Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

What are you going to do with Young's blood chemistry? Clone him? LOL! This is getting nuts.

I'm writing a new screenplay. Bryce Young: The Replicant.

Evil Scientist: I can make you better Bryce. With my special DNA coding, you will become 6'10" 294 lbs. No one will deny you as the #1 overall pick!

Bryce: But I like the way I am. I fit into all of the best designer clothing.

Evil Scientist: No, Bryce. You must become bigger. Stronger. For the Draftniks.

Bryce: I don't know if I can keep the weight on. I like skinless boiled chicken. And kale.

Evil Scientist: You will eat 15 lbs of red meat a day and like it!!!
:corrosion: :stirpot:

What are you going to do with Young's blood chemistry? Clone him? LOL! This is getting nuts.

I'm writing a new screenplay. Bryce Young: The Replicant.

Evil Scientist: I can make you better Bryce. With my special DNA coding, you will become 6'10" 294 lbs. No one will deny you as the #1 overall pick!

Bryce: But I like the way I am. I fit into all of the best designer clothing.

Evil Scientist: No, Bryce. You must become bigger. Stronger. For the Draftniks.

Bryce: I don't know if I can keep the weight on. I like skinless boiled chicken. And kale.

Evil Scientist: You will eat 15 lbs of red meat a day and like it!!!
I dunno about you Lucky but my annual physical includes lab work on my blood which is something than any basic medical
exam includes and I'd be especially interested in the blood chemistry of somebody with such variance in their weight
if they are going to be as highly a compensated employee an as a Bryce Young would be.

I'd be especially interested in the blood chemistry of somebody with such variance in their weight
if they are going to be as highly a compensated employee an as a Bryce Young would be.
Well, I just don't think that's something fans will be able to ascertain. How about Young drawing blood against Ole Miss with a TD pass to John Metchie?

you mean the dumbasses?
Bryce Young's proday was last Thursday.
I believe he delayed his to the second one to get back to peak throwing weight - where he was in Alabama.
For the record, I have already stated he threw the ball well and there doesn't appear to be any lingering problems with his throwing arm.
I doubt I was the only one who needed confirmation of that as evidenced by the number of professionals in attendance to witness first hand.

Reactions: JB
My thoughts on QB controversy is more about who is the better cultural fit, not the tallest, most athletically gifted.

Bryce Young's Pro Day is today. What happened to all of the "he's delaying his pro-day" because his shoulder is so bad he can't throw people.
Yeah but only because he can't throw people his own size and i think that is one of the rules owners discussing: All QBs must be able to throw a person [male or female] at least 5'10 1/8" and 185 pounds (after urinating).

Bryce Young's proday was last Thursday.
I believe he delayed his to the second one to get back to peak throwing weight - where he was in Alabama.
For the record, I have already stated he threw the ball well and there doesn't appear to be any lingering problems with his throwing arm.
I doubt I was the only one who needed confirmation of that as evidenced by the number of professionals in attendance to witness first hand.
The only thing I wanted to see was that he maintained his combine weight. He didn't weigh in, so I will assume he did not maintain that weight.

It's not important to many of the experts here, but it's important to me. If I bring him in for a visit I would include a physical. If he refuses he's off my board. I know he's not obligated to weigh in for me. When my guy calls his guy to schedule the visit & his guy says "there will be no weighing in" I'm going to end the call right there.

I'm building the Houston Texans, not the Bryce Young team.

• […] It was interesting hearing Stroud and Jaxon Smith-Njigba talk about the Texans. They seemed excited about the prospect of joining the Texans but admitted they had only had a few talks with the Texans. Perhaps they’ll get to know them better at their top-30 visits.

What seems to be the most likely scenario?

Kubena:
There is a growing sense of parity about both quarterbacks and their proficiency as passers. They both finished their college careers with strong completion percentages, and Stroud (69.3 percent) and Young (65.8 percent) both showcased skillful footwork and timing both in the pocket and on the run in their pro days.

