improve testing of new equipment/medical advances, new rule changes, referee development, in general a boom for all involved.

O'Brien may be on good ground with Gaine but Cal will soon be the new guy at the top. RS must've bounced his desire to get rid of O'Brien off Cal on many occasions since Daddy didn't want to hear nothing about firing O'Brien. If O'Brien and the Texans take it on the chin from both NYG and the Browns....it could be Cal who makes the decision to let O'Brien go this season.

O'Brien may be on good ground with Gaine but Cal will soon be the new guy at the top. RS must've bounced his desire to get rid of O'Brien off Cal on many occasions since Daddy didn't want to hear nothing about firing O'Brien. If O'Brien and the Texans take it on the chin from both NYG and the Browns....it could be Cal who makes the decision to let O'Brien go this season.

I have a good feeling about Cal. He may be the one to not take any bullsh*t. There’s always that ONE in every family, no matter how nice or respectful he’s been brought up to be. Hopefully he’s more of a risk taker and goes after a head coach that can get something done! The team needs an actual scheme/identity, a competent HC, OC, and we should be good to go. As long as the GM does his job, of course.

I have a good feeling about Cal. He may be the one to not take any bullsh*t. There’s always that ONE in every family, no matter how nice or respectful he’s been brought up to be. Hopefully he’s more of a risk taker and goes after a head coach that can get something done! The team needs an actual scheme/identity, a competent HC, OC, and we should be good to go. As long as the GM does his job, of course.

20 years from now I look forward to the picture of a senile Cal McNair wearing a "Deep Steel Blue" suit and a Texans logo tie flipping off the city of Houston with both hands as he watches the last truck pull out of their now empty practice facility on their way to "Who knows where".

Reactions: ROO

I know it's just a typo but combined with my own tired eyes and randomly semi-dyslexic mind I saw that as "O'Brain" and just like that I have a new name for Bill O'Brien. Henceforth he shall be "Bill O'Brain" the smartest offensive mind in the building on any given Monday.

I know it's not original but it just now struck me as perfect so I'm keeping it.

Different response for different part of your post.

I don't think you'll ever see a football farm system of any kind and I actually expect us to see less football before we die than more of it. The sport is a debilitating activity that tears your body down and causes a multitude of issues in the men who play it. It's an enormous cash cow, a virtual money printing machine right now but I already know a lot of parents who won't let their kids play football at school anymore and I can't even say I blame them. I'm not one of the people who think it will ever disappear completely but I don't think the promise of more opportunity is really something to get excited about. More opportunity to beat your head into mush and eventually snap and commit suicide? No, it's got to change and change a lot before anyone can really get excited about more people playing football even longer than through college.

I suspect that the sport will not even remotely resemble what we saw in the 70's in another 20-30 years. Maybe a flag-football type of game or something resembling a cross between basketball and football. A game based almost entirely on speed/passing/catching and omitting almost all of the intentional collisions and impact will eventually show up and replace it. Today's football will look like the old leather helmet guys to people who play that version.

I know it's just a typo but combined with my own tired eyes and randomly semi-dyslexic mind I saw that as "O'Brain" and just like that I have a new name for Bill O'Brien. Henceforth he shall be "Bill O'Brain" the smartest offensive mind in the building on any given Monday.

I know it's not original but it just now struck me as perfect so I'm keeping it.

Hey whatever floats your boat and helps you get through this.

I'm not usually a great fan of this guy, but boy did he hit the nail on the head with this assessment:

It's truly remarkable how poorly coached the Texans are. In the first 10 minutes of last week's game, they had two holding penalties, an offside infraction, a missed field goal and a surrendered touchdown on a fake punt. Bill O'Brien was completely clueless and had no idea how to turn things around. He's the worst head coach in the NFL right now, and while I normally don't advocate firing a head coach during the season because there usually isn't a point to make a hasty move, I would can him immediately before he does more damage to Deshaun Watson's career.

Watson has regressed horribly under O'Brien. Watson was great in several games last year, but he looks lost right now. He would make several great throws versus the Titans, but constantly follow it up with an egregious blunder. I have no idea what he was thinking when he lofted a helpless pass to DeAndre Hopkins in double coverage when he was in field goal range at one point. That ended up costing the Texans the game...

...There's no way you're going to get me to lay six points with a team as poorly coached as the Texans. I'm not saying that they can't win this game by a touchdown or more, but I think it's more likely that O'Brien will find a way to goof things up somehow. It amazes me how incompetent he is, but I've already ranted about him.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2018_03early.php

Yeah he sucks. He can stop the act. Guys never developed into anything Or won anything. Show me something or see the door Bill. You’re just a pretender

& yet for all his suckiness he’s somehow managed to make it as far in the playoffs as the more coveted HC kubiak..

& yet for all his suckiness he’s somehow managed to make it as far in the playoffs as the more coveted HC kubiak..

