Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haslam: Did we give Deshaun Watson a second chance because he’s a star QB? Well, of course
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 18, 2022, 1:23 PM EDT

As the Browns, Deshaun Watson and the NFL attempt to spin their way into getting the public to accept Watson’s 11-game suspension as a sufficient punishment for two dozen allegations of inappropriate actions toward female massage therapists, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam briefly let some candor slip.

Speaking today about why the Browns are standing by Watson and eager to hand him their starting quarterback job after the 11-game suspension ends, Haslam initially spoke about his belief in second chances.

“Is he never supposed to play again? Is he never supposed to be a part of society? Does he get no chance to rehabilitate himself? That’s what we’re gonna do,” Haslam said.

But then Haslam acknowledged the obvious: This isn’t about Haslam’s support of second chances, it’s about Haslam’s desire to have a franchise quarterback.

“You can say that’s because he’s a star quarterback. Well, of course,” Haslam acknowledged.

And that’s ultimately what the Browns’ pursuit of Watson, their decision to pull off an enormous trade involving three first-round draft picks for Watson, and their decision to give Watson the biggest guaranteed contract in NFL history is all about: He’s a star quarterback, and the Browns are willing to overlook a lot to get a star quarterback. Of course.

giphy.gif

Editorial: Deshaun Watson’s ‘Sorry, not sorry’ apology and the sorry state of the NFL
The Houston Chronicle Editorial Board
Aug. 19, 2022Updated: Aug. 19, 2022 3:14 p.m.

How long does it take to rehabilitate a credibly accused serial sexual abuser? About 11 NFL games, apparently.

After the dozens of accusations, the grand juries, the civil suits, the 23 settlements, the disciplinary review and now, the appeal, NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson received his punishment this week from the league: an 11-game suspension and $5 million in fines.

From the cheap seats, it looks like the perfect PR-constructed punishment: hinting at seriousness while not damaging anyone’s bottom line. The suspension is without pay but Watson still has his massive five-year contract with the Cleveland Browns worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The Browns, meanwhile, get a break from the distraction as the season starts but can count on having him back in time for the playoffs. And the NFL gets the promise of a blockbuster return when Watson will presumably take his place on the field to face off against his former team, the Texans — here in Houston at NRG Stadium, no less.

Are you ready for some football? Yes!

Accountability? Not so much.

“I’m moving on with my career, with my life, and I’ll continue to stand on my innocence,” said the former Texans player in a news conference at his current team’s training facility this week. “Just because settlements and things like that happen doesn’t mean that a person is guilty for anything.”
We can see a whole line of T-shirts capitalizing on that notion: “Settlements happen.”

Watson issued a sort of apology to “everyone that was affected about the situation” but has maintained he did nothing wrong. Not an auspicious start to the rehabilitation process.

And also not quite what the disciplinary review process determined. Former U.S. District Judge Sue L. Robinson was appointed by both the league and the players union under a new system agreed to in 2020. Robinson ruled earlier this month that Watson had violated the league’s personal conduct policy and committed non-violent sexual assault. She described his behavior as predatory and egregious.

The six-game suspension she handed down, however, was met with immediate criticism by many who pointed out that Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley had just recently been suspended for an entire season for gambling on NFL games.

The focus on a single player, however, would be a mistake. There is more than enough disappointment to go around. Domestic violence and sexual assault are routinely minimized by the league. The Miami Herald compiled a nauseating list of notable past punishments.

2017: Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, six games. Domestic violence.

2015: Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy, 10 games, later reduced to four games. Domestic violence.

2010: Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, six games, later reduced to four games. Sexual assault.

For years, the league has been promising to change its way and “take a stricter stance on domestic violence and sexual assault and hire more female executives,” according to reporting by the New York Times earlier this year that included interviews with more than 30 former NFL staff members who said little has changed.

In the case of Watson, multiple teams decided to look the other way in the face of numerous accusations. First, the Texans helped make the massage appointments for Watson off-campus and, after one woman threatened to expose his actions, provided him with a non-disclosure form that he then seemed to use to tried to shield himself from his own bad behavior, according to the New York Times. Then, the Browns decided the full-guaranteed $230 million contract they offered was just reward for a player that they now have to pretend they are equally invested in helping rehabilitate.

