Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cushing suspended 4 games for violating policy on performance-enhancing substances

SIAP -

Joe Defranco is the sports performance coach who helped make Cushing the monster he is.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/index.php

DeFranco's Gym's stance on Brian Cushing's NFL suspension
Monday, May 10, 2010

Since Friday night, I've kept my mouth shut for one reason and one reason only - because Brian Cushing asked me to...and whenever family asks me to do something, I do it! And yes, I consider Cush my "little" brother from another mother...

Here's the deal:

Friday night I was eating dinner with my girlfriend and 2-year-old niece at a Jersey Diner when I see Brian Cushing's name appear on ESPN's ticker for violating the NFL's steroid policy. I was shocked! But, my first reaction was NOT, "Damn Cush, what the hell were you thinking?!" I immediately looked at my girlfriend and said, "There is NO FU#KING WAY Cush failed a steroid test! This is DEFINITELY a mistake...I gotta call him ASAP!" The reason I KNEW Cush didn't fail a steroid test is because I know Brian Cushing, the person. And I know FOR A FACT that he does NOT take anabolic steroids (even though I just saw it on ESPN). In fact, in all my years of training Cush, we've never even talked about steroids! So, unlike many of Cush's "friends" and "fans" who immediately threw him under the bus (I'm talking to you, Jay Glazer); I called Cush to get HIS story and show my support!

Once I got Cush on the phone, he tells me he's shocked at what's happening, but assures me he didn't fail for steroids. I believe him. Sure enough, the next day the term "steroids" has been replaced with "PED"...BIG DIFFERENCE. Yet, ESPN never issued any official retraction statement. Apparently, they don't think there's any difference between anabolic steroids and a category that's so big (and vague), it includes friggin' cough medicine!?!?

There is a LOT I want to say regarding the specifics of this story, but I'm not at liberty to speak about it because it's being handled by Cush's agent and attorney. So for now, I'm just going to address the topics that have been directed specifically towards me and my gym...

To all the people who said I "turned my back" on Cush when he's down...

Now you know that I called him the second I got the news...and I never doubted him. I called him to support him and get his side of the story.

The only reason I haven't said anything before this was because Cush asked me to "keep quiet" because his agent and attorney are handling the situation and he's very confident the facts will be revealed soon!

Here's a link to an article that appeared in New Jersey's most popular newspaper yesterday. Notice the title of the article, "Brian Cushing's Trainer Stands Behind Him". You may be interested in checking out the 12th paragraph where I say, "I'll goto my death and say Brian Cushing doesn't take steroids." Doesn't really sound like I "turned my back" on him, does it??

And finally, guess where Cush was this morning?? At my gym for two hours. We talked for an hour and he trained his ass off for an hour (as usual). And when my 12:00 crew rolled in guess what happened?? They were all pumped to see him and welcomed him back with open arms. No talk of this "situation"...wanna know why? Because no words need to be spoken when you're family. The guys at the gym know Brian Cushing, the person. They know he doesn't take steroids. They know his work ethic, insane disciple and his obsession with living a healthy lifestyle. No explanations needed...business as usual.

Oh, by the way, notice all the pictures of Cush are still on this website...nope, never took 'em down...never even crossed my mind!

To the "haters" who are telling local parents and kids that I "take" and "deal" steroids...

This is something I feel VERY STRONGLY about and it's why I'm seriously considering taking legal action. (And you guys know who you are. If not, I'll give you a hint...you BEGGED Cush to train with you, but he knew better...and you thought opening a gym 'just like mine' would be easy, but now you know better...ooops, did I give away too much??)

Every single person who knows me, knows my stance on anabolic steroids and drugs. I HAVE NEVER TAKEN, RECOMMENDED, SOLD, OR EVEN HELD IN MY HAND AN ANABOLIC STEROID OR ILLEGAL DRUG...EVER! This stance on steroids and drugs was instilled in me at a very young age by my father and it will stay with me until the day I die. This is the exact reason I opened up the type of gym I have - a "hardcore", "no frills" facility where we pride ourselves on out-working the competition! Saying that I "take" and "recommend" steroids at my gym is a completely slanderous statement that WILL get you in big legal trouble. Test me.

To the "outsiders" that have said, "The DeFranco Brand" is ruined...

