Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Demeco Ryans’ Staff

I don't know anything about Burke, to be honest. But I trust DeMeco can work with him and that they perhaps aligned best on philosophy over the other candidates. I see he was DC in Miami so this guy isn't a total noob. I like that DeMeco decided to hire a coordinator on his side of the ball instead of trying to be his own coordinator. I'm sure he'll still heavily be involved with game plans and still have significant input on Sunday as well, but having another guy be the responsible party takes a load off his plate on game days.

Really happy to see they retained Ross. Sort of under the radar due to the team record, but Ross led the best ST unit in the league in 2022. Very, very smart move to retain him. He is a rising star IMHO. Super happy with this!

So, that leaves OC out of the big 3 coaching hires. If they don't have one in place by Sunday, I think Corrosion/Doc's thoughts about at least trying to get an interview with Shane Steichen may be on point. That would be a huge get, and if that comes down, you've have a great set of coordinators at OC and ST and with Ryans assisting Burke, I have no doubt that the D would also be in good hands. If we miss out on Steichen, my backup is Slowik. I'd be pleased as punch with him as well.

So far...so freaking damn good!

That position is like air traffic control or managing many of a team's integrated projects, being responsible for ensuring implementation of objectives, strategies, relationship management and operating plans for the team. He's essentially a "Big Brother eye in the sky" for the team.

Hopefully a better version of Easterby.

Looks like there is a defined role and responsibilities for this guy. I guess things are changing on Kirby. No more of this nonsense about he is very talented in many areas. He is here to serve.

Under Burke, the Cardinals allowed 118.6 rushing yards per game in 2022, which ranked 14th in the league.

While with the Dolphins, Burke's units never finished higher than 27th in scoring defense -- giving up 24.6 points per game in 2017 (29th) and 27.1 in 2018 (27th).

Over those two seasons, the Dolphins ranked 26th in pressure rate (28%), 29th in sacks (61) and yards per play (5.8) and 31st in rushing yards allowed per game (127.9), per ESPN Metrics powered by NFL Next Gen Stats.

Under Burke, the Cardinals allowed 118.6 rushing yards per game in 2022, which ranked 14th in the league.

While with the Dolphins, Burke's units never finished higher than 27th in scoring defense -- giving up 24.6 points per game in 2017 (29th) and 27.1 in 2018 (27th).

Over those two seasons, the Dolphins ranked 26th in pressure rate (28%), 29th in sacks (61) and yards per play (5.8) and 31st in rushing yards allowed per game (127.9), per ESPN Metrics powered by NFL Next Gen Stats.
Yikes. Not great stats. But maybe implementing Ryans system will change his history…hopefully.

Yikes. Not great stats. But maybe implementing Ryans system will change his history…hopefully.

Definitely, did not excite me after seeing this a couple days back. The biggest pluses are that he has a ton of experience, but isn't ancient. Burke also won't be installing his defense but is tasked with being an overseer to Ryan's defense

giphy.gif

In regards to Kingbury, another fairly young guy with extensive experience. The fact that Kliff has experience with day-in, day-out as a head coach is helpful to Ryans making that transition ( I hope at least). Kingsbury has some good direct work with QBs. This is one interesting if nothing else.

I don't know what to make of Kliff as OC. I mean can he teach the Air Raid and throw in some West Coast elements as well? I'm just not sure the air raid, while a fun offense to watch, will stand up to a full season. Plus, it's a lot of high-tempo stuff. If it works...great. If it doesn't, your D wears down quickly and you can get on the wrong side of a blowout. So, again, I like it some of the time, but not all of the time. Probably trying to stick a round plug into a square hole. I'm guessing if you hire Kliff, you're going full air raid.

I still like Shane as first choice, and close second is a Kubes/Shanny WCO guy. I know the WCO has a few picadillos of it's own. Mostly in that you've got to stay on track. It seems to go sideways if you have a bad play, bad penalty, etc.

There is no perfect offense. They all have good and bad points. I'm interested in all of your thoughts on the air raid vs. WCO vs. whatever the hell it is BOB runs vs. RPO vs. any other modern pro offense.

We hire the DL coach there and are now interviewing the x-HC.

I hope Demeco called JJ to get some insight. Or maybe he already did…

I'm sure he did. Why would he not when he got input on Burke from JJ. I'd lean Steichen or Slowik myself but if they hit it off and thats his guy I'd be good with it.
I'm here in Tempe so I saw every game and KK loves him the screen game and that was fans biggest complaint

I don't know what to make of Kliff as OC. I mean can he teach the Air Raid and throw in some West Coast elements as well? I'm just not sure the air raid, while a fun offense to watch, will stand up to a full season. Plus, it's a lot of high-tempo stuff. If it works...great. If it doesn't, your D wears down quickly and you can get on the wrong side of a blowout. So, again, I like it some of the time, but not all of the time. Probably trying to stick a round plug into a square hole. I'm guessing if you hire Kliff, you're going full air raid.

I still like Shane as first choice, and close second is a Kubes/Shanny WCO guy. I know the WCO has a few picadillos of it's own. Mostly in that you've got to stay on track. It seems to go sideways if you have a bad play, bad penalty, etc.

There is no perfect offense. They all have good and bad points. I'm interested in all of your thoughts on the air raid vs. WCO vs. whatever the hell it is BOB runs vs. RPO vs. any other modern pro offense.
The offense that can run the ball is usually the better offense. I watched Alex Gibbs in Denver, Atlanta, and Houston take a bunch of day 3 OL and RBs and was either 1st or 2nd in rushing every year wherever he went. My preference for OC is a ZBS guy and a Bill Walsh WCO guy. This is what Shanahan is doing in San Fran.

No he hasn't: 4 years at UH, 6 years at Texas Tech, 4 years with the Cards. That's stable for a young coach making his way up the coaching ladder.

You two are not talking about the same guy...Burke all over the place, Coach Bro stable for the industry

Back