Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cushing suspended 4 games for violating policy on performance-enhancing substances

This is starting to really be amusing.

Maybe he had to take this stuff because it has some random side effect in .001% of people who only have a left testicle if it's taken on a 28-day cycle while wearing a training bra and standing on his head.

:D

EDIT - not picking on you, gtexan; just commenting on the general tone of the fans.

Cushing is suppose to have a press conference on Monday, what I heard this morning.This will probably be the last we hear of it until Training Camp, then the start of the season...

It'd be funny to have a 12-year-old boy come out to the podium in a huge Cushing jersey and answer questions.

Awww, look at that: Brian Cushing has really smalled down.

LOL.

I know it really sucks that Cushing will miss the first 4 games of the season but the good news is it will keep him fresh and he'll still get to play in the remaining 16 games.

:trophy:

15 games. We will have a bye during Wildcard Weekend.. :texanbill:

"I liiiiiiiike"

borat-i-like-hoboken.jpg

16 games. We'll have a bye on Wildcard Weekend but the AP will vote that we have to re-play the Super Bowl because Pollard knocked the piss out of someone and it hurt their feelings. So we'll knock the piss out of them again (and Leach will KTtFO) just to teach them a double lesson.

We'll be the first team to win the SB twice in the same year.

I reckon this might've been mentioned already, but just in case.

One NFL GM tells Thomas George of AOL Fanhouse that suspended LB Brian Cushing's steroids use dates back to high school.

"We did our research on him before the draft last year and we concluded he was a chronic steroid user dating back to high school," said the unnamed general manager. "More than a few people were surprised when he passed the steroid tests at the Combine. I think the guy became a pro at masking it, until he was caught. I definitely would have taken my vote back on (the Defensive Rookie of the Year) award if I had one."

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

What about if he had gynecomastia? During puberty or something.

Would fit with the presumed 10 year useage

It is not an effective substance to treat primary GYNECOMASTIA (MAN BOOBS). There are several avenues that are used, with much better but still unpredictable inconsistent success, such as testosterones and aromatase inhibitors.

You need to understand that Gynecomastia occurs when there is a relative imbalance between too much estrogen and estrogen-related substances circulating (or locally stimulating), and relatively too low testosterone and testosterone-related substances.

The interesting thing is that too much testosterone (especially exogenous and moreso if given with HCG) can also result in gynecomastia. Why? Because at a point somewhere above the high normal level, the surplus testosterone is automatically converted by aromatase enzymes (refer to 1st paragraph) to estrogen-related substances. Same result........."man boobs"........another reason (besides periods of low testosterone) that I not uncommonly see steroid/testosterone/hcg users for surgical breast reduction...........even after they have quit. Yes, it is not uncommon for those B or C cups to at one point in time become permanent fixtures (my largest case was a professional athlete with a DD on one side and DDD on the other side).

We did our research on him before the draft last year and we concluded he was a chronic steroid user dating back to high school,"

"It's not what ya know, it's what you can prove"

Can you prove it?? Then STFU!

It has been noted on several occasions that we have one of the largest scouting "divisions" in the league.. and that we go very in depth into all of our prospects.

If what that nameless GM said is true.. then we knew about it.

I find it hard to believe that we would take a player like that.. so im gonna conclude that that nameless GM is a ********* who is stirring the pot.

EDIT: ********* = Vaginal cleansing bag

Last edited:
Looks like the NFL is pretty serious about them being the sole and "final word" on drug testing their players.

NFL will take StarCaps case to Supreme Court

The complicated and convoluted StarCaps litigation continues to play out in multiple forums. Six days after a judge in Minnesota ruled that the NFL had violated state drug-testing laws but that the suspensions of Vikings defensive tackles Pat and Kevin Williams would not be overturned, the NFL has decided to appeal to the United State Supreme Court the federal rulings that allowed the state-court case to even exist.

According to Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that the attempt will come on Thursday.

It's the equivalent of a Hail Mary pass; the U.S. Supreme Court receives thousands of petitions for what the legal beagles call "certiorari," and the highest court in the land grants the request in only a fraction of the submitted cases.

So why does the NFL care, given its "win" in Minnesota? The ruling from Judge Gary Larson could be altered on appeal, especially since some disagree with the notion that the NFL could be in violation of the law yet have no consequence. Also, even if the league prevails in Minnesota, it would prefer a ruling that exempts the steroids policy from the application of the law of any specific state, like Minnesota.

