Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

I will admit that they do have some similarities. Williams has more god given talent though. You're about to talk me out of Williams as QB1. Lets see if he improves next season.
I can't ever remember someone talking you out of a player. They're basically the same player when I watch them and I'm cool with that. I mean who would've thought in their wildest dreams that Hurts would be in the superbowl? The NFL is changing and has been for a few years now. KC doesn't win that game and a few others without Mahomes mobility. Mobility is the X-factor. I like Williams alot because he does remind me of the type of new age qb. He needs a system tailored to his strength something Watson never had. That's something Mahomes, Allen,and Hurts has which helps the team and maximizes the qb. There isn't anything wrong with that.

I can't ever remember someone talking you out of a player. They're basically the same player when I watch them and I'm cool with that. I mean who would've thought in their wildest dreams that Hurts would be in the superbowl? The NFL is changing and has been for a few years now. KC doesn't win that game and a few others without Mahomes mobility. Mobility is the X-factor. I like Williams alot because he does remind me of the type of new age qb. He needs a system tailored to his strength something Watson never had. That's something Mahomes, Allen,and Hurts has which helps the team and maximizes the qb. There isn't anything wrong with that.
Agree.
The pure pocket passer is now a dinosaur - he needs a clean pocket to be effective and he needs to have a quick release for the short passing game which is going to be the majority of his passes. A first rate running game is also key to his continuing success.
The guy who can get outside the pocket and create plays a la Mahomes, Rogers, Hurts and others are the danger men.
Bryce Young is one of those guys.

Agree.
The pure pocket passer is now a dinosaur - he needs a clean pocket to be effective and he needs to have a quick release for the short passing game which is going to be the majority of his passes.
The guy who can get outside the pocket and create plays a la Mahomes, Rogers, Hurts and others are the danger men.
Bryce Young is one of those guys.
If Stroud played more like he did vs Georgia, he would be the clear #1 pick. I watched him alot and i got frustrated when he would just sit in the pocket. Its like sometimes , black qbs tries to prove the point of being purely pocket qbs. CJ can move, he just don't for some odd reason and play outside the pocket. The most imprssive thing about Strous is he gives his wr's a chance at the ball. He throws the ball over the proper shoulder even when wr's are being contested.

I'm good with a Burrow type running QB.

Love me some Hurts and said I was rooting for the hometown guy to get a ring since before the playoffs started.

the Stroud comps i've read that i agree with are Burrow (ceiling) and Goff (floor)

his reluctance to run is perhaps more related to his talents & football DNA

Troy Aikman is my kool-aid comp

Young has many completed 30yd throws that Stroud would have scored tds on...dude is super accurate.

I talked him out of Penix....I think :)

If Stroud played more like he did vs Georgia, he would be the clear #1 pick. I watched him alot and i got frustrated when he would just sit in the pocket. Its like sometimes , black qbs tries to prove the point of being purely pocket qbs. CJ can move, he just don't for some odd reason and play outside the pocket. The most imprssive thing about Strous is he gives his wr's a chance at the ball. He throws the ball over the proper shoulder even when wr's are being contested.

He don't move alot b/c he's a qb & those guys don't like to be hit period.......& all moving and running around does is increases the odds of that happening. But that's not any different from most all qbs lol.

But i agree with you to a point. I think there is a stubborness with black qbs about that b/c they more often than they're white counterparts are more likely to be labeled as running qbs, but the motivations behind it aren't necessarily for what people think...Well in some instances, it might be for EXACTLY what people think..which is money. Long story short, you're not gonna see the same type of money being labeled as a running qb vs being labeled as a traditional pocket passing qb. & even if you are due to recieve a big pay day as a guy labeled more of a runner, you're going to have trouble getting what you deserve/ask for...even as a good winning starting qb vs 1 labeled as even a slightly above average pocket guy. The thinking there with NFL FO's is that the running guy can be more readily replaced vs the pocket guy...& i'm not so sure that's not correct...but look at the most recent past and current situations.

Kyler Murray had to issue subliminals on twitter towards the Ariz franchise before they capitulated & paid him.

