Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Demeco Ryans’ Staff

So, he'd basically be working for free during the remaining years of his AZ contract?

Yes, Kingsbury could stay at home and make say 5 million a year. He will get 5 million for working with 1 million from the Texans and 4 for the Cardinals. All these numbers are just for conversation.

I have been told to think about football contracts as with the NFL going through a particular team. If that makes sense.

Who are you talking about? Not Kliff Kingsbury, the former HC of the Cards who the Texans are interviewing for OC.

Ah, just saw your other post. You're talking about Burke. Too much news coming in all at once. I had just read about Kingsbury after the Burke post and had already switched tracks.

Yes, Kingsbury could stay at home and make say 5 million a year. He will get 5 million for working with 1 million from the Texans and 4 for the Cardinals. All these numbers are just for conversation.

I have been told to think about football contracts as with the NFL going through a particular team. If that makes sense.

Technically if he makes no attempt to get another job the cardinals could try to get out of paying. Nfl coaches contracts have a requirement that fired coaches attempt to get new work.

Rappaport says Klingsbury has deep connections to Caserio and Demeco Ryans. Didn't get specific about what those were.
Kingsbury also has ties to Bryce Young. While still in high school, Young's coach put together a highlight tape and sent it out to college coaches. Kingsbury, coach at Texas Tech, was the first to respond and got to know Young at that time.

Kingsbury would make a lot more sense if Texans had protected that #1 pick. If they hire him, with intention of trading up with Chicago to get Bryce, there is nothing more Texan.

:logo:

Kliff Kingsbury will be interviewing for Texan OC position.
Are you confirming position he interviewed for is OC as article as i recall said offensive position not specifically which one. If yes, what are your thoughts on odds of him versus Steichen?

I am happy DeMeco is interviewing a broad group of candidates and I trust he can pick a guy that shares his vision. I want a OC that coaches the details and does not accept sloppy play. 49'ers and Chiefs both focus on the details, plays look the same, but have different action, play action looks real... If he could land Steichen OC and KK as QB coach, that would be wow. DR said early on he wanted a deep staff because they will be poached over time as we improve, and he wants some prior experienced guys with youth. This will all come together guys, get out the popcorn. I did not see KK into the details or hard assing his players during hard knocks, so not a fan of him as OC, but I still trust in DR

Just admit you want an invite to Kingsbury's draft party.

E0J9EMtXEAgfR3Q.jpeg

I heard his girlfriend makes a killer spinach dip.

bielik-2.jpg

Are you confirming position he interviewed for is OC as article as i recall said offensive position not specifically which one. If yes, what are your that thoughts on odds of him versus Steichen?
He interviewed today for OC. This was a last minute eevent and I still believe Steichen is the front runner. I do have to say that with the Texans, one thing you can count on is that you can never count on anything. After the public negative interaction with his QB in Arizona, I wouldn't feel comfortable with Kingsbury taking over that position. And I wouldn't exactly call him successful in the NFL.

As far as Kingsbury, it seems that his success ended when he entered the NFL. No arguing that in college, his resume was quite impressive.............He helped Keenan set all kinds of records with U of H.......... He was the OC when Johnny football at A & M........He coached Baker Mayfield...........He coached Patrick Mahomes at Texas tech...................

As far as Kingsbury, it seems that his success ended when he entered the NFL. No arguing that in college, his resume was quite impressive.............He helped Keenan set all kinds of records with U of H.......... He was the OC when Johnny football at A & M........He coached Baker Mayfield...........He coached Patrick Mahomes at Texas tech...................

Yeah, but as a head coach He was the same guy in college and the NFL. His teams would have yearly fast starts followed by epic second half collapses. His winning % after November started was atrocious in CFB and the NFL.

Last edited:
I think Kingsbury got too much blame for what happened with Arizona but, eh nah, we can do better still.

****, I must have missed the Burke news today. I was thinking we'd be getting Marquand Manuel. I'm OK with Burke. I bet JJ pumped him up a bit. If I recall correctly, the AZ line had some good performances this past year maybe decent. Been around the block a bit, maybe he's picked up a lot of knowledge.
Let's see.

I'm liking that Adegoke hire. Defensive quality control for the Niners. Maybe he can make sure our safeties/secondary emerge the way the Niners guys did.