This one actually made me laugh, but I'll address it anyway. I use the word "outsiders" because the only type of people that would make this statement are people that have NO CLUE what goes on inside the four walls of my gym! My gym is a family. And our family knows Brian Cushing, the person. Instead of my "brand" being ruined, it's actually quite the contrary. Today, while all of our haters were on the computer talking **** about us, we were having the busiest day of 2010 in the gym. (That's why I'm writing this at 1:00am, as opposed to a 'normal' hour.) Fifty-eight athletes walked through the doors of DeFranco's Gym today. Athletes ranged from 6th graders to NFL All-Pro's. And guess what...ALL 58 athletes AND parents support Brian Cushing 100%...because they know Brian Cushing, the person. They also know the type of person I am, as well as every other staff member at my gym. THOSE are the people we care about (the "insiders")...not the internet trolls, not the people who hate Brian Cushing because he's a better football player than they ever were; and we sure as hell don't care about any other "outsiders" who spend their days trying to knock other people down because they aren't happy with their own lives!

To conclude, I look forward to when Cush can speak out about this situation because it's being blown way out of proportion by the media. And I sure as hell hope the NFL doesn't strip him of his DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR & ALL-PRO Awards. Cush's "suspicious" test was in September...then he was re-tested numerous times throughout the entire season without ever failing. He EARNED those awards and DESERVES to keep them!

For now, I guess I can take comfort in knowing that he's learned early in his career who his true friends and fans are...and what true LOYALTY is all about.

Cush_sprinting_texans_red

We got your back, Cush!

-Joe D.

This testimonial was covered in this thread last week. It is commendable that Defranco would support Cushing. But also understandable, as it would be in Defranco's best interest to deflect the possible use of PEDs from his gym.

It would make more sense for Defranco to distance himself if there is any chance Cushing is on the Juice.

I'm saying this, because I believe Defranco's relationship with Cushing is more than just professional, and that he would have a clue. If he is as tight as he says he is, then he knows.

If it turns out that Brian is on Steroids, with that statement Defranco just put out, his gym, career, life is over.

It would make more sense for Defranco to distance himself if there is any chance Cushing is on the Juice.

I'm saying this, because I believe Defranco's relationship with Cushing is more than just professional, and that he would have a clue. If he is as tight as he says he is, then he knows.

If it turns out that Brian is on Steroids, with that statement Defranco just put out, his gym, career, life is over.

Completely disagree. His gym is going to be just fine. The results speak for themselves across many many athletes.

His dvd 'Strong' is just AWESOME.

Completely disagree. His gym is going to be just fine. The results speak for themselves across many many athletes.

Follow me here. The results speak for themselves. Athletes are proof of those results. Brian Cushing is one of those athletes. Brian Cushing got popped for steroids. Brian's results are because of steroids. All of Defranco's clients must be on steroids.

Defranco has just made it clear that Brian is more than just a client. They are family. It makes it more difficult to distance himself if more evidence proves Brian is guilty.

At the very least, he should have kept his mouth shut... he would still be able to deny it later... like the MMA guys did.

The only way DeFranco should have said what he said, is if he is as close to Brian as he leads us to believe, and he knows for a fact that Brian does not use steroids.

I thought this was commical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing's_syndrome

Cushing's syndrome (also called hyperadrenocorticism or hypercorticism) is a hormone (endocrine) disorder caused by high levels of cortisol (hypercortisolism) in the blood. This can be caused by taking glucocorticoid drugs, or by tumors that produce cortisol or adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH).[1] Cushing's disease refers to one specific cause, a tumor (adenoma) in the pituitary gland that produces large amounts of ACTH, which in turn elevates cortisol. It can usually be cured by surgery. It was described by Harvey Cushing in 1932.[2][3]

I thought this was commical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing's_syndrome

Cushing's syndrome (also called hyperadrenocorticism or hypercorticism) is a hormone (endocrine) disorder caused by high levels of cortisol (hypercortisolism) in the blood. This can be caused by taking glucocorticoid drugs, or by tumors that produce cortisol or adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH).[1] Cushing's disease refers to one specific cause, a tumor (adenoma) in the pituitary gland that produces large amounts of ACTH, which in turn elevates cortisol. It can usually be cured by surgery. It was described by Harvey Cushing in 1932.[2][3]

Whoah! That's some crazy coincidence! :mcnugget:

I don't know if it reads in that article, but Morbus Cushing patients, male at that, are able to produce breast milk. That's kinda creepy.

edit: Meh couldn't find a source for that. So that's probably wrong, I'm pretty sure though I learned something like that in Anatomy. Kinda embarassing as I got an A in that test.

Last edited:
Cush, get your credit card out and act now!!

whizzinator-1000.jpg

Wrong

Speculation
Really going all out heh?

Your post is full of fail

Maybe I should have put a big IF in front of the whole post.

I don't believe any of that is true. I was responding to someone saying Joey Defranco's gym won't be negatively affected if it is later proven that Cushing took steroids.

