Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

I probably wouldn't even draft Young in the first 2 rounds.
We’ve all got our own evaluations & they’re all valid. But if you’re targeting Young, you’re going to miss him waiting past the 2nd round.

he’s not a project. He’s ready to play day 1. He’s a gamble because of his size & his frame.

I wouldn’t make that gamble with a top 16 pick. But we drafted a guy with Lisfranc 1.3, so we’ve got a cavalier hip shooter pulling the trigger

We’ve all got our own evaluations & they’re all valid. But if you’re targeting Young, you’re going to miss him waiting past the 2nd round.

he’s not a project. He’s ready to play day 1. He’s a gamble because of his size & his frame.

I wouldn’t make that gamble with a top 16 pick. But we drafted a guy with Lisfranc 1.3, so we’ve got a cavalier hip shooter pulling the trigger
that's why I'm not targeting him. That's why I'm not taking him in the first two rounds. He's a high risk, high reward player, but in my opinion, the risk is too great to use a first round pick on him, when we have so many other holes.

I think that Cooks needs to go for what he did last year. But, Coach Ryans may be the guy that can reach out and turn the guy around. His contract is untradeable unless the Texans pay a big chunk of the guaranteed $$$. Cooks would be a nice target if he bought in. Still would rather have a draft pick. We'll see.

If Cooks could find that gear that got him past coverage in 2021.....then he'd be a very welcome sight in 2023. If Cooks buys into DeMeco and his OC....then I'm still drafting one of the following WR's; Quentin Johnston (TCU), Rashee Rice (SMU), or Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee). QJ will probably fall in the 4.3's and RR/JH in the 4.2's on Underoos Day. I really wish athletes had to gear up for the 40....it would really set the record straight.

Last edited:
If Cooks could find that gear that got him past coverage in 2021.....then he'd be a very welcome sight in 2023. If Cooks buys in the DeMeco and his OC....then I'm still drafting one of the following WR's; Quentin Johnston (TCU), Rashee Rice (SMU), or Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee). QJ will probably fall in the 4.3's and RR/JH in the 4.2's on Underoos Day. I really wish athletes had to gear up for the 40....it would really set the record straight.
Quentin Johnston or Rashee Rice at the #1, and move Cooks to the slot if he stays.

Football Fans are emotional. Most Football Coaches are emotional but generally must contain those emotions to make clear decisions. GM's better not get emotional or make rash decisions either in trades, draft or dealing with media (see Bill O'Brian). Example of a bad decision -

Team owner Cal McNair said in a statement that he “thought it was important to update titles, roles and responsibilities for Bill O’Brien and Jack Easterby so they more accurately reflect the way we have been operating for the past eight months.”

Yesterday, Cal McNair redeemed himself by hiring DeMeco Ryans Head Coach of the Houston Texans. Example of a good decision -

"We are thrilled to welcome DeMeco Ryans as the new head coach of the Houston Texans. For so many reasons, DeMeco is everything we are looking for in a leader and coach for our organization. He has a proven track record for developing high-quality players and constantly innovated his defensive scheme over the last six seasons in San Francisco. We started this process with the goal of finding someone our fans and city can be proud of and we've done just that. While we received a lot of incredible feedback and support for DeMeco from different people, it was our discussions with him and his vision for our football team that made him the right coach to lead us as we continue to evolve as an organization. Congratulations to DeMeco and his family and welcome back to H-Town."

We all make bad decisions, just hope the good ones outweigh the bad. Now we can put these past mistakes in the rearview mirror, last being winning that meaningful (draft wise) last game of the season against the Colts when we had the #1 pick in the draft locked up (Colts are likely suitors for the #1 pick and Bryce Young now belonging to the Chicago Bears). Texans can still draft a franchise QB in CJ Stroud. Would pair him up with his Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba if his medicals check-out @ the Combine? Both must be DeMeco guys, but see no reason why not, could be the ideal marriage. Ryans is requesting permission to interview/hire 49'er QB coach Bobby Slowik, I'm even more positive if Slowik is the OC hire. If Medicals don't check out with Njigba, not precluding them drafting RB in mold of a Christian McCaffery who can run between the tackles, kick outside, play in the slot and general be a nightmare match-up for opposing defenses, that's Bijan Robinson, RB UT. That's if available? Hate to think of this but imagine if the Eagles, not only might win the Super Bowl, yet have two first round picks one is in front of Texans #10 (acquired from Saints in one of the most lopsided trades I've seen, lesson to be learned here). You know the DeMeco Texans will want to run the ball a lot more, with Pierce would make dynamic duo and Stroud can distribute with accuracy.