Dak was correctly labeled as a running qb coming out...even as a 4th rounder who was expected to do nothing tho he showed over the years that he can pass from the pocket with the best of them. Yet he still had a relatively drawn out contract situation before Jerry finally went on a paid him....but before that happened, he got hurt running the ball & the issue came right back up..."Is he really worth 40 mil?"

Then there's the LJ8 situation. Ravens low-balling this dude who is a former MVP...& trying to blame him not getting the extension he wants on him not having an agent & more recently b/c of his injury to end 2022 & the possibility of him getting a serious injury sometime down the line b/c he runs more than average.

Meanwhile, Josh Allen got paid & had no issues getting paid...b/c he's not labeled as a running qb..even though he runs more than perhaps anyone on this list not named Lamar Jackson.

A dude like Kirk Cousins not labeled as a pocket passer......who also has done really nothing team or individual wise has quietly racked up 115 million.....guaranteed..33 per over the last 4 years & had no real issues getting it.

Mahomes signed a half billion dollar deal..noone batted an eye about it either other than b/c of how much it was...& he's been hurt alot over the last few years & runs/scramble alot too. why isn't he labeled a as running qb?

& if Hurts doesn't change the narrative on who he is, we should expect him to have a difficult contract situation in a few years as well...especially if they wind up losing this SB b/c of him not effectively passing the ball from the pocket.

So i won't knock Stroud or any of these young black qbs coming out if they're trying to do all they can to shake and/or keep away from that stigma of being a running qb that alot of them get labeled b/c they can move.

Last edited:
He don't move alot b/c he's a qb & those guys don't like to be hit period.......& all moving and running around does is increases the odds of that happening. But that's not any different from most all qbs lol.

But i agree with you to a point. I think there is a stubborness with black qbs about that b/c they more often than they're white counterparts are more likely to be labeled as running qbs, but the motivations behind it aren't necessarily for what people think...Well in some instances, it might be for EXACTLY what people think..which is money. Long story short, you're not gonna see the same type of money being labeled as a running qb vs being labeled as a traditional pocket passing qb. & even if you are due to recieve a big pay day as a guy labeled more of a runner, you're going to have trouble getting what you deserve/ask for...even as a good winning starting qb vs 1 labeled as even a slightly above average pocket guy. The thinking there with NFL FO's is that the running guy can be more readily replaced vs the pocket guy...& i'm not so sure that's not correct...but look at the most recent past and current situations.

Kyler Murray had to issue subliminals on twitter towards the Ariz franchise before they capitulated & paid him.

Dak was correctly labeled as a running qb coming out...even as a 4th rounder who was expected to do nothing tho he showed over the years that he can pass from the pocket with the best of them. Yet he still had a relatively drawn out contract situation before Jerry finally went on a paid him....but before that happened, he got hurt running the ball & the issue came right back up..."Is he really worth 40 mil?"

Then there's the LJ8 situation. Ravens low-balling this dude who is a former MVP...& trying to blame him not getting the extension he wants on him not having an agent & more recently b/c of his injury to end 2022 & the possibility of him getting a serious injury sometime down the line b/c he runs more than average.

Meanwhile, Josh Allen got paid & had no issues getting paid...b/c he's not labeled as a running qb..even though he runs more than perhaps anyone on this list not named Lamar Jackson.

A dude like Kirk Cousins not labeled as a pocket passer......who also has done really nothing team or individual wise has quietly racked up 115 million.....guaranteed..33 per over the last 4 years & had no real issues getting it.

Mahomes signed a half billion dollar deal..noone batted an eye about it either other than b/c of how much it was...& he's been hurt alot over the last few years & runs/scramble alot too. why isn't he labeled a as running qb?

& if Hurts doesn't change the narrative on who he is, we should expect him to have a difficult contract situation in a few years as well...especially if they wind up losing this SB b/c of him not effectively passing the ball from the pocket.

