Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

Man 4 guys in the 90’s, has anyone even watched Jake or Jaren, I haven’t. Very interesting
Jake Haener summary:-
Jake Haener is a classic overachiever as a signal caller who lacks the prototypical size for the position standing at just 6-1, weighing in at 200lbs (with his pockets full of sand), and without possessing any other top-level athletic traits. Despite he's consistently managed to perform at a high level while at Fresno State and lead his team through some hard-fought wins. He possesses a decent right arm enabling him to make all but the most demanding NFL throws along with outstanding accuracy and ball placement on short to intermediate passes.

Haener is never going to be looked at as a long-term NFL starter, but still seems like an ideal backup - who'll not lose a game for you as a game manager. Expect Haener to be viewed as a late-round prospect in the 2023 NFL draft.
Comparison - Brian Hoyer

Jaren Hall

Jaren Hall is a dynamic quarterback who is a threat as both a runner and a passer for the Cougars. He's got a quality arm and is able to make pretty much every throw needed in the NFL, in addition, Hall has proved to be a quick-thinking smart QB with a high football IQ. The major downside with Hall is one he, unfortunately, can't do anything about - he's undersized without the frame to pack on much more weight and this has impacted his durability where he's had to deal with a steady flow of injuries.

Hall, if he can learn to play without putting himself in harm's way, has the chance to be a quality starting pro QB and as a result, will likely be worthy of a third-round selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Comparison - less athletic Russell Wilson

Last edited:
Article by McGinn with s2 scores and QB analysis

The "History" angle is hard to ignore - 4 out of 5 will bust. Ouch.
Bryce has the best chance to succeed on the Texans team as it stands.
Stroud is going to need a lot of help from coaching and quality of players around him.
Richardson could do well with a well designed book of run option plays. He would excel in a Baltimore uni.
Levis - would struggle here just like he did in Kentucky.
I have a feeling Case Keenum may be our QB for 2023 if we don't get BY.

Stroud:

A two-time Heisman Trophy finalist and Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, Stroud threw 85 touchdown passes over two seasons as Ohio State's starter. He’s the consensus No. 2 QB in this class, and a few scouts and coaches rank him ahead of Young.

“Best player. Played from the pocket. Good arm. Good athlete. Good size. Tough. I don’t see very many flaws,” an AFC executive said. “Who would you pick if you had the first overall pick? I’d probably pick him.”

Stroud looks the part at 6-3 and 214 pounds with big 10-inch hands. He completed 69.3 percent of his college passes for 8,123 yards and threw just 12 interceptions. And his last game as a Buckeye was a solid NFL audition: a 42-41 shootout loss to Georgia in the College Football Playoff semifinals in which Stroud was 23-of-34 passing for 348 yards and four touchdowns with an additional 34 rushing yards, showing off more ability to make plays with his legs than many scouts thought he had.

“Stroud’s very interesting to me because I think he’s still growing as a passer,” an NFC quarterbacks coach said. “He’s instinctive, accurate, a little bit more of a classic pocket passer mold, but has enough athleticism to get to do things for you there. The question everybody’s going to have with him: Was the Georgia game an anomaly? Or is that what he can be?”

Stroud had just 136 rushing yards and one TD in his college career. (Important note: Unlike in the NFL, the NCAA counts sacks against a quarterback's rushing total, so Stroud's yardage total is a little deceiving.) But he has shown an ability to make things happen outside the pocket, as noted by an NFC coordinator: "C.J. (throwing) on the move is ridiculous. It's just natural. It flicks."

Said an AFC GM: “This public knock about him (not) extending plays or using his athleticism or whatever -- from what I’ve seen, I don’t really buy that. I think you see it plenty on tape. I think he’s very well-rounded.”

Readiness remains a question mark on Stroud, who is still only 21 years old. Several scouts repeated the same early reports: Concerns about selfishness, his relationships with teammates and others around the building, overall leadership traits. One NFC scout who did extensive background work on Stroud explained it this way: “The first year he was at Ohio State competing for the job, he had to be about himself. Then, when he actually won the job, through the rest of ‘21 and on through the ‘22 offseason, he had to learn how to be a leader because he was always just driven to, I need to get this for myself, I gotta get this for my family, I gotta make sure I’m the starting quarterback. He was so driven that way, kind of with blinders on. Once he got the job, he had to go through a maturation of trying to figure out, OK, how do I lead a team? That part’s kind of been a work in progress. Smart kid, though. ... He’s like a sponge, tries to learn more every day, works on his craft. Always doing something in terms of throwing, organizing throwing, guys running routes, working on timing, touch, technique.”