Football Fans are emotional. Most Football Coaches are emotional but generally must contain those emotions to make clear decisions. GM's better not get emotional or make rash decisions either in trades, draft or dealing with media (see Bill O'Brian). Example of a bad decision -

Team owner Cal McNair said in a statement that he “thought it was important to update titles, roles and responsibilities for Bill O’Brien and Jack Easterby so they more accurately reflect the way we have been operating for the past eight months.”

Yesterday, Cal McNair redeemed himself by hiring DeMeco Ryans Head Coach of the Houston Texans. Example of a good decision -

"We are thrilled to welcome DeMeco Ryans as the new head coach of the Houston Texans. For so many reasons, DeMeco is everything we are looking for in a leader and coach for our organization. He has a proven track record for developing high-quality players and constantly innovated his defensive scheme over the last six seasons in San Francisco. We started this process with the goal of finding someone our fans and city can be proud of and we've done just that. While we received a lot of incredible feedback and support for DeMeco from different people, it was our discussions with him and his vision for our football team that made him the right coach to lead us as we continue to evolve as an organization. Congratulations to DeMeco and his family and welcome back to H-Town."

We all make bad decisions, just hope the good ones outweigh the bad. Now we can put these past mistakes in the rearview mirror, last being winning that meaningful (draft wise) last game of the season against the Colts when we had the #1 pick in the draft locked up (Colts are likely suitors for the #1 pick and Bryce Young now belonging to the Chicago Bears). Texans can still draft a franchise QB in CJ Stroud. Would pair him up with his Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba if his medicals check-out @ the Combine? Both must be DeMeco guys, but see no reason why not, could be the ideal marriage. Ryans is requesting permission to interview/hire 49'er QB coach Bobby Slowik, I'm even more positive if Slowik is the OC hire. If Medicals don't check out with Njigba, not precluding them drafting RB in mold of a Christian McCaffery who can run between the tackles, kick outside, play in the slot and general be a nightmare match-up for opposing defenses, that's Bijan Robinson, RB UT. That's if available? Hate to think of this but imagine if the Eagles, not only might win the Super Bowl, yet have two first round picks one is in front of Texans #10 (acquired from Saints in one of the most lopsided trades I've seen, lesson to be learned here). You know the DeMeco Texans will want to run the ball a lot more, with Pierce would make dynamic duo and Stroud can distribute with accuracy.

If Ryans want to run the ball more and Bijan is there at #12 he should be the pick. Dont worry about forcing the WR pick in this draft. Play Collins/Metchie and Rodgers outside this yr and play Bijan in the slot when he's not giving Pierce a break at RB. He's a threat to score everytime he touches the ball and you could get him 20-25 touches per game. 12-15 carries, 5-7 catches and 4-5 KR. This would make him worth the pick.

If you really want to run the ball and stop the run, then this is what the draft should look like and I would love this draft.

1-12 Bijan
2-33 Musgrave- a great blocking TE that can stretch the middle of the field. A perfect TE to pair with Quintariano, The run game would really improve.
3-64 Mazi Smith, I would trade a 5th and a 6th in addition to 3-64 to get this guy.
3-73 Stromberg.

I guarantee you this would make for a great run game.

NFL Draft Buzz has moved Hyatt to the #2 WR spot. NFLDB has also moved Nathaniel "The Tank" Dell to the #6 WR.

If Cooks stays, I'm totally on board with strengthening the run game and adding a LB, plus a WR in the 3rd /4th.

With Cooks

1-12 Drew Sanders
2-33 Musgrave
3-64 Iosivas
3-73 Stromberg
4-103 R. Johnson

Add in Ward/Edmunds/Ebukan/Best IDL and this team will be really improved.

Several teams have 5 picks or less in the draft and could make eager draft partners:-
Cardinals
Baltimore
Minnesota (4)
San Francisco (4)
Miami
Several other teams have 6.
I'd like to see Texans cobble some of those 6ths and the 7th together and move up.
We have 7 picks in the top 133.
The 5 picks below that are bonuses we can use to move up and grab additional higher picks. If they can get back up into the 150s, they can grab some nice talent still on the board.
NC has shown he is not afraid to move around so it should happen.

Last edited:
I keep seeing Stromberg as a 3rd or as our center pick and I just don't see him being my choice. The combine may change my mind but the mocks I see don't favor him and when I watched him play to see what the hype was I wasn't impressed.