So i won't knock Stroud or any of these young black qbs coming out if they're trying to do all they can to shake and/or keep away from that stigma of being a running qb that alot of them get labeled b/c they can move.
That a very astute observation. I remember when Mike Vick lit up the vaunted steelers defense, from the pocket to prove a point. Mc nabb was probably the 1st freeze option qb to be successful, but in the playoffs, he used his legs more. Doug and Moon were straight pocket qb's. Nobody callas Daniel Jones a running qb even though thats his best trait and the stereotypical sneaky fast label is placed on him. The Lamar contract is ridiculous to the point of he was the MVP of the NFL and his team has won alot of games despite his so called short comings. Its a weird paradox, but I think its changing some.

You talked me into checking out Hyatt

Now he's my WR1 over Johnston.

You talked me into checking out Hyatt

Now he's my WR1 over Johnston.
I still like Johnston, he meets my ypc as a wr. I could go with either honestly because I think Hyatt after the combine or pro day, evaluators will match that speed with his game tape. I think Johnston will have to run a 4.4 ish to maintain his top spot. He has everything else.

Doug and Moon were straight pocket qb's.
Moon ran the option at Washington, but clearly showed enough passing ability to get drafted. It was an insult to ask him to workout at DB and WR. That's why he signed with the CFL prior to the draft. I truly believe Moon would have been drafted as a QB in 1978. Williams went #17 to the Bucs. But signing with the CFL nixed that. Which actually worked out well for Moon in the end.

It's pretty bad when a team has to put in a contract that the QB/Leader of the team has to watch X amount of film to get paid.

Dak's contract is the albatross that means the Cowboys will never win a championship. He's the conundrum, you have to play at a very high level for 3/4 games in a row to win a championship.

LJ- the last 2 seasons LJ has been hurt going into the playoffs and he wasn't that great in the playoffs before he started getting injured. Then there's the fact that the 2 sides are 100 mil a part. Do you think LJ's game bodes well for him getting paid in the future?

Mahomes rightfully got paid.

Hurts is going to get paid after next season.

Bottom line for me is being a black/white or green after 7-8 yrs QB's take up too much of the cap to win a SB. So you start looking around and thinking about moving on.

Moon ran the option at Washington, but clearly showed enough passing ability to get drafted. It was an insult to ask him to workout at DB and WR. That's why he signed with the CFL prior to the draft. I truly believe Moon would have been drafted as a QB in 1978. Williams went #17 to the Bucs. But signing with the CFL nixed that. Which actually worked out well for Moon in the end.

Cant stand Moon as a person or a player.

I know that's an unpopular opinion around these parts.

It was kinda weird Williams from Grambling gets drafted in 1st rd and Moon from the Pac 10 didn't. The did Williams dirty afetr taking the Bucs to NFC championship game, Then he had to sit out a year and was the backup in Washington before taking them to the superbowl. Then had to fight for another contract. Doug was about 6'5 too

It was kinda weird Williams from Grambling gets drafted in 1st rd
Well, Williams was one of the greatest deep passers the college game had ever seen. Coach Robinson designed the Grambling offense around Williams passing ability. Grambling was still Grambling then, and scouts were at every game. Louisiana QBs were very much respected then. Bradshaw, Joe Ferguson, Bert Jones. Doug Williams was right there with them. Yeah he was black, and that was still a problem for some teams. But some teams wanted a QB that could drop a football in a bucket from 75 yards, regardless.

Well, Williams was one of the greatest deep passers the college game had ever seen. Coach Robinson designed the Grambling offense around Williams passing ability. Grambling was still Grambling then, and scouts were at every game. Louisiana QBs were very much respected then. Bradshaw, Joe Ferguson, Bert Jones. Doug Williams was right there with them. Yeah he was black, and that was still a problem for some teams. But some teams wanted a QB that could drop a football in a bucket from 75 yards, regardless.
Whats funny is when Coach Prime went to JSU and everyone thought it was a step down, he stated JSU had more hof players than FSU. That was a fact. In fact, JSU had more 4 star players that were at Colorado

Whats funny is when Coach Prime went to JSU and everyone thought it was a step down, he stated JSU had more hof players than FSU. That was a fact. In fact, JSU had more 4 star players that were at Colorado
Think about this: Had you been in Grambling, LA on October 26, 1974, you could have watched the Grambling State Tigers, with Doug Williams, Sammy White, and Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, defeat the Jackson State Tigers, with Walter Payton, Jackie Slater, and Robert Brazile, by the score of 26-13.