Indeed, counseling is part of the punishment and everyone around Watson is acting as if the player has taken it upon himself to embark on a tough journey of self-reflection and maturation.

“Deshaun has committed to doing the hard work on himself that is necessary for his return to the NFL,” said league commissioner Roger Goodell.
“Counseling takes time,” echoed Browns co-owner Dee Haslam. “He’s making progress, but it’s not going to happen overnight.”

We believe in second chances, as Browns co-owner Jimmy Haslam has said. We believe in rehabilitation if, as it sounds, Watson struggles with an addiction of sorts. But how sincere is a rehabilitation effort ensnared in the institution that has questionable commitment to doing the right thing in such cases? Multiple teams looked the other way and now that they can’t, they want credit for something they are required to do.

Watson has not been found guilty of a crime, it’s true. But his behavior crossed the line repeatedly, so much so that people around him went above and beyond to help protect him. They still are. He’s apologized, saying he regretted his actions, and then followed up with a complete about-face. And the powers that be have rushed to fill in the silence of this discrepancy with faux conciliatory sentiments about growth and Watson being the best person he can be.

“The Browns are suckers if they believe him and frauds if they don’t,” writes Michael Rosenberg with Sports Illustrated. “Which is worse?”
And which describes the Texans best?

In a public statement Haslam assured fans that he understood “how emotional it is” as he stood beside Watson all but holding his hand.
So do all these hugely wealthy, hugely powerful, hugely influential people really not get why so many of us are upset or do they just not care as long as they keep getting paid?

1661036063135.png
Deshaun Watson and the Browns Look Worse Than Ever
The team has forfeited its right to take moral stands down the road, and shouldn’t count on its QB conducting himself with basic human decency.
MICHAEL ROSENBERG
AUG 18, 2022

Deshaun Watson still doesn’t get it, and the Browns don’t care if he does. He keeps acting like the wronged party, incapable of self-reflection, saying things he doesn’t mean and then admitting he doesn’t mean them, totally focused on advancing his own interests, and why shouldn’t he?

That’s what the Browns are paying him to do.

After the NFL and its players union settled Thursday on an 11-game suspension and $5 million fine, plus counseling, Watson walked back his phony half-apology before last week’s preseason game, saying “I’m going to continue to stand on my innocence” and that he apologized because “a lot of people that are triggered.” He said, “I have to do what’s best for Deshaun Watson at the end of the day,” like empathy is a character flaw. The Browns are suckers if they believe in him and frauds if they don’t. Which is worse?

Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam acted like not commenting on Watson’s conduct is some kind of principled position. Jimmy Haslam applauded himself for respecting the NFL’s disciplinary process as though he had a choice. He also said, “We as an organization realize how sensitive it is, how emotional it is,” which was infuriatingly condescending, the organizational equivalent of “we understand you’re mad.”

Dee Haslam kept saying “counseling is a process,” and Browns general manager Andrew Berry said, “The journey for personal growth, it’s a process.” Yeah, sure, but why did these processes have to start with a record-breaking fully guaranteed $230 million contract? Why did Jimmy Haslam say last week that Watson is “remorseful” when Watson made it very clear Thursday that he isn’t? How did the Haslams and Berry manage to stand up there when they clearly have no backbone?

The Browns are trying to rationalize their way to a championship, and they think we’re too gullible to see it.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Cleveland Browns Linemen Visibly Terrified When Deshaun Watson is Under Center
Kyle Qualls
Aug 20

Berea, OH — Reports from Browns training camp indicate that their offensive lineman range from mildly uncomfortable to completely terrified for their safety when new quarterback Deshaun Watson is under center.

“We’re obviously all aware of the allegations. It’s hard not to think about when you’re bent over and he gets close behind you and sticks his hand in your crotch,” said Browns center Ethan Pocic.