If the Panthers feel confident about both players and still hold the No. 1 overall pick when the NFL draft begins, it’d be reasonable for them to choose the quarterback with the prototype build who doesn’t raise questions about his durability. The Panthers’ new staff is stocked with former quarterbacks and former quarterback-oriented head coaches.

Coach Frank Reich worked with Andrew Luck (6-4, 240 pound) as head coach with the Colts and knows from Luck’s sudden retirement about the consequences of injuries. Caldwell coached Peyton Manning (6-5, 230) and Matthew Stafford (6-3, 220) as head coach of the Colts and Lions. Reich (6-4, 210) and McCown (6-4, 218) both reaped the benefits of gifted frames as former NFL quarterbacks themselves. Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer was the director of college scouting for the Seahawks when they spent a third-round pick on Russell Wilson (5-11, 215) in the 2012 draft. Will they identify enough qualities within Young to make up the difference?

Alexander: Right now, most people around the league think the Panthers will pick Stroud.

Based on people I’ve talked to, I don’t think the Panthers have decided just yet. They are legitimately going through the process and trying to figure it out, and Young is someone they think highly of.

But Stroud seems to fit Reich’s history in his search for quarterbacks. Each of the quarterbacks Reich has worked with in the past as a head coach or offensive coordinator were all taller quarterbacks. Carson Wentz (6-5), Nick Foles (6-6), Andrew Luck (6-4), Jacoby Brissett (6-4), Phillip Rivers (6-5), Matt Ryan (6-4), were all 6-4 or taller.

Stroud is 6-3. Young is 5-10.

Reich tried to downplay it in a press conference recently, but I think there’s some legitimacy there.

Stroud and Young are not that far off, talent-wise. As of now, it seems Stroud is going to Carolina. That would leave Young with the Texans.

Young is so far advanced as a quarterback coming out of college. He can throw with anticipation. He’s a playmaker. He can do things many other can’t do.

He’s just 5-10.

Strengths and weaknesses?

Kubena:
Young maintains excellent footwork and timing in all snap placements and dropback positionings, a sign that offers promise Young can throw comfortably within various pro style schemes. He didn’t take many snaps under center while playing at Alabama under offensive coordinator and former Texans head coach Bill O’Brien, but Young mixed several under-center snaps into a prepared script of 50 throws. It’s a necessary skill.

The Texans hired former 49ers passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik as their offensive coordinator, and 39 percent of San Francisco’s offensive plays last season originated from under center, which ranked ninth-most in the NFL according to The 33rd Team.

The majority of Young’s passes were within 15 yards. He was 30-of-31 on such passes with one dropped pass on a running back swing pass. Young has proficient precision on short-yardage throws, and he was also 11-of-11 passing on throws of 20 yards. Young maintains accuracy at that range whether he’s zipping or lobbing passes — a necessary arsenal for mid-range routes in which quarterbacks need to either gun a throw between defenders or arc another over defenders to receivers along the sideline.

Young’s deep throws are not effortless. His form noticeably changes in summoning the strength to throw 45 yards or more downfield. He completed 1-of-6 such attempts on Thursday. Two were dropped. Two were overthrown. One got caught in the net hanging from the ceiling. The throwing session did little to quell any questions stemming from his struggles to throw deep at Alabama.

Young was 18-of-45 passing on throws of 20-plus yards in 2022, according to SECStatCat.com, a significant dip in accuracy from Mac Jones’ completion percentage on such passes (29-of-50) in 2020.

Alexander: First, I don’t want to put too much stock into what Stroud did at his pro day. Pro days are designed for players to look their best. There’s no pressure facing the quarterback, and the pads aren’t on. Malik Willis and Zach Wilson looked great at their pro days and we see how they’ve played.

Having said that, Stroud looked great. He’s every bit as accurate as advertised. His passes were on the money. He can throw on the run. Stroud did have a few overthrows and an underthrow.

But again, you try not to take too much from a pro day.

What really matters is what we saw on film in the college football playoff game against Georgia, which had the best defense in the nation. There, he showcased his athleticism. He escaped tacklers and still made throws downfield.

