Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

I don't think anyone is saying this test is the definitive metric for determining who can play football. Just another piece in the puzzle in the total evaluation.

Here's a video on S2.

I’m not so sure? If it comes to QB evaluation it’s not a definitive measurement? It’s just so new/untested, more data points to be quantifiable. Minimum Replaces Wonderlick Testing as the mental gymnastics of a prospects draft profile.

Draft hobbyist, like myself, will just be in dark, waiting for results to leak (Stroud). Getting tape, measurements and medicals from Combine and trying to gain insight through interviews and inside from coaches, scouts, family and friends. Such a game changer, if you find Mr Irrelevant with specifically targeted information.

I’m not so sure? If it comes to QB evaluation it’s not a definitive measurement? It’s just so new/untested, more data points to be quantifiable.
It is new. And you don't know if it's a chicken or the egg kind of thing. Does having elite cognitive skills mean you're going to be a great QB? Or does playing QB for years improve your cognitive skills?

S2 will tell these players they can improve their cognitive skills with their help. Just as the Wonderlic coaches improved those scores and the speed schools that will improve 40 times. Teams may feel like they're chasing their tails in determining the output of these tests.

Draft matrix evolves as does life on earth.

Process of improvement is one thing, but to actually tap into what causes or influences future performance quite another.

It is new. And you don't know if it's a chicken or the egg kind of thing. Does having elite cognitive skills mean you're going to be a great QB? Or does playing QB for years improve your cognitive skills?

S2 will tell these players they can improve their cognitive skills with their help. Just as the Wonderlic coaches improved those scores and the speed schools that will improve 40 times. Teams may feel like they're chasing their tails in determining the output of these tests.
Great cognitive skills are innate.

You may be able to somewhat improve them. But the great ones are born with this gift.

Maybe the best way to illustrate the dynamic and the complexion of this year’s group is to simply look at Young, the 2021 Heisman winner from Alabama, and boil his NFL evaluation down to a simple fact that no one seems to argue with.

Were Young 6'3" and 220 pounds, there’d be zero question who would go No. 1.

“If he was as big as Justin Fields, there’d be no discussion,” says one NFC exec. “Chicago would take him and move on from Justin.”

“You don’t even have to quote anybody on that,” says an AFC exec. “That’s exactly what it is. The size is just a major deal.”

“If Bryce Young was 6'3", 220,” Jeremiah says, “I would be talking about him like I talked about Burrow and Lawrence.”

“I love Bryce Young, I really do,” McShay says. “I know he’s 195 pounds; a really good friend of mine who’s a scout had him at 5'10½". But I met with him, I’ve talked to him. He’s special. He’s different. He has the poise, the presence in the pocket, the playmaking, everything else you want. I absolutely love Bryce Young. I would bet on him.”

In his next breath, McShay concedes, “If I’m a GM, I’m scared to death of drafting him.”

Bottom line, in a class full of exceptions, you have to make a big one to take Young that high. McShay sees “a smaller version of Patrick Mahomes” in Young. Others agreed the right comparison, because of Young’s size, instincts, accuracy, and football smarts, might be Drew Brees. Patriots OC Bill O’Brien (Bama’s OC the last two years) told any scout who’d listen over the last year that he sees Young as a unique player, person and prospect—and Alabama even scaled back on RPO concepts because Young was so advanced.

The problem is none of that is going to create a precedent for a player of Young’s size, stature and athletic profile making it long term as an NFL star at his position. Betting on Young, as McShay said he would, is betting that he is a total outlier. And his frame is as big an issue as his height, with the fact that he got hurt last year on a simple tackle only raising the concern of how he’ll hold up physically in the pros.

So what he weighs in at in Indy—and it sounds like he’s closing in on 200 pounds—will be scrutinized, for sure, with the likelihood being that he won’t work out at the combine. And that he’ll probably give us our biggest early headlines of the draft cycle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/27/nfl-combine-top-draft-story-lines-bryce-young

For me, it's very very simple. I'm not moving up. 95% chance I'm staying at 2. I mean if they will take a 3rd this year and maybe a 4th next...sure. But let's get real. So, I'm staying at #2.

If Stroud and Young are both available, I'm choosing Young. It's admittedly close because Stroud has the measurables and has very good accuracy.