How many college football games have you seen with that kind of talent?

Think about this: Had you been in Grambling, LA on October 26, 1974, you could have watched the Grambling State Tigers, with Doug Williams, Sammy White, and Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, defeat the Jackson State Tigers, with Walter Payton, Jackie Slater, and Robert Brazile, by the score of 26-13.

How many college football games have you seen with that kind of talent?
I know when I 1st saw Steve McNair at Alcorn St, I knew he was the best qb in college football in 94. He literraly tilted the field.

Hurts is eligible for an extension this offseason. And he'll get one. The owner, Lurie, loves Hurts.

its not a question of whether he’ll get paid. Its a question of whether he’ll get paid the same market rate that a pocket passing qb would as a starting qb who was an integral part in leading his team to a SB appearance.

It was kinda weird Williams from Grambling gets drafted in 1st rd and Moon from the Pac 10 didn't. The did Williams dirty afetr taking the Bucs to NFC championship game, Then he had to sit out a year and was the backup in Washington before taking them to the superbowl. Then had to fight for another contract. Doug was about 6'5 too

The football life they did on Doug was amazing..

But it wasn’t necessarily weird that Doug went 1st round. By that time, the SWAC had a not so well kept low key rep as as the “NFL incubator” b/c So many HoFers and great players from back in the day came from there. Especially for such a small league deemed inferior to the power 5 leagues. Off the top of my head: Robert Brazile, Deacon Jones, Jackie Slater, Willie Lanier, Marion Motley, Jerry…Walter. The list goes on and on.

It's pretty bad when a team has to put in a contract that the QB/Leader of the team has to watch X amount of film to get paid.

Dak's contract is the albatross that means the Cowboys will never win a championship. He's the conundrum, you have to play at a very high level for 3/4 games in a row to win a championship.

LJ- the last 2 seasons LJ has been hurt going into the playoffs and he wasn't that great in the playoffs before he started getting injured. Then there's the fact that the 2 sides are 100 mil a part. Do you think LJ's game bodes well for him getting paid in the future?

Mahomes rightfully got paid.

Bottom line for me is being a black/white or green after 7-8 yrs QB's take up too much of the cap to win a SB. So you start looking around and thinking about moving on.

Zeke’s contract is the albatross that’s already proving to be a mistake.

LJ is a former MVP and the Ravens have done a poor job of drafting WR talent to put around him outside of Andrews. Sure, his playoff performances haven’t been great, but he’s only played in like 2-3 games…Peyton Manning’s first few weren’t great either. plus We’ve seen what that team was without him…not even .500. Plus that defense has fallen off from what it was when he 1st got there.

I actually agree with you about Murray…but he still put up numbers with a bum HC and organization overall…got the team back to the playoffs and did all that without much help from his defense.

Mahomes “rightfully” got paid, but again his running around and getting hurt wasn’t used against him in negotiations like it tends to be used against his counterparts who are labeled as running qbs.

If Jalen Hurts win this coming SB..will you think he deserves a 230+ million dollar deal?

Last edited:
Zeke’s contract is the albatross that’s already proving to be a mistake.

LJ is a former MVP and the Ravens have done a poor job of drafting WR talent to put around him outside of Andrews. Sure, his playoff performances haven’t been great, but he’s only played in like 2-3 games…Peyton Manning’s first few weren’t great either. plus We’ve seen what that team was without him…not even .500. Plus that defense has fallen off from what it was when he 1st got there.

I actually agree with you about Murray…but he still put up numbers with a bum HC and organization overall…got the team back to the playoffs and did all that without much help from his defense.

Mahomes “rightfully” got paid, but again his running around and getting hurt wasn’t used against him in negotiations like it tends to be used against his counterparts who are labeled as running qbs.