There’s no question Stroud has played with some of the best receivers in the country during his two years: Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Marvin Harrison Jr. His receivers are almost always open. He also had a great offensive line.

So the question is, can he do that in an NFL, when the talent surrounding him might not be as elite, where he’ll have to carry the team.

That’s a big if.

But if you surround him with players, he can obviously be special. If he’s the Texans’ guy, they need to continue to build around him.

Second half of article:

Fit with Texans?

Kubena:
Even if Bryce Young does not improve as a deep passer, his proficiency on short-to-midrange throws makes him a strong fit for the West Coast scheme Slowik is expected to run.

Indeed, the original West Coast offense invented by Hall of Fame 49ers coach Bill Walsh was founded on a philosophy that short, crossing patterns will stretch out defenses and create vulnerabilities for other methods of attack.

Such a system requires a quarterback with masterful timing and considerable short-to-midrange accuracy. Drew Brees, who, like Young, was also disparaged for his small frame, thrived in Sean Payton’s West Coast offense with the Saints. Brees, a 13-time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl XLIV MVP who retired at age 41, still managed to lead the NFL in completion percentage in three of his four final seasons.

It’s possible Slowik won’t require Young to attempt all that many passes of 20-plus yards. Only 9.1 percent of Jimmy Garoppolo’s passes last season were attempts of 20-plus yards, which ranked 31st out of 36 quarterbacks who qualified for the statistic.

A proven running back duo of Dameon Pierce and Devin Singletary can demand considerable attention in the box, and if the Texans pick another premier pass-catcher early in the draft to join Robert Woods, John Metchie III, Nico Collins and newly signed tight end Dalton Schultz, Young can have plenty of short-to-midrange targets to choose from.

Alexander: Kyle Shanahan’s offense in San Francisco with Slowik as the passing game coordinator focused on establishing the run, and a lot of play action pass to catch defenses off guard. The quarterback is going to have to be accurate with the football and will have to take whatever the defense gives them.

Stroud is considered the most accurate quarterback in this draft. So that shouldn’t be a problem in Slowik’s offense in Houston.

However, here’s the issue the Texans are having to consider: Outside of Dameon Pierce, they don’t have the best skill position players. Their offensive line is better than it was last year, with the addition of Shaq Mason, but center and left guard are still concerns.

So the quarterback is going to have to do more with less than what the 49ers had. The 49ers had the best skill position players in the league.

The Texans are going to need the most pro-ready quarterback. While I believe C.J. Stroud is pro-ready, I think Bryce Young is a little more advanced. He’s great with anticipation. He throws his receivers open.

He makes things happen out of nothing. One NFL offensive coordinator described it like this: “C.J. offers the most physically. Bryce can complete passes when plays break down. Bryce Young is a problem-solver.”

The Texans may need a quarterback who can get them out of holes and solve their problems next season. But asking a player that may not be as ready to win you games before you’re ready can hurt a quarterback’s development long term.

How concerned are you with Bryce Young’s size?

Kubena:
All kinds of quarterbacks get injured. Small ones. Big ones. The Texans can look into their own history. Matt Schaub (6-6, 245) missed five games each in his first two seasons in Houston with various injuries, then suffered a season-ending Lisfranc injury in 2011. Backup Matt Leinart (6-5, 225) suffered a broken collarbone in the game immediately afterward.

DeMeco Ryans has his own memories from his final season last year as defensive coordinator with the 49ers. Trey Lance (6-4, 224) suffered a season-ending ankle injury, backup Jimmy Garoppolo (6-2, 225) was later knocked out with a broken foot, then third-string quarterback Brock Purdy (6-1, 220) tore his elbow in the NFC championship game against the Eagles.

I find myself agreeing with Alabama coach Nick Saban, who said Thursday at Bryce Young’s workout, “I don’t think it’s an issue.”

Alexander: I am concerned enough that if it was between C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young, I’d take Stroud No. 1.

I’m not concerned enough that I’d pass on Young all together if I’m the Texans and he’s there at No. 2. He’s just too talented.