So now Cushing is a long time steroid abuser who was stupid enough to discuss it with both the team trainer and the NFL? See I think it is naive to believe a steroid user would let even the tiniest bit of information out about using a banned substance pointing toward steroids. His response of this is something I have been using for 15 years also doesn't make sense if it was part of a steroid regime. That would either be stupidly adding fuel to the fire or it is an indication that he truly believes he has done nothing wrong.

Until there there is clear substantial evidence that he was using steroids, I'm not going to believe it. Maybe that makes me naive, if so, so be it. I still want to believe there are good people out there doing the right thing, I want to believe Brian is one of those, and I want to believe in the Easter Bunny.

I also believe if someone, like Brian, has been fighting this his whole life, and stayed clean because of it, then it is a story we can be proud of, and a reason for Brian to keep fighting.

If he were cheating, I would expect him to lay down, and try to let it pass.

So is there something going on with Cushing's intake of supplements that makes it almost unrealistic for him to share EXACTLY what he took that caused the positive test?

I know, how badly I want Brian to come out and say something. I think he had a Press conference today, but I missed it. But try to put yourself in his shoes. Right now, there may not be anything he can possibly say, that won't be spun. He's been fighting this his whole life, and he probably knows how bad rushing to "say something" may hurt more than help.

If you haven't read his trainers comments, I would. This is someone who knows Brian, and has a stake in Brian's regimen.

Here's the deal:

Friday night I was eating dinner with my girlfriend and 2-year-old niece at a Jersey Diner when I see Brian Cushing's name appear on ESPN's ticker for violating the NFL's steroid policy. I was shocked! But, my first reaction was NOT, "Damn Cush, what the hell were you thinking?!" I immediately looked at my girlfriend and said, "There is NO FU#KING WAY Cush failed a steroid test! This is DEFINITELY a mistake...I gotta call him ASAP!" The reason I KNEW Cush didn't fail a steroid test is because I know Brian Cushing, the person. And I know FOR A FACT that he does NOT take anabolic steroids (even though I just saw it on ESPN). In fact, in all my years of training Cush, we've never even talked about steroids! So, unlike many of Cush's "friends" and "fans" who immediately threw him under the bus (I'm talking to you, Jay Glazer); I called Cush to get HIS story and show my support!

Once I got Cush on the phone, he tells me he's shocked at what's happening, but assures me he didn't fail for steroids. I believe him. Sure enough, the next day the term "steroids" has been replaced with "PED"...BIG DIFFERENCE. Yet, ESPN never issued any official retraction statement. Apparently, they don't think there's any difference between anabolic steroids and a category that's so big (and vague), it includes friggin' cough medicine!?!?

There is a LOT I want to say regarding the specifics of this story, but I'm not at liberty to speak about it because it's being handled by Cush's agent and attorney. So for now, I'm just going to address the topics that have been directed specifically towards me and my gym...

I know, how badly I want Brian to come out and say something. I think he had a Press conference today, but I missed it. But try to put yourself in his shoes. Right now, there may not be anything he can possibly say, that won't be spun. He's been fighting this his whole life, and he probably knows how bad rushing to "say something" may hurt more than help.

If you haven't read his trainers comments, I would. This is someone who knows Brian, and has a stake in Brian's regimen.

(must spred rep)

Nice find.

The press conference is, i think, tomorrow at 1pm.

Hopefully he is going to tell his side of the story and what specifically he took that caused the hGC.

I'm with LZ on this. Cush and his team should just take the punishment, stop the speculation and move on.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to defend their name. I know I would, if I were innocent. I can't bash Cushing for this.
Cushing retains award!!
And that was the right thing to do. Otherwise, it would set a bad precedent. Paraphrasing Jason Whitlock "If we're rescinding all accolades from suspected steroid users, I'll miss seeing the '70s Steelers when I visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame."
That's quite the testimonial. But as you said, DeFranco has a stake in the perception of Brian Cushing.

Everyone deserves the opportunity to defend their name. I know I would, if I were innocent. I can't bash Cushing for this.

And that was the right thing to do. Otherwise, it would set a bad precedent. Paraphrasing Jason
Whitlock "If we're rescinding all accolades from suspected steroid users, I'll miss seeing the '70s Steelers when I visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

That's quite the testimonial. But as you said, DeFranco has a stake in the perception of Brian Cushing.

As long as he doesn't start misremembering stuff .

