Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From the from the normally Watson-friendly Ohio newspaper Akron Beacon Journal:

***********************************************************************************************************

Deshaun Watson's start a sloppy one

Watson has been the center of attention for the Browns since they acquired him in a trade with the Houston Texans in March. Of course, most of it has centered on the off-the-field allegations of sexual misconduct and sexual assault involving more than two-dozen women with whom he scheduled massages.

The six-game suspension handed down by disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson earlier this month still stands. Peter C. Harvey still has not ruled in the NFL's appeal of that decision. That appeal, and when it will finally arrive, hung over the Browns heading into the game.

No news was good news at least in terms of Watson being able to play. Had Harvey handed down a full-year suspension, that would've meant he would not have been able to play.

Instead, Watson got a chance to play for the first time since Jan. 3, 2021. It looked like his first game in almost two years.

Watson completed 1-of-5 passes for seven yards in three series. He was on the field for exactly eight plays, not counting accepted penalties.

His first pass was over the head of receiver Anthony Schwartz. Most of the other passes also seemed off the mark.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s a hell of a track record, ain’t it? Lol
Don't mess up the fanboys narrative with facts. I can't wait to see how he looks next season or even the season after that if more lawsuits are brought against Derrick. The Browns are going to get what they deserve in the long run.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What North Korea is to the world the Browns are to the NFL.
I realize everyone likes to bag on the Browns, because...they're the Browns. But they're only getting this treatment due to "winning" the Watson Derby and signing him to a fully guaranteed deal. At least seven other teams inquired about Watson or attempted to negotiate a deal with him. That's 25% of the teams in the league. And if you subtract the teams that have a settled QB situation, it's like 66% of the league.

Had Watson been traded to a team and played on the contract the Texans signed him, I don't think there would be the same backlash against the team he landed with that we're seeing with the Browns. As we saw in the Watson Derby, NFL teams don't hate Watson. They hate his new contract.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I realize everyone likes to bag on the Browns, because...they're the Browns. But they're only getting this treatment due to "winning" the Watson Derby and signing him to a fully guaranteed deal. At least seven other teams inquired about Watson or attempted to negotiate a deal with him. That's 25% of the teams in the league. And if you subtract the teams that have a settled QB situation, it's like 66% of the league.

Had Watson been traded to a team and played on the contract the Texans signed him, I don't think there would be the same backlash against the team he landed with that we're seeing with the Browns. As we saw in the Watson Derby, NFL teams don't hate Watson. They hate his new contract.
I agree with you for the most part but you understate how bad the contract itself was but also who it was given to. Browns were the only team in that Watson Derby not only willing to give up three 1st round picks but not just reset the QB market but completely blow it up and make any future contracts with high level QBs a nightmare for the whole league. On top of that they structured the contract in such a way as to protect that same QB from punishment and thumb their noses at anyone raising questions about it with their "We believe in Deshaun" mantra. All this for a guy that had over 2 dozen women saying he assaulted them and dozens more that who knows what happened with. Now with them and Watson staring down the barrel of the NFL's gun they are doubling down and trying to act like they are the victims here.

So yeah I agree other teams were courting Watson as well but the Browns threw any dignity and morals in the trash and just handed Watson a bottle of lube and then bent over.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Pretty much. Everytime something is mentioned, its the contract.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I agree with you for the most part but you understate how bad the contract itself was but also who it was given to. Browns were the only team in that Watson Derby not only willing to give up three 1st round picks but not just reset the QB market but completely blow it up and make any future contracts with high level QBs a nightmare for the whole league. On top of that they structured the contract in such a way as to protect that same QB from punishment and thumb their noses at anyone raising questions about it with their "We believe in Deshaun" mantra. All this for a guy that had over 2 dozen women saying he assaulted them and dozens more that who knows what happened with. Now with them and Watson staring down the barrel of the NFL's gun they are doubling down and trying to act like they are the victims here.

So yeah I agree other teams were courting Watson as well but the Browns threw any dignity and morals in the trash and just handed Watson a bottle of lube and then bent over.
So, just because the other teams in pursuit didn't offer a new contract, they now have dignity? In my opinion, the money and blowing up the qb market shouldn't be part of it. These are 32 corporations operating under the guise of a partnership, but they're not. Remember when Al Davis was alive and he consistently gave players guaranteed roster bonuses because they were cash strapped? The other owners whined and cried. Snyder used to always reset the market. You are worth what the market says you're worth. I agree, Watson, based on his off the field transgressions shouldn't have been the lead dog in fully guaranteed contracts. Oh wait, he wasn't, that would be Kirk Cousins of all people.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
None of what the Browns did was against the rules. Plenty of teams could have given fully guaranteed contracts to their players before the Browns did for Watson. The Chiefs for Mahomes. The Bills for Allen. The Ravens can (and haven't) for Jackson. That Watson was first was because of competition for the player. Haslam broke the gentlemen's agreement, and his fellow owners went ape shiite. I had never heard an NFL owner criticize Watson's behavior prior to the original ruling by Judge Robinson. But I did hear complaining about the contract. We're certain to hear about collusion from the NFLPA if/when they file suit against the NFL.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So, just because the other teams in pursuit didn't offer a new contract, they now have dignity? In my opinion, the money and blowing up the qb market shouldn't be part of it. These are 32 corporations operating under the guise of a partnership, but they're not. Remember when Al Davis was alive and he consistently gave players guaranteed roster bonuses because they were cash strapped? The other owners whined and cried. Snyder used to always reset the market. You are worth what the market says you're worth. I agree, Watson, based on his off the field transgressions shouldn't have been the lead dog in fully guaranteed contracts. Oh wait, he wasn't, that would be Kirk Cousins of all people.
They had the dignity not to possibly throw their entire team's future away to chase a guy who's on field production didn't match his contract demands and who's off filed antics means he should never play again. Also the fact you compare a three year 84 million dollar contract to a 5 year 230 million dollar new contract shows your are grasping at straws. Particularly since Cousins might not have gotten to play due to injury, Watson might not get to play due to being a sexual predator. Believe it or not I'm not knocking Watson or his agent for taking the money, I would have to, but lets not pretend that the Browns were better business people than the other teams.