But if the Texans do end up taking him, it’s going to be paramount that they make sure they have one of the better offensive lines in the league. His size is a concern, absolutely. He’s 5-10, 204 pounds. He’ll be the smallest quarterback drafted in the top 10 since Kyler Murray. And Murray is a bigger guy.

Can he take hits, again and again and still make a play next trip down. Or will that bother him? Can he be durable if the Texans don’t protect him. I don’t know. I think that’s the biggest question.

But you still must take him if he’s on the board. He’s still too good.

Good read. Sure hope Youngs size + Stroud's deep ball swings Carolina's pick to Stroud. Young's short to intermediate passing + his command of the field is the perfect fit for Slowik's wco.
I don’t know that Slowick has a “WCO” yet. From what I’m hearing he’s going to make it for the team they put together. So whichever QB they pick, WRs they end up with, etc… they’ll be “perfect” for “Slowick’s WCO”

The only thing I wanted to see was that he maintained his combine weight. He didn't weigh in, so I will assume he did not maintain that weight.

It's not important to many of the experts here, but it's important to me. If I bring him in for a visit I would include a physical. If he refuses he's off my board. I know he's not obligated to weigh in for me. When my guy calls his guy to schedule the visit & his guy says "there will be no weighing in" I'm going to end the call right there.

I'm building the Houston Texans, not the Bryce Young team.

you wouldn’t get much of a confirmation that he could maintain his weight from his pro day either tho. Chances are when he gets on an NFL S&T program he's gonna put on weight..so i think all this regarding this kid is muchadoo about nothing. Guys get hurt in the NFL of all sizes. Both of this year's starting qbs in the SB were injured coming into it. Hell Mahomes has been injured alot in his career period having been knocked out of 1 playoff game with a concussion & got his ankle rolled up on in the playoffs this year and bascially was sat down....Noone's talking about his size & whether or not he can really handle the rigors of the NFL...They really only use this as a talking point with the smaller guys which is a garbage narrative. A guy's toughness is independent of his size.

you wouldn’t get much of a confirmation that he could maintain his weight from his pro day either tho. Chances are when he gets on an NFL S&T program he's gonna put on weight..so i think all this regarding this kid is muchadoo about nothing. Guys get hurt in the NFL of all sizes. Both of this year's starting qbs in the SB were injured coming into it. Hell Mahomes has been injured alot in his career period having been knocked out of 1 playoff game with a concussion & got his ankle rolled up on in the playoffs this year and bascially was sat down....Noone's talking about his size & whether or not he can really handle the rigors of the NFL...They really only use this as a talking point with the smaller guys which is a garbage narrative. A guy's toughness is independent of his size.

All valid points and it took me a bit but I'm fine with Young now. Build a strong, top of the line OL, give him WR weapons, we have a great TE and with the right offense I think he succeeds. He's just got it and if he doesn't then he's got alot of peeps fooled. I'm no scout but after watching more of his YT tape the guy makes far more throws then you'd expect especially when things break down around him and I never saw his size be an issue. He's so cerebal, he knows where he's guys are (or should be) and he makes the throws. To the article upstream "he throws his guys open" is true. If he's there I think they have to take him, this coming from someone that loves WA. (the safe pick)

Second half of article:
Thing is all WCOs are different. Andy Reid/Holmgren had smaller faster wrs vs Shanny had bigger, more physical wrs. Lil Shanny has a guy like Debo who is nothing like we've seen in the wco and the recently traded for C-Mac. Stroud or Young can function well in WCO or a version of it. Stroud would be more in the Mahomes,Favre,Rodgers, qb who can push the ball down the field whereas Young would be more of the shorter pass game type wco like Jimmy G, Gannon, Steve Young type. He's a talented guy.

Thing is all WCOs are different. Andy Reid/Holmgren had smaller faster wrs vs Shanny had bigger, more physical wrs. Lil Shanny has a guy like Debo who is nothing like we've seen in the wco and the recently traded for C-Mac. Stroud or Young can function well in WCO or a version of it. Stroud would be more in the Mahomes,Favre,Rodgers, qb who can push the ball down the field whereas Young would be more of the shorter pass game type wco like Jimmy G, Gannon, Steve Young type. He's a talented guy.

out of curiosity, if you are the Texans and you had your choice of both guys, who do you draft and why?

