Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

Colts could be the team to move up to the #1 pick.
I hope they offer a deal da Bears can't refuse.

Colts Ballard appears to be very desperate to get a QB. It would put the Texans in an enviable position if the Bears decide Anderson is worth the 1st pick versus hoping he’d still be on the board when the Colts pick arrived.

The Colts next fear would be the Texans picking at 2. If the Colts would be willing to do anything for Young or Stroud…..I’d swap 1’s and then drop the hammer by asking for LG- Quenton Nelson as well.

Left side of the OL would be set.

LT- Tunsil
LG- Nelson
OC- Michael-Schmitz
RG- Green
RT- Howard

I believe the starting OL could be settled with 1 pick in the draft. Team could always draft another piece later for depth purposes.

Colts Ballard appears to be very desperate to get a QB. It would put the Texans in an enviable position if the Bears decide Anderson is worth the 1st pick versus hoping he’d still be on the board when the Colts pick arrived.

The Colts next fear would be the Texans picking at 2. If the Colts would be willing to do anything for Young or Stroud…..I’d swap 1’s and then drop the hammer by asking for LG- Quenton Nelson as well.

Left side of the OL would be set.

LT- Tunsil
LG- Nelson
OC- Michael-Schmitz
RG- Green
RT- Howard

I believe the starting OL could be settled with 1 pick in the draft. Team could always draft another piece later for depth purposes.
You would end up with the highest paid ol in the NFL. However that would be the best ol in the NFL.

You would end up with the highest paid ol in the NFL. However that would be the best ol in the NFL.

Maybe not that horrible monetarily with the new cap number and how it may be adjusted over the next 5 seasons:

LT- Tunsil (New Contract 24M Per Season)
LG- Quenton Nelson (Nelson Contract Good Till 2026 / 23- 12.2M / 24- 25.2M / 25- 22.7M / 26- 24.2)
OC- Michael-Schmitz (Rookie Contract 1st Year)
RG- Green (Rookie Contract 2nd Year)
RT- Howard (Final Season of Current Contract / New Contract Projection of 11M Per Season)

Jaguars currently have the highest paid OL at 53.4M per season. I don't know if this number includes the front loading of contracts to reduce the annual cost.

Could the Falcons be a dark horse to trade up to #2? Their QB going forward at this point is - c' mon guess....
Desmond Ridder.
They have #8, #45, #76 plus others in this draft.
Would you trade out of #2 for #8 and #45 plus their 1st next year?
I think I would.
That would leave us with #8, #12, #33 and #45 inside the top 46. Would bring a nice group of prospects in with those and you could still get Richardson or McKee.
#8 Tyree Wilson ED
#12 Quentin Johnson WR
#33 Tanner McKee QB
#45 Tui Tuipulotu DL
#65 Luke Wypler C.
#73 Jordan Battle S.
#101 Andrew Vorhees G.
#133 Roschon Johnson RB.
McKee might fall to #45 or more, but you want to secure him so a mild reach for a QB is acceptable. So far, that is some draft, with more picks to go.
Having 3 firsts next year would be nice...

Last edited:
Their latest update.
In scenario 1 - if a team has to have Stroud, they could trade up to #1 and that leaves Texans staring at Anderson. So, on the board you still have Young, Anderson and Carter. This could prompt a trade situation or Texans take Anderson.
Scenario 2 - Chicago takes Anderson leaving Stroud, Young and Carter. Here, someone offers Texans a trade and this raises a quandary for us.
If no one offers a trade, you have your pick of the two top QBs, Carter or even Will Levis or Tyree Wilson.
If you go D, a QB could possibly slide to #12, or you make a small jump up to get your QB.
That could cost you #33 and many would be vehemently against that, but if you can come out of round 1 with Carter/Wilson and your QB, that is a win.
Anderson at 1.2
Richardson at 1.12 with Kingsbury as our OC?

Love the Anderson pick - Richardson is raw and make take some time. Does have a great arm and wheels though. These two are a possibility.
Richardson is eerily similar to Trey Lance.
That’s why I added Kingsbury as OC. Wouldn’t consider it otherwise

Guess who?

