Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

Wentz went downhill in 2020 with the Eagles when his sack and interception numbers skyrocketed. Philly had crap WRs and Wentz wouldn't/couldn't get the ball out. Nothing's really changed in his last two stops in Indy and Washington. Injuries are likely to be a part of it. But there have been questions regarding his makeup since he struggled in Philly. Some guys (like David Carr) have the tools but not the football character to be winning NFL QBs.
The teams that got Wentz didn't have the team to support/improve him.

As a Caserio supporter, do you think he would do better job extending a Stroud than OBrien handled Watson's?

I believe this agent is a POS and staying as far away from him as possible is the best course of action. Unless there's a very special player this agent represents. Stroud's not this guy. IMHO

I mean Levis or Hooker have just as good of a chance of being as successful as Stroud, if not more so.

How rare Bryce Young's size is from dudes who think he is the best QB in the draft.
These two guys are confident he is between 5'10" and 5'101/2" and around 188.
Yeah, it is a different league these days where the QB is better protected by the league rules and Young does have very good escapabilty, but dudes, that is small - almost historically so. 😬

Yeah, it is a different league these days where the QB is better protected by the league rules and Young does have very good escapabilty, but dudes, that is small - almost historically so. 😬
Even if they are "wrong" and Young is 6'0" and 205, Bryce is still like a 1 or 2 percenter in his height/weight combo for all NFL QBs much less drafted at the top of the first round. A team has to be convinced that they can scheme around this size and the player can overcome that historic size issue. That's a lot to beat on in the AFC with a lot of full-sized, under 30 really 27-year-old QBs.

Reactions: JB
Even if they are "wrong" and Young is 6'0" and 205, Bryce is still like a 1 or 2 percenter in his height/weight combo for all NFL QBs much less drafted at the top of the first round. A team has to be convinced that they can scheme around this size and the player can overcome that historic size issue. That's a lot to beat on in the AFC with a lot of full-sized, under 30 really 27-year-old QBs.
Agree.
You don't want your QB taking a beating even when he is a big strapping guy.
If you think your Oline is still going to be under pressure from blitzes, then you boost your run game - better for your RBs to be running the ball than your most valuable player.

How rare Bryce Young's size is from dudes who think he is the best QB in the draft.
I don't know either of these 2 dudes from squat. But if they are paid internet scouts, why the big fuss over Young's size, now? You've watched him play for 2 years. He's been that size the whole time. Seems like you would have accepted that Young can play at that size by now?

I do agree with their point that Young would have never been given the opportunity to play QB at a big time school 15-20 years ago. If Nick Saban was OK with it should tell you that the NFL is OK with Bryce Young playing QB.

If god has a sense of humor we will draft a Nigerian midget Qb from Clemson on the advice of Seth Payne.
I do agree with their point that Young would have never been given the opportunity to play QB at a big time school 15-20 years ago. If Nick Saban was OK with it should tell you that the NFL is OK with Bryce Young playing QB.
Hopefully Demeco has a good and close relationship with his x-college coach who he can get a very honest appraisal from on
Bryce Young which only a player's coach from daily contact and communications over the course of complete multiple seasons
would know.

I don't know either of these 2 dudes from squat. But if they are paid internet scouts, why the big fuss over Young's size, now? You've watched him play for 2 years. He's been that size the whole time. Seems like you would have accepted that Young can play at that size by now?

Dudes are PFF with a spin off YouTube for context

Otherwise ... This is what happens every draft season especially with QBs.... always there, flaws get magnified

Last edited:
Hopefully Demeco has a good and close relationship with his x-college coach who he can get a very honest appraisal from on
Saban was the Dolphins HC when Ryans was at Bama. But, I'm sure they know each other.

Not almost

They think he's a unicorn.

Saban was the Dolphins HC when Ryans was at Bama. But, I'm sure they know each other.
That's too bad.
Of course a coach has certain ethical and legal considerations when it comes to confiding in others regarding his players potential to compete at a higher level (the NFL), but still it would seem like it'd be helpful if Saban had coached Demeco in college though yes I'd imagine they are acquainted but that would not the same.

Agree.
You don't want your QB taking a beating even when he is a big strapping guy.
If you think your Oline is still going to be under pressure from blitzes, then you boost your run game - better for your RBs to be running the ball than your most valuable player.
His build is only an issue if availability is a primary concern. Looking at Caserio’s draft history we don’t need to worry about that.

As long as Levis or Stroud doesn’t suffer a major injury in the offseason, Young will be a Texans.

His build is only an issue if availability is a primary concern. Looking at Caserio’s draft history we don’t need to worry about that.

As long as Levis or Stroud doesn’t suffer a major injury in the offseason, Young will be a Texans.
are you ruling out the Colts trade past Houston for Young?

I am, and have been the minority, since before the end of the season, in my appreciation - admiration of CJ Stroud. I began my short stint at QB some sixty years ago .... at that time until the current time, I have always considered accuracy to be the most important trait for a quarterback .... "and that's all I got to say about that"! .... Forest Gump.