Great post. Totally agree.

out of curiosity, if you are the Texans and you had your choice of both guys, who do you draft and why?
Probably Stroud because he can challenge more of the field. There are some throws Young can't make effectively, but that doesn't mean he can't be a highly effective qb in the mold of Brees.When you have a qb who can throw a 15 yd out route from the pocket, it opens everything up downfield. I mean every qb can throw go routes or rail throws, but that 15 yd comeback out or that flag route takes a different type of qb. There is a reason Lil Shanny traded up for Lance and Reid traded up for Mahomes. Someone posted a stat about Stroud throwing 23 of 30 15 yd out routes which rank almost the highest of any qb in the last 20 yrs or so. That route alone is basically unguardable alone.

Probably Stroud because he can challenge more of the field. There are some throws Young can't make effectively, but that doesn't mean he can't be a highly effective qb in the mold of Brees.When you have a qb who can throw a 15 yd out route from the pocket, it opens everything up downfield. I mean every qb can throw go routes or rail throws, but that 15 yd comeback out or that flag route takes a different type of qb. There is a reason Lil Shanny traded up for Lance and Reid traded up for Mahomes. Someone posted a stat about Stroud throwing 23 of 30 15 yd out routes which rank almost the highest of any qb in the last 20 yrs or so. That route alone is basically unguardable alone.

does Strouds agent play any role if you are the Texans? I know SB made a big deal of the agent, just wondering if you have any reservations that would tip the scale. All in all it sounds like you have it close, but Stroud by a nose.

does Strouds agent play any role if you are the Texans? I know SB made a big deal of the agent, just wondering if you have any reservations that would tip the scale. All in all it sounds like you have it close, but Stroud by a nose.
Nah, I don't. The Texans can't play that game because that agency has alot of prospects and current players. It's the same thing I posted about prospects at school with a stigma. You have to evaluate everyone differently.

If you could find that stat, that would be awesome

Nah, I don't. The Texans can't play that game because that agency has alot of prospects and current players. It's the same thing I posted about prospects at school with a stigma. You have to evaluate everyone differently.
I don't think they have a problem with the agency, just the agent.

I don't think they have a problem with the agency, just the agent.
Caserio has stated for the record that he does not have an issue working with Stroud's agent, David Mulugheta. From an article in Houston Press by Sean Pendergast:

However, Texans GM Nick Caserio said in an interview on my radio show that he has no problem working with Mulugheta. Caserio prides himself on keeping good relations with the agent community, including Mulugheta.

Transcribing Caserio's comments from the audio:

Caserio: Philosophically, my belief has always been to just try to maintain a consistent relationship with agents and representatives. Understanding that there's going to be players each year and you really don't allow one situation to affect future decisions. It's not really a good way to do business.

So, I have a lot of respect for David. David's got a lot of good players, has had a lot of good players for a number of years. So, you really can't make decisions based on off of that. Like, you really have to look at the player, evaluate the player. Are you comfortable, when the player comes into the building? And at some point you're going to have a dialogue with the representative. So the draft is a little bit different because when you draft a player, especially in the 1st round, contracts are pretty much slot, you kinda know what that is. But as you move forward to free agency...my philosophy has always been never let one situation impact future situations. I think that's just the right way to do business. So, that's certainly not going to dissuade us, you know, looking at a player.

Honestly, it's not fair to that player, to eliminate that player based on what some other factor might be perceived. Again, I've had dialogue with David. We had dialogue last year in free agency about some different players. He's had multiple players. We've asked him about a corner, various players we were actually talking about during the Deshaun trade negotiations. So, conversations are always fluid. So, I've always has a lot of respect for David and the job that he does and he has really good players.

So, our responsibility is to look at everything and not let any individual dissuade you from making a decision. So, I've never approached business that way, not going to approach business that way. People that know me know that's how I operate. So, I've tried to be consistent in that respect.