Anti-doping experts say NFL's handling of Brian Cushing's positive test devalues drug-testing policy
BY Michael O'Keeffe and Nathaniel Vinton
NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Levey/GettyHouston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing plays the entire season following a positive test for a banned substance, a decision that draws the ire of anti-doping experts critical of the NFL's policy. Related NewsArticlesMLB to put Dominican prospects to testThe 'roid life: Actor's story a cautionary taleCushing ban could cost him rookie awardSanchez 'surprised' by Cushing's failed drug testSean Penn sentenced to anger management class for battery charge against photogAnti-doping experts said Wednesday that allowing Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing to play for an entire season after testing positive for a banned substance makes a mockery of the NFL's drug-testing program.

"It is so far beyond the pale that it negates the intent of the policy," said Dr. Gary Wadler, an associate professor of medicine at New York University and an adviser to the World Anti-Doping Agency. "This guy gets tested in September and plays the whole season? He played so well he was named defensive rookie of the year? Then it is announced that he was taking a performance-enhancing drug? That doesn't make sense.

"It makes a mockery of the anti-doping process."

In September, Cushing submitted the urine that tested positive for human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), a banned substance sometimes prescribed as a fertility aid that is also favored by steroid users whose ability to produce natural testosterone has been diminished. He was not disciplined by the league until last week.

According to Dr. Lewis Maharam, medical director of the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon Series, the NFL's lag time is unacceptable.

"For any drug program to be effective, you need to streamline the appeals process to make it faster," Maharam said. "Legal challenges need to be handled rapidly. Setting up a system that drags it out allows some to delay the process."

Cushing, 23, will be suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2010 season, although he can participate in offseason workouts, training camp and preseason games. He will not be eligible for the Pro Bowl or any NFL-sponsored awards.

Cushing was awarded the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Award in January and retained the award in a revote this week called by the Associated Press, which conducts the balloting, after his hCG use became public. Eighteen of 50 scribes voted again for Cushing.

Cushing has denied doping, and emphasized that hCG is "non-steroidal," but the substance is well-known in the steroid underworld as an accessory to steroid use because it helps kick-start natural testosterone after a steroid cycle.

"I have never heard of somebody just taking it just to take it," said Scott Siegel, a former steroid dealer currently in Westchester County Jail. "Mostly everyone I know would be bodybuilders taking it after a cycle."

Siegel, who played a steroid dealer in the 2008 film "The Wrestler," said the drug is very common among steroid users.

You can also read the rest of the article on page 2. Link

That's my thoughts, as well.

Some people say he shouldn't have to lay all of that out...but why not?

Not knowing the "why?" behind this whole mess is not going to make it go away. An absence of information will cause others to fill in the blanks on their own. Perception can be reality.

The best P.R. jobs are the ones where the entity comes right out and spells everything out in so much detail that it's maybe even over-board to a degree. Withholding information, for ANY reason, means that there's a potential soft spot being protected.

Still a Cushing fan. Just not sure this is going to go away so easily. We're in the Information Age--We want it, and we want it 5 minutes ago.
+

Perception IS reality, as evidencened by the responce spectrum on this board. There've been persuading arguments all over the board as well. How much will folks perception really change after we "hear it from the horse's mouth?"

Will he say "too much" or "not enough"?

Just axin...

That's my thoughts, as well.

Some people say he shouldn't have to lay all of that out...but why not?

Not knowing the "why?" behind this whole mess is not going to make it go away. An absence of information will cause others to fill in the blanks on their own. Perception can be reality.

The best P.R. jobs are the ones where the entity comes right out and spells everything out in so much detail that it's maybe even over-board to a degree. Withholding information, for ANY reason, means that there's a potential soft spot being protected.

Still a Cushing fan. Just not sure this is going to go away so easily. We're in the Information Age--We want it, and we want it 5 minutes ago.

I kinda missed this in between all the messages that were going back and forth.

Perception is reality in those situations where what some perceiving group's perceptions are actually matter.

If you're an actor or an actress or a politician or an entertainer of some sort, how you're perceived is everything. Your reputation and other people's perceptions of you is your livelihood. If people think you're a jerk or a cheater or something, they're not going to vote for you or they're not going to buy your CD or they're not going to see your movie or whatever.

But this isn't that sort of situation. Our perception of Brian Cushing doesn't really mean anything. If we, the fans, think he's a cheater, it doesn't matter. Because his job and his getting work depends on what the GMs, Coaches, and Owners think and in particular at the moment, what Rick Smith and Bob McNair think. As long as he plays well, there's going to be spot for him. He could even test positive again and there are teams out there that would be more than happy to pick him up if we cut him.