In practice, fans have observed lineman wincing when Watson suddenly shouts an audible at the line of scrimmage and sweating before they even take the field. During one instance, a single tear trickled down Pocic’s face when Watson lingered a suspiciously long time before signaling to snap the ball.

This anxiety is most apparent from the fact that the Browns have 64 false start penalties through two preseason games which leads the NFL.

Reports also indicate that after practice, the offensive line is consistently the last position group to finish showering.

FMIA: A Divided Cleveland Reckons With Deshaun Watson Reality and Why Rams Trust in Raheem Morris

CLEVELAND—On the 300 level of First Energy Stadium, in the concourse a half-hour before kickoff of the Browns’ preseason game, I observed the scene.

In the Cleveland Browns Pro Shop, four jerseys were for sale, two on top of two. Top two: Myles Garrett’s 95 and Nick Chubb’s 24. Bottom two: Denzel Ward’s 21, Deshaun Watson’s 4. I asked a shopper, young woman, if she’d buy a Watson jersey. “Too soon,” she said.

Outside, I posted up to count the passersby for 15 minutes. Of 163 jerseys I counted on fans, I saw Kosar, Manziel, Mayfield, Garrett (the most), Chubb, Beckham Jr., (Jim) Brown, (Joe) Thomas, even an Owusu-Koramoah. Zero Watsons.

Guy passed me in the concourse with a NEXT YEAR DAMMIT Browns T-shirt.

I stopped a 30-ish fan in Browns garb, Quinton from Lorain, Ohio, and asked if he supported the team acquiring Watson. “I thought it was a good deal,” Quinton said. “It’s tricky. On the one hand, he never got found guilty of anything in a court of law, so what do we really know? But I’m conflicted because I feel for the women if something really did happen.”

“City seems divided,” I said.

“It really is,” Quinton said. “Lots of people have strong feelings on both sides.”

“What’ll it be like when Watson plays for the Browns in December?” I asked.

“What do they say? Time heals all wounds? If he wins, it’ll be forgotten.”

South of the city, an architect and former mega-Browns fan, Kyle Marvin, was not as forgiving as Quinton from Lorain. Marvin hates the Watson trade and signing. He ignored the Browns-Eagles game on local TV Sunday. He’s been a religious Browns’ watcher and tailgater, the kind who gets to the tailgate lot at 6 a.m. on gamedays and delights (before Steeler games) in catcalling anyone wearing a Pittsburgh jersey.

“I have loved this team,” Marvin said from his home, “but I will not be a Browns fan this year. It’s going to be hard for me to be a Browns fan again. I’ll watch the NFL on TV, but not the Browns.”

I asked what his biggest issue with Watson and the Browns was.

“The lack of contrition by Watson,” Marvin said. “He continues to lie about what happened. Nobody’s being honest. If he’d just come out and say ‘I’m sorry,’ it’s a different story. And the Browns just keep supporting him.”

The Lead: CLE reacts

Now that the Watson reality has set in—he’ll be suspended for the first 11 games of the season, and fined $5 million, and made to undergo counseling to address what Roger Goodell called “predatory” behavior—closure allows the Browns to plan for the season and Watson to plan for an uncertain future that will include five weeks when he can have no contact with his team.

This, as one person in the middle of this maelstrom told me Sunday, “is a complicated, complicated, complicated story.”

There is closure, but there is not satisfaction. Watson issued a statement when the settlement was announced saying, “I take accountability for the decisions I made.” Shortly thereafter, before the press, he said, “I’ve always stood on my innocence … I never assaulted anyone or disrespected anyone.”

How does one person say—sort of—I’m sorry, and two hours later say, I’m not sorry for anything? It’s disingenuous absurdity. A few things I learned reporting on the Browns:

Watson has begun the league-mandate counseling, a source told me. My sense is the Browns hope that at some point Watson will understand what he either doesn’t understand or a denial he has been continually fed by his enablers—that he did nothing wrong. Very likely, the Browns believe counseling can help Watson get to the bottom of why he sought treatment from 66 massage therapists in 18 months, per the New York Times. That he has begun the counseling is a step in the right direction.