I keep seeing Stromberg as a 3rd or as our center pick and I just don't see him being my choice. The combine may change my mind but the mocks I see don't favor him and when I watched him play to see what the hype was I wasn't impressed.
I am thinking we need to trade down one of the 1's, get an extra 2, and take Schmitz top of 2nd, maybe Avila later. I don't see Stromberg as the answer either anymore, good hype, just not seeing it backed up by play

I am thinking we need to trade down one of the 1's, get an extra 2, and take Schmitz top of 2nd, maybe Avila later. I don't see Stromberg as the answer either anymore, good hype, just not seeing it backed up by play

I'm for trading Cooks and 3-73 to move to 2-46.

Stromberg is better than given credit for. He's going to play a long time in the NFL. Right now I've got Mauch/Schmitz/Avila/Wypler/Oluwatimi rated above Stromberg.

I like Hyatt, but I see him as more of a Y or slot guy in the NFL. I think we need an X to go with Nico as a Z. I like Quentin Johnston in the 1st, Rashee Rice in the 2nd, Xavier Hutchinson in the 3rd, and Jonathan Mingo in the 4th, and Princton WR Andrei Iosivas in the 5th or later as X receivers. Other options, but would probably be better at the Z, are Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman, UVa WR Dontayvion Wicks, Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry, Missouri WR Dontay Demus Jr., and maybe Stanfor WR Elijah Higgins. Higgins might also be worth taking a flyer on as possible TE. He's got the height of Owen Daniels, but is about 10 lbs lighter, and quite a bit faster than OD.
Hyatt is not a slot, he's a boundary wr. He's a take the top of type but a good route runner. People will try to get physical because he's not the biggest guy, but in todays nfl, he fits in. He's a td waiting to happen but not restricted to 9 route. He forces defense to keep a guy over the top.

If you do a pff simulator and just took the guys rated at their spots, the Texans draft comes out as an A

If the Texans do take a qb at 1.2 do you think that Mills could be traded and, if so, what might he fetch? I’m assuming we also sign a vet to teach a la Garopolo?

If the Texans do take a qb at 1.2 do you think that Mills could be traded and, if so, what might he fetch? I’m assuming we also sign a vet to teach a la Garopolo?
Why would you trade Mills? You are going to need at least 3 QB's and Mills is cheaper than any other vet you might sign

I wouldn’t trade him. I saw an article that said he was a possible trade target. Just wanted to get opinion if they opted to do so
Plus he is settled in here and knows his team mates. Perhaps a new system and upgraded supporting cast might be what the doctor ordered. Not touting him for starter - just hoping for a better Mills.

Their latest update.
In scenario 1 - if a team has to have Stroud, they could trade up to #1 and that leaves Texans staring at Anderson. So, on the board you still have Young, Anderson and Carter. This could prompt a trade situation or Texans take Anderson.
Scenario 2 - Chicago takes Anderson leaving Stroud, Young and Carter. Here, someone offers Texans a trade and this raises a quandary for us.
If no one offers a trade, you have your pick of the two top QBs, Carter or even Will Levis or Tyree Wilson.
If you go D, a QB could possibly slide to #12, or you make a small jump up to get your QB.
That could cost you #33 and many would be vehemently against that, but if you can come out of round 1 with Carter/Wilson and your QB, that is a win.

Their latest update.
In scenario 1 - if a team has to have Stroud, they could trade up to #1 and that leaves Texans staring at Anderson. So, on the board you still have Young, Anderson and Carter. This could prompt a trade situation or Texans take Anderson.
Scenario 2 - Chicago takes Anderson leaving Stroud, Young and Carter. Here, someone offers Texans a trade and this raises a quandary for us.
If no one offers a trade, you have your pick of the two top QBs, Carter or even Will Levis or Tyree Wilson.
If you go D, a QB could possibly slide to #12, or you make a small jump up to get your QB.
That could cost you #33 and many would be vehemently against that, but if you can come out of round 1 with Carter/Wilson and your QB, that is a win.
Trade down if you can. Pick Carter and draft Hooker at 2-32.

One board I saw has Texans taking Noah Sewell at #33. Sewell is powerful in the gym and perfectly built (6'2" and 250lbs) for the MLB position where he excels.
Could do with some cleaning up with his tackling, but I'm sure DeMeco will help him with that. Otherwise, very desirable prospect.

Yes

Then probably draft Van Ness at 1-12, then trade into the bottom of the 2nd for Mazi Smith.

The DL would be really good for years to come.

If I picked Hooker at 2-32, I would pick Hyatt at 1-12.
I have been rethinking the WR position - perhaps we bypass them in the draft, or pick down lower - someone like Pacua or Iosevius the speedster.
I like the idea of building the trenches and one position we can make a huge upgrade on the OL is the Center and we could bring one in ex FA.

