Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

I didn't say it was a mistake, I just said wr's in college with everyone running spread, the value of wr's are pushed down. I like Rice much like the kid gray from smu last year.
13 of the initial 54 picks in last year's draft were WRs. 10 of the top 59 in 2021. 13 of 59 in 2020. WRs are being pushed up, not down due to the 3rd WR becoming a starter and the 4th WR getting so many snaps. This draft is not as deep at WR as the previously mentioned drafts. That's why Rice will go late 1st/early 2nd.

I would bring back Akins with a friendly deal. I wouldn't draft a te that high unless he had wr type qualities.

I get this, but if the Texans are ever going to draft a TE this is the yr to do it. Major upgrades can be found in the 3rd/4th rd. The reason I like Mayer is I'm pretty sure he's a 10 yr starter.

I get this, but if the Texans are ever going to draft a TE this is the yr to do it. Major upgrades can be found in the 3rd/4th rd. The reason I like Mayer is I'm pretty sure he's a 10 yr starter.
Is that it? Just asking. Can he be an impactful player or a just a solid guy?

I think he can be an impactful player, if you consider a guy like Friermuth to be an impactful player. There's a lot of value in a TE that can block and get down the seams.
Yeah he looks like a great addition to any team - seems to have the happy knack of finding or making space.
Excellent possession receiver and a big dude.
Great safety valve for any QB.
I would be very excited if we took him.

Is that it? Just asking. Can he be an impactful player or a just a solid guy?
It would depend on the offense. If running a spread offense a majority of the time, a 1st round TE is a waste. If running 12 personnel, then a Y TE like Mayer that can impact both passing and run game could be a real boost. Whether Mayer is on the Texans radar will be determined by the coaching staff that is brought in.

Even if Texans somehow win this last game, they will still have top pick of the QB's as I cannot see Chicago picking anyone else than Will Anderson.
This will then open up the trade scenarios as the second pick is a LOT cheaper than the first.
I prefer this scenario as the Texans will still be masters of their draft destiny.
I would really prefer to trade with one of the other teams with 2 firsts and try to grab both of those or at least get their second this year as well as a first next year.
Gonna be a fascinating period up to and including the draft.

Even if Texans somehow win this last game, they will still have top pick of the QB's as I cannot see Chicago picking anyone else than Will Anderson.
This will then open up the trade scenarios as the second pick is a LOT cheaper than the first.
I prefer this scenario as the Texans will still be masters of their draft destiny.
I would really prefer to trade with one of the other teams with 2 firsts and try to grab both of those or at least get their second this year as well as a first next year.
The negative, I'd like to have that first pick in the 2nd round. This is a value trade option, as well.

If we have #2, someone could be willing to jump us to get their QB. Both SEA or IND could move to 1.

If we have #2, someone could be willing to jump us to get their QB. Both SEA or IND could move to 1.
I am hoping Seattle extends Geno and goes defense. They need a OLB like Anderson for their hybrid 3-4 defense. Hoping they want Will and trade up to 1 to beat out Chicago for him.

They’ll draft Anderson or get a ransom and trade down a few spots and possibly get Anderson still
If someone offers them a trade and it's obvious they're after a QB, then they would likely take it as their target would likely still be on the board as two QBs probably fall with the first two picks.

Assuming Cal and Mrs. McNair are concerned about the down trend in season ticket and merchandise sales, it can be safely assumed they have brought it up at board meetings.
The obvious solution is to generate some buzz among the fan base and the best way to do that is to bring in an exciting young QB from the draft.
I can't see any other position generating the same enthusiasm except for perhaps a top flight proven HC.
Carstereo can make a name for himself if he can swing both of these options and turn the dwindling sales down at Kirby 180°.
He has shown some smarts so far plus if the owners have made it plain they expect to see those sales return to their former glory, then I can't see Texans taking anything but a QB with their first pick and bringing in a new HC.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out as HC has some input too.

He is the consensus #1 pick in the draft - and with good reason. Besides his obvious skills, he is also very intelligent and has a high motor.
Defensive coach who traded their 2 best defensive players kinda fit the mold. Plus the legacy of defensive players has something to do with it.

