Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Cushing suspended 4 games for violating policy on performance-enhancing substances

Regardless, he still helped change the whole identity of the defense. I found myself enjoying defense more than offense last year. Speedbump to start the season only to be stronger by playoffs.

I don't want any beer, but I am thinking about it seriously

I might want a hardhat, the way some are describing the sky is falling

Jesus H. Pot Smoking Christ, yall are SO over reacting to this.

Teams lose players all the time for various reasons, we lost damn near half our starting O line last year. It happens. That's why you have backups.

Yeah, Cushing will be missed, OD sure as hell was. It's part of the game folks. Besides, where's the lab report? What exactly was he taking? Where's his press conferance for us to hear his side of the story?

Give the guy a break, will ya?

suspected such but hoped it wasn't true. the rest should serve him well moving forward clean, biggest question will be how his teammates respond :pop:

Damnit! We need him to crush those arrogant, holier-than-thou Cowboys in week 3. Hope they can draw up a helluva defensive game plan!
Adibi has shown flashes and Bentley can hold his own, who knows about Sharpton.
Our pass rush and secondary better step up!!

This is ****ing bullshit. Suspensions for drug use period are ****ing bullshit. When you've got people like Roethlisberger essentially raping/sexually assaulting girls and getting suspended for similar amount of times. Or other sorts of violent/legitimately criminal acts. Taking drugs doesn't harm anyone except for, occasionally, yourself.

I'm pretty surprised he was dumb enough to get caught though. Tons of players in basically every sport use steroids but most people figure out how to not fail the tests.

Lame.

:mad:

The issue isn't about morality. It's about protecting the integrity of the game. Of course rape is more despicable. However, it doesn't give Roethlisburger an unfair playing advantage. The NFL doesn't want to turn into pro wrestling or baseball. Integrity of the product is important.

Teams lose players all the time for various reasons, we lost damn near half our starting O line last year. It happens. That's why you have backups.

Yeah, Cushing will be missed, OD sure as hell was. It's part of the game folks. Besides, where's the lab report? What exactly was he taking? Where's his press conferance for us to hear his side of the story?

:goodpost:
Let's wait until Brian has told his side of the story - Don't overreact

The issue isn't about morality. It's about protecting the integrity of the game. Of course rape is more despicable. However, it doesn't give Roethlisburger an unfair playing advantage. The NFL doesn't want to turn into pro wrestling or baseball. Integrity of the product is important.
That is why I posted that question I posted.

They took a risk and it blew up in our face
I will give them credit for taking a risk

however this is just another notch in smithiak's book of epic fails

so much for building through the draft
complacent penny pinching clueless front office and coaching staff

Yeah, a defensive ROY really blew up in their face..

If he doesn't ever play a down of football again, then you can say they blew the pick; but seriously, get out of your ****ing bizzaro world of hating the Texans FO and realize that Cushing is one of the main reasons we didn't end up 4-12 last season.

Good riddance.

As for the actual meaning of the thread; I hope Cush can learn from this experience and grow because of it to become a more complete player and person. I won't ever accuse until the evidence is staring me in the face, but I have a feeling if he truly did get caught, it would be HGH instead of steroids. With all the injuries he played through, wouldn't HGH be a much more viable option with all it's supposed recovery benefits?

:) My man!!

:facepalm:

I don't know what's worse. The news about Cushing's failed test and suspension. Or Texans fans' reaction to the news. I'll say this: If Cushing were a Titan and been busted, he would have been bashed here unmercifully. And deservedly so. But because he's a Texan, we make excuse after excuse. Sad.

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that. Now it hasn't been 100% acceptance, some posters have expressed disappointment.

I still want to know which chemical cocktail he was busted for before I come down on one side or the other.

If it was diuretics like the Williams' and those guys from the Saints were busted for, I can sympathize with him. But if it was straight up 'roids, that's not so forgivable.

I was talking to a doctor friend of mine about Cushing last Christmas. He told me everyone knew Cushing was on roids. Anyone with any medical knowledge could tell, it was just a matter of time before he was caught.

He said people dont sustain the injuries that Cushing had without roids being involved.

Guess he was right.

Is anyone else TERRIFIED that he'll end up like Merriman?

Pre bust - 18 sacks

Post bust - benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year.

We DO NOT know the real Cushing at all. What we know is roided Cushing. The real Cushing could suck.

They took a risk and it blew up in our face
I will give them credit for taking a risk

however this is just another notch in smithiak's book of epic fails

so much for building through the draft
complacent penny pinching clueless front office and coaching staff

bsflag.gif

I don't see Cushing descending to the route of mediocrity that Shawne Merriman took. Even if Cush isn't juicing, he still has a rare work ethic, even by pro athlete standards. He'll need it in 2010, because he'll have a lot to prove.