I have been rethinking the WR position - perhaps we bypass them in the draft, or pick down lower - someone like Pacua or Iosevius the speedster.
I like the idea of building the trenches and one position we can make a huge upgrade on the OL is the Center and we could bring one in ex FA.
I really like Pacua. I think he’s underrated and would be a great addition.

One board I saw has Texans taking Noah Sewell at #33. Sewell is powerful in the gym and perfectly built (6'2" and 250lbs) for the MLB position where he excels.
Could do with some cleaning up with his tackling, but I'm sure DeMeco will help him with that. Otherwise, very desirable prospect.

I would go with Daylan Henley at 2-32 if I was looking for a LB. Sure tackler, fast and can cover RB's/TE's. Poor mans Leonard.

What would you think about drafting Van Ness at 1-12/ Schmitz at 2-32/Mazi Smith after trading Cooks and 3-73 to get back into the 2nd rd?

Then drafting WR Micheal Wilson 3-64 (He reminds me of McLaurin) and one of Durham/LaPorta/Mallory at 4-103.

What would you think about drafting Van Ness at 1-12/ Schmitz at 2-32/Mazi Smith after trading Cooks and 3-73 to get back into the 2nd rd?

Then drafting WR Micheal Wilson 3-64 (He reminds me of McLaurin) and one of Durham/LaPorta/Mallory at 4-103.
Haven't had a good look at Van Ness yet but he has some hype. Will get back to you tonite.

Yeah I like Henley as well but Sewell has great size for the position and is said to have a high motor - love those guys.

Give me Henley over Sewell.

A LB corps of Harris/ Edmunds in FA/Henley would be the best LB corps since Cushing/Ryans/Reed. All can cover and are solid tacklers.

Give me Henley over Sewell.

A LB corps of Harris/ Edmunds in FA/Henley would be the best LB corps since Cushing/Ryans/Reed. All can cover and are solid tacklers.
Quick question for you - we need a Mike which Sewell is - can Henley play the middle?

Quick question for you - we need a Mike which Sewell is - can Henley play the middle?

Edmunds can and he would be my big ticket FA signing along with Ward and Ebukan.

The Defense would look like this.

DE Van Ness/ Greenard
DT Smith/Lopez
DT Collins/Hinrich/Stallworth
DE Ebukan/Hughes/Addison

LB's
SLB Henley/Wallow
MLB Edmunds/Hansen
WLB Harris/ Piere-Louis

DB's
Stingley/King
Nelson/Tremon Smith
Nickle- Thomas/King/Lae rd draft pick, I like Trice out of Purdue

Safeties
Petrie/Owens
Ward/M.J. Stewart

I can guarantee you this defense wouldn't be last in the NFL and record setting bad against the run. Checkout Van Ness vs Skoronski in the Iowa vs Northwestern game. Van Ness reminds me alot of Watt in how powerful he plays and he's got good quickness too. His best football is ahead of him.

Last edited:
If Cooks could find that gear that got him past coverage in 2021.....then he'd be a very welcome sight in 2023. If Cooks buys into DeMeco and his OC....then I'm still drafting one of the following WR's; Quentin Johnston (TCU), Rashee Rice (SMU), or Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee). QJ will probably fall in the 4.3's and RR/JH in the 4.2's on Underoos Day. I really wish athletes had to gear up for the 40....it would really set the record straight.
I highly doubt Rice is a 4.2 guy. He's kind of a strider and might be closer to high 4.4,4.5. I'd be surprised if he's a 4.3 guy. He doesn't run as fast, but is productive. Hyatt is a 4.3 guy all day on tape.

Edmunds can and he would be my big ticket FA signing along with Ward and Ebukan.

The Defense would look like this.

DE Van Ness/ Greenard
DT Smith/Lopez
DT Collins/Hinrich/Stallworth
DE Ebukan/Hughes/Addison

LB's
SLB Henley/Wallow
MLB Edmunds/Hansen
WLB Harris/ Piere-Louis

DB's
Stingley/King
Nelson/Tremon Smith
Nickle- Thomas/King/Lae rd draft pick, I like Trice out of Purdue

Safeties
Petrie/Owens
Ward/M.J. Stewart

I can guarantee you this defense wouldn't be last in the NFL and record setting bad against the run. Checkout Van Ness vs Skoronski in the Iowa vs Northwestern game. Van Ness reminds me alot of Watt in how powerful he plays and he's got good quickness too. His best football is ahead of him.
Well thought out.
I know Van Ness' stock has risen dramatically over the last few weeks.

Back