Stroud has overcome challenges, most notably the incarceration of his father on a prison sentence of over 30 years when Stroud was 13 years old. He’s guarded about certain aspects of his life and that has been reflected in pre-draft meetings with teams. However, several GMs, scouts and coaches said Stroud grew on them the more time they spent with him. And Stroud is more highly regarded in terms of his passing ability and his football IQ than some other recent Ohio State QB prospects.

“The questions are going to be transitioning from that offense, because guys have had trouble (adjusting) from what they ask them to do (at Ohio State) to what we ask them to do in terms of setting protections and all that,” an NFC executive said. “He’s always had really good protection and he’s basically been driving a Cadillac -- he’s got [Jaxon Smith-Njigba], he’s got three first-round receivers, he’s got two first-round tackles. When he’s got space and time to throw, he carves people up and he’s ridiculous. When things have gotten tight -- when Michigan has gotten pressure on him, when he’s seen new stuff from Northwestern that they weren’t prepared for and the game gets tight -- he hasn’t played as free. And in fairness to [Stroud], he hasn’t been in that situation very often because they’ve been so good.”

The Buckeyes lost just four of Stroud’s 25 starts, though two of those defeats came against rival Michigan. Stroud took the S2 Cognition test multiple times and posted low scores, but coaches who have watched the tape and put Stroud on the board were impressed with his processing ability. He has displayed toughness, starting all 12 games in 2021 despite separating the AC joint in his right (throwing) shoulder in the season opener. And as pure passers go, Stroud is one of the best in this class.

“You saw in the Georgia game he’s probably more athletic than people gave him credit for,” another NFC coordinator said. “Good arm talent. I think he’s good mechanically. And demeanor-wise, he’s a lot more likeable than I thought he was going to be. You watch his game-day demeanor -- he seems real standoffish, no personality. And he was like the exact opposite in person. Cool as hell, great communication skills, good recall. He can process. Ball kind of comes easy to him.”

Bryce:
PROJECTED: Round 1

At this point, it’ll be a major surprise within the league if the Carolina Panthers draft someone other than Young at No. 1 overall on April 27, his diminutive stature notwithstanding.

“The guy who can just play is Bryce Young,” an AFC GM said. “Is he going to be 185 pounds? He’s such a good processor and thinker and accurate, it probably works. They’re taking him. Just write it in. I would bet my house.”

Said an NFC executive: “I’d be shocked if Bryce didn’t go first. If I was Carolina and I wanted to win right now, that’s the guy I would take. I think he’s the most ready to do it. He’s a phenomenal kid. He’s unbelievably intelligent. (Former Alabama OC) Bill O’Brien holds him in really high regard, and it matches up when you meet with him.”

A two-year starter and team captain who won the Heisman Trophy and Maxwell Award as a true sophomore in 2021, Young brings everything to the table that teams look for in terms of makeup and skill set. He’s just smaller than most NFL QBs, measuring in at 5-foot-10 1/8 and a beefed-up 204 pounds at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine.

“Bryce is super talented. Good arm talent. Probably of all of them, seems to be the most groomed to play quarterback,” an NFC coordinator said. “He’s a super smart dude -- almost feels like talking to a coach at times. Bryce has obviously got the size issues that can become really real when it comes to the guys that’s going to be in front of you, being able to withstand contact and having to manufacture ways to change your arm angle, get a window. But when I watch his tape, if you didn’t tell me how tall he was, I wouldn’t know, because it never showed up.”

Scouts who went through Alabama last fall say Young was playing in the mid-180s, and he has a naturally smaller frame.

“If Bryce was bigger -- and I don’t necessarily mean taller, just if he wasn’t such a frail body -- it’d be, blowing away, him as the No. 1 pick,” another NFC coordinator said. “He’s a natural thrower. Accuracy’s easy for him. That’s the difference between him and the rest.”