A gambler at the high roller table beating everything on red is not a better player than the guy at the regular table just betting what he can afford to lose.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
None of what the Browns did was against the rules. Plenty of teams could have given fully guaranteed contracts to their players before the Browns did for Watson. The Chiefs for Mahomes. The Bills for Allen. The Ravens can (and haven't) for Jackson. That Watson was first was because of competition for the player. Haslam broke the gentlemen's agreement, and his fellow owners went ape shiite. I had never heard an NFL owner criticize Watson's behavior prior to the original ruling by Judge Robinson. But I did hear complaining about the contract. We're certain to hear about collusion from the NFLPA if/when they file suit against the NFL.
Did I say it was against the rules? Again not blaming Watson or his agent just wondering why some on here seem to agree with the Browns and think they are playing 4D chess with the rest of the NFL. They gave up three 1st round picks, one of the biggest contract in NFL history that is fully guaranteed and all for a player that at the very least won't get to play the 6 games and has never taken a team past the first game in the playoffs. Oh and on top of that they pissed off the best QB they have had in franchise history and had to pay the lion's share of his salary just to trade him. All this is to say nothing for what their fans and the media are saying though I will grant you if they win both of those groups will forgive them. Nothing about what they have done makes good business sense except they can now say "We have a QB". If they don't win in the next 3 years they have set themselves back for the better part of a decade for nothing.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
They had the dignity not to possibly throw their entire team's future away to chase a guy who's on field production didn't match his contract demands and who's off filed antics means he should never play again. Also the fact you compare a three year 84 million dollar contract to a 5 year 230 million dollar new contract shows your are grasping at straws. Particularly since Cousins might not have gotten to play due to injury, Watson might not get to play due to being a sexual predator. Believe it or not I'm not knocking Watson or his agent for taking the money, I would have to, but lets not pretend that the Browns were better business people than the other teams.

A gambler at the high roller table beating everything on red is not a better player than the guy at the regular table just betting what he can afford to lose.
The mere fact that Cousins was even considered for a fully guaranteed contract off 1 playoff appearence says something right? Again, all those teams that were in pursuit of Watson aren't anymore dignified than the Browns. That's not including the teams in the division that were taken out of the equation because they were in the division. No grasping, I'm just stating the fact you stated about blowing up the qb market when in fact got a fully guarnteed deal to leaving Washington. Then because it was fully guaranteed, they had to add years more years.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Is the money the biggest issue or is it the fact that Watson has been empowered similar to the way Durant, LeBron, Simmons and Hardin have been with the guaranteed contract?

I think the latter has a big effect too. If not the biggest. You can’t have the patients running the asylum…

Had Watson not had a guaranteed contract I think he would have been quicker to be more apologetic and remorseful. It would have been a better look for the NFL. He has lied during the NFL investigation. But he has all his money what does he care so he can do what he pleases. That is why we see an attempt at a compromise on punishment at the last minute.

I am sure Goodell and the other owners are getting more pissed off at that as time goes on than the money. They have limited control until the nuclear option. (But the money still pisses them off too.)

Earl34

Hall of Fame
So, Watson was 1-5 for 7 yards. His first pass in a game in over a year was high. He threw one low pass and had a WR drop two other passes. I don't get the overreaction one way or the other. In fact, I don't even understand why the Browns played him to throw five passes.

Just another weird day and reaction in the Watson rabbit hole.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sane people don't like that a sexual predator is doing his best to beat the system.

It's looking like even if he sits out this yr, (like he sat out last year) he won't be affected by his punishment. That's unless after this year more women come out of the woodwork, which is entirely possible.

I personally think he should have to sit out 66 games. One game for every woman he pulled this perverted crap on.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The better story would’ve been….the Browns break the huddle and Watson moves past the Center and bends over the ball while smiling and looking over his shoulder. Center looks to the sideline and raises his hands in frustration while yelling to the coach, would you please tell Deshaun I’m not the QB…..this shites getting old.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Add another C who evidently found Watson's butt distasteful. Unfortunate for the Browns new rookie C, Dawson Deaton, he tore his ACL in yesterday's practice and is now on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.