Last edited:
For the record "they" referred to the members here who take issue with Watson's agent.
It was more of a problem with the player than it was the agent. The agent was just doing what his player wanted. I don’t see Stroud in the same league as our former quarterback. :winky:

After spending the last two months talking to college football coaches and NFL sources, I put together my third annual first-round NFL mock draft based on those evaluations and the needs of each team.

The draft evaluation process is an inexact science, but what I strive to do with this project is provide unique insight into each of the players, as the analysis comes directly from the coaches who have scouted, game-planned for and played them. Those sources, granted anonymity to speak freely about the prospects, know exactly what they’re dealing with and what they’ve tried to do to them in real game situations — and how it all turned out.

1. Carolina Panthers (via CHI): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

It’s been well-documented that new head coach Frank Reich has an extensive history of playing with taller quarterbacks — Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and Carson Wentz among them. This point has come up repeatedly given Bryce Young’s lack of prototypical size — and that there are two very big quarterbacks this year in Anthony Richardson and Will Levis. Stroud has good size as well at 6 feet 3, 215 pounds — and he had no trouble carrying 220-plus in his college career. Reich did push back a bit on that size narrative this month when he noted that he had a very high grade on Russell Wilson in 2012.

Stroud is worthy of the top overall pick. He checks every relevant box. Buckeye coaches have been raving to NFL personnel about his intelligence, according to sources. He is extremely accurate; can make all the throws; has played (and excelled) in many big-game situations; is very football smart; and sees the field well (even if it’s “muddy”).

He also has better athleticism than most are giving him credit for — although he put on an impressive display in the College Football Playoff Peach Bowl semifinal against Georgia, going 23-of-34 for 348 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions. He also ran for 34 yards on a defense loaded with more NFL-caliber athletes than any other in the college game.

The Coaching Intel

“He’s so accurate and so calm. I wasn’t sure about the (Buckeyes’) previous guy’s ability to read coverage. But I know C.J. can. He has such a good ability to process, and his anticipation is so good. He runs better than you think. He’s the complete package.”

“He’s the most accurate quarterback I’ve ever played against. It’s like he couldn’t have handed the ball to his receivers any better, and they’re 30, 40 yards downfield. He’s got high-level NFL accuracy and NFL vision. I think he understands the game so well and gets it out in under three seconds. He has very high football IQ.”

“His accuracy downfield is really special. He’s bigger than you think and faster and harder to sack than people realize. I thought he’s better than Trevor Lawrence. He’s such a pure passer and can make all the throws. He does really unique stuff. Watch some of the stuff he did against Michigan. There are two plays in that game, one on a deep go-ball and another on a corner route, where the DB undercuts it. It’s to the wide side of the field, and he just drops it in over the outside shoulder. Then, I’m watching him against Georgia, against those guys, and he was dominant in that game. We did our best to disrupt the timing, and he still got us. We played more aggressively at the line of scrimmage and he made a bunch of big plays. On third-and-11s, in real rough spots, he was able to improvise when it wasn’t there. If we didn’t match a pattern or cover a guy just right, he took advantage every time.”

“I think he has a little different personality. He’s very level, which is good. Blank face. I think he’s got that elite mindset that is always neutral: not too high and not too low.”

“I think he’ll be really good in the pros. He’s very smart. They did a good job with him. He keeps his eyes downfield. I think he’s confident. He understands protections. He’s got poise. He’s been on the big stage. Georgia’s defense is as good a comparison to the NFL as you’ll get, and look what he did to them.”

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

The DeMeco Ryans Era kicks off with another decorated former Alabama star. Young should be a good fit in a Shanahan-style offense that should have a potent running attack that can lean into the play-action game with him moving out of the pocket. Young at 5 feet 10, 195 pounds does not have ideal size. He’s a hard comparison. There’s some Russell Wilson in his game, but Wilson is much thicker, built more like a running back. Young is fleet-footed but not quite as dynamic as Kyler Murray, though he’s still a pretty special talent.