I'm all about the intangibles in a QB. Young excels in that area so I think it's worth the risk. Sometimes you have to risk it for the biscuit.

If Young is gone at #1 by Chicago or a trade partner, I'm perfectly happy with Stroud at #2.

That's it. It's one of those two. Both of these guys have lots of upside, and are ready to roll in 23.

Last edited:
For me, it's very very simple. I'm not moving up. 95% chance I'm staying at 2. I mean if they will take a 3rd this year and maybe a 4th next...sure. But let's get real. So, I'm staying at #2.

If Stroud and Young are both available, I'm choosing Young. It's admittedly close because Stroud has the measurables and has very good accuracy.

I'm all about the intangibles in a QB. Young excels in that area so I think it's worth the risk. Sometimes you have to risk it for the biscuit.

If Young is gone at #1 by Chicago or a trade partner, I'm perfectly happy with Stroud at #2.

That's it. It's one of those two. Both of these guys have lots of upside, and are ready to roll in 23.

my thoughts in a nutshell. I think both of these young men can succeed in the NFL and we are guaranteed to get 1 of them as long as we stay put. The key as it is with all young qbs is getting them in the right system and the right coaching around them. It APPEARS we have that now….but we will see.

What are the odds that a QB who won the Heisman will also win a Super Bowl?

There've been two - Roger Staubach and Jim Plunkett..

But that question is akin to me to how many QBs who's name starts with the letter X will win a SB?

There are far, far fewer of those names than the field, just like Heisman winners.

It doesn't preclude it in any was as much as it's just a numbers game. And you wouldn't want to just pick one rando name out of either field either.

Has Stroud been interviewed by Texans? Haven’t heard his name and Texans together…

When is Bryce Young’s measurements being taken?

So he is the same size as Kyler Murray. This is a concern to me.
I am not concerned about his size from a performance standpoint. I think he has the physical and mental tools to be successful. However, I am concerned about his size from an availability and durability perspective due to injury.

I'm currently concerned with the health of his shoulder and wonder if this is why he didn't throw at the combine. We can't afford to spend another high draft pick on an injured player. The Texans medical staff needs to be all over him.

Did you know that Will Levis and Anthony Richardson begged off their last college game, fearing injury? Bryce Young played. In a football game. With defenders on the the other side trying to stop him.

Does that look like a QB hiding an injury?
Color me skeptical.

my thoughts in a nutshell. I think both of these young men can succeed in the NFL and we are guaranteed to get 1 of them as long as we stay put. The key as it is with all young qbs is getting them in the right system and the right coaching around them. It APPEARS we have that now….but we will see.
Starting caliber QBs in the NFL are not commodities, each one is unique, which is exactly what a commodity is not and that's why there's a very good chance that our GM-HC combo here in Houston will have a preference, perhaps a strong preference for Young or Stroud.

Starting caliber QBs in the NFL are not commodities, each one is unique, which is exactly what a commodity is not and that's why there's a very good chance that our GM-HC combo here in Houston will have a preference, perhaps a strong preference for Young or Stroud.

Caserio’s seat is getting warm. He is going to go for the safe bet of Young if he gets the chance. I think Stroud is the better option and I would take him over Young.

If Caserio has a long leash he will take Anthony Richardson.

Either way all these QBs may only have a 5 year shelf life. Resigning QBs is very expensive. We know what Strouds agent is like and may demand to go to a team that is desperate and pay more like the Browns did vs what ATL and NO was offering at that time. Young may be too small to last past 5 years. And Richardson may never develop.

It’s all a roll of the dice at this point. Caserio’s leash length may determine it.

What was the purpose of Liipfert blurting this stuff about Young and Stroud? Message to Carolina, take who you want we're good with either one? Loose Liips sink ships. "Mum" is the word during draft season.
Could be…. I know there were whispers of Carolina wanting to trade back potentially to scare Houston into giving up draft capital. Who really knows?

The benefit of the SF system is that it’s easier on QBs, so either Bryce or CJ could be the pick.

Could be…. I know there were whispers of Carolina wanting to trade back potentially to scare Houston into giving up draft capital. Who really knows?

The benefit of the SF system is that it’s easier on QBs, so either Bryce or CJ could be the pick.

So my guy still has a shot?

:coffee:

Back