Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

It’s all we got. Don’t judge. It ain’t like we got much else going on around these parts. We have talked everything else to death.

And all the news comes out these days is “nfl source” or “nfl scout” or “nfl executive” who remains anonymous. It’s all for clicks.
True and I didn't disagree until McShay reported he had personally talked to Young and got updated information from the young man. At that point is when I changed my opinion.

You realize that Young has played football since he could walk, right? He played in the SEC. Against large humans. Does that not factor into your opinion?
How does it not factor into your opinion that a QB Young's size has never won a championship?

It's funny that you say that, because working the middle of the field is considered a strong point for Bryce Young. He just doesn't fit in the boxes people want to put him in.
He absolutely fits in the box I want to put him in.

He's not a unicorn. IMHO

Jerry Rice was to slow, Spud Webb was too short, Joe Montana had a noodle arm.

the only part you can’t measure at the combine is the heart. Give me Young with a chip on his shoulder ready to prove his doubters wrong all day, every day. Whoever lands him is getting a great player and leader.

after he proves his doubters wrong, we will hear all the history revisionists on this site and elsewhere that swear they knew it all along.

We won't have enough draft capital to get more than one good receiver so hopefully Cooks stays or we can bring in some decent vets. We need at minimum two strong receiving threats and a good receiving TE.
Nico Collins is almost there, but he doesn't scare the crap out of defenses. Queintin Johnson should and if Cooks stays, that should be enough - especially if Moore can keep up the good work.
That would be a respectable receiving Corp.
What if we took Bijan at 12 who can play WR and RB and Rashee Rice at 33? Then if we trade Cooks for a second and 4th that brings in two more players.

Cooks is gone, but there should be decent options on the FA market. Jakobi Meyers would be a reliable target for a young QB. Kenny Golladay and Allen Robinson will be released, and looking for a second chance.

I don't know what you're watching, but Johnston absolutely fits the profile (size, speed. RAC) NFL teams are looking for at WR. Metcalf, AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel. He may go before #12.

Collins looks the part, but he doesn't get separation, doesn't offer much RAC, doesn't get deep. Collins has good hands, but is little more than a big possession receiver. If he doesn't get better in year 3, you have to look to replace him.
I agree on Johnston vs Collins who needs to step up much more and hopefully will with Stroud passing. The best that Collins has going for him is knowing the system and cheap contract.

At the end of October McShay reported that he had spoke to Young and was told that his weight was 196#. Young, at that time, told McShay that his goal was 200+ by the combine and his pro day. I seriously doubt that he was playing with a "fake" weight gain of 10 pounds or a cheeseburger belly. Young is reportedly serious about football. Far more likely his weight gain is a combination of diet and training room.

Terry Bridgewater, at the combine, measured 6'2" and 214#. Take a look at the photo on Wikipedia. Appears he has a small wrist, making him small framed. Scroll down and look at the photo under Carolina Panthers. This photo really shows a small frame.

Some here say height is not so much the issue as is his small frame. I question this issue of his frame being an issue.
I think there is a post somewhere on message board stating young's current weight was 203.

You realize that Young has played football since he could walk, right? He played in the SEC. Against large humans. Does that not factor into your opinion?
My bad. I didn't know how unique he was.

Besides, I said weight/frame was only a single factor.

:kitten:

Last edited:
I agree on Johnston vs Collins who needs to step up much more and hopefully will with Stroud passing. The best that Collins has going for him is knowing the system and cheap contract.

I believe the team will get a new playbook for 2023, once the new HC and staff are on the scene.

If you tell me I can get Purdy as Mr. Irrelevant I'm on board. Purdy at 1-2 Pass
But you could have gotten him before he became Mr Irrelevant, now relevant. You don’t think it has something to do with the Shanahan system?

49ers are so close, but they won’t get by Philly with Purdy as their QB, Bryce on the other hand, would stand a much better chance. There is a difference worth the investment, otherwise why did they give up so much for Trey Lance?

Everyone keeps banging the drum for Young, Stroud, or Levis. I just don't see any of these QB's as RD1 material.....much less top 5 investments.

If Hendon Hooker had not been injured this season....I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if he became the top QB in the draft after the Combine and his Pro Day. If he was as accurate as he was for the past 2 seasons on the field of play, I could only imagine how sharp he'd be in shorts and t-shirt throwing the ball to his favorite receivers with no defensive pressure.

I'd have to say, getting HH in RD2 would be worth the trade up or trade back (from RD1)....even if he's doing nothing but developing for the first half of the 2023 season. I'd really be on board with getting (2-3) defensive studs in RD1. If a trade back from the 2 pick yielded the Texans DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), DT- Siaka Ika (Baylor), and SS- JL Skinner (Boise State) in RD1....who wouldn't be happy with these additions and their probable impact on the defense from Day 1? By the way, I think both Ika and Skinner will find themselves becoming RD1 talent.....size and skill will be too difficult to pass up.