If Jalen Hurts win this coming SB..will you think he deserves a 230+ million dollar deal?

I think Dak's an avg QB.

LJ has gotten hurt the last 2 yrs and missed significant time at the end of both yrs, the worst possible time. You want to bet he's going to win you a championship in 5 yrs knowing his style of play and paying him 230 mil? I'm passing and not even thinking twice about it. I would try to find a sucker like the Falcons or Panthers to take him off my hands.

Mahomes- Agreed.

Hurts deserves to get paid, but I would never pay any QB that kind of money, because it lessens the odds of winning championships.

I think Dak's an avg QB.

LJ has gotten hurt the last 2 yrs and missed significant time at the end of both yrs, the worst possible time. You want to bet he's going to win you a championship in 5 yrs knowing his style of play and paying him 230 mil? I'm passing and not even thinking twice about it. I would try to find a sucker like the Falcons or Panthers to take him off my hands.

Mahomes- Agreed.

Hurts deserves to get paid, but I would never pay any QB that kind of money, because it lessens the odds of winning championships.

You can win a SB with an average qb..See Eli Manning.

As far as LJ8…You’re trying to minimize the fault of the organization. He very well may not win a championship in the next 5 years, but how much of the fault resides with the organization for not surrounding him with enough WR talent vs him just not thriving as a passer? Aaron Rodgers hasn’t won a SB in over a decade, has been hirt ALOT over that time and has also failed SEVERAL times in the playoffs as the favorite to get to the SB. In your opinion, has he deserved to get paid the way he has over the last decade? You can’t make your argument credibly if you say yes.

And if you wouldn’t pay any qb that kind of money, the. You’d be drafting a qb every 2-5 years…whivh wouldn’t bode well for sustainable winning of any kind.

As the conversation goes about Young, I'm surprised more people don't talk about arm strength. Lots to like about Young in terms of understanding of the game, throwing with anticipation, poise etc. But his lack of arm strength in a condensed pocket is something to consider.

Last edited:
You can win a SB with an average qb..See Eli Manning.

As far as LJ8…You’re trying to minimize the fault of the organization. He very well may not win a championship in the next 5 years, but how much of the fault resides with the organization for not surrounding him with enough WR talent vs him just not thriving as a passer? Aaron Rodgers hasn’t won a SB in over a decade, has been hirt ALOT over that time and has also failed SEVERAL times in the playoffs as the favorite to get to the SB. In your opinion, has he deserved to get paid the way he has over the last decade? You can’t make your argument credibly if you say yes.

And if you wouldn’t pay any qb that kind of money, the. You’d be drafting a qb every 2-5 years…whivh wouldn’t bode well for sustainable winning of any kind.

Like I said before I wouldn't pay any QB including Rodgers that kind of money.

I would draft a QB and extend him after 4 yrs on his rookie deal, backload the deal so it would give me another 3 or 4 yrs to try to win a championship. In the meantime after yr 6 I would be looking at drafting a QB as a replacement exactly like the Packers did with Rodgers. They should've traded Rodgers/Adams last season and built around Love/Watson.

Overpaying your QB keeps you from winning See: Rodgers/Wilson/Murray etc....

As the conversation goes about Young, I'm surprised more people don't talk about arm strength. Lots to like about Young in terms of understanding of the game, throwing with anticipation, poise etc. But his lack of arm strength in a condensed pocket is something to consider.

Now that I think about it, if Young is picked I can't see how management doesn't invest heavily in the WR early - like #12. Metchie coming back helps, but Young would need another twitchy alpha WR1 and run fast timing routes like Miami did this past season. Like Tua, that will cover up much of the arm strength by allowing him to throw before the pass rush gets home. Minimize Young's weaknesses and work to his other strengths, which are considerable.

The thing I always go back to is that if Tua can succeed the way he did this year, why can't Young? I think Young is more talented overall. Just need to allow Young to work in space, in whichever way you can. Whether that's quick timing throws, better line protection etc.