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Sticks throws into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot on a slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open.
  • Traditional pro-looking QB - has elite size for the position - stands 6-6 and weighs 230lbs and has the elite arm strength to match
  • Stats may misrepresent his quality of play due to sub-par talent around him
  • Highly skilled in executing the west coast system - will likely transition into a pro offense with ease
  • Has great footwork and usually deals well with pressure
  • Flashes good accuracy to all levels of the field and has the arm strength to make every requisite NFL throw.
  • Big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey the field. Uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws.
  • Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into the pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
  • Has surprising speed as a runner for such a big man - has some escapability
  • Excellent height to see over the defense along with a super release that allows to him to avoid a number of sacks
  • Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
  • Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry
Suits the WCO. Like most QBs, his accuracy falls away somewhat when under pressure.
Tanner McKee. Stanford.

Last edited:
I have seeded my thoughts about the Texans #2 pick in various threads but here I will coalesce them because there are multiple scenarios.
To state the obvious, it is a very valuable pick and every consideration must be taken into account. I assume Texans FO are also of the same mind.
Firstly, to protect this pick, you take the most valuable course with it and avoid trading up with it as you also burn other picks which is counterproductive to a team in rebuild.
Secondly, trading up with Chicago is pointless as Chicago is not likely to draft a QB which means you still have first dibs on all the QBs.
Thirdly, if another team also desires the first chop at the QBs in a trade with Chicago, you could get into an expensive trade war. This is not necessarily a smart thing to do unless you are reasonably certain they are also after the guy you definitely have to have.
Fourth, you allow the trading team to take the #1 pick and then take Anderson, who must also be near the very top of the Texans board. Alternately, the QB you want might still on the board or if it was a toss up, the other guy is still there.
Fifth, another way to protect the pick is to take a bridge QB from FA with the intention of taking a swing at a top QB in 2024.
Lastly, Texans might consider trading this pick for additional picks this draft and the next to facilitate the rebuild and also add extra buying power for the QB of choice next year.
And that's all I got to say about that. 😉

Guess who?

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Sticks throws into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot on a slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open.
  • Traditional pro-looking QB - has elite size for the position - stands 6-6 and weighs 230lbs and has the elite arm strength to match
  • Stats may misrepresent his quality of play due to sub-par talent around him
  • Highly skilled in executing the west coast system - will likely transition into a pro offense with ease
  • Has great footwork and usually deals well with pressure
  • Flashes good accuracy to all levels of the field and has the arm strength to make every requisite NFL throw.
  • Big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey the field. Uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws.
  • Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into the pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
  • Has surprising speed as a runner for such a big man - has some escapability
  • Excellent height to see over the defense along with a super release that allows to him to avoid a number of sacks
  • Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
  • Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry
Suits the WCO. Like most QBs, his accuracy falls away somewhat when under pressure.
Tanner McKee. Stanford.
I've watched McKee and I don't see it

I've watched McKee and I don't see it
I get it - the Texans will not be the best situation team wise like Stanford, but he is worth a shot if you don't go QB with the higher picks.
I'm thinking if you don't go QB with the higher picks, you're bringing in a vet. McKee can be #3 on your depth chart initially until he learns the playbook and settles in. With a bit of luck, he can eventually be a better option than Mills as backup - not forgetting the team will be better with some astute coaching and influx of talent.

What Chicago Bears could expect in trade down with Houston Texans
The Texans own pick 65, and they own pick 73 from the Cleveland Browns. That, plus pick 104, their fourth-round pick could what does it. Or, 65, 104, and a future draft pick or two.

Most fans want a future first or something of that nature, but that is unlikely. For the Houston Texans to move up one spot, the highest they would offer would probably be a future second-round pick
This is a Bears fans website and sure hope they have a clue because if Ryans & NC want to trade picks with the Bears I'm skeptical that the most consideration we'd have to fork over is our '24 second round pick.

The Texans own pick 65, and they own pick 73 from the Cleveland Browns. That, plus pick 104, their fourth-round pick could what does it. Or, 65, 104, and a future draft pick or two.

Most fans want a future first or something of that nature, but that is unlikely. For the Houston Texans to move up one spot, the highest they would offer would probably be a future second-round pick
This is a Bears fans website and sure hope they have a clue because if Ryans & NC want to trade picks with the Bears I'm skeptical that the most consideration we'd have to fork over is our '24 second round pick.
If another team also wants that #1, a trade war could ensue and that's when it can get expensive. Likely cost us #33 and #65 in that scenario. Personally, I don't think any of these QBs are worth that much.