I am, and have been the minority, since before the end of the season, in my appreciation - admiration of CJ Stroud. I began my short stint at QB some sixty years ago .... at that time until the current time, I have always considered accuracy to be the most important trait for a quarterback .... "and that's all I got to say about that"! .... Forest Gump.
I know accuracy is a big thing in the WCO and Stroud has that in spades. At this point I have him as my top pick and Young as my second.

We don't have that. They all have warts and flaws, but I think there's five potential solid starters in this group. I have it Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Levis, Richardson. But, again, if you know who you have developing these guys and you have a plan in place, I think it's very close when you look at how those guys stack up. For me it's Bryce, a gap, and then those other three guys. I think it's however they fit you, what plan you have in place, and how you want to use them. If you have a veteran in place for a year, I think Anthony Richardson you can make that case. You've got a coordinator that understands how to incorporate Will Levis' athleticism right now. I know in talking to folks that have been through there, they rave about his ability to handle a lot of information. So if you think about Josh McDaniels and his offense, it's been kind of known as they can put a lot on your plate. It sounds like that's something he is comfortable doing. I would put Hendon Hooker in that same realm just in terms of when they talk about his football acumen. He is going to be able to pick it up and handle a large playbook there. Stroud to me is just like the -- he is the purest thrower of the bunch. Just accurate. If you value decision-making, accuracy, as pretty much everybody does, CJ Stroud is really, really solid in that area. That's why he is No. 2 for me. Bryce I think outside the size just does everything at a very high level.

CJ Stroud is a better fit for that 49er system Slowik intends to install than Bryce Young. Very close comp to Trey Lance, does offer some, dual threat capability, but is absolutely more dangerous, more polished and accurate passer of the football.

Everybody here knows of our own resident draft guru and NFL contributor Lance Zierlein, well his pre-combine draft grade for Stroud is 6.46 he gave Lance a 6.47. San Francisco in the trade up to No. 3 in the 2021 draft sent their 2021, 2022 and 2023 first-round choices, along with a third-round pick in the 2022 draft to the Dolphins. And we *****, there isn’t value in selecting one with the second overall selection. Let’s wait until next season so we can trade 3 #1’s to move up for a franchise QB, see how that works and the bitching that ensues:slapfight:

There is a relatively new cognitive test called S2 that measures how quickly and accurately athletes process information. Started with 2015 draft class I’d have never heard of it before reading in The Athletic.

Administered to any position but most applicable to QB skill set, ability to process information quickly. The example they illustrate is Brock Purdy. Watching Purdy @ Combine on the surface you saw below-average height, a merely adequate arm and foot speed QB. But his S2 test was mid 90’s similar to same score of Drew Brees. In fact most NFL elite QB’s Cross check this box (97th percentile for Joe Burrow- tested while @ LSU).

Top-tier quarterbacks have the highest average scores, followed closely by safeties. That makes sense considering safeties are known as the “quarterback of the defense” and must keep an eye on multiple moving opponents.

Reportedly, Bryce Young S2 score was “impressive” and has been getting tested since the 10th grade. Just my own hunch, from reflection of his quick reactions on field he’s in Purdy range. So take that with grain of salt every time someone says he’s too small, or other derogatory expletive. Have no idea what Stroud scored, these results up until now have been kept quiet.

There is a relatively new cognitive test called S2 that measures how quickly and accurately athletes process information. Started with 2015 draft class I’d have never heard of it before reading in The Athletic.

Administered to any position but most applicable to QB skill set, ability to process information quickly. The example they illustrate is Brock Purdy. Watching Purdy @ Combine on the surface you saw below-average height, a merely adequate arm and foot speed QB. But his S2 test was mid 90’s similar to same score of Drew Brees. In fact most NFL elite QB’s Cross check this box (97th percentile for Joe Burrow- tested while @ LSU).

Top-tier quarterbacks have the highest average scores, followed closely by safeties. That makes sense considering safeties are known as the “quarterback of the defense” and must keep an eye on multiple moving opponents.

Reportedly, Bryce Young S2 score was “impressive” and has been getting tested since the 10th grade. Just my own hunch, from reflection of his quick reactions on field he’s in Purdy range. So take that with grain of salt every time someone says he’s too small, or other derogatory expletive. Have no idea what Stroud scored, these results up until now have been kept quiet.
First I've heard about these S2 scores. That Young scores well not surprising.

Seems the league has been aware of the S2 test for a while but this is the first time I've heard of it.
Makes me wonder why, if the scores are supposed to be secret, that we know Young's score and not Stroud's?
Either way, you had better shore up the Texans Oline and running game to give your rookie every chance at success.
If I'm a candidate called to meet with a team that I want to go to, I keep my S2 report in my resume folder to present to them - if it's impressive that is.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying this test is the definitive metric for determining who can play football. Just another piece in the puzzle in the total evaluation.

Here's a video on S2.
Absolutely. There's no substitute for game tape and success rate.
Still, it does seem to be a sound metric when added to those criteria - especially when adding in other variables like the quality of the team around them.

When is Purdy going to have surgery?

Has the swelling in his elbow gone down yet? They had to cancel his 1st surgery.

I wonder what O'Connell scored on this test? He gets the ball out faster than any QB in this draft.

Back