He had a 79-to-12 TD-to-INT ratio playing in the toughest league in college football, winning the Heisman Trophy as a first-year starter. Against ranked opponents, it was 25-to-5. That’s still a strong ratio that also works in the face of the fact that his completion percentage dropped more than 10 percent in games against SEC opponents compared to nonconference games. As one coach noted, some schools might’ve had a lot less success with shorter, less athletic players than top-of-the-line SEC schools did when they tried to heat him up and get in his face. The latter is probably a much more realistic barometer of what Young will have to manage at the next level.

The Coaching Intel

“I am a big believer in Bryce. Been watching him forever. I was really impressed, especially with his intelligence and his decision-making. He’s emotionally mature and really accurate. We heard when Bill O’Brien got there, Bryce ended up teaching him the early stages of their offense. My only concern is that he’s little. At some point one of these gigantic interior guys is gonna land on him and you’ll be scared that he’s not gonna get up. His size scares me because against us, he really didn’t escape. We ran him down three or four times. We’ve got some good athletes, but those are the athletes that you’re trying to run away from at that level.”

“I don’t think people give him enough credit for his feet. He doesn’t look like he’s running real fast, but he is. He’s also so damn accurate on the move. I was really impressed with how well he understands where to go with the ball, if you gave him any tip or tell of what you were doing, pressure-wise. If you do, he’d kill you. In our game, there’s no way he knew it was coming; our safety wasn’t even off the hash. There was nothing to tip him off. Nothing that said throw it out there. We hit pretty hard eight or nine times. I thought he did a really good job of handling that. He slid protection really good. I Zero-ed (blitzed) him a bunch, thinking, f— it. Let’s hit this quarterback as many times as I can. But he did such a great job of seeing it at the snap, especially for being such a young guy in terms of snaps played.”

“If he’s got time, he’s gonna kill you. His arm is good in person but Hendon Hooker has a stronger arm. He’s at his best extending plays in the pocket, and he throws dimes. He also has a very good feel on touch and when to rifle it in there. We changed significantly (scheme-wise) before we played him. We ran Fire Zone and Cover 0 and really heated him up, and I didn’t think he saw it that well when there’re athletic 6-5 dudes running down your throat. I’m not sold on him. I’d take C.J. before him.”

“He shredded us. It was like that old Denny Green line, he was who we thought he was. He completes passes on really good coverage. Incredibly accurate. He never left the pocket. Was impressed by his ability to go through his reads and find receivers down the field.”

Daniel Jeremiah on Around the NFL Podcast: Bryce Young has the highest S2 Test score of the 2023 QB Class

Discussion for S2 Test in the video begins around 32:17.

For background, the S2 Test measures the QBs mental aspect of football, including processing quickness and efficiency, instinctive learning, ability to zone out distractions, decisiveness, tracking capacity, impulse control, and improvisation. For more info: https://www.s2cognition.com/football

Most of the data is not disclosed to the public as the players themselves own the info but there is some info that leaked and was released: - Brock Purdy had the highest in the 2022 QB class, scoring in the mid 90th percentile. Anything above the 80th percentile is considered elite. -Justin Fields scored extremely high in the 2021 class, with a similar score to Burrow who scored in the 97th percentile. - Mahomes, Brees and Josh Allen all scored somewhere in the 90th percentile.

bb269c05df293988891d93a1dc109f80896234cd.png
1. Bryce Young, Alabama
HT: 5-foot-10 | WT: 204 pounds
Projected range: Round 1

Young is a poised dual-threat thrower who plays the game with the same heartbeat no matter the magnitude of the situation. His sufficient arm strength is coupled with great accuracy to all parts of the field. Young is slippery in the pocket and can maneuver outside of structure to create throwing windows. A diverse throwing script at his pro day showcased all of the strong points in his game, as he threw the ball with plenty of velocity and displayed great touch in the deeper portions of the field.

At 5-10, his height will be talked about leading up to the draft. We've seen passers on the shorter side, such as Kyler Murray, get drafted early in recent years, though Young's frame makes for a unique evaluation. But he entered the season as my QB1, and that hasn't changed to this point. Young had 3,328 passing yards, 32 touchdown throws and 5 interceptions in 2022, and he finished his college career with a huge five-TD day against Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl.