Said an NFC scout: “Bryce is just the most natural processor, mover. I hate saying it, but that Steph Curry comparison is actually pretty good, because he’s so nifty and quick and smart and gets the ball out and is accurate. I don’t think the height affects his play at all. He has natural anticipation and field vision and somehow is able to see things a lot smoother than Russell (Wilson) even. Then it’s just kind of a risk, durability-wise. But you’ve seen him get hit, you’ve seen him get up. And he’s so instinctive -- how many times is he going to get a free rusher from the back side that he doesn’t see? He understands how to evade and get down and not get completely smoked.”

In 36 college games (27 starts), Young completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 8,356 yards and 80 touchdowns with just 12 interceptions. After playing as a reserve behind eventual first-round pick Mac Jones on the Crimson Tide team that won the national championship in the 2020 season, Young missed just one game over two seasons as the starter, with an AC joint injury to his right (throwing) shoulder last October that lingered for the rest of the season. He wrapped his collegiate career by opting to play in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Eve and was named MVP in a win over Kansas State.

Said an AFC GM: “I think Young is the most polished passer (in the 2023 class). I would be concerned about his frame, less from the perspective of 'Is he going to be able to perform?' and more from the perspective of 'Is he going to be able to hold up year after year?' We saw it with Kyler (Murray). We saw it a little bit with Baker (Mayfield). And [Young’s] not necessarily the freak athlete to avoid all sorts of contact. That wouldn’t prevent me from taking him high; I think he’s going to be a really good passer and a really good quarterback. I just think there might be some type of planning where you have to invest a little bit more in that No. 2 quarterback spot in the event [Young's] frame doesn’t allow him to be this 17-game starter for 10 years in a row.”

Despite the concerns over his stature, his hand size (9 3/4 inches) is solid for a smaller QB. One NFC quarterbacks coach praised Young's accuracy: "You haven't seen that coming out of the draft in a long time." Young also scored off the charts on the S2 Cognition test some teams use to measure players’ ability to process information.

“He’s got unbelievable instincts and awareness in the passing game,” another NFC QBs coach said. “If you threw out the height on this kid, I don’t think it’d even be a debate about who’s going No. 1. He’s just got such an unbelievable feel for the game when you watch him. You can see what he can do for your team in terms of being able to distribute the ball. His processing shows up on tape.”

Said an AFC scout: “It was Bill O’Brien’s offense. [Young’s] like second behind (Tom) Brady in terms of football intelligence. He could handle everything at the line of scrimmage probably like an NFL quarterback. Super poised. He’s accurate. He’s got a good arm -- not a great arm, but it’s still good at all the levels. Super poised, too. You just don’t see him rattled. They didn’t lose that Tennessee game because of him. You’ve just got to worry about his size. He’s tough. He’s taken some big-time shots from some big dudes; he’s hopped up. It’s just, how many of those are you going to take?”

Coaches can manage that in part by the style of offense they build around Young.

“If you’re going for best combination of route anticipation/accuracy, you’re going Bryce Young -- but then also knowing you’re not going to do a lot of read-option/QB runs with him and you’re going to be willing to manipulate the pocket,” a second NFC executive said. “I always put accuracy and anticipation ahead of arm strength, [and Young’s] got the best combination of the two in the last several drafts. You’re just getting it in a 5-10 frame. He’s not Kyler, where he’s super twitched up and elusive. He’s an outlier, where he’s going to take shots because he’s not an elusive runner. So that off-schedule stuff -- he’s going to take contact. What does that look like over a 17-game season?”

Everyone who has interviewed Young during the pre-draft process has come away impressed, which makes sense: He has been groomed his entire life for this moment. And he’s still only 21 years old.

“He could be an offensive coordinator right now," said a third NFC executive. "He’s that calm, that mature, that special.“

Just for perspective:-
(Stats are from ESPN for '21 and '22)
Stroud - TDs 85 - ints 12
Young - TDs 79 - ints 12
Levis - TDs 43 - ints 23
ARich - TDs 23 - ints 14
Hook - TDs 58 - ints 5
I post this for those who say Stroud was "terrible" under pressure - he still threw a lot of TDs and his ints were very respectable - for one so terrible under pressure...
Stats and game tape don't lie.
Beware of lying season - don't overthink it.