1: R1 P1 DL Jalen Carter - Georgia
12: R1 P12 EDGE Myles Murphy - Clemson
32: R2 P1 WR Jalin Hyatt - Tennessee
64: R3 P1 EDGE Andre Carter II - Army
75: R3 P12 G Cody Mauch - North Dakota State
103: R4 P1 C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
136: R5 P1 RB Zach Charbonnet - UCLA
185: R6 P10 DL Moro Ojomo - Texas
198: R6 P23 S DeMarcco Hellams - Alabama
202: R6 P27 WR Michael Jefferson - Louisiana
204: R6 P29 EDGE Tyler Lacy - Oklahoma State
234: R7 P19 CB Cory Trice - Purdue

My mock draft. On The Clock hasn't updated order yet. I think not drafting a quarterback is a gamble. You're counting on the Texans to suck in 2023 as hard as they did in 2022.

It would depend on the offense. If running a spread offense a majority of the time, a 1st round TE is a waste. If running 12 personnel, then a Y TE like Mayer that can impact both passing and run game could be a real boost. Whether Mayer is on the Texans radar will be determined by the coaching staff that is brought in.
There are very few, if any te's who do both. Kittles is about the only one, but Kelce is the model in todays nfl imo. Hell Evan Engram was a huge factor in Jacksonville. I really like Akins even though he's an older guy by age, but he has movement and run after skills that are top end. I'm not saying pass on a te, I just don't see a te, Mayer included who can dictate coverage and punish defense. I've said before , a te who can just be a seam route guy and not a guy who can keep safeties and lbs inside and still win isn't as valuable high. Mayer reminds me of the former Vikings te from ND taken high a few years back. Not a bad player, but not as good as his spot warranted. A really good offensive mind can take an Owen Daniels, Kittles, Andrews, type guys and translate into a force.

There are very few, if any te's who do both. Kittles is about the only one, but Kelce is the model in todays nfl imo. Hell Evan Engram was a huge factor in Jacksonville. I really like Akins even though he's an older guy by age, but he has movement and run after skills that are top end. I'm not saying pass on a te, I just don't see a te, Mayer included who can dictate coverage and punish defense. I've said before , a te who can just be a seam route guy and not a guy who can keep safeties and lbs inside and still win isn't as valuable high. Mayer reminds me of the former Vikings te from ND taken high a few years back. Not a bad player, but not as good as his spot warranted. A really good offensive mind can take an Owen Daniels, Kittles, Andrews, type guys and translate into a force.
Honestly Brock Bowers in ‘24 would be amazing, but that’s too far down the line. I really like Kincaid in this years TE class.

Honestly Brock Bowers in ‘24 would be amazing, but that’s too far down the line. I really like Kincaid in this years TE class.

Depending on the next HC and his coaching staff’s offensive direction, I’d be perfectly fine with rolling into 2023 with Jordan Aikens, Brevin Jordan, Teagan Quitoriano, and a late round pick…..say, Zach Kuntz (Old Dominion) as the TE group.

On a side note, Kuntz comes in at 6-8 and 251 lbs. He also runs a very solid 4.57-40 which puts him in the elite speed class for TE’s.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if Texans go heavy on D with their prime picks.
I think they hit on a QB with one of their top two and the other pick will be DL and they get a nice WR with their 3rd.
I did a complete 1st round mock of all teams and this is what I came up with for Texans first 3 picks:-
#2 CJ Stroud or Bryce Young (tough choice)
#12 Bryan Bresee DL (very likely)
#33 Rashee Rice WR

Don't be surprised if Texans go heavy on D with their prime picks.
I think they hit on a QB with one of their top two and the other pick will be DL and they get a nice WR with their 3rd.
I did a complete 1st round mock of all teams and this is what I came up with for Texans first 3 picks:-
#2 CJ Stroud or Bryce Young (tough choice)
#12 Bryan Bresee DL (very likely)
#33 Rashee Rice WR
Not high on the QB's or Bresee.

Not high on the QB's or Bresee.
Agree on the QBs - Young is undersized but has "it" factor and Stroud is good size but doesn't have the "it" factor of Young!
Bresee otoh, has a 90.2 rating and #3 ranking among the DL. You're not baulking at the Clemson thing are you?😉

Interesting assessment of the QB class on NFLDRAFTBUZZ.COM :-
"CJ Stroud has a chance to eclipse Young this year and take his already excellent capabilities as a player to the next level. He does everything you want in a pro quarterback and excels in putting the ball where only his receivers are able to catch it.