Last edited:
The Burke hire is puzzling to me. Looks like a Robert Saleh and JJ connection. But I would have suspected DeMeco to pick someone he had direct experience working with like Undlin. Hopefully he can still bring Undlin in as secondary coach/passing game coordinator or something similar.

Hopefully Burke does great, i’m going to give DeMeco the benefit of the doubt on the defensive side of the ball.

Kingsbury would be a good OC here. Though I’m not sure how he would mesh with a defensive oriented coach that wants to run the football.

He has been successful as an OC everywhere he’s been an OC before… just hits his Peter principle at HC. I’d have confidence he can develop the next QB and maybe even stick around a couple years after his last HC stop.

I’m pretty sure that he doesn’t want any part of coaching another midget QB.
What makes you think that. Kingsbury has known Young since Young was in high school and Kingsbury was coach at Texas Tech. He was the first to show interest in the young athlete when Young's coach sent out the highlight tape.

I don't know what to make of Kliff as OC. I mean can he teach the Air Raid and throw in some West Coast elements as well? I'm just not sure the air raid, while a fun offense to watch, will stand up to a full season. Plus, it's a lot of high-tempo stuff. If it works...great. If it doesn't, your D wears down quickly and you can get on the wrong side of a blowout. So, again, I like it some of the time, but not all of the time. Probably trying to stick a round plug into a square hole. I'm guessing if you hire Kliff, you're going full air raid.

I still like Shane as first choice, and close second is a Kubes/Shanny WCO guy. I know the WCO has a few picadillos of it's own. Mostly in that you've got to stay on track. It seems to go sideways if you have a bad play, bad penalty, etc.

There is no perfect offense. They all have good and bad points. I'm interested in all of your thoughts on the air raid vs. WCO vs. whatever the hell it is BOB runs vs. RPO vs. any other modern pro offense.
Kingsbury does know the Pats offensive system.

True, Ryans will be adding his guys to the defense. This will be Ryans defense, Burke hopefully can add something to Ryans defense by being a sounding board/another set of eyes.
This is setting up as DeMeco running the Defense and calling the plays. Something I'm not a fan of, especially of a first-time HC. Based on work history and performance Burke is looking more like a Richard Smith and/or Frank Bush.

Last edited:
Hopefully Burke does great, i’m going to give DeMeco the benefit of the doubt on the defensive side of the ball.
As will I.

As I've said, I know little about Burke. But he seems like a contender for the world's most interesting man.

Ivy leaguer that looks like a bouncer at a biker bar. Mountain climber. Big game hunter. Probably reads Isabel Allende and listens to techno pop.

OIP.rJwN2TkL85ttwluL5NlmOwHaGi

Kyle Shanahan calls the plays. As does Andy Reid. Just because it didn't work for O'Brien doesn't mean it can't work.
Do they leave the defense to the coordinator or are they more like Belichick?

If Texans can add Undlin to the defensive staff along with a solid DL coach I will be feeling good about the defensive coaching. We’ll need to wait after Super Bowl for offensive coaching dominos to fall. Whether its a “too good to be true” scenario of Steichen coming here or Brian Johnson. A team with an opening on offense would be foolish not to be checking in on the Philly staff for openings given how they have performed.

Brian Johnson is my top target for OC so far. He is the next Sean Mcvay imo.

Then a tie between Slowik and Kingsbury. Only reason Kingsbury is not # 1 is because I don’t think that fast paced offensive style would mesh well with a defense oriented head coach. I hope Slowik would bring the Shanny run game with him.

I’m still waiting to see who the OC, QB and OL coaches are going to be. I want staff that can help develop our young players. I think with our draft capital over the next 2 years will help build a foundation that will hopefully get us back to winning and our first SB appearance.
I dunno is it official now that Ross will be retained as our ST coach ?
BTW wonder if there's any chance DeMeco would bring back his old buddy Brian Cushing as a LB coach ?

This is setting up as DeMeco running the Defense and calling the plays. Something I'm not a fan of, especially of a first-time HC. Based on work history and performance Burke is looking more like a Richard Smith and/or Frank Bush.

Lets see how this plays out before passing judgement. I'm hoping Ryans/Burke are on the same page regarding philosophy/players playing time etc... and Ryans lets Burke run the defense. If Ryans doesn't like the direction of the defense then he can take over running the defense. This is really one of the least worries Texans fans should be having.

Back