More on Stroud:-
"But he has shown an ability to make things happen outside the pocket, as noted by an NFC coordinator: "C.J. (throwing) on the move is ridiculous. It's just natural. It flicks."

Said an AFC GM: “This public knock about him (not) extending plays or using his athleticism or whatever -- from what I’ve seen, I don’t really buy that. I think you see it plenty on tape. I think he’s very well-rounded.”

One more thing about Stroud - he is only 21.

Last edited:
Stroud:

Bryce:

Those scouts that are saying Stroud is selfish and questionable leadership traits must be from the Colts and Raiders.

Leaked S2 Cognitive Test Scores Find Twitter

Long-time NFL writer Bob McGinn wrote in his story on the S2 Cognitive Test and the 2023 NFL Draft crop of QBs that multiple sources told him that Bryce Young scored in the 98th percentile while C.J. Stroud scored in the 18th percentile.

“Stroud scored 18,” an executive said. “That is like red alert, red alert, you can’t take a guy like that. That is why I have Stroud as a bust. That, in conjunction with the fact, name one Ohio State quarterback that’s ever done it in the league.”

It will be interesting to see just how much stock the test holds in the eyes of NFL decision-makers when push comes to shove on April 27.

Link

Wow! I was not expecting that low of a score.

Leaked S2 Cognitive Test Scores Find Twitter

Long-time NFL writer Bob McGinn wrote in his story on the S2 Cognitive Test and the 2023 NFL Draft crop of QBs that multiple sources told him that Bryce Young scored in the 98th percentile while C.J. Stroud scored in the 18th percentile.

“Stroud scored 18,” an executive said. “That is like red alert, red alert, you can’t take a guy like that. That is why I have Stroud as a bust. That, in conjunction with the fact, name one Ohio State quarterback that’s ever done it in the league.”

It will be interesting to see just how much stock the test holds in the eyes of NFL decision-makers when push comes to shove on April 27.

Link

Wow! I was not expecting that low of a score.

S2 founder says leaked scores are fake.

if Burrow had beaten out Haskins and entered the draft as a Buckeye, would he be less than he currently is?

Watch the video instead of reading what the twitter said. He never said leaks are fake. He said reports of highest ever and lowest ever were not true.
Of course I watched the video. Go back and rewatch the video. He's giving overall context to the question he was asked.

Did someone leak that?
All of the S2 scores are leaked. They are only available to those that subscribe to the service. Even the S2 founder said he doesn't know how they are leaked. While I believe the S2 scores are a good indicator for QB evaluation, I do not believe the leaked scores results.
If I were a team that was high on a particular prospect, I would leak that they performed poorly on the S2.
By the way, I read somewhere that the Texans don't subscribe to S2.
So take it all with a grain of salt!

All of the S2 scores are leaked. They are only available to those that subscribe to the service. Even the S2 founder said he doesn't know how they are leaked. While I believe the S2 scores are a good indicator for QB evaluation, I do not believe the leaked scores results.
If I were a team that was high on a particular prospect, I would leak that they performed poorly on the S2.

Yea I read that also, that how the Texans have their own evaluation process. But I really don’t believe they don’t get the S2 results. It may not be purchased with a official Texans check. But somebody had to get it, head scout or someone similar. I do wonder how much they are trying to charge the nfl for this service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was making a tongue in cheek remark. 😉

Yea I read that also, that how the Texans have their own evaluation process. But I really don’t believe they don’t get the S2 results. It may not be purchased with a official Texans check. But somebody had to get it, head scout or someone similar. I do wonder how much they are trying to charge the nfl for this service.

According to Lance Zuerlein, the Texans don't subscribe to S2;
(1) Here’s how cutting-edge cognitive tests are influencing Texans, NFL draft - YouTube

I was trying to figure out the cost and found this interesting quote. Also I can’t find how much they charge.
b8336a604a1d60a91390411834054037.jpg

Easy way to clean this up is for DM to release Stroud's score.

Not gonna happen, because DM doesn't want people to know the truth.

Easy way to clean this up is for DM to release Stroud's score.

Not gonna happen, because DM doesn't want people to know the truth.
Saw something somewhere that said the company that does those S2's only sells them to 2 teams per division to create sales. (Competitive edge).
I also saw that Texans have their own (comprehensive) version and that Texans don't ascribe to the S2 for that reason.
Hopefully they did their own on Stroud.