If another team also wants that #1, a trade war could ensue and that's when it can get expensive. Likely cost us #33 and #65 in that scenario. Personally, I don't think any of these QBs are worth that much.
Of course if there's competition with others like Indy for example the price for the pick may become steeper while at the same
time the Texans pick at #2 would remain more attractive to the Bears than a lower pick if they covet one particular non-passer in
the Draft, i.e., lots of moving parts here.

Of course if there's competition with others like Indy for example the price for the pick may become steeper while at the same
time the Texans pick at #2 would remain more attractive to the Bears than a lower pick if they covet one particular non-passer in
the Draft, i.e., lots of moving parts here.
Right.
If Bears go down to #4, they will miss out on Anderson because there is little doubt Arizona will take him.

I agree with your thought process on the price. I wouldn’t trade up for that much. We have too many holes to fill and need the draft capital to help with the rebuild.

There's really not much difference between Stroud and McKee.

Pass on both of them.

Some QBs are better than others to fix their flaws.

I am willing to see if our coaching staffs has confidence to fix Stroud’s passing under pressure rating.

We don’t know if the Ohio St coaches were coaching Stroud to play a certain way or not use his legs.

Some QBs are better than others to fix their flaws.

I am willing to see if our coaching staffs has confidence to fix Stroud’s passing under pressure rating.

We don’t know if the Ohio St coaches were coaching Stroud to play a certain way or not use his legs.

No other coaching staff has ever been able to fix Ohio St. QB's.

If you're going to fix guys with similar ability, then give me McKee in the 2nd.

Actually pass on both of them.

"In recent history, there have been two occasions when a top-five pick was moved, and the team trading down just dropped one spot.
Of course, we all remember the Chicago Bears moving up one spot to draft Mitch Trubisky. Beyond that, in 2012 the Cleveland Browns traded up one spot from third overall to fourth to nab Trent Richardson."

That right there is enough for me to say NO to a trade! Stay at 2 and take the top player on your board. I don't think any QB in this class is worth giving up valuable draft capital.

Last edited:
McKee is another Mills. I have almost no interest in him, and none at all until day 3.

I like, but don't love Hooker. I think he's got some upside if his knee is right and he lands in the right situation. I do think he needs a lot of help though. I haven't watched as much of him live as the 4 in front of him, but the so-called experts say he isn't asked to read the whole defense and that he'll need a lot of polishing in that area to make the leap. I might go as high as 33 on him, but with the knee I prefer the 3rd round...and he probably won't be there then. I trust Ryans/Nick on this one, as they will have a more complete picture.

Right now, I've got Young as my clear #1. I've got Stroud a notch or two down.. I've seen a bunch of both of them. Then it's Levis for me and Richardson very close behind him. I've watched quite a bit of Levis, and somewhat less of Richardson, but more than I have of Hooker.

I see Levis/Richardson as boom or bust with a low floor. I see them as high-risk choices. In 3 years they could be total studs, or building homes with studs. They both could be turnover machines early on and will need a lot of patience and a good set of coaches to bring out the best in them.

Young and Stroud are high-floor guys to me that are ready to play in 23 with good to excellent ceilings and very low bust potential. Those are my two guys, with a strong preference for Bryce.

As far as flyers on a later pick where you roll the dice and see what turns up...I'm honing in on 3 - Max Duggan, Aiden O'Connell, and Jake Haener.

I've seen a ton of Duggan. He impressed the hell out of me as a "gamer" type although somewhat limited physically. But against Georgia, he was terrible and I've downgraded him some. But in the 6th or that general area, I'll take any of these 3 and see if you get lucky. Worth a roll of the dice, even if you land Young or Stroud.

No other coaching staff has ever been able to fix Ohio St. QB's.

If you're going to fix guys with similar ability, then give me McKee in the 2nd.

Actually pass on both of them.
Someone fixed the air raid qbs and the Tedford qbs, right? Someone also fixed the Clemson trash qbs and the Alabama , pro style qbs too. Look at the prospect, not the school or the systems to which they come from is my opinion.

Back