I was just putting the pieces together, that Defranco must know something we don't (like Brian Cushing as a person) to stand so emphatically behind him in this situation. Otherwise, it could be the end of his enterprise.

Follow me here. The results speak for themselves. Athletes are proof of those results. Brian Cushing is one of those athletes. Brian Cushing got popped for steroids. Brian's results are because of steroids. All of Defranco's clients must be on steroids.

Defranco has just made it clear that Brian is more than just a client. They are family. It makes it more difficult to distance himself if more evidence proves Brian is guilty.

At the very least, he should have kept his mouth shut... he would still be able to deny it later... like the MMA guys did.

The only way DeFranco should have said what he said, is if he is as close to Brian as he leads us to believe, and he knows for a fact that Brian does not use steroids.

Maybe I should have put a big IF in front of the whole post.

I don't believe any of that is true. I was responding to someone saying Joey Defranco's gym won't be negatively affected if it is later proven that Cushing took steroids.

I was just putting the pieces together, that Defranco must know something we don't (like Brian Cushing as a person) to stand so emphatically behind him in this situation. Otherwise, it could be the end of his enterprise.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I thought you were starting to lose it

I placed a Thread in the Other Sports Talk section. But I felt that this would still be of interest for those following the Cushing case. At least in the case of cyclist Landis, after all this time, we find that things are not always what a "player" would want to make us believe.

Even back in 2006, the experts couldn't explain his "screwy" high testosterone to low epitestosterone positive test........at which time he denied any drug use or manipulation vehemently saying that these results were a result of natural hormonal thyroid abnormalities which he was treated for and cortisone shots he received for an arthritic hip (anticipating surgery). Now there IS an explanation.

Landis admits drug use, claims Armstrong used

Floyd Landis, the only cyclist to lose his Tour de France title due to doping violations, admitted to ESPN.com and The Wall Street Journal that he used performance enhancing drugs throughout his career.

He also claims several other cyclists - including former teammate and seven-time Tour De France champion Lance Armstrong - used performance enhancing drugs and that team managers, owners all knew of the drug use.

Armstrong did not respond to messages seeking comment from the Journal. He has been accused of doping several times during his career, which has always denied. Armstrong also has never been sanctioned.
Landis says he doesn't have documentation for many of his claims.

Landis sent at least three e-mails to cycling and anti-doping officials, ESPN and the Journal reported, detailing his drug use and accusations, particularly with American riders. He claims that he and other American riders learned how to conduct blood transfusions, take the synthetic blood booster Erythropoietin, or EPO, and use steroids.

One e-mail, dated April 30 and addressed to Stephen Johnson, the president of USA Cycling, alleges that Armstrong's longtime coach, Johan Bruyneel, introduced Landis to blood doping and human growth hormone in 2002 and 2003, according to the Journal. Armstrong then helped Landis understand how the drugs worked.

"He and I had lengthy discussions about it on our training rides during which time he also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing and how transfusions were now necessary due to the inconvenience of the new test," he wrote in an e-mail published by the Journal.

You may want to reveiw the 2006 HAPPENINGS surrounding this event when the accusations were fresh and Landis' explanations puzzling.

If the MODS wish that I delete this post in this thread, please let me know.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/
Bill Romanowski calls Brian Cushing a liar

In an appearance earlier today on Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio, Romanowski discussed the recent four-game suspension imposed on Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, who tested positive for hCG last September.

"[H]ere's the deal," Romanowski said, "The only way you can get that substance that he took, hCG, in your body is to inject it, okay? So let's get that clear. So his sob story on TV was, I'm just going to say, was a total lie, okay?

"Do you think when he was getting injected in his ass that he didn't know what was going on? Well, bullcrap. Let's get real. Be honest about it, Brian. I'm sorry you got caught but be honest about it. What that substance is is a substance from pregnant women's urine and what it does is when you have taken a cycle of steroids it turns your system back on from being shut down. It is very, very common in bodybuilding. That is a bodybuilding supplement, or a bodybuilding drug, where when these bodybuilders go on massive doses of steroids for months at a time, they will take that drug to turn their normal system back on and get it working again."

what is the record on here for pages?

Mario had a thread dedicated to him in the 2007 pre-season when he logged a 0's game. I believe it went to like 50 or 60 pages.

Are we talking football related threads or just in general?

The babe of the day thread easily eclipses this...Also the random thought of the day thread is enourmous as well...I'm sure there are others

Are we talking football related threads or just in general?

The babe of the day thread easily eclipses this...Also the random thought of the day thread is enourmous as well...I'm sure there are others

I would think that off-topic threads shouldn't count cause some of those guys have been going on for awhile now.

Still though, this is the first Texan busted for substances and suspended from the NFL right?+

Back