But you could have gotten him before he became Mr Irrelevant, now relevant. You don’t think it has something to do with the Shanahan system?

49ers are so close, but they won’t get by Philly with Purdy as their QB, Bryce on the other hand, would stand a much better chance. There is a difference worth the investment, otherwise why did they give up so much for Trey Lance?
This is your opinion, I don't think Young could have played much better than Purdy has, in difficult circumstances, regardless of scheme.

BTW, I find it funny that you mention scheme, Young did well, just like all QB's do in BOB's scheme. How long do you think it will take to adjust to a WCO system?

BTW, I think Purdy's success has more to do with the weapons around him. The 49ers have the best set of weapons in the NFL. McCaffrey/Deebo/Kittle/Aiuyk. Pretty good stuff. The Eagles also have great weapons/Chiefs/Bengals, are you noticing a theme here?

This is your opinion, I don't think Young could have played much better than Purdy has, in difficult circumstances, regardless of scheme.

BTW, I find it funny that you mention scheme, Young did well, just like all QB's do in BOB's scheme. How long do you think it will take to adjust to a WCO system?

BTW, I think Purdy's success has more to do with the weapons around him. The 49ers have the best set of weapons in the NFL. McCaffrey/Deebo/Kittle/Aiuyk. Pretty good stuff. The Eagles also have great weapons/Chiefs/Bengals, are you noticing a theme here?

Your devaluing the most important position, QB.

Everyone keeps banging the drum for Young, Stroud, or Levis. I just don't see any of these QB's as RD1 material.....much less top 5 investments.

If Hendon Hooker had not been injured this season....I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if he became the top QB in the draft after the Combine and his Pro Day. If he was as accurate as he was for the past 2 seasons on the field of play, I could only imagine how sharp he'd be in shorts and t-shirt throwing the ball to his favorite receivers with no defensive pressure.

I'd have to say, getting HH in RD2 would be worth the trade up or trade back (from RD1)....even if he's doing nothing but developing for the first half of the 2023 season. I'd really be on board with getting (2-3) defensive studs in RD1. If a trade back from the 2 pick yielded the Texans DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), DT- Siaka Ika (Baylor), and SS- JL Skinner (Boise State) in RD1....who wouldn't be happy with these additions and their probable impact on the defense from Day 1? By the way, I think both Ika and Skinner will find themselves becoming RD1 talent.....size and skill will be too difficult to pass up.
Your love obsession with a Hooker is understandable, think we’ve all been there one time or another :money:

How?

Thinking Young isn't the guy to bring a championship to Kirby isn't devaluing the position. I value the position very much, that's why I'm not willing to settle for a midget just because they need a QB.

Your point was highlighting every other position offensively downgrading QB to irrelevancy.

Your point was highlighting every other position offensively downgrading QB to irrelevancy.

You can't force the QB position when a true RD1 QB within the first 5 picks isn't there. Media will drive the hype, but that doesn't mean squat. I believe the best players in RD1 are position players....and the majority reside on the defensive side of the ball.

My point is that I think picking a QB in this draft at 1-2 is a mistake. My other point is that the weapons around a QB matter and the Texans are severely lacking weapons.

Look at the weapons on the final 4 teams as a guide for what I would like to see a QB have to work with when it comes to weapons. Unfortunately with all of the holes everything I would like Caserio to do is almost impossible without trading future picks and I don't want Caserio to do this because those picks will be needed to draft a QB in 2024.

Patience is the key, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Just for quick reference purposes (2021 and 2022 seasons):

Bryce Young - Alabama - 5-10 @ 186 lbs
GS: 27 / CMP: 611 / ATT: 927 / CMP%: 65.7 / YDS: 8,200 / AVG: 8.85 / TD: 79 / INT: 12 / RTG: 165.35

CJ Stroud - Ohio State - 6-3 @ 218 lbs
GS: 25 / CMP: 575 / ATT: 830 / CMP%: 69.1 / YDS: 8,123 / AVG: 9.80 / TD: 85 / INT: 12 / RTG: 182.15

Hendon Hooker - Tennessee - 6-4 @ 218 lbs
GS: 24 / CMP: 435 / ATT: 631 / CMP%: 68.9 / YDS: 6,080 / AVG: 9.65 / TD: 58 / INT: 05 / RTG: 178.75

Will Levis - Kentucky - 6-3 @ 232 lbs
GS: 24 / CMP: 418 / ATT: 636 / CMP%: 65.7 / YDS: 5,232 / AVG: 8.25 / TD: 43 / INT: 23 / RTG: 150.10

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't force the QB position when a true RD1 QB within the first 5 picks isn't there. Media will drive the hype, but that doesn't mean squat. I believe the best players in RD1 are position players....and the majority reside on the defensive side of the ball.
I understand you believe none are worth a top 5 pick. I don’t understand you saying none are worth a 1st round pick

I understand you believe it’s better to target Henderson in the 2nd. But that doesn’t mean the others aren’t worthy of 1st round consideration

My point is that I think picking a QB in this draft at 1-2 is a mistake. My other point is that the weapons around a QB matter and the Texans are severely lacking weapons.