I would expect the Browns will look hard at adding a quarterback to supplement Jacoby Brissett. But tamp down the expectations that Jimmy Garoppolo is on the way. Not saying it’s impossible, but I don’t sense the Browns think the conditions are right for it. Too much money (unless the Niners pick up a ton of the obligation), lack of certainty on Garoppolo’s health with him coming back from shoulder surgery, and the difficulty of learning a new playbook overnight. Those are real issues. I doubt Cam Newton is in play either. But I do think the Browns will search for a challenger to backup Joshua Dobbs around the final cutdown next week.

I think the Browns gave Watson the $230-million guaranteed contract because they figured it was the only way they had a chance to get him. The Haslams have been pilloried for the contract, and rightfully so; Watson, even after his fine, will earn from the Browns $40 million in 2022. This is just my gut feeling, not something I was able to verify. But my gut tells me they felt they had only one chance after Watson told the team he was likely headed elsewhere after interviewing with four teams. Watson had Atlanta (near his home of Gainesville, Ga.), Carolina (near Clemson, his college) and New Orleans ahead of Cleveland on his wish list. How could the Browns differentiate themselves? A fully guaranteed contract. If you’re Jimmy Haslam, who had been through a slew of failed quarterbacks in his 9.5 years as owner, you might think: Taking an avalanche of criticism for a year will be worth it if I have my long-term QB on opening day 2023.

The league doesn’t like the 11-game suspension, but they wouldn’t have liked the continuing soap opera of this story if Watson had been banned for a season. I bet 90 percent of football fans, asked what they think of Watson being banned for 11 weeks with a $5-million fine, would have some significant problem with it. Either it’s too severe, not severe enough, or the league is soft, whatever. All of those positions can be argued. But the league just wanted this to end. Could they, would they have triumphed if the appeals office, Peter Harvey, had banned Watson for the season and the NFLPA fought it in court? Probably. At what cost? Two more months of Watson headlines? No thanks, they thought.

The plan for Watson during his suspension has some question marks. Mileposts along the way: Watson has to have no contact with the team from Aug. 30, when the suspension begins, until Oct. 9. He can return to the Browns facility on Oct. 10 and can be in meetings but can’t practice with the team for the next five weeks. On Nov. 14, 20 days before he is eligible to play, he can begin practicing with the team. I asked coach Kevin Stefanski Sunday about Watson’s work—presumably with private QB coach Quincy Avery—in the 41 days he’s away from the team with no supervision. “We can’t really direct that program,” Stefanski said. “Can’t check in day to day. Can’t watch him throw. He has a really good quarterback coach, Quincy Avery, so I know that they’ll have a plan of attack. It will be important for him to make sure that every day will count for him when it comes to the psychological part of this.”
I got the feeling that Watson will almost certainly start Dec. 4 in Houston, when he’s eligible to play, almost two years since he last played in a game. How ready will he be?

Stefanski: “It’s a totally fair question. There’s not a lot of examples of guys doing this. But Deshaun’s played a lot of football in his life. He’s played in a lot of big games, national championship games, playoff games. I think that he’s a player… that… say this the right way… in his young career, he’s had so many big moments that I think he’ll be ready to go. I’m not naive enough to say there won’t be some rust or whatever it may be because that’s a long time.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

Reactions: JB
This is a great article!!!!!

********************************************************************************************************************************

Cleveland Browns owner making a mockery of second chances with Deshaun Watson | David Whitley
David Whitley, The Gainesville Sun
Mon, August 22, 2022 at 1:41 PM·5 min read

The Walter Payton Man of the Year Award usually goes to a player. This season, it should go to an owner.
Jimmy Haslam of the Cleveland Browns deserves it for his humanitarian efforts on behalf of Deshaun Watson.

Oh sure, you may think Haslam’s a soulless schmuck for signing someone who’s been accused of sexual misconduct by half the massage therapists in Texas. But as Haslam explained, he was just following one of America’s core tenets.