Good post! NO need we should all :panic:

Even an average Cushing is better than most LBs out there. Demeco will coach him up again.

I don't see Cushing descending to the route of mediocrity that Shawne Merriman took. Even if Cush isn't juicing, he still has a rare work ethic, even by pro athlete standards. He'll need it in 2010, because he'll have a lot to prove.

You guys are delusional. Steroids provide an incredible amount of advantage.

The Brian Cushing we saw was a product of roids, roids, roids, and football player.

Who knows what will appear on the other side.

What famous athlete can you show me who has been suspended for steroids and then come back just as strong after?

Pre bust - 18 sacks

Post bust - benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year.

We DO NOT know the real Cushing at all. What we know is roided Cushing. The real Cushing could suck.

I wouldn't say that I was terrified, but if you check my posting history, you would see that I was skeptical.....

That said, I was also, man enough --- to man-up during the season and admit, that I was pleasantly surprised how a USC player lived up to the hype.

I bought in......

Let's see where it goes from here.

That is the thing with sports fans in general, Texan fans specifically and why I love them. You can always count on rational, logical responses to any given situation.:sarcasm: We fans don't overreact or go off the deep end - not us - nosirree.

We don't think there might be a reason to panic - we know damned well there is every reason to panic, fire everyone except the water boy and we aren't too sure about him. While we are at it - might as well stomp on Cushing since he has already caused us to lose the first 4 games before they are even played.

I just love Texan fans!..and that is the truth - not sarcastic.

We're very fortunate to have such a versatile team player in Diles who will move over to SAM and be solid until Cushing comes back. If the WILL can be solid too then that will go a long way in helping us.

Do we have a vomit emoticon. The thought of the linebacker group without last year's Cushing makes me nauseated. They barely held it together WITH him.

Do we have a vomit emoticon. The thought of the linebacker group without last year's Cushing makes me nauseated. They barely held it together WITH him.

Cushing could potentially never come back to the same level pre-steroid bust.

They are called performance enhancing drugs.

Which means the performance we saw was enhanced.

Cushing cheated.

The performance we see next year will be a step down. They aren't performance stabilizing drugs. They make you better. He probably will be worse when he comes back

Cushing will never come back to the same level pre-steroid bust.

They are called performance ENHANCING drugs.

Which means the performance we saw was ENHANCED.

Cushing CHEATED.

The performance we see next year will be a step down. They aren't performance stabilizing drugs. They make you better. He WILL Be worse when he comes back

I take you've read the lab report then?

This thread really disappoints me. But then, I'm a Houston sports fan so I'm used to it.

I take you've read the lab report then?

This thread really disappoints me. But then, I'm a Houston sports fan so I'm used to it.

Come on, I just heard. Im still in freak out mode. Im sure I'll calm down eventually.

Much beers + this news is a real downer.

Why are you disappointed/ With Cushing or the fans?

Come on, I just heard. Im still in freak out mode. Im sure I'll calm down eventually.

Much beers + this news is a real downer.

Why are you disappointed/ With Cushing or the fans?

The fans, for now. Until I hear Cushing's explination of what happened, I'm holding off judgement of him.

As for beer, I wish I was having some tonight, but I have to work tomorrow. Tomorrow night though, I'll be sloshed. You might want to compare my posts tonight with what I do tomorrow night so you can throw them in my face on Sunday. LOL

Personally I hope he goes right back to using them but doing it in a safer manner so he doesn't get caught.

I can absolutely guarantee you that a significant percentage of players at positions that require you to maintain a lot of muscle while staying pretty lean use steroids at least periodically throughout their career. LBs, DEs, and RBs are the positions that need it the most, and likely a lot of OL and DL use to maintain their huge muscle mass.

Wow, effin wow! Is that really how you think? :gun:

I bet this thread gets around 30 pages of nothing but "Cush was my hero." "God we suck!" "F you Cush!" "Roid user and abuser." and "Why cant NFLN every get the right person/info on the screen when it comes to the Texans."

Pre bust (make that pre-suspension since I don't know when he tested positive any more than anyone else does) - 18.5 sacks in 22 games

Post bust - (see previous suspension disclaimer) 21 sacks in 20 games, then he blew out his knee before being benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year after the knee injury.
Fixed!

I don't know what's worse. The news about Cushing's failed test and suspension. Or Texans fans' reaction to the news. I'll say this: If Cushing were a Titan and been busted, he would have been bashed here unmercifully. And deservedly so. But because he's a Texan, we make excuse after excuse. Sad.