So, he doesn't have to come clean and make his case to us. He needs to come clean and make his case to the Texans. And if/when he reaches FA and this is still an issue, he'll need to come clean to any clubs that are interested in him.

If he wants to present his case to the fans, that's fine. But he doesn't need to do it. It's not going to change anything relevant.

Our perception of Brian Cushing doesn't really mean anything. If we, the fans, think he's a cheater, it doesn't matter.

So, he doesn't have to come clean and make his case to us.

If he wants to present his case to the fans, that's fine. But he doesn't need to do it. It's not going to change anything relevant.

I agree. Those who support him, will continue to support him. Those who don't, already think he is a liar and a cheat, so they won't believe anything he says anyway.

This piece tries to offer possible reasons for the inordinate lag of sample to revelation.....most seems to be placed on the appeals process. LINK It certainly appears that Cushing had substantial opportunity to present a full "legal" argument before final conclusions were made and consequence applied. Conclusions were not based on coin toss.

I agree. Those who support him, will continue to support him. Those who don't, already think he is a liar and a cheat, so they won't believe anything he says anyway.

Then there are those in the middle, like me.

I support him. But I have doubts as to what's true.

Only one man knows the complete truth, and it's Brian Cushing. Can I believe him? I don't know. Is it naive to believe him? Probably.

At this point, there's a lot being written (by fans AND sports writers) about him. I don't think he cares. I doubt we see him show contrition on any platform. And the media is going to be furious about that. Fans are going to be furious about that.

97% of the comments on the espn.com story are saying he should be locked up and tortured for taking steroids. It's amazing. The media has made people parrot so much, without the reader even remotely being an independent thinker. So it's easy to see what impact media has on us. It's heavy.

I like the various opinions I see hre, because it's a lot more diverse than what I am seeing elsewhere.

I support the guy, too. I haven't lost faith in him. There's a chance he took some stuff in the shadows (with even DeFranco not knowing about it) but there's a chance he didn't. He's missing our first 4 games, and that's the bulk of frustration.

Personally, I'm siding with the most educated medical opinion on the forum. Y'all think what you want.

Personally, I'm siding with the most educated medical opinion on the forum. Y'all think what you want.

I hear you. CND has had some very objective and scientific information here.

That's what places me just off-center of "homer" on this situation. He failed a test, the cHG thingey is most likely a mask for coming off a cycle, as has been documented.

But I still have to find a way to trust that he'll come out of this thing a better person. I just don't want to see him fall into the sports media trap; trying to be the emotional, misty-eyed "I know I have a lot of growing up to do" act.

Talk about your tests you've passed, even since the positive test in September. Talk about your nutritional regimen and commitment to being first in the gym, last out of the gym. Go as far as you can go witout looking foolish or arrogant, then thank everyone and speak with your shoulder pads the next time you speak at all.

That's what I am hoping for.

This, coupled with the principle of Occam's razor, makes it a case of using logic over emotion-based reaction.

Cushing is our guy. I'll support him as a Texans fan. But I'm not going to wear blinders because I'm a Texans fan. It is what it is at the end of the day, regardless of personal opinions about the subject of drug testing or PEDs.

This, coupled with the principle of Occam's razor, makes it a case of using logic over emotion-based reaction.

Cushing is our guy. I'll support him as a Texans fan. But I'm not going to wear blinders because I'm a Texans fan. It is what it is at the end of the day, regardless of personal opinions about the subject of drug testing or PEDs.

I'm to the point of just having fun with it.

Anything else would be raising blood pressure levels, and trying to contain something that's beyond our control. Look at the Steelers. LOL.

Everybody takes a P.R. hit every now and then, even Bobby McNair's angelic franchise of do-good'ers.

I'm to the point of just having fun with it.

Anything else would be raising blood pressure levels, and trying to contain something that's beyond our control. Look at the Steelers. LOL.

Everybody takes a P.R. hit every now and then, even Bobby McNair's angelic franchise of do-good'ers.

yeah, I'm the same way. This stuff, including pro football itself, is merely entertainment and nothing more. :tv:

Your last point is interesting. I was chatting with a a buddy of mine last year after D.Rob's "pay me Rick" episode, and he said #23 would be "gone next year" (2010 off-season).