No, not that it’s okay to sign a serial killer if he can help you win a championship. Haslam believes the Founding Fathers would have signed Watson out of a spirit of forgiveness.

“I think in this country, and hopefully in the world, people deserve second chances,” Haslam said. “Is he never supposed to be a part of society? Does he get no chance to rehabilitate himself?”

Yes, he does. Perhaps at a 12-step massage-therapy addiction clinic where he learns the meaning of the word “remorse.” After agreeing to an 11-game suspension and $5 million fine last week, Watson was still proclaiming his innocence.

Who else deserves second chance?

He sounds like O.J. Simpson, which gave me an idea. Haslam just wants people who’ve made mistakes to get second chances, right? If he really wants us to believe his Father Flanagan schtick, he should sign Simpson.
Sure, The Juice is 75. But Tom Brady will be playing at 75, and O.J. could use the money to help track down the real killers.

The Browns obviously need front office help. Harvey Weinstein might make a good CEO, and how about Bernie Madoff handle the team’s finances?
As for coach, the choice is obvious. Ohio State guy. NFL experience. Can get a little handsy around women.

Urban Meyer, come on down!

Seriously, the Urbanator doesn’t deserve a second chance. But he’s probably at least remorseful for his many Jacksonville mistakes. Haslam’s pet reclamation project still doesn’t think he did anything wrong. ...

Robyn Lockner, the head of the official Cleveland Browns Women’s Group, a mirror of Haslam, Watson and the pathetic supportive Browns fans. I used to feel empathy for Browns fans.......until this Watson fiasco..........now, I can't muster up even the least bit of sympathy. Hopefully, in the end they will all reap what they sow.

**********************************************************************************************

Deshaun Watson’s reputation is toxic, but do Cleveland Browns fans care?
Supremely talented quarterback has been tarnished by allegations of sexual misconduct

If I was a Cleveland Browns player I’d have severe reservations about that dude leading my team.

Beyond all the sexual allegations, even if not true, the dude quit on his team when things got rough for him.

What’s the chances he quits again if things get rough?

I'd assume that brain damage might have some potential lasting effects on parenting?

New Research Shows MMA Fighters Have Higher Risk of Brain Damage

I can't speak for all MMA fighters, but the one in that picture is clearly an asshat.

All I can speak to is my experience in mma gyms over the years and the wealth of amazing men and women I've met and gotten to know over those same years who are involved and caring parents to a very many happy, healthy kids. Not to mention the effects training and competing has had on me and my kids with regards to parenting, with my 21 yo son training literally as we speak to which I couldn't be happier.

And unless I'm mistaken CnD's post wasn't merely throwing up the odd consideration for a long-term issue with brain trauma and the possible effects on so many things with perhaps parenting being one of them, he made an exact connection that this person is a bad parent unquestionably because he competed in amateur mma for some time.

Of course that guys is an asshat. He's an asshat's asshat in fact. But to draw an absolute direct connection such as that is pretty weak, imo.

If I was a Cleveland Browns player I’d have severe reservations about that dude leading my team
I'm really surprised the players aren't making a bigger stink than they are. I understand towing the company line in public, but I'd be doing everything I can to provoke Watson until they're forced to trade me.

Especially since he's refused to admit any wrongdoing.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in 2nd chances, but that doesn't start until you know you need a 2nd chance.

Hhmm.. I'll have to look into some articles on the negative effects mma has on parenting.
You won't have to look too far.
All I can speak to is my experience in mma gyms over the years and the wealth of amazing men and women I've met and gotten to know over those same years who are involved and caring parents to a very many happy, healthy kids. Not to mention the effects training and competing has had on me and my kids with regards to parenting, with my 21 yo son training literally as we speak to which I couldn't be happier.

And unless I'm mistaken CnD's post wasn't merely throwing up the odd consideration for a long-term issue with brain trauma and the possible effects on so many things with perhaps parenting being one of them, he made an exact connection that this person is a bad parent unquestionably because he competed in amateur mma for some time.

Of course that guys is an asshat. He's an asshat's asshat in fact. But to draw an absolute direct connection such as that is pretty weak, imo.
I spoke specifically on the effect on Weaver's parenting skills......the signs, involving his son, says all that needs to be said.