Has Stroud’s stock really taken a hit?

“I’ll be honest, I had Stroud ahead of (Bryce) Young,” said one veteran NFL QB coach whose team isn’t in the market to take a quarterback high in this draft. “But then I dug into some other things and put Young ahead of him.”

The coach said Stroud checked all the boxes he likes to see from a first-round QB: “He’s got mobility and size; (he) can make all the throws and he throws with timing (and) anticipation.” All of those things shined in his film.

The coach dismissed some of the skepticism of people who ding Stroud because the program he’s come out of at Ohio State, despite all of its success, hasn’t produced a top-level NFL quarterback in generations. Perhaps Justin Fields will become that, but it’s much too soon to tell.

“I think people have some concerns over what those guys from that school have done the past few years,” he explained. “But I don’t think you can do that to the player. I don’t think that’s fair.”

Stroud’s stock, though — at least as reflected in media circles — has taken a hit as word has surfaced over his reportedly low score in the S2 Cognition Test. S2 researchers last year studied the scores of 117 quarterbacks who had taken the test through the 2022 draft and charted the data. According to the company, the S2 Eval for quarterbacks examines nine different cognitive skills: Perception Speed, Search Efficiency, Tracking Capacity, Visual Learning, Instinctive Learning, Decision Complexity, Distraction Control, Impulse Control, and Improvisation.

That veteran coach said he’s become a believer in the S2, but added that, in his view, there are four categories that really matter, and the overall score doesn’t mean anything.

“To me, that’s what flipped me (to put Young ahead of Stroud). When I saw that S2, it was brutal,” he told The Athletic. “That’s scary. Now listen, if we were in that position, I’d get him to re-take that test. Sometimes that happens. Guy gets a false read on a test, but I do believe in S2 and … well, if I believe in it and you’ve got plenty of evidence from looking at the scores and the players that you’ve coached, you can’t discount it or deny it.”

A second NFL QB coach, a younger one whose team also isn’t likely to take a QB high this year, acknowledged that he’s “been staring at that (Stroud S2) for a while. But I wouldn’t say there’s a direct correlation because if there was everybody would be picking off that.”

Is this just the latest round of ‘NFL Draft Dinging’?

QB coach 2 said he was really impressed with Stroud from meeting with him and dismissed the blowback that suddenly has come Stroud’s way.

“It’s every f—— year,” he said. “Heck, it was (Will) Levis a month ago, and now it’s Stroud. I don’t care. I had a great interview with him. On the board and talking to him, he did a great job. He was aware of the stigma about past Ohio State quarterbacks. I was like, ‘Dude, you just threw 41 touchdowns. You’re good. You don’t have to sell me. I just want to get to know you as a dude.’

“The only reservation that I would have that would keep me up is C.J.’s receiving corps (at Ohio State) that’s gonna be the best he ever has for the rest of his life. Garrett Wilson, (Chris) Olave, (Marvin) Harrison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba. You’re lucky to have one guy like that. Best case two. He had four or five like that! Yeah, his game tape is NFL concepts and big boy throws but well, s—, I would have conviction too ripping this ball if Marvin Harrison Jr. is out there. This could be the best version of him as well. I think if Aidan O’Connell from Purdue was at Ohio State, I think he would’ve thrown for 40 touchdowns, to be honest.”

A third NFL quarterback coach, another younger one and whose team could be in the market to take a QB in the first round, echoed something similar. “I feel like every year now they pick one guy to drag through the mud at the end, and now it’s C.J. Where it this coming from? … When you meet him, he’s very nice, very humble. A lot of stuff analytically that has come out is not good, but I think we’re still early in this S2 stuff. Is there really enough data? The total score is not important. A good overall score doesn’t mean they scored high in what’s important.”

QB coach 3 cited two QBs drafted in the top five in the last decade that have had some success but disappointing careers to this point plagued largely by poor decision-making and lots of turnovers that “scored terribly.” Joe Burrow did great on S2 and is a franchise quarterback. Mac Jones did very well also, but the jury’s still out on his NFL prospects. Teddy Bridgewater is another one who scored really well on S2, the coach said. “He’s not physically great, but (the cognition test) probably shows why he’s a great backup.”