Not including Denver of course. But I'd argue those kubiak teams with foster, Andre and that OL we're way better.

20 years from now I look forward to the picture of a senile Cal McNair wearing a "Deep Steel Blue" suit and a Texans logo tie flipping off the city of Houston with both hands as he watches the last truck pull out of their now empty practice facility on their way to "Who knows where".

I wont miss him or his team at all.

What gives you this feeling.

Bob/Cal look like they come from a scene from Smokey and the Bandit. A great movie but no way to live your life.

I feel your pain, man.

I should clarify that I still care about the Texans. I mean, I'm here chatting about them, and I watch/listen/read about them almost daily (along with lots of other NFL news), and heck I'm even going to the Giants game on Sunday (thanks Greg!) and I'm even wearing my hard hat (since 2002!).

I guess I perceive caring and emotional attachment as two different things, but maybe I'm weird that way to protect myself from severe disappointment. Call it a sort of leftover fan-PTSD from 35-3 and all the other Oilers heartbreak over the years.

And while I care, my "emotional investment" is tempered by objective pragmatism. I never felt like the Kubiak/Schaub teams had what it took to beat the Patriots (much less the Ravens), so I never let myself get too much into expectations.

And it's the same with Bill O'Brien's Texans. There's just something intangible that feels off about his teams. It's not effort or toughness or heart or whatever, but just something deeper that I can't quite pinpoint that won't let me truly believe in them.

I still watch, set my week's schedule knowing there's a game, and my calendar revolves around football season. Until I know it's a 4-12 season, then I'm just watching the DVR.

So the sort of cynical fan thing on my part is due to just not believing in the leadership and coaching of the team. I do think Watson has what it takes, but I'm concerned that O'Brien coaches it out of him and puts blinders on him to take away that magic quality he had in 2017.

He's got a lot of boot left to fill

Through their 1st 79 games;

Nuk - 413 catches, 5,865 yards, 36 TD, 14.2 YPC.
AJ- 438 catches, 5,704 yards, 28 TD, 13.02 YPC.

Yes, Nuk has a long way to go still, but he's right on pace if not better. AJ had basically 2 QB for most of his career, throw in a Rosenfels, Banks here and there. Nuk has had 10. Schaub, Case, Fitz, Mallett, Hoyer, Yates, Weeden, Savage, Osweiler, and Watson with his playing time with Brock being the most at 14 games, followed by Fitzpatrick 12, Case 10, Yates and Hoyer 9 each.

If this guy ever gets a QB he can connect with for more than less than a season's worth of games......

Through their 1st 79 games;

Nuk - 413 catches, 5,865 yards, 36 TD, 14.2 YPC.
AJ- 438 catches, 5,704 yards, 28 TD, 13.02 YPC.

Yes, Nuk has a long way to go still, but he's right on pace if not better. AJ had basically 2 QB for most of his career, throw in a Rosenfels, Banks here and there. Nuk has had 10. Schaub, Case, Fitz, Mallett, Hoyer, Yates, Weeden, Savage, Osweiler, and Watson with his playing time with Brock being the most at 14 games, followed by Fitzpatrick 12, Case 10, Yates and Hoyer 9 each.

If this guy ever gets a QB he can connect with for more than less than a season's worth of games......

# of QBs doesn't mean inferior. Carrs 4 years with AJ the Texans had a QB rating that averaged about 75. Nuk has approached 90. Also there is team philosophy. AJs 1st 4 years the team averaged 2500 yds of passing. He got one year at just under 3400 when Schaub arrivedd. Nuk arrived as a rookie to a broke Schaub & UDFA Keenum that still threw for 3800 yds. So Nuke has had 5-6000 more yds of available passing game to share in. Obviously he helped create those yds but 1st the coaxhes had to go air at all.

In that context, imo AJ's 5704 yds is more impressive than Nuk's 5865 yds. AJ's stats are also in 9 less games.

In that context, imo AJ's 5704 yds is more impressive than Nuk's 5865 yds. AJ's stats are also in 9 less games.

No. That's 79 games for each. Yes, AJ had fewer games in his 1st 5 seasons, but those games that get him to 79 are added in my post.

Still, impressive for both either way you look at it. Just pointing out Nuk is on the right track. I'd like to see what happens with some consistency at QB.

Reactions: JB
Huh? Nuk missed 1 game, AJ 10. How's that get to 79 each?

What? In each of the player's 1st 79 games. If you missed a game then that doesn't count as a game. I don't care how many either one of them missed, they both eventually played in their 79th game. 79 is the number I used because that's how many games Nuk had played in in his 1st 5 seasons. AJ's 79th game wasn't until 11/9/08 against Baltimore in his 6th season. Come on man, it's not that hard.

If you want to include the 2 Nuk has played this season, 81 games total, it's Nuk 427/6053/37 in 81 games, AJ 452/5875/28 in 81 games.

Reactions: ROO
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back