Your parents are usually your greatest role models.

UFC: Do MMA Fighters Make Good Role Models?

Conor McGregor being called ‘bad role model’ is actually lazy parenting as MMA is too violent for young kids to watch anyway

Last edited:

Chris Benoit on training wheels and yes I know Benoit was WWE.

You won't have to look too far.

I spoke specifically on the effect on Weaver's parenting skills......the signs, involving his son, says all that needs to be said.

Your parents are usually your greatest role models.

UFC: Do MMA Fighters Make Good Role Models?

Conor McGregor being called ‘bad role model’ is actually lazy parenting as MMA is too violent for young kids to watch anyway

You spoke specifically on the negative effect simply practicing mma will absolutely have on one's parenting.

You're not honestly doubling down on this opinion, ya? It's silly..

Also if you are could you do so with more than a couple articles that don't really speak to the connection you're making between actually practicing mma and doing so resulting in being a legitimately bad parent?

Chris Benoit was a WWE wrestler who killed his wife and kid, then committed suicide. He had CTE.

Benoit also was famous for doing a flying headbutt and taking full force chair shots to the head, yes I've watched a lot of wrestling in my life, to make it look more real and doing all these things multiple times a week for decades. MMA fighters do actually try to protect themselves and they don't fight every week. All that being said yes this guy is dumb though I think he would be dumb even if he wasn't an MMA fighter.

The nfl is such a short lived career that those guys don't care about guys off the field. They want anyone on the team that can help them win. Go ask Shannon Sharpe about Bill Romanaski and the incident with JJ Stokes among other things. You don't think the Patriots players knew Hernandez was a bad individual? Hell, the Patriots knew he was a gang banger, but overlooked it because he could flat out ball. Players in general want the guys who give them the best chance to win, that's it. It's a sad state of affairs, but its the truth.

From Yardbarker.

Funny, Haslam makes the moves and Stefanski gets to occupy the "hot seat"? The organization and its fans are dumber than I originally gave them credit for.

1661386317607.png
1661386389187.png
1661386479608.png :shades:

From Yardbarker.

Funny, Haslam makes the moves and Stefanski gets to occupy the "hot seat"? The organization and its fans are dumber than I originally gave them credit for.

View attachment 10572
View attachment 10573
View attachment 10574 :shades:

Wait a minute. I don't mean to come off as a Haslam apologist. But to be fair, this writer is just speculating right? He is saying based on Haslam's history with Hugh Jackson and Freddie Kitchens not lasting more than three years he is projecting the same thing on Stefanski.

In fact, after a quick Google search, I would even go further and say not only is this writer speculating, but he's also plagiarizing a month-old article that was written before the 11 game suspension. Also, this article states, the Browns have been through 12 HCs in 23 years. So, firing HCs seems to be a Browns way of life.

Cleveland Browns: 3 reasons Kevin Stefanski could be on hot seat (dawgpounddaily.com)

Wait a minute. I don't mean to come off as a Haslam apologist. But to be fair, this writer is just speculating right? He is saying based on Haslam's history with Hugh Jackson and Freddie Kitchens not lasting more than three years he is projecting the same thing on Stefanski.

In fact, after a quick Google search, I would even go further and say not only is this writer speculating, but he's also plagiarizing a month-old article that was written before the 11 game suspension. Also, this article states, the Browns have been through 12 HCs in 23 years. So, firing HCs seems to be a Browns way of life.

Cleveland Browns: 3 reasons Kevin Stefanski could be on hot seat (dawgpounddaily.com)
Good catch. Then again, to be fair, there was little doubt a month ago that Watson was going to have a substantial suspension. And still, the unsuccessful history of the Browns has had one consistent factor......not the decision-making of the coach, nor of the the GM, nor of the QB...........just the truck stop crook at the top.