QB coach 3 is perplexed by Stroud’s S2 results. “I know when I watch him that (low S2 score) doesn’t make sense. I was shocked when I heard he bombed it. Did he not try? He didn’t throw many picks. He didn’t have a lot of really bad split-second decisions. I just didn’t see it. He’s great going through his progressions.”

Asked if he thinks a lot of people high up in the NFL put a lot of stock in S2, the third QB coach said. “Houston not taking C.J. (at No. 2) would be interesting. Are they really putting that much stock in S2 or, do they care that Dave Mulugheta is his agent because that’s Deshaun (Watson)’s agent, and they despise his agent?

“I know this: C.J.’s film is really good. I just wish I saw what I saw against Georgia at least one more time, in terms of his play extension. But it’s not his fault that they’re better than everybody and he wasn’t forced to do that. I know he’s capable of it. It’s in there.”

So what about Young? Is his size that concerning?

QB coach 3 said he would take Stroud ahead of Young. He has concerns about Young’s size, and those concerns aren’t the only ones.

“I think people are viewing Bryce as a perfect prospect otherwise, but he’s not perfect even without the size,” he said. “His arm is not strong. It is below what most of the better quarterbacks in the NFL have. I think he will struggle to make some throws to the field outside the numbers. On seam routes, crossing routes, he’s going to be a little late. His footwork isn’t good because he’s got this Steph Curry style, that’s like, ‘I’m playing like I’m not even sweating.’ It’s awesome, but you’re gonna miss on some throws being a tick late on time throws. He was a little loose in college because I think he knew I can get away with this. C.J.’s footwork was tight, really good. He has a much higher floor. Bryce has a higher ceiling for sure.”

He added, “I wish Bryce was bigger. It’s so frustrating. I do love his film. I’m a big fan of the person. I think he’s a savant. But if we had a top-10 pick, I’d be terrified to take him. Jalen Hurts just got hurt from being landed on and he’s a really big dude. Lamar (Jackson) hasn’t finished a season. They just get hurt, and these guys are way bigger than him. I had a guy (quite a bit) bigger than Bryce and he gets beat to s— and can barely finish the year. The team that takes him will say they’re gonna invest in the O-line. O.K., that’s awesome, but when he gets landed on — and he will — he’s going to break.”

QB coach 1 is worried about Young’s durability. “He’s been very successful, but that’s gotta be something that you look at. He’s not 6-2, not thick, but you can’t deny his talent and his ability. I like him better than I liked Tua (Tagovailoa). He sees the field a lot better. Tua is really effective in the RPO game, but I didn’t feel like he read the field very well. He fell back on some instincts — and he’s an instinctive player, which has gotten him to where he is. In the league, you’ve got to be able to see it, because things happen so fast.

“The thing that’s a little scary to me: I think we’re losing some of the track of the position traits when you’re talking about length and size. We keep talking about these 5-11, 6-foot guys. It’s gotten to the point where when you see a 6-2 guy at the combine, he’s a big dude. Go back five or six years ago, that was (Dak) Prescott’s year. There was (Jared) Goff and (Carson) Wentz. These guys were big guys, and when you look at the elite players in the league — (Patrick) Mahomes is a big dude; (Josh) Allen’s a big dude; Prescott’s a big dude. Hurts is not tall tall, but he is a big, thick dude.”

How can Young combat his size?

QB coach 2 said a big plus for Young is that he has a high release, so batted balls shouldn’t be an issue. “Baker’s (Mayfield at 6-1) got a low release, and that was the game plan when we play him. Just hang out at the line and it’s gonna get batted.”

“Bryce stayed relatively healthy in the toughest conference in college football. He’s a true distributor. I think he’s going to translate really good (but) obviously, it depends on where he goes. I don’t think it makes sense when people try to compare him to Kyler (Murray). They’re totally different people. Bryce is such a worker, and his off-field stuff is fantastic. I think (Young) is the true study of the short quarterback in this era, and luckily, I can watch it from afar.”

Which QB has the highest ceiling?

Coaches say it’s Florida’s Anthony Richardson. QB coach 3 said he has Richardson as his No. 1 guy, “which is not like me,” adding, “Who has been more physically gifted than him? Andrew Luck? Richardson has a more gifted arm and is much faster. Cam (Newton) is taller, but Anthony is much faster and with a more dynamic arm. Josh (Allen) is bigger, but their arms are similar, and Josh is not even close to as fast.”