Now that I think about it, if Young is picked I can't see how management doesn't invest heavily in the WR early - like #12. Metchie coming back helps, but Young would need another twitchy alpha WR1 and run fast timing routes like Miami did this past season. Like Tua, that will cover up much of the arm strength by allowing him to throw before the pass rush gets home. Minimize Young's weaknesses and work to his other strengths, which are considerable.

The thing I always go back to is that if Tua can succeed the way he did this year, why can't Young? I think Young is more talented overall. Just need to allow Young to work in space, in whichever way you can. Whether that's quick timing throws, better line protection etc.

It's the reason Ryans needs to pick Hyatt at 12 and a tall TE Like Washington/Musgrave/Kraft/Payne. He needs twitchy skill position players and taller TE's to throw too.

"Quick timing throws"? That's classic WCO. Precise short & intermediate routes by the WR's, quick processing of the db's by both the receiver & qb, and 3 and 5 step drops by the QB.

Arm strength can be improved to a degree in the training room.

LZ has Musgrave > Mayer

are you recalculating Mayer?

If I'm picking Young I am. I'm picking either Musgrave or Washington at 32. I think Washington can be a better version of a young Mercedes Lewis. Gotta give Young every chance to succeed and be able to overcome his limitations. I wonder what BOB really thinks about Young. I know that's blasphemy around these parts.

I've still got Mayer in the 18-25 range

If I'm picking Young I am. I'm picking either Musgrave or Washington at 32. I think Washington can be a better version of a young Mercedes Lewis. Gotta give Young every chance to succeed and be able to overcome his limitations. I wonder what BOB really thinks about Young. I know that's blasphemy around these parts.

I've still got Mayer in the 18-25 range

that's not a recalculation
you've still got Mayer going first

*i meant who you viewed as TE #1

"Quick timing throws"? That's classic WCO. Precise short & intermediate routes by the WR's, quick processing of the db's by both the receiver & qb, and 3 and 5 step drops by the QB.

Arm strength can be improved to a degree in the training room.

Looks alot like Jimmy G and Purdy to me.

I wouldn't pick either of these guys at 1-2.

Looks alot like Jimmy G and Purdy to me.

I wouldn't pick either of these guys at 1-2.
He's more talented and mobile than those guys. He actually reminds me of a better version of Doug Flutie. Watch some ofhis old games same kinda of games and his elusiveness behind the pocket. But more talented. Slightly bigger too. Might be good in a WCO, although we don't really have the personel for it right now. That's what Ryans wants, so would make sense.

Worth 1-2??? Spin the wheel.

I just heard a report that Bryce Young weighed 5 lbs 9 ounces and measured 19-3/4"
at birth

And people expect him to play QB in the NFL? SEC football, sure. But the NFL?

Short people got no reason
To live
They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet
Well, I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
'Round here

Bryce Young getting his height and weight measured is going to be the most talked about thing at this combine.
yep, can't wait for the

-bragging by posters that they were right about Young's size all along
-the questioning of how the measures are taken
-the allegations of fake weights and Young won't play at that number ever or slow if he tries
-further digging into the viewpoint that the poster already has

:hankpalm::slapfight::smiliepalm:

As if it were only posters on this board.

Bryce Young has come out saying he is working on adding weight. I’m sure he’s not doing that for us.

Never meant to imply that any of those statements were just about this message board.

And of course, Young is trying to fix the most obvious criticism of him as a prospect. Especially since it is something he can at least attempt to do between his last game and Day one of the draft.

To live
They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
'Round here

Bryce Young takes offense of your post.

To live
They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
'Round here
*Bryce Young* - I resemble that remark.

-the questioning of how the measures are taken
-the allegations of fake weights
Are the scale and and stadiometer used at the combine calibrated per NIST SOP? When was the last traceable calibration? Was the calibration forged? By "gaining weight" has Bryce Young surgically implanted platinum into his body?

No matter the results, the public will demand a full on post combine measurement investigation.

To live
They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
'Round here
Randy Newman is the man as a songwriter.

Back