I chatted with him Saturday after the Cushing story broke, and he said the same thing. NOTHING is allowed to taint the image of the almighty corporate logo without repercussions. It is his belief that this is a fundamental policy of the great marketing machine known as the Houston Texans.

I don't agree/disagree with him at this point, but I wouldn't' be surprised if it happens in the 2011 off-season. I hope not, but it still wouldn't surprise me.

yeah, I'm the same way. This stuff, including pro football itself, is merely entertainment and nothing more. :tv:

Your last point is interesting. I was chatting with a a buddy of mine last year after D.Rob's "pay me Rick" episode, and he said #23 would be "gone next year" (2010 off-season).

I chatted with him Saturday after the Cushing story broke, and he said the same thing. NOTHING is allowed to taint the image of the almighty corporate logo without repercussions. It is his belief that this is a fundamental policy of the great marketing machine known as the Houston Texans.

I don't agree/disagree with him at this point, but I wouldn't' be surprised if it happens in the 2011 off-season. I hope not, but it still wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think this is the case with Cushing. I just got an email from HoustonTexans.com advertising the Cushing Presser...

cushing_stand22.jpg

If that's the case, then fire Kubiak AND Smith for drafting him and wasting the 15th overall pick. Nobody should escape the reaper if that's going to happen.

They can salvage the situation, IMO. They have an obligation to try. If they stuck their neck out for David Carr and Dunta Robinson with roughly a total of $19 million or so, two guys who at various point had their poster-boy image exceeded by their medicore on-field contributions, then they better commit 2010 to letting Cushing play all year and show that he can pass tests.

I want this team to quit enabling losers who have less flavor than vanilla ice cream, and try to actually be MEN who can shape and guide the Cedric Bensons and other marginal-character guys who just want another shake at things. This Cake-In-A-Box, ready-made "instant" choir boy philosophy that the Texans P.R. machine is promoting is so flawed. Every person goes through ups and downs in life. How about the Texans just stop it already and try to be a hand that lifts somebody up, instead of appearing to be an exclusive club of the clean-and-tidy.

There goes my blood pressure levels again. Finding the humor in 3...2...1.....:clown:

personally to me this ranks right up there in Houston Texans history. Cushing has been nothing short of miraculous in his approach to becoming the best LB possible. he is a stand up guy, love his passion & aggression he brings to the game. it's been informative & educational to read along this thread to many expert opinions on enhancing substances (thank's to Cloak especially) but regardless of public opinion I remain in his corner & will continue to pull for Cush moving forward, lesson learned :texflag:

I was chatting with a a buddy of mine last year after D.Rob's "pay me Rick" episode, and he said #23 would be "gone next year" (2010 off-season).

Except Cushing is actually good.

If that's the case, then fire Kubiak AND Smith for drafting him and wasting the 15th overall pick. Nobody should escape the reaper if that's going to happen.

They can salvage the situation, IMO. They have an obligation to try. If they stuck their neck out for David Carr and Dunta Robinson with roughly a total of $19 million or so, two guys who at various point had their poster-boy image exceeded by their medicore on-field contributions, then they better commit 2010 to letting Cushing play all year and show that he can pass tests.

I want this team to quit enabling losers who have less flavor than vanilla ice cream, and try to actually be MEN who can shape and guide the Cedric Bensons and other marginal-character guys who just want another shake at things. This Cake-In-A-Box, ready-made "instant" choir boy philosophy that the Texans P.R. machine is promoting is so flawed. Every person goes through ups and downs in life. How about the Texans just stop it already and try to be a hand that lifts somebody up, instead of appearing to be an exclusive club of the clean-and-tidy.

There goes my blood pressure levels again. Finding the humor in 3...2...1.....:clown:

My take is that if Cushing comes back this season and his level of play is as good or better than last year, all of this will blow over and he'll be Texan for awhile.

He's not a mouth like D.Rob was and his work ethic and leadership, not to mention his bone-crushing play, will keep the fans happy and this will probably keep the front office happy.

personally to me this ranks right up there in Houston Texans history. Cushing has been nothing short of miraculous in his approach to becoming the best LB possible. he is a stand up guy, love his passion & aggression he brings to the game. it's been informative & educational to read along this thread to many expert opinions on enhancing substances (thank's to Cloak especially) but regardless of public opinion I remain in his corner & will continue to pull for Cush moving forward, lesson learned :texflag:

I agree completely. Cushing is our beast! :kingkong:

Except Cushing is actually good.

lol! No doubt about that! :texflag:

Back