Cleveland..........just shut up! :hankpalm:

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Joel Bitonio responds to backlash for his “Cleveland against the world” comments
Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2022, 6:33 AM EDT

After Jaguars fans gave Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson a hostile reception in the 2022 preseason opener, Browns offensive lineman Joel Bitonio said, “It seems like more than ever, Cleveland against the world, so we’ll be ready for it.”

Plenty of people reacted to Bitonio’s remarks, given the context, by siding with the world.

On Wednesday, Bitonio reacted to the backlash by sort of trying to play the “out of context” card.

Yeah, I noticed it,” Bitonio told reporters on Wednesday, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I noticed, and what I said was, we’re going to go to stadiums and we’re going to get booed by people no matter who’s playing quarterback for us and as a team we come out and say ‘Cleveland against the world.’ If people want to take that in the wrong context or talk about it in the wrong context, that’s their opinion but I know we have good people on this team that are working hard and trying to be the best for the Cleveland Browns and that’s where I am at as a player who has been here for nine years, and if someone wants to think that I don’t love and appreciate things in my life, that’s their opinion. . . . But I know where I’m at and where I’m at with Cleveland and the people on this team.”

But that’s not what he said, and what he said was characterized in the proper context. The context was that, while the road team always gets booed, the road team that has Deshaun Watson as a member of the team will get booed even more, especially when Watson plays.

Bitonio basically reiterated that point on Wednesday.

“I’m sure every stadium we go, we’ll be booed,’’ Bitonio said. “I don’t know if it will get worse. I think people get tired of booing, you know? But I’m sure every time he goes out there, there’ll be some sort of boo to start the game and we’ll kind of go from there. . . . I think once Deshaun came out of the game we got booed less but you go to a road game, they boo you anyway, so you know what I mean? So we’ll see how it goes.”

Watson will relentlessly be booed, especially if he never abandons his ongoing insistence that he’s innocent. There will be boos. There will be chants. There will be signs. There will be a specific reason to direct greater, and specific, hostility at the Browns, because the Browns are the team that embraced Deshaun Watson. And Bitonio’s initial reaction to that reality was to basically embrace Watson, too, by saying, “Cleveland against the world.”

The Browns don’t seem to be embracing Bitonio’s latest remarks. The transcript that the team circulated after Bitonio’s press conference omitted the remarks. Also, as of the time this article was posted, the video of Bitonio’s latest meeting with reporters returns this message: “Fumble! Looks like there was a problem with the video.”

Yes, Browns, it looks like there was.

Is this really a surprise?..................Even if a Fed lawsuit was not successfull, Bob Kraft, Jerry Jones, Snyder certainly didn't want their books opened again..................confirms the Fed courts' categorizing the NFL as a "Cartel."

**************************************************************************************************************************

Did “multiple owners” urge Roger Goodell to suspend Deshaun Watson less than a full year?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2022, 5:43 AM EDT

When the NFL and quarterback Deshaun Watson agreed to an 11-game suspension and $5 million fine, a case could have been made that it would have been better for the Browns to have Watson miss a full year. That would have truly suspended Watson’s contract, pushing it back by a full year, keeping him under contract through 2027, and slashing his salary in 2023 from $46 million to the veteran minimum for a player with his level of experience (currently, that’s $1.035 million).

Some within league circles may have thought the same thing. As noted by Peter King in his new Football Morning in America column, a “prominent team executive” recently said this: “I think there were multiple owners who didn’t want Deshaun Watson suspended for the season, and told Roger Goodell that.”

An 11-game suspension results in the 2022 season counting under Watson’s contract, making him a free agent after 2026 and pushing his salary to $46 million in 2023. It brings Watson back with only six games remaining, making it very difficult for the Browns to realize significant value from Watson in the first year of his five-year deal.

Cleveland’s decision to give Watson a five-year, fully-guaranteed, $230 million contract has ruffled plenty of feathers. Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who now has to navigate the Watson deal when trying to sign Lamar Jackson to a long-term extension, spoke publicly about the Watson contract in March. As King reports it, some owners apparently spoke privately about not wanting Watson to be suspended for a full year, in what would be a bit of payback to the Browns for paying so much guaranteed money to Deshaun Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back