QB coach 3 said Richardson is still very raw, but he would definitely roll the dice on him. “Teams have proven that you can do it with a (talented) guy that is ‘not ready.’ They do the Jalen Hurts model. Look at what happened in Philly. They tried to do it the normal way and they were like 2-5. Then they said, ‘OK, this isn’t working.’ We’re gonna get fired so let’s do the Oklahoma offense — and then they started winning.

“Anthony has shown so much raw ability, and the Florida offense is fairly complicated. When you involve that many shifts and motions, you still have to operate it. There’s some full-field progression reads. He’s reading three-level floods. It wasn’t just read the corner here or not every single play was an RPO or they cut the field in half. He clearly wants to be a passer. It’s just that he happens to run a 4.43 too. He is just so unique as an athlete. Josh Allen went to Wyoming and was playing against not good competition. If Josh Allen was QB-ing for Florida with that surrounding cast, how bad would his film have looked? And he had some bad film at Wyoming.”

“I don’t want to make an excuse for the guy, but look at what they had all around Anthony. They really only had a first-round guard, a Day 3 wideout and a freshman running back who might be pretty good. That is it. Cam carrying a nothing Auburn team to the national title, that is beyond impressive. Cam also didn’t play anybody like today’s Georgia team.”

QB coach 1 “loves” Richardson but cautions, “If you’re taking him, you can’t play offense the way a lot of teams are playing offense in this league. You’ve gotta play to him. He is a freak. Play to his strengths. Don’t put him under center. Let him develop into that.”

QB coach 1 is also really intrigued by Richardson’s potential, particularly as a passer. “This guy really throws it. When you look at him mechanically, he’s pretty good. He can throw with balance. He’s got base. He’s not real long. I love this guy. The film verifies some of that. I went and watched the FSU game, what was he 39 percent (33 percent) in that one. But you watch that film. Yes, there are some things you don’t like, but not one receiver made one play on any ball thrown. He threw a post on the money. Guy can’t make the play. He throws a 9-ball on the money. Guy can’t make the play. I know what the numbers say, but the numbers don’t always tell the truth.”

QB coach 2 said Richardson’s arm is on par with the strongest arms in the NFL, Mahomes and Allen. “I would pay to watch those three guys throw every day. Pat’s mechanics are all over the place, but he’s just a baller. Josh has gotten better mechanically every year. Anthony has the most natural and most consistent whip I’ve seen. And he’s 20. He hasn’t even turned 21 yet. I don’t see how this guy can’t do it.”

Never heard so much dodo being spouted over something so trivial & unproven. Joe Burrow had 1 very mediocore year and 1 awesome year in college. How do you determine which guy was the "real" Joe Burrow? Jalen Hurts got benched in the NTL title game for a freshman b/c he was not playing well. Both SB participants. Stroud's college career ranks right up there with there's. The tape says more about these guys than any 1 off test can... You simply can't measure or underestimate what good coaching & the right offense & playcalling can do for a guy nor can you really measure what's inside of a guy & how that influences his development...& any other year CJ Stroud is easily the #1 qb prospect.

Clearly some team is trying to get this kid to fall b/c they want him pretty bad....Only team that makes any kind of sense for is Indy..outside shot Seattle.

Arguably the worst thing to happen for guys like Stroud was Josh Allen breaking out. Has kind of skewed the draft away from polished guys and towards flawed QBs with raw potential.

Of course, it hasn't really worked out since Allen, but teams seem to keep swinging at guys like Zach Wilson.

I’m old school, just watch the tape, the tape never lies. Stroud has elite accuracy because his mechanics and natural athleticism. His size is ideal 6-2/6/4 that enables him enough mobility to escape collapsing pockets, yet enough size & strength to shake off tacklers. Somebody really wants Stroud or blood from the Texans.
:logo:

WaitaMinute... is he saying Lawrence, Burrow, & Stroud are better prospects than Mahomes & Watson, & Herbert, & Allen?

Hands down?

yup…none of the other guys you mentioned were viewed as hands down better prospects when they cane out…if they were they would’ve been taken much higher than they were.

Burrow and Lawrence were guys who at no point were rumored to be going any less than 3.