'Potential team fit: Houston Texans. The inconsistency of Davis Mills places the Texans in the hunt for another quarterback. Houston holds the No. 2 overall pick and has plenty of draft capital, and new coach DeMeco Ryans could look to fill the QB1 spot immediately. Young would provide the team a young passer with loads of potential to build around.
021347f93f7a83f5319c63169b3a36f2ae29eb20.png
2. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 214 pounds
Projected range: Round 1
Stroud is a smooth distributor with a clean and fluid throwing motion, and his feet are routinely tied to his eyes. I love the way he dissects and attacks any type of coverage, as he always seems to have a plan. And Stroud isn't afraid to trust his targets in one-on-one situations.

He threw for 3,688 yards and 41 touchdown passes with six interceptions, and his 88.9 QBR was third in the nation. His best game came in the College Football Playoff, in which Stroud threw for 348 yards and four touchdowns against a dominant Georgia defense. Stroud is a true pocket passer who uses his running ability only when necessary, but scouts still want to see him outside of structure a bit more when plays don't operate as planned. He started to do so during the Buckeyes' stretch run.

Stroud looked smooth, poised and accurate while throwing at the combine -- three traits that also explain his career at Ohio State. "Everything is natural and in sync with him," texted one scout after watching Stroud's throwing session in Indy. "I think he's the best one of this year's bunch because of his [high] floor."

At his pro day, each of his throws was in rhythm, efficient and accurate. There isn't a more in-sync and on-time thrower in this draft class, as he exemplifies all of the correct mechanics and has a fluid throwing motion.

Potential team fit: Carolina Panthers. After hiring Frank Reich, the Panthers have created a nest of coaching experience with quarterback ties. They also have former NFL head coach Jim Caldwell and 16-year NFL veteran Josh McCown, who can both help develop a young quarterback. Stroud fits the mold of what the Panthers need and could provide the franchise with its first homegrown option under center since drafting Cam Newton in 2011.

CJ continues to slowly rise in my estimation. I have him just a shade behind Bryce, but it's damn close in my mind. It's the tangibles of CJ vs. the intangibles of Bryce for me. I give a bit more weight to intangibles than some folks so I have Bryce ahead but it's razor-thin and I'd be thrilled with either of these guys. Both will make this team leagues better. If I am Nick, I'm just sitting at 2 and taking the one that Carolina does not - that simple for me. Don't overthink it. Everyone seems to want to overthink it. Simple is usually best.

I've come to the conclusion that's it's six of one, and half a dozen of the other with BY and CJ S.
BY has the edge in intangibles, but CJ has the edge in size.
You don't have the first pick in the draft so you take whoever the Panthers don't.
Simple.
It's a crap shoot anyway.

I don't want either, but my money is on we'll end up with one of them. I don't like Young's size, and I don't like Stroud's agent.

All of which means nothing until they put on a NFL uniform and play.

Something to consider with CJ - last year Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson were highly fancied in the draft. This year it is JSN. And if Marvin Harrison Jr was in this draft, he likely would be the first WR off the board.
So, is it just that the Buckeyes lucked out with really good receivers, or is CJ making stars out of his receivers? 🤔

Something to consider with CJ - last year Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson were highly fancied in the draft. This year it is JSN. And if Marvin Harrison Jr was in this draft, he likely would be the first WR off the board.
So, is it just that the Buckeyes lucked out with really good receivers, or is CJ making stars out of his receivers? 🤔
More like OSU recruits really good WR's and then develops them

Considering just the way both Olave and Wilson looked as rookies for not so QB advantaged teams I'd think it's more along the lines of those guys are studs irrespective of who's behind center..

Considering just the way both Olave and Wilson looked as rookies for not so QB advantaged teams I'd think it's more along the lines of those guys are studs irrespective of who's behind center..
Yeah, and now JSN and Harrison Jr.
Could be just coincidence I suppose. :kitten:

Back