Look at the weapons on the final 4 teams as a guide for what I would like to see a QB have to work with when it comes to weapons. Unfortunately with all of the holes everything I would like Caserio to do is almost impossible without trading future picks and I don't want Caserio to do this because those picks will be needed to draft a QB in 2024.

Patience is the key, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Guess it went under the radar that my sig has changed to trade down and select Levis, lol

1674852160076.png

Last edited:
Who's on board with all chipping in and getting OptimisticTexan an "I love Hookers!" sweater? :D

LOL, I just see many wanting a QB in RD1 and my concern has more to do with historical track record. The Texans have to be one of the worst franchises since 2002 at properly developing their QB investments.

Deshaun Watson was seriously, from a strict football perspective, the most talented QB the Texans ever drafted. Sadly, Watson was never given an offensive unit that would allow him to truly escalate the teams fortunes during his short tenure. Watson’s ability to toss the crappy play call, the OL’s inability to protect, and still make something positive happen via the air or his legs was his calling card.

You can only hope that the next coaching regime that’s brought on board…..will have some concept as to how they want to develop a QB. Of the top 4-5 QB’s on the board, I see Hooker as the best QB for the Texans b/c he can do many of the same things Watson did on the field…..only he seems to have smarts, quite a bit more common sense, and an injury that would prevent the Texans from pulling the same new QB shite again. He’d get his development time by default. It was a shame he got injured late this past season, but what he did up to that point was impressive. As unfortunate as his injury was, it’s going to push him into RD2 or potentially RD3 (which I doubt).

Texans need a QB, but are in the middle of their rebuild. There are several needs, so if RD1 could be used to select 2 to maybe 3 top position players while still getting a top flight QB in RD2…..wouldn’t that be way to optimize the teams draft capital?

Last edited:
Just for quick reference purposes (2021 and 2022 seasons):

Bryce Young - Alabama - 5-10 @ 186 lbs
GS: 27 / CMP: 611 / ATT: 927 / CMP%: 65.7 / YDS: 8,200 / AVG: 8.85 / TD: 79 / INT: 12 / RTG: 165.35

CJ Stroud - Ohio State - 6-3 @ 218 lbs
GS: 25 / CMP: 575 / ATT: 830 / CMP%: 69.1 / YDS: 8,123 / AVG: 9.80 / TD: 85 / INT: 12 / RTG: 182.15

Hendon Hooker - Tennessee - 6-4 @ 218 lbs
GS: 24 / CMP: 435 / ATT: 631 / CMP%: 68.9 / YDS: 6,080 / AVG: 9.65 / TD: 58 / INT: 05 / RTG: 178.75

Will Levis - Kentucky - 6-3 @ 232 lbs
GS: 24 / CMP: 418 / ATT: 636 / CMP%: 65.7 / YDS: 5,232 / AVG: 8.25 / TD: 43 / INT: 23 / RTG: 150.10

Anthony Richardson - Florida - 6-4 @ 232 lbs
GS: 19 / CMP: 214 / ATT: 491 / CMP%: 56.6 / YDS: 3,078 / AVG: 8.05 / TD: 23 / INT: 14 / RTG: 137.55

I wanted to get Richardson’s name in on this since some on this board find him to be a RD1 or RD2 talent.

Who's on board with all chipping in and getting OptimisticTexan an "I love Hookers!" sweater? :D

In my youth, centuries ago, I was in the Coast Guard stationed on Governer's Island in New York when Governer's Island was still being used as a Coast Guard base. I think today it's a tourist island or something. In any case, on Fridays we'd all board the ferry for Manhattan in which we'd have our fill of alcohol, NY pizza, and hookers. :)

Bridgewater has missed a ton of games - 40 out of 128
- ankle injury
- knee (suffered pre-season, missed the entire year)
- concussions
- broken finger

Height & frame size are both important. Rules have opened up the middle of the field for offenses & any hindrance to seeing over the line down the middle is an issue that needs to be addressed schematically. Is his talent so big that we'd be willing to accept that limitation?
Not for a top 5 pick IMO.

+ Brees and Wilson are thicker built than Teddy & Bryce
Ok serious question here, would any of those injuries have been avoided with a different size frame?

Ok serious question here, would any of those injuries have been avoided with a different size frame?

We will never know, however players with his frame tend to get injured more often. There's a reason Teddy fell to the bottom of the 1st and evaluators were proven right.

Back