Mahomes and Watson were guys that had actual legit concerns around their health & play styles…which is how/why a bum like Mitch Trubisky was able to go much higher in the draft than they were..both were selected outside of the top 10.

Allen had legit concerns about comp faced & accuracy. I forget about what it was exactly with Herbert but the Dolphins thought enough of those concerns to take Tua over him…

Stroud has never been rumored to go any lower than 4 to Indy. He has the measureables, he has the accuracy..he has the arm strength, demeanor and personality, film….everything. The concerns regarding his reluctance to use his legs was answered in the college football playoffs…this S2 nonsense is just that nonsense.

People had question about Burrow because he only did it 1 year with elite weapons

Exactly…thats more of a legit concern than this S2 test crap on stroud. The difference with Burrow is that I don’t think any team thought there was a real possibility of him not being the #1 overall pick. thats how u know this S2 nonsense is pre-draft fuckery by some team trying to get Stroud to fall tho.

Stroud has never been rumored to go any lower than 4 to Indy. He has the measureables, he has the accuracy..he has the arm strength, demeanor and personality, film….everything. The concerns regarding his reluctance to use his legs was answered in the college football playoffs…this S2 nonsense is just that nonsense.

I don’t see what you are seeing. Schaub had more personality than Stroud. I have not seen leadership on the field. Plus he has been poor under pressure. Other than that Ok. Accuracy is appealing.

I would rather he go to the Colts or Titans and we build a awesome defense that rattles him every game.

Watching NFL Network, 1st rd of 2005 Draft. Alex Smith just went #1. Aaron is falling, can’t wait to see if Texans pass or select him, moving on from David Carr 😂

Reportedly, Green Bay has just traded Rodgers to Jets in a swap of #1’s (15 to 13) Packers also giving up their 5th for Jets 6th and next years #2 with incentives that could turn it into a first rounder.

Back to the 2005 draft- three freaking RB’s taken in first 5 picks. How times have changed (Ronnie Brown #2 Cedric Benson #4 Cadillac Williams #5). Never forget this, Texans traded down from #13 to #17 passing on two killer linebackers Thomas Davis and Derrick Johnson to select DT Travis Johnson (great guy but average player). Aaron Rodgers still on the board.

Reflect on history, don’t repeat a bad mistake, because you’ve become unglued, uncomfortable with what the talking heads say, who gives a flip! Draft the QB, regardless what others say, don’t keep repeating this viscous cycle.

I’m not saying C.J. Stroud is Aaron Rodgers, but his arm talent is similar, both in timing, accuracy and touch. 18 years of wear & tear, one Super Bowl, MVP’s, and Aaron still commands trade value. Don’t blow this and skip addressing franchise QB.

Aaron Rodgers selected by the Green Bay Packers with the #24th pick in 2005 NFL Draft. I don’t care if it’s Bryce or CJ just do it @ #2.

Last edited:
Watching NFL Network, 1st rd of 2005 Draft. Alex Smith just went #1. Aaron is falling, can’t wait to see if Texans pass or select him, moving on from David Carr 😂

Reportedly, Green Bay has just traded Rodgers to Jets in a swap of #1’s (15 to 13) Packers also giving up their 5th for Jets 6th and next years #2 with incentives that could turn it into a first rounder.

Back to the 2005 draft- three freaking RB’s taken in first 5 picks. How times have changed (Ronnie Brown #2 Cedric Benson #4 Cadillac Williams #5). Never forget this, Texans traded down from #13 to #17 passing on two killer linebackers Thomas Davis and Derrick Johnson to select DT Travis Johnson (great guy but average player). Aaron Rodgers still on the board.

Reflect on history, don’t repeat a bad mistake, because you’ve become unglued, uncomfortable with what the talking heads say, who gives a flip! Draft the QB, regardless what others say, don’t keep repeating this viscous cycle.

I’m not saying C.J. Stroud is Aaron Rodgers or in todays NFL RB is considered more valued position like it apparently was 18 years ago, take your franchise QB.

Aaron Rodgers selected by the Green Bay Packers with the #24th pick. 18 years later is still playing. Now following in his mentor’s footsteps Brett Farve, a Jet.

Sauce approves this move on twitch (need your own account to access).

wow, forgot about that
two rbs from auburn in the top five
!!!

Back