After these two there’s a bit of a drop off in the form of Will Levis (Kentucky), Tanner McKee (Stanford), and Tyler Van Dyke (Miami) – but notably we rate all these players more highly than any from last year’s class."
I don't know how this assessment holds after a full season of ball - will have to investigate.

Interesting stat on QBs. Read the article here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/147430-the-quarterback-position-does-size-matter

Short (6'1" and under): 57.0% completion, 15.3 TDs/10.7 INTs, 23.1 sacks, 7.1 fumbles

Medium (6'2" to 6'3"): 61.2% completion, 18.6 TDs/12.6 INTs, 25.8 sacks, 6.4 fumbles

Tall (6'4" and over): 62.2% completion, 18.6 TDs/11.7 INTs, 28.2 sacks, 8.1 fumbles
What were the numbers after the article came out in 2009? What does the information say about the quality of the receivers and how many drop passes? What does it say about the offensive line that was blocking for them? Not attacking you Thorn but it just seems like another effort to justify inches.

Looking at as many QBs at the top as possible.
This is Will Levis:-
  • "Prototype QB standing at 6’4″, 230 pounds with the frame to survive contact in the pro game - looks like a linebacker
  • Has probably the strongest arm in the draft - claims he can throw the ball 80 yards, and from his play, we see no reason to doubt him
  • Has an elite quick-release, unusual for a player with such a strong arm, alongside fast info processing makes him ideal for a Sean McVay-style offense
  • Very accurate on intermediate and long passes; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
  • His stats at UK probably underrate his performance - where most of his interceptions were a result of receiver mistakes as appose to throwing inaccuracy
  • Has played behind a subpar offensive line at UK, meaning a high proportion of his passes were thrown under serious pressure, and he still has managed to take good care of the football
  • Showed incredible improvement after transferring to the UK - came from nowhere to develop into a serious NFL talent
  • Super smart student with 4.0 GPA - was offered scholarships to multiple Ivy League Schools
  • Consistently puts the ball into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot-on slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open
  • Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes
  • Has well-developed footwork and has experience operating from both the shotgun and under center
  • Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time, with the size and power to run over smaller defenders. Can be used on QB power, sweeps, and counters and is a major threat in the redzone."
Are we sleeping on Levis?

Last edited:
Interesting stat on QBs. Read the article here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/147430-the-quarterback-position-does-size-matter

Short (6'1" and under): 57.0% completion, 15.3 TDs/10.7 INTs, 23.1 sacks, 7.1 fumbles

Medium (6'2" to 6'3"): 61.2% completion, 18.6 TDs/12.6 INTs, 25.8 sacks, 6.4 fumbles

Tall (6'4" and over): 62.2% completion, 18.6 TDs/11.7 INTs, 28.2 sacks, 8.1 fumbles
The author of this very scientific report was the renowned CAPTAIN FANTABULOUS.

Interesting assessment of the QB class on NFLDRAFTBUZZ.COM :-
"CJ Stroud has a chance to eclipse Young this year and take his already excellent capabilities as a player to the next level. He does everything you want in a pro quarterback and excels in putting the ball where only his receivers are able to catch it.

After these two there’s a bit of a drop off in the form of Will Levis (Kentucky), Tanner McKee (Stanford), and Tyler Van Dyke (Miami) – but notably we rate all these players more highly than any from last year’s class."
I don't know how this assessment holds after a full season of ball - will have to investigate.
Not going to lie. I would be upset if the Colts get Stroud

Has he declared yet?

What were the numbers after the article came out in 2009? What does the information say about the quality of the receivers and how many drop passes? What does it say about the offensive line that was blocking for them? Not attacking you Thorn but it just seems like another effort to justify inches.
Don't like the truth put out there in cold hard numbers.

Not going to lie. I would be upset if the Colts get Stroud

Has he declared yet?
I hope we get him.
If Colts trade up to #1 and take him we get Carter or Anderson unless we trade back. Either scenario, I hope we take Levis.
May take a trade up from #12 to get him if we go DL with #2. If Stroud, Young and Levis are stolen from us, then sit pat and take Tanner McKee at #33 - he's my #4 ranked QB.

