Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

I have a hypothesis for measuring a prospects physical abilities by comparing combine numbers with on field performance, but it would require a lot of data and film study. Some things you can't fake, like speed and strength. However, a player participating in the combine might have an off day and not perform to full potential or may just be better in pads.

Let's say you're evaluating a CB, but they had a 40 time of 4.6. Not good. But see if you can find a game where he played against a WR who ran a 4.3. Did he get torched or was he able to keep up? Say you're evaluating an OL who only got 25 reps on the bench press. Find a game where he went against a DL who got 35 reps on the bench press. Did he get blown up or hold his own?

If you can do this across the spectrum of prospects, you should be able to mine some gems. Of course, the players will also need to be evaluated for football IQ, how they respond to adversity, and other factors, but that would provide a good baseline.

I have a hypothesis for measuring a prospects physical abilities by comparing combine numbers with on field performance, but it would require a lot of data and film study. Some things you can't fake, like speed and strength. However, a player participating in the combine might have an off day and not perform to full potential or may just be better in pads.

Let's say you're evaluating a CB, but they had a 40 time of 4.6. Not good. But see if you can find a game where he played against a WR who ran a 4.3. Did he get torched or was he able to keep up? Say you're evaluating an OL who only got 25 reps on the bench press. Find a game where he went against a DL who got 35 reps on the bench press. Did he get blown up or hold his own?

If you can do this across the spectrum of prospects, you should be able to mine some gems. Of course, the players will also need to be evaluated for football IQ, how they respond to adversity, and other factors, but that would provide a good baseline.
Excellent strategy, but also sounds very time consuming.

You could probably work out a software program that compares positions and combine stats and cross references what colleges played against each other. Then it's just a matter of reviewing the game footage for the prospects you've targeted.
I'm really interested in Hyatt at the combine, he's got the game film and I'm going to bet that he's got the speed/vertical to go with it. Just gotta find out if he can beat press coverage. I'm betting he can.

Same with Achane who I think is the fastest guy in the draft. I can't wait to see his 3 come times. That guy's like the joy stick on a video game.

Check this guy out - not a burner but still runs 4.50. 6'3" 215lbs with big hands Has a very nice graph with good route running.
If we go for a second receiver in the draft he should be available around the 65-75 mark.

Tillman and Collins profile similarly.

Man was that scout spot on with his analysis of Collins.

I

I remember a conversation years ago. Couple of talking heads discussing Dante' Pastorini.

First head "That guy can throw a football through a 7th floor window." Second head "Yeah, but his reciever was on the 5th floor."
Think I posted this before.idonno: Not all memories can be recalled.:thinking:

Old Oiler memories die hard. :D I'll never replicate the Oiler memories with Texans memories.

:coffee:

I'm really interested in Hyatt at the combine, he's got the game film and I'm going to bet that he's got the speed/vertical to go with it. Just gotta find out if he can beat press coverage. I'm betting he can.

Same with Achane who I think is the fastest guy in the draft. I can't wait to see his 3 come times. That guy's like the joy stick on a video game.
I like Hyatt, but I see him as more of a Y or slot guy in the NFL. I think we need an X to go with Nico as a Z. I like Quentin Johnston in the 1st, Rashee Rice in the 2nd, Xavier Hutchinson in the 3rd, and Jonathan Mingo in the 4th, and Princton WR Andrei Iosivas in the 5th or later as X receivers. Other options, but would probably be better at the Z, are Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman, UVa WR Dontayvion Wicks, Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry, Missouri WR Dontay Demus Jr., and maybe Stanfor WR Elijah Higgins. Higgins might also be worth taking a flyer on as possible TE. He's got the height of Owen Daniels, but is about 10 lbs lighter, and quite a bit faster than OD.

I like Hyatt, but I see him as more of a Y or slot guy in the NFL. I think we need an X to go with Nico as a Z. I like Quentin Johnston in the 1st, Rashee Rice in the 2nd, Xavier Hutchinson in the 3rd, and Jonathan Mingo in the 4th, and Princton WR Andrei Iosivas in the 5th or later as X receivers. Other options, but would probably be better at the Z, are Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman, UVa WR Dontayvion Wicks, Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry, Missouri WR Dontay Demus Jr., and maybe Stanfor WR Elijah Higgins. Higgins might also be worth taking a flyer on as possible TE. He's got the height of Owen Daniels, but is about 10 lbs lighter, and quite a bit faster than OD.
The wr you want isn't in this draft. Although I think Hyatt has the potential to eventually become this.

I really like Iosivas and Mingo and have them both in the 73-104 range. Iosivas has game changing speed too. I can't wait to see him at the combine. He's going to light it up. Anybody know if he's playing in an all star game?

Mingo has all of the measureables size wise and has good hands. Can't wait to see what he runs.

More than X,Y,Z receivers I'm looking for playmakers. If Hyatt drops look for a team like the Chiefs or the Giants to pick him.

Last edited:
really like Iosivas and Mingo and have them both in the 73-104 range. Iosivas has game changing speed too. I can't wait to see him at the combine. He's going to light it up. Anybody know if he's playing in an all star game?
Andrei Iosivas is on the American roster at the Senior Bowl. Jonathan Mingo is also on the team.

January 25, 2023 4:45 pm CT
If you are still behind the curve on Lukas Van Ness heading into February, this is your alert. Mel Kiper Jr. has found out about Van Ness.

The latest to place the Iowa defensive lineman high in his mock draft, the longtime ESPN draft analyst projects Van Ness No. 12 overall to the Houston Texans.
A big blue-eyed blond Nordic DLineman from the midwest & Big Ten - I dunno gosh remind you of anyone ?
C'mon Mel they don't pay you the big bucks to be so obvious.
Hey anybody ever heard of this guy, and you aren't allowed to show us mock drafts prepared by the Proud Boys & Oath Keepers.

January 25, 2023 4:45 pm CT
If you are still behind the curve on Lukas Van Ness heading into February, this is your alert. Mel Kiper Jr. has found out about Van Ness.

The latest to place the Iowa defensive lineman high in his mock draft, the longtime ESPN draft analyst projects Van Ness No. 12 overall to the Houston Texans.
A big blue-eyed blond Nordic DLineman from the midwest & Big Ten - I dunno gosh remind you of anyone ?
C'mon Mel they don't pay you the big bucks to be so obvious.
Hey anybody ever heard of this guy, and you aren't allowed to show us mock drafts prepared by the Proud Boys & Oath Keepers.
I'll pass. Van Ness is a hybrid DT/DE. He's too small for a DT, and too slow for an edge rusher.

The talk about Stroud's abilities and talents have been attributed to the quality of the team around him - what if, like a good quarterback, he makes the team around him better?🤔
What if a college QB puts up great numbers, but his talent/ game only makes him an avg NFL QB?

Who’s everyone keeping an eye on here at the SB. I like the WR out of Princeton Andrei Iosivas. He’s got great size and speed.
He was a stud against lesser competition. Cant wait to see how he does against better competition.

Right now I've got him going in the 3rd. But if he shows well at the Sr. Bowl I could see him going in the 2nd. He's going to light up the combine.

Back