Thank God for you. If this was a Cowboy or rival it would b the typical stuff. But now it is no big deal. This guy had these rumors to start so it was a possibility. You hope lessons are learned for the player

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I really don't know this for sure), but don't suspensions only come after a second positive test? I might be totally off, here, but I thought the first positive drug test was only probation. If so, that would make this his second positive. In either case, I'm pretty sure that another positive would be a 1 year suspension, which means he'll be on the edge for the rest of his career.

This might have been covered earlier - I haven't read all 12 pages.

Oh, my hatred of the Sharpton pick has now almost completely dissipated.

This sucks but it's not the end of the world.

I won't judge until i know what it is he took. Hopefully he comes back and shows it wasnt the substance that made him a beast.

Bring on the Colts. Go ahead and underrate us now.

We'll be ready.

You guys are delusional. Steroids provide an incredible amount of advantage.

The Brian Cushing we saw was a product of roids, roids, roids, and football player.

Who knows what will appear on the other side.

What famous athlete can you show me who has been suspended for steroids and then come back just as strong after?

Best post yet.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I really don't know this for sure), but don't suspensions only come after a second positive test? I might be totally off, here, but I thought the first positive drug test was only probation. If so, that would make this his second positive. In either case, I'm pretty sure that another positive would be a 1 year suspension, which means he'll be on the edge for the rest of his career.

This might have been covered earlier - I haven't read all 12 pages.

Oh, my hatred of the Sharpton pick has now almost completely dissipated.

You are thinking of the DRUG POLICY as opposed to the Steroid Policy.

Texan_Bill said:
Apparenlty I have to... Everytime SH and the rest of the "pink soapers" come out, I have to drink twice as much...

Maybe you wouldn't have to drink so much and Pink Soapers like myself, steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon wouldn't be so damn irritable if McNair wasn't clueless and his complacent Smithiak regime did their damn jobs and gets us a damn playoff berth.

I am sick of the excuses and the color coded game day gimmicks and other BS. Give us a God damned playoff team. It shouldn't take a decade to get there.

I haven't sifted through this entire thread yet, but has it been made known what it was yet??? A diuretic is considered a PED just like anabolic steroids... what exactly was he on?

I'm not trying to blindly jump to his defense in any way. He should have ******* known better. But I would ask this regardless of what team a player was on.

Jay Glazer speaks on Brian Cushing suspension

When a player is suspended for violating the steroids policy, it's not out of the ordinary for his team to issue a statement. It is unusual, however, for an NFL insider who doubles as a mixed martial arts personal trainer to offer up his two cents.

But as FOX's Jay Glazer spends more and more time with more and more players in the offseason, it makes sense for him to have a reaction when one of his MMA pupils gets popped for cheating.

"I can't pass judgment until after I talk to Brian," Glazer said. "I really hope the allegations aren't true. My partner Randy Couture and I -- and the program we created -- are all about outworking everybody else in the league, not taking shortcuts. I can tell you this in my time working with Brian -- I loved it. We really bonded. I expect to hear from Brian tonight."

The "allegations" seem to be true. Cushing has been suspended four games for violating the steroids policy. Per the reports, he has exercised his appeal rights, and the appeal has failed.

The only unknown is the identity of the substance found in his system. But the problem with the confidentiality of the steroids policy is that Cushing or anyone else who tests positive can claim that he took a tainted supplement or otherwise accidentally ingested one of the many non-steroids that appear on the list of banned substances, even if the player actually was knowingly and intentionally using steroids.

So if/when Glazer gets in touch with Cushing, nothing stops Cushing from claiming that he didn't actually take steroids, even if he really did.

I haven't read all the pages on this thread so maybe my question has already been answered but:

It appears that he took whatever it was he took while he was still part of the dirty usc program. Question...Have other drafted players been suspended by the league for something they did in college, ie, before becoming a member (being drafted) of the nfl. Or has Cushing tested positive since being in the nfl?

Not defending his actions, just asking a question.

:coffee:

I have to admit, I've known a lot of people that have taken a lot of steroids.

IF Brian took steroids (and he may not have, he may have tested positive for a masking agent or something or a variety of other things), I'm not really that worried about that part of it. Personally, I think every pro athlete out there that really wants to win is constantly on the look out for ways to improve their performance. That includes drugs. And supplements. And diet regimens. And weight training regiments. Etc.

What I don't know is what he was taking and how much and for how long. I don't know what effect his going off the steroids is going to have on him IF (again, IF) he was taking anything. It's entirely possible that he'll be the same exact player after this that he was before this and it's entirely possible that he won't. We won't know until we see him on the field.

A professional athlete should know the things that are going to set off a positive test result and they should know better than to do those things. And it bothers me that he did something that set off a positive test result. With all the scrutiny he's been under, it couldn't have been a surprise that he was going to be tested. And he should be smart enough not to test positive. That's what bothers me the most.

Back