Looking at as many QBs at the top as possible.
This is Will Levis:-
  • "Prototype QB standing at 6’4″, 230 pounds with the frame to survive contact in the pro game - looks like a linebacker
  • Has probably the strongest arm in the draft - claims he can throw the ball 80 yards, and from his play, we see no reason to doubt him
  • Has an elite quick-release, unusual for a player with such a strong arm, alongside fast info processing makes him ideal for a Sean McVay-style offense
  • Very accurate on intermediate and long passes; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
  • His stats at UK probably underrate his performance - where most of his interceptions were a result of receiver mistakes as appose to throwing inaccuracy
  • Has played behind a subpar offensive line at UK, meaning a high proportion of his passes were thrown under serious pressure, and he still has managed to take good care of the football
  • Showed incredible improvement after transferring to the UK - came from nowhere to develop into a serious NFL talent
  • Super smart student with 4.0 GPA - was offered scholarships to multiple Ivy League Schools
  • Consistently puts the ball into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot-on slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open
  • Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes
  • Has well-developed footwork and has experience operating from both the shotgun and under center
  • Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time, with the size and power to run over smaller defenders. Can be used on QB power, sweeps, and counters and is a major threat in the redzone."
Are we sleeping on Levis?
For those of you who have not read this yet, I encourage you to do so.
It's from www.nfldraftbuzz.com

Reactions: JB
Also from nfldraftbuzz.com
I'm gonna make ya read to the end to see who this WR is. They have him ranked #1 WR
See if you can guess without peeking.
  • "Has elite speed - can eat up cornerbacks cushion in an instant and can beat even the quickest DBs
  • Recorded a 10.46 in the 100m and 21.14 in the 200m. He has run an electronically timed 4.31 40-yard dash and added 34.5″ vertical. He's probably even faster now
  • In 2022 he has shown he can totally dominate even the top secondaries in college football - he's pretty much impossible to stop unless double-covered
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size and also displays an impressive catch radius - has the frame to can carry even more weight.
  • Tracks the ball well downfield and consistently runs under long throws.
  • He is amazing as a catch-and-run threat, running hard and consistently picking up big yardage after the catch.
  • He shows elite initial quickness off the line of scrimmage, and he has enough strength to be able to consistently escape the jam at the next level.
  • A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
  • He’s a precise route runner, creating separation when used on quick outs and stop patterns in college. Has good stop-start ability and lateral agility.
  • Is an excellent blocker considering his relatively slight frame"
Jalin Hyatt - Tenn.
Hmm....

Thoughts on the theory/fear that the Colt's will trade up to the first pick.

It's obvious why Indy wants to be picking 1, but I'm not sold on Chicago being too keen to trade out of it.

Let's say Indy pays the price and picks 1, then at 2 Seattle jumps Arizona and Chicago to get their pick of the top D talent (Anderson or Carter and Houston picks up a reasonable return), Arizona picks up the other one of Anderson and Carter and suddenly Chicago is left with the second tier of talent, and Houston still has it's choice of the rest of the QBs.

Yes, it is a lot of moving parts; but with only 2 of the top 5 being truly QB needy Chicago cannot guarantee they get their guy at 4.

Or that's what I was thinking at about 2am last night.

Thoughts on the theory/fear that the Colt's will trade up to the first pick.

It's obvious why Indy wants to be picking 1, but I'm not sold on Chicago being too keen to trade out of it.

Let's say Indy pays the price and picks 1, then at 2 Seattle jumps Arizona and Chicago to get their pick of the top D talent (Anderson or Carter and Houston picks up a reasonable return), Arizona picks up the other one of Anderson and Carter and suddenly Chicago is left with the second tier of talent, and Houston still has it's choice of the rest of the QBs.

Yes, it is a lot of moving parts; but with only 2 of the top 5 being truly QB needy Chicago cannot guarantee they get their guy at 4.

Or that's what I was thinking at about 2am last night.
The flip side of all that is that Texans are in a prime position because it's more than likely Chicago goes D with the #1 pick and any team that has their eye on a QB just might offer Texans a nice package to pay for that privilege and it won't be anywhere near